Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Willie Tomg posted:

Originally Eye of the World was written as an open ended stand alone title, which then got signed on for a trilogy. Which sold so well it became a hextology. Which ensnared such a large fixed fanbase RJ just started writing however the gently caress much he could until his death.

The Wheel of Time was pitched as a trilogy, and the original contract was for six books. The Eye of the World was never a stand alone title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm a lot happier with Sanderson's work, than I've been with Jordan for the last few books. It surprises me that Jordan thought that he would be able to finish up with one book.

Jordan was very optimistic about how long the series would be. Originally it was a trilogy and the first book ended with the sword in the stone.

I would personally way rather have the last books written by Jordan, but I'll take what I can get.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

AreYouStillThere posted:

^^ Edit: Whoops, new page. The other thread is probably better! ^^

I'm guessing at this point it's ok to talk without spoilers. The thread hasn't been kept up in ages, but technically we were all supposed to be finished with A Memory of Light in mid-February. Personally, I was disappointed. But the scene with Lan and the Wyld or w/e is human name was, was AMAZING. HOne of the most epic, if not THE most epic, thing I have ever read.

I have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it was amazing but on the other... Lan's line coming before the killing blow was a disservice to the character. Lan is not the kind of guy who talks poo poo until after the job is done, and he isn't the sort to take a risk just so he can deliver a wicked sick ice burn. I don't know if this is the case, and Lan certainly didn't either, but just because Bao couldn't touch Lan with the power doesn't mean he couldn't parry Lan's sword with a weave of air, or even the True Power (though idk if Lan knew that was even a thing). The line should have happened as Bao rasped his last breath, not before.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Or we are age 7 because the portal stones were made before the Age of Legends. But yeah, it has been specifically stated that our time is just another age on the wheel.

I've always wondered how dinosaurs fit into cyclical time. Can an age just be really really long of it needs to be?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
One of my favorite blink and you miss it Mat moments is in the Eye of the World. At the end when the Forsaken show up and one of them threatens Nynaeve Mat immediately shouts "Wisdom!" and attacks while everyone else is still standing there trying to process what the heck is happening.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

api call girl posted:

Or Mat. Every book.

No.

E: I don't disagree but unlike the other internal monologues Mat's is hilarious. Don't block it out.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

api call girl posted:

I'm not saying to block it out entirely for a first/only reading, just that you do have to be able do this to "get" the big POV characters.

I would say that Mat is the easiest to see the disconnect with. He denies who he is so hard and so flamboyantly (and other characters aren't intimidated enough by him to not look at him like he has gone daffy) that it is hard not to see that there is a disconnect between who he believes he is, or wants to be, and who he is. He is almost a bright shiny clue telling the reader to look at the characters differently. Jordan did the close third POV really well, and Rand is his master stroke. You have to take everything he thinks with a grain of salt. Series spoiler With Rand it's easy to do two reads. One the competent generic hero burdened with this insane but useful voice is the superficial read and it jumps out for a reason. The other way is to realize that Rand is a little too competent for luck to explain and look at Lews Therin as his own thoughts that he is trying to suppress given voice by his madness and stop trying to distinguish between the two you realize that Rand is freaking out almost all the time and desperately trying to hold it together. Which makes total sense. The first book alone would give someone PTSD

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
He was definately working his way there. In book 4 Rand was threatening to hang nobles for not passing his laws, losing his temper and shouting, and physically throwing them out. The scene where Mat is trying to get Rands attention by saying his name and being ignored until he quietly says "Lews Therin" and Rand looks right at him is chil inducing and that was in 4 or 5 I think.

That's the neat thing about it. The progression is really fluid.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
The best part is that they had a gray man with them, and were probably darkfriends, which only serves to justify his insane paranoia.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
^^ that's not entirely accurate. It was pitched as a trilogy, but the first contract was for six books, and Jordan knew pretty early that 3 (or even 6) was not going to cut it.

amuayse posted:

I just started this series like a month ago and finished The Dragon Reborn. I have a few questions: Why did Rand go completely crazy/depressed since the end of the Great Hunt? Is Mat's luck have to do with being ta'veren? Also, does every book end with Rand and his friends finding a magical artifact and then beating the crap out of the Dark One?

