Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

The big thing is that the Ranger has 16 strength, so he can use the strength pull on the composite bow to the fullest. The Rogue has 12 strength, so he can barely even draw it.

Rules wise, he can barely draw it and gets something like a -4 to hit. It's like the actual player trying to draw a 150 pound bow. There's no loving way.

Also, just tell him, in character, that next time he targets you with an attack, you're going to kill him. You're tired of it, he's had his fun, but you're not going to tolerate it anymore. And oh, the ranger, who IS THE ARCHER, gets the bow and the bracers. Just like the barbarian would get magic huge weapons. I'm sure the others would back you up on pretty much every point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

homullus posted:

#bear. Bear Bear Bear

Bear bear bare-pun bear bear barely-pun beared bearbear bear bear bears bearbearbearbearbear.

Yeah, I'm pretty much here, too. I miss awesome stories.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Over in the Shadowrun thread I've been doing a weekly recap of my ongoing and awesome Shadowrun game, and I figured I'd move it over here since it seems like it belongs.

Previous Recap #1
Previous Recap #2

Team Currently

:gay:Proxy: Proxy is my character. Proxy is of undefinable gender (I routinely switch pronouns and won't tell anyone his/her birth gender, etc), and is a social infiltrator/Face type of character. She's also a technomancer -- a hacker that connects to the Matrix without using equipment, only their brain -- but cannot hack herself, instead relying on digital sprites to do her bidding.

:clint:Humphrey Trollgart: A.K.A., gently caress you, I don't need no goddamn street name. Trollgart's a gigantic troll private eye with a slight hint of Magic (Magic stat is 1, haha). He's incredibly perceptive, but about as social as a nice slimy poo poo in a penny loafer. He's a pretty good driver and shot in a pinch, though.

:science:Mammoth: Mammoth is a tribal pygmy from the Congo. He's been a runner for longer than most of the team, but was recently Hung Out to Dry, meaning he has no contacts for some reason. He's wanted by a lot of people in Africa. He's a combat mage with an emphasis on thunder/lightning and healing, following the paths of a few of the pygmy gods.

:ninja:Traceur: Traceur is a Mystic Adept, meaning that he's both a mage and an adept. He's a French parkour superstar graffiti artist with a penchant for savate and inappropriate witticisms. He's also our physical infiltrator.

:engleft:Droid: The team's resident vehicle and drone rigger. Droid unfortunately couldn't make it to this week's game due to repairing his parent's house from the massive rains from a few days before.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Our DM is interspersing poo poo he makes up with adventures published by Catalyst (to give him a break from creating, he says). Basically, that means that this has a SHITLOAD of spoilers for the Dawn of the Artifacts campaign until we're out of this book.

I'm slightly (like, ten minutes) late to the game and am told that they started without me, saying that Proxy was in the bathroom. No biggie. Basically, they got the poo poo handled about talking to the money lender. The money lender says the best place to check for Samriel, the man we seek, is down at the technological part of town. We head there, minus Droid (who can't attend this week, and is handwaved as being fixing something) and Mammoth, who leaves to buy magical poo poo.

Mammoth goes to a talismonger with our friendly overpowered NPC Jane and ends up running into local gangers from the Area Boyz. The Boyz tell him if he wants to stay in their turf, he owes them 1000 Naira (the eqvilent of about 50 bucks). He tells them to gently caress off, and one of them slaps him and says, "1000!" Mammoth tells Jane he'll handle this (note, Mammoth is like 4'3"), steps up to the guy and says, "My boss," pointing to Jane, "has authorized me to give you $750." He hands it over, and considers it done.

The Boyz do not.

The lead Boy takes a swing at Mammoth and connects solidly. Mammoth at this point is pissed and decides he's had enough a mumbles out a quick Improved Reflexes on himself, allowing him to go multiple times in a round. The Boyz, being low level gangers, don't have anything that gives them this. He then lightning bolts one, blinds his friend, and threatens a third. Then he zaps them, too. Do not gently caress with the combat mage. He took them all out in a round. Mammoth's player is having a little trouble roleplaying the dude, so it was cool to see him do that a bit before the GM pushed all the character's buttons.

Meanwhile, we go to the techno bar and find out the elf was in fact there a few days ago, Proxy already knew this. He said he was going to an action at The Ohni's mansion. The Ohni is basically the king of Nigeria, and lives in a place called Yoruba Palace. We go back to the money changer and see about getting into the palace ourselves. It appears the artifact we're after might be sold at this auction, and the Ohni is having private viewings to up the interest in his collection. We buy a pass to the viewings, and then buy some clothes to fit in amongst the classy and a few other things too, in case we decide to steal it, like auto lock picks, monomolecular chainsaws, etc.

