Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Fuego Fish posted:

Lone Horse and Cub.

I may have missed the point entirely...but I read it as the centaur crafted the baby INTO a saddle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I'm currently running a pair of D&D4E games on these very forums and they are a best experience. The two groups are playing different teams working in different parts of a large garden/zoo/bestiary called The Garden. The Prince who owns The Garden is an obese loudmouth with almost no empathy or positive qualities, and the players are all Wardens - members of his employ. Some are volunteers, some are employees, some are slaves.

Earlier today, Juno, a pixie who works in order to avoid imprisonment for stealing from him, was snapped at by The Prince for asking a harmless question. She then went on to steal a gift box from under his very nose with an impressive steal roll, and some help from an NPC.

Taking the box outside, she opened it to find a small white lump and lots of fragile and warning signs. Now, though I didn't openly identify the item, i was expecting someone to pick it up and examine it to learn what it might be.

Instead, Ux, a kobold magician, sneaks from the room and tries to examine the box and the item with an arcane roll. Now, this sort of thing happens all the time - except Ux rolled a critical of 30.

30 points of arcane investigation to learn that the small, white lump is a piece of cheese.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I dont mind the concept of wands/rods of Wonder, but I think they need to be treated like I treat them in something like Crawl or Nethack.

"Oh cool - something that might help at the last minute if I'm at 1HP and have used all my potions. Maybe I'll turn to stone, or get a +1 to Acrobatics checks, or summon a Baal...or maybe it'll teleport me to safety."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

A smug sociopath posted:

This reminds me of the "Mystery pills" we used to have in our Paranoia campaign. They lead to some hilarious crap. Of course, that was Paranoia. They might not be so much at home in a serious setting.

Yeah, from what I understand of Paranoia, having an item where you can get a random affect is pretty much awesome because the worst case scenario (you shake the wand and everybody bursts into flame and dies - nice job dickwad) is still amazing if done at the right time.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

If you'd spent hours coming up with something then that would suck - as it is that'd kind of cool. You threw something together, everybody had fun even if they were wasted, and hopefully you didn't have to put too much effort into keeping everyone going/not hurling.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Elfface posted:

and that was the last Dave posted.

Oh god, poor Dave. I can only imagine the terrible boredom that Choose Your Own Adventure books provided as a child.

"
Pg. 93

Come, great adventure awaits through the portal, if we are quick then perhaps we can still save your friends!

To enter the portal of Adventure - pg. 302
To go home and not Adventure - pg. 10"

"Pg. 10

You go Home.

The End."

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Finally got around to introducing my friends to P&P and we had a blast. Thought Dungeon World would be a good place to start so we rolled up a few dudes and I ran them through a heavily edited Indigo Galleon adventure. They totally got it straight away and had a blast, will probably start running a monthly game night or something soon. Couple of stories.

The party
They roll up a cleric, fighter, ranger and bard. Despite having absolutely no experience with RPGS all but the bard drop Charisma as their lowest stat. The adventure begins with the party being welcomed into a coastal society. So I think about it and it's like:

"Okay so the party come in to town. There's this rear end in a top hat ranger who hates all animal life with a battered hawk flying around him with the tags [savage] and [intimidating]. There's this tall, spooky witch with pulsating purple hair who talks to an invisible god. There's this eight foot tall fully armored giant who lumbers around a gigantic axe with the tags [intimidating] and [huge]. At the front is a chubby bard with a lute and a sandwich asking 'ello can we come in your town?"

Because he was the only even slightly social character, the bard did a load of awesome things. Before the entire town the party agree to go and track down a murderous pirate who has gone missing in the neraby flatlands and the guy playing Florian the bard starts describing how he starts the crowd chanting the opening beat to We Will Rock You, before making them stick out their hands so he can run down high-fiving them one by one.

gently caress Hawkeye
Due to misinterpreting the word 'nature', one girl made an elfen ranger who only loved the flora half of nature. He had a hawk called Hawkeye that he sent to scout, attack, but generally cared nothing for.

:)Okay, hard choice time, the frog monster grabs Hawkeye from the air and throws him straight at you. Hawkeye is spiralling through the air and is on course to hit you in the chest, which will cushion the blow but send you flying into the sea. Instead, you CAN"
:parrot: Yeah I do that
:) What?
:parrot: Whatever it is that means I don't go into the sea. gently caress Hawkeye.

My weapon is my wit!

Later on the party get captured by frog people. Fearing an outright battle, they agree to go along quietly to the dungeon (which is where they want to go anyway). One by one the frogs ask them to surrended their weapons, and all of them do. When it comes to the bard they ask "what is your weapon?" and the player replies "the weapon is my wit!"

:) The frog people have no understanding of the word, they look to one another in confusion, then insist that you surrender your wit immediately.
:banjo:Okay!
:) So you lay your rapier down?
:banjo: No, here is my wit! I dig into my satchel and grab one of my rations, a pig in a blanket, and delicately place it on the ground as if I'm handling a live grenage.