He was confronted with being the Dragon Reborn in a completely undeniable way. Being the DR is a very bad thing. Rand: "What could be so bad that people would want the DR to save them?" (Paraphrase from bk 1)

He has two books under his belt of hunting / beng hunted by unspeakable horrors, from the day the trollocs kicked in his door the closest thing he has known to peace and quiet is training with Lan.

He is being hunted by the Forsaken, which to your average person are literal demons from hell.

He has been isolating himself from his friends because as a channeler he is doomed to die ugly. Also at this point his control of channeling is very questionable and thusly as dangerous to his friends as his enemies. Recall that not channeling is not an option, so he is potentially a bomb waiting to go off.

He is being dreamfucked by Be'lal, and being told to go to Tear or his lady friends would be hurt.

He is also being dreamfucked by Ishamael, and has been the entire time.

The no kill order is at this point off. Meaning it's open season for Rand, and darkfriends are no longer trying to capture, which makes things a bit more dangerous for him.

Rand loses it because for a person not to lose it in those circumstances they would need to be the iceman.

Mats luck is left ambiguous but I personally think that at least some of it is innate.

And to your last question, no, and the "Dark One" Rand fought was actually Ishamael.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 26, 2013

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
IIRC it was two, and they were well aware of the situation to the point of collaboratively working out the scheduling. He said essentially that if he could manage two then the messiah could manage three.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Last Battle a Tactics You want to know what I wanted to see in the last battle, but didn't? A volunteer corps of kamikaze channelers. One channeler going nova can do a lot of damage, it seems like too useful of a tool to ignore during a war where all of creation is at stake. One channeler could have covered the Aes Sedai retreat from Demandreds attack, for example.

1. Not really.
2. Nynaeve gets better. Eventually. Elayne gets somewhat better, but also worse.
3. Yes he does. He topples monarchies like it ain't no thing.
4. Mat is easily the best character.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
The Two Rivers folk are more badass than they give themselves credit for. I think it's Gaul asking Perrin when they are on their way back to the Two Rivers to deal with the Whitecloaks if his people will be of help. When Perin replies that his people are farmers who don't fight Gual looks at him funny and says he has seen him, Mat, and Rand fight while carefully avoiding calling Perrin a liar.

Not to mention that you have a burly dude with glowing eyes and a legendary Aiel, really driving the fear home.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

veekie posted:

I just thought it meant the fight wasn't important to Mat.

For the guy reading. it wasn't important to Mat, per say, but Mat totally and deliberately planned it. After rolling with the Calvary for the last few battles (and thinking Daerid the footman leader guy who isn't a lord is the only sane one) Mat says this time he will be with the pikes, telling them to raise a shout "protect the Dragon Reborn", causing Daerid to tell him not to be a hero and causing Mat to think that Daerid doesn't know what the hell he is going on about it and as an aside Couladin is a jackass and it would be nice to ice him. And then it goes exactly to plan.

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm almost halfway through the third book, Dragon Reborn or whatever. Remember when I said I was glad it skipped the girls' time in Hogwarts? It's making up for it now. Why don't the magic Nancy Drews just ask everyone if they're Black Ajah or not?

Of course, if there is a real answer, don't tell me

Wait for it...

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2013

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Hopeford posted:

Finished Lord of Chaos. I had fun with the book, but it feels like the series slowed down a lot. There was always a sense of urgency in the other books as everyone kept moving from a place to another, but here it was more like...a lot of things happened, but it didn't feel like the characters were walking toward those things so much as, things happened then they reacted to it, I suppose? That and the book kept foreshadowing a lot of things that were apparently pushed to the next book, which bothered me a bit. Still, I liked the book.