We also find out that Samriel is a member of a group called the Mystic Crusaders, a handful of fanatics that work for the Atlantean Corporation and are convinced they raise Atlantis from the depths. The Crusaders have an African outpost about 200 kliks from the palace. So Proxy buys two drones with some stealth software and hugely upgraded sensors; one she sends to watch the Crusaders HQ, the other she sends to watch the palace. Proxy also takes a fuckload of damage when she mentally creates a sprite that's far more powerful than her and orders it to stealthily hack the palace compound. She eventually gets full administrator rights, but the palace's Matrix security doesn't even know she's there.

Now that we have access, we check out important stuff. Guard rotation, guard backgrounds, list of guests (not complete yet), list of auction items, security procedures, etc. Items sounds good, so we check that out, and in doing so, find out that one of the items is the Pyraeus map. Jane loses her poo poo and calls her boss, who changes her mission from 'Find the sextant' to 'acquire that map no matter what'. She offers us 10 percent of the million NuYen the map's worth and I bargain us up to 15%. Yey. If we get it for her, we get 150k.

We head out to the palace and are treated like kings upon arriving. Also arriving is an Azteknology helicopter, but we can't tell who is inside. We walk around a bit, have a lunch made of delicious REAL FOOD before being shown the items. The palace itself drains anyone's Magic within it by 3. This means nothing to Proxy. But the vault compeltely negates any sort of Matrix communication. Proxy is suddenly without the Matrix for the first time since her emergence, and her Severe Matrix Addicition kicks me in the dick. She bolts to her guest room and stays there, shivering.

Trollgart, Traceur, and Mammoth examine the map and find that it also exists on an astral level to a ridiculous degree. Bonus! They tell me Samriel is actually inside the Vault, calmly examining the map with some red-haired elven woman. She's likely a Mystic Crusader as well, but we can't find anything out about her. They don't confront him, talk to him, anything.

Everyone comes back to the guest suite and we start going over plans. We don't want to steal the map. We're actually going to try to buy it (with Jane's mentor's money), but we know someone else might try to steal it. Proxy uses another sprite to go in the backdoor she made and get access to the Vault's video camera's. Trollgart and Traceur figure out the best time to rob the place is between 11:30 and Midnight, since that's the changing of the guard. So that's when we all watch, and so we see him!

An ork in camo gear appears on the screen for a second or two, grabs the two foot tall idol made of solid gold on the auction block next to the map, and then heads out. I try to follow him with the cameras, but I lose him. The guards search the palace, but we're basically told they'll be moving the items and that if we want to get into the actual auction, we'll have to bring the idol back to the Ohni.

We go back to our lovely hotel in town and talk to our floor's guard, who tells us the best way to find this ork we're looking for is to speak to the Hippo downtown. In thanks, we order a few assault cannons for him from the black market, and we call get a contact in exchange! Hooray for contacts. Anyhow, we go to meet the Hippo.

The Hippo is a massive black man, about six hundred pounds, with four flat canines and little else in his overly large mouth. Trollgart watches the bar while Proxy and Mammoth talk to him. Traceur sets up some of his art outside to sell and to watch the door. He tells us he knows the ork, and he would tell us who he is and where he is for a price. The price? We must deliver something across town. Proxy says they have a man that could get it done in half an hour, and the Hippo says she's bluffing. "Want to put money on it?" says Mammoth. Proxy grabs a sheet with the address from the Hippo and walks to the door, opens it, and holds the package out to Traceur. "Our contact wants this package delivered within half an hour. Go." And Traceur's off!

Lemme explain Lagos. It's a gently caress-off huge city in Africa with a population (in this time, in Shadowrun) of about 20 million. Everyone is poor, too, so everyone walks. The streets are constantly packed, people are forced to mill about slowly, etc.

Traceur, being a parkour superstar, climbs to the roof and starts roof running. Proxy patches into his GPS and his cybergoggles to give the bar a view of what's going on as he starts running and jumping his way towards the goal. Mammoth and Trollgart and Proxy all start taking bets from everyone. Some random Area Boy shoots Traceur, and for his trouble gets bombed with a grenade of nanopaint, and is now covered in neon pink dancing cats. Traceur is kind of loving awesome, I realize. He even stops mid-trip to tag the top of a van before bouncing off again, skimmer-skates allowing him to do crazy Jet Set Radio type of moves.

Satisfied, Hippo tells us that Silence frequents a brothel called the Three Friends a few miles away. We tell Traceur to meet up with us and head out. The Three Friends is a shithole, two-story affair that looks to be on the verge of collapsing. Traceur tells Proxy he's going to go watch the second floor windows and Mammoth speeds him up with Improved Reflexes in case the guy gives Traceur a run for it. Then Trollgart, Proxy, and Mammoth enter and a greeted by a tiny hooker, about age 12. Ugh. gently caress Lagos.