Unfortunately the urgency doesn't ever really come back.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sanderson never wrote the phrase "the die had been cast, if not yet thrown"

The tempest telegraphed the tempest of tempest tempest. Send medical aid.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Earlier, way earlier. Shara and Murandy were the only options left pretty early and nobody gives a poo poo about Murandy.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
It was pitched as a trilogy. Books 1-3 were originally one book, culminating in the events of book 3.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could be wrong but I thought it was a little more complex than that -- pitched as a series of three to six books, they gave him a contract for one, then a contract for three, then a contract of as many as he wanted.

You can dig up the quotes if you want. Jordan pitched 3, publisher countered with an offer for 6 knowing Jordan liked to snowball (and it could be a mix of WOT and stand atones), and then at some point it became a different deal.

Original contract was for 6, Jordan had a relationship with TOR before WOT.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 31, 2014

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I had to look this up since I honestly have never been able to follow his story in the books, but can I just say how loving dumb Osan'gar's storyline is? I mean, you bring back one of your foresaken from death, and rather than have him make new types of Shadowspawn or more Gholams, he just pals around with Rand? Was his original goal to turn the Black Tower to the shadow? He just seems like the most useless of all of the foresaken, which really is saying something

He can't. There was a question of the week on this and Jordan compared him to a microbiologist sent back in time 2000 years. He doesn't have the tools to make the tools to make the tools... Apparently it was a fusion of science and magic that enabled his accomplishments.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah exactly this. Faile is the one character that really just bothers me on a bunch of different levels, literally nothing about her is good or interesting or funny. The only thing she did was ruin Perrin, who was an otherwise pretty interesting character.

We can talk about Egwene and Elayne all day and yeah both have issues but they feel more like real people to me than Faile ever did. They say and do stupid poo poo (especially Elayne) but they're not offensive. Faile is, in a way. To me anyway.

Anyway here's a cool thing that a guy posted on reddit

The rest of the thread is here http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2lpaa9/what_was_alluded_to_but_never_explicitly_stated/

The first Myrddraal seen by Rand and Co is an early version of Shaidar Haran. It smiles, displays a more powerful fear stare, and survives Lan and Moiraine, with one mentioning that it has the Dark One's luck to survive both of them.

The Fade that visits Carridan in book 3 is confirmed to be an early SH.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
It slides in under the radar because you don't know how Fades are supposed to behave, and then once you learn this gets written off as RJ having not quite worked everything out yet. It would be almost impossible to pick up on in a first read through.

I liked SH in the sense that he was a consequence for team evil. It's implied that normies are protected on some level from the Dark One, and that he has special abilities to influence those who are sworn to Him. I liked that the Dark One had near limitless power at the end to go personally visit his servants and get them in line, I just wish the protections thing was made more explicit.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
True Power stuff is only not broken if you care about others. With the True Power you can survive mortal wounds and teleport. If you are a glass cannon, that's about as good as it gets.

E: were doing spoilers I guess..

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
My major contention with the Oaths is the number. It should be obvious to anyone who gives it some thought that only the first one needs to be formally sworn on the Oath Rod.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

If you swore that you'd never use the Power as a weapon, fully intending to keep that oath, you haven't lied. And if, three minutes later, you changed your mind, well, you don't have to say a word to do it.

You seem to have forgotten what happens to people who successfully break oaths.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Zephyrine posted:

They get cursed to a lifetime of nagging by Gareth Bryne.

Truly, death would be a welcome release.

The thing about Egwene V the Seanchan is that she is a weak Top Tier channeler with knowledge of inversions and reversings and Vora's wand. I would not expect her to start dropping fancy weaves like Rand, but I would also expect her to cut through the Seanchan like a knife through hot butter.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 17, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Egwene had to die, she was too much of a had rear end to ever make peace with the Seanchan post Last Battle. Cadsuane (so) was actually perfect for the role. I could totally see her coming to an understanding with Tuon and having the Dammae all be freed if they swore an Oath to the Crystal Throne, which is something Egwene, hypocritically, never would have gone along with.

The Towerd of Midnight are a fortress complex in Seanchan that is only ever mentioned offhand, or it refers to the Forsaken themselves, like in Egwenes dream.

E: Because HA was polite about it.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 24, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Rand dies, but lives on in Morridins body.
Egwene, Siuan, Gareth Bryne, Bashere and Gwayn all die in the last battle. Everyone else important lives.
Lan almost dies dueling Demandred and killing him, but survives.
Moiraine is alive and gets rescued by Mat.
Moghedien is the only member of team evil to survive, but she is made dammae.
Thank dublish for the spoilers, I'll post more as I think of them.
Oh! Shaidar Haran does nothing important, and is never even seen by anyone not on team evil until Rand encounters his corpse at Shayol Ghul.

It was an honest mistake, but go gently caress yourself buddy...

E: Spoilers for da mod.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I'm sorry, it doesn't normally occur to me to use spoiler tags in a discussion thread about a book series that concluded two years ago.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I have said that. And people called me stupid for doing so. If you have a link I'd love to see it. As far as I know the only confirmed early Shaidar Haran is the one who visited Carridin in the prologue to TDR. IMO the smiling Myrrdraal in tEoTW is pretty obviously an early Shaidar. Or a mistake by Jordan, but I think most of the supposed book 1 mistakes were just set ups for much later.

Scintilla posted:

There are people like Zephyrine who are reading through and posting their thoughts. It is extremely dickish to post a bunch of spoilers simply because people asked you not to.

It's extremely dickish to insult someone for posting spoilers in a book thread that is well over two years old. It's extremely stupid to be reading such a thread when you haven't actually finished the books if you want to avoid spoilers.

It's almost as if when you are a dick to someone, they feel it is appropriate to be one back. I can tell you for a fact that if posters like dublish and scintilla hadn't been an rear end about the whole thing I would have edited in spoiler tags. As it stands, go gently caress yourselves.

E: Rand imprisons the Dark One.
E2: I'm not spoiling this one.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Don't bother, since you aren't being a dick about it I'll get you. Just so you know I'm on an iPad so this is actually somewhat of a pain in the rear end to do.

Though I have to ask why? Spoilers aren't against the rules in this instance as I understand them.

Ps: I didn't start the crapfest, though I did embrace it.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 24, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Start probating people who make a habit of reporting things that are obviously within the rules?
It's what I would do, but we have already established that Im a bit of an rear end.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I don't know if anyone noticed this but when I was politely asked to edit in spoilers I did. I actually agree with you, I'm just not inclined to sit idly and be insulted by assholes.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I'm not taking this seriously, I'm having fun being an rear end in a top hat.

That being said, I accept your apology, and as amends I have edited in spoiler tags.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
You have nothing to apologize for IMO.

And to answer your question essentially zero. Sanderson has his reservations about writing them, and Harriet doesn't seem thrilled about it either and it's ultimately her decision.

Considering how hard Harriet fought the e-books alone I'm just going to say no. There could be a movie, but I wouldn't bet on that one either.

E: there will probably be an updated Wheel of Time encyclopedia along at some point, and some of Jordan's notes have been released, but that kind of thing is likely all of the new WoT content there will ever be.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 25, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
It honestly seems that when it comes to navigating modern media Harriet has essentially zero skill.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the video game rights were sold back when it was still Jordan himself at the helm, though I could be wrong.

I wasn't trying to imply that she is worse than her husband in that regard.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Isn't the mountain itself usually refered to as "Shayol Ghul" while the Pit of Doom refers to the actual physical location where you can talk to the Dark One?

It didn't bother me, but I also really didn't think about it that much.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 26, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

Caemlyn is Camlann and Camelot.

Tar Valon is Avalon. (And a vagina!)

The third one you (McNerd) forgot is the Amyrllin or the Tamyrllin from the Age of Legends.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
IIRC the further you go back with Norse myth the more and more Loki and Odin blur together.

• Locked thread