Proxy talks to the hooker (Named Sunlight or Sunshine or something) and asks if Silence is there. The girl doesn't know. We show her the picture and she says yeah, that guy is upstairs. I slip her 50 Naira and tell her to go wait somewhere else, and the three of us climb the stairs. Unfortunately, Trollgart is a goddamn troll, so the stairs creek. We get up to the door and try to listen to see if we can hear anyone, but we don't. Outside, Traceur peeks into the window and says that the ork is waiting on the right side of the door with a gun in his hand.

:gay: "Hey, guy, waiting next to the door. Are you Silence?"
:cry: "I... err... nope." *critical glitch on Con attempt*
:clint: whispers to Proxy, "Should I stab through the wall?"
:gay: "Yeah, but go low."

So Trollgart puts the big monomolecular sword he just bought through the wall at kneecap level and lances the guy's leg. The guy screams and bolts, right out the window, where Traceur's waiting for him. Traceur hits him with another nanoink grenade, blinding his rear end and covering him with dancing pink cats. Unfortunately, Silence knows the area really, really well, even blind, and gives Traceur an awesome chase before eventually flubbing an Acrobatics check and nosediving into the river. Traceur zaps the poo poo out of him and we take Silence alive.

It was a really fun night. Traceur and I probably got to shine more than anyone, but that's what seems like is going to happen with face-work and on foot chases, so no biggie. Hopefully once we get into a bit more investigative stuff, Trollgart will be able to shine a bit more, and combat with Mammoths and driving with Droid. Mammoth's player seemed to finally be really getting into the character and the system, so that was really balls-out awesome. The amount of power he can dish out is ridiculous. I like it a lot when everyone shines.

Today I learned:
You actually have to resist TWICE the number of hits sprites get, not just the hits. This beat the poo poo out of me in the game. I had to resist 8 points of physical damage from the sprite I overclocked.

Sometimes adepts don't need to be punchy. Had no idea. Silence is an adept pretty much built just for sneaking into places, and he's drat good at it. If Traceur hadn't hit him with that paint, we all would've been hosed if he'd decided to hunt us.

Sometimes "I shoot it" is seriously the most boring tactic. Traceur has that poo poo down.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

homullus posted:

That's nice but how is any of that Lawful, especially since your character is happy to kill people not even related to slights real or imagined?

It doesn't have to mean that he follows man's law, just that he has a code, really. His code seems to be one of not crossing him, constant planning, and deception. He's basically Asmodeus.

The problem with evil games is that there's always some dick PC who's going to steal from everyone else, stab them to take the item they want, etc. And then blame it on them being 'evil'. I mean gently caress, man. Even Nazis had buddies. It's not like writing that little word on your sheet gives you full leeway to be a douche nozzle.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Golden Bee, I don't know what that game is, but I want it. When is the playtesting over and the game being released?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I take a slight amount of umbrage with this because while a lot of the book is well and truly bad to a comical level (dread emperor, most of the "dirty/gross = evil" poo poo), there's also a lot of useful material in there for evil N/PCs, or at least decent concepts that can be fixed by a competent DM to be functional. Plus the book has my most favorite spell of all time: Grim Revenge. It rips off their hand and animates it as a wight that then begins to attack its former owner! And then the caster can take a free action to say "stop hitting yourself" because you have to at that point.

The one I always liked was Crushing Fist of Spite. It was like on of the Bigby's spells on steroids. You summon a huge gently caress off fist of hatred in the air that just keeps punching the ground, and it's about the size of a semi truck. And each round you can direct it to a new area to punch. You level up to be a wizard casting 9th level spells just to punch poo poo to death. I've always wanted to kill a boss monster with that ridiculous spell.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

"Honey, can we do butt stuff?"

"Roll 1d20+2"

DC is 35.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Make him suddenly very important. Rumors, pictures, a major reward offered, anything. Then they can go back to grab him and just have the container be open. They know he's out without knowing anything else about it.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Sorry. I attempted to explain in the actual posts but I also didn't want to cover the entire posts in explanations of the system rather then actually talking about the story. I'll make sure to explain further information in the future. If you have a specific question I can try to explain it better, I thought the most recent one I explained made sense, at the least.

Something like "this is being run in Exalted, let me explain the key concepts I will continuously talk about like Alchemical, Twilight, etc." That'd really help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Anyone have any stories about a meta game gone well? Like a game where people are playing a game where the people in the game are playing a different game?