Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

coffee fixation ... decade-long game

This wouldn't happen to also be the reason behind your username too, would it? :allears:

Also if you have any more stories about this game, please post them. I'm trying to get some friends of mine to get a Star Wars d20 game together and I'm already going to show them the one you just wrote, but more is always better. Plus with a game running for that long, even with hiatuses and playing infrequently, you must have a lot of anecdotes to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

It's not pokemon, but I'm thinking of adapting Mage into a Harry Potter game. Set at Hogwarts during World War 2. I'm thinking of playing it grimdark and seeing what hilarity emerges.

I would play this. I would play this so hard. Please do it and report back with stories.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

berenzen posted:

So that's the story of the 5 million pound living meteor. It's not much, but I can say that I don't think I'll ever be able to pull off anything similar for a fairly long time.

Oh gently caress yes, this was awesome. I love the Mistborn setting. You should type up any other good moments from this game that you remember.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Verloc posted:

Me: :stare: So let me get this straight, you're going to kill hundreds of innocent people and scar the collective psyche of the entire nation so that you can be "sure" you hit your target, then use the opportunity to get back at the Emerald Claw and get your bar's primary competition shut down by the government?

Party: Yeah we're also gonna use the propaganda potential the bombing generates to get our guy into office.

This is amazing, your players are amazing, I want to play D&D with all of you.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Well no, he's half-right. Give them a wide variety of situations, that require a precise composition of skills to successfully and peacefully resolve a number of different challenges. And let the goony motherfuckers blast their way through every tense situation, carelessly popping a large number of caps into an extensive variety of asses. Because a dude who trudges from one war to the next, endlessly mowing down motherfuckers might be content, but a guy who walks into the peace delegation and shoots the enemy leader in the face, before fighting his way to the spaceport and nuking the enemy's capital city is a certified loving badass.

This is what I would do. Give them whatever you feel like is a "regular" amount of reasonably difficult-to-resolve encounters and obstacles and let them blast their way out of the inevitable trainwreck every such encounter will result in. Intersperse those with situations that are obviously meant to be resolved by blowing poo poo up. That way their limitations are clearly outlined but ideally everyone still has fun, even while that is happening.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 26, 2012

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Let me tell you about the first time I DMed D&D

This is an awesome story and your players sound awesome. It's always nice when players are fine with dying when the dice don't fall their way, and it's always nice when a DM lets "broken" characters be broken, and then hits them with an actually challenging encounter that feels all the more epic because they're used to things dying by the dozen to them.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let's hope you lot at least have bit parts in your GM's collaborative novel.

From the way I read it, the named characters were the PCs and that was the GM's recap of the previous session. Am I wrong?

e: oh yeah no that was it. That's pretty loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Just like any other group of people, druids have very selective morals.

They value all life. Unless you happen to be making life poo poo for nature. Then you are compost.

In 3.x, anyway, Druids just have to be Neutral on one alignment axis. I like NE Druids who believe primarily in "survival of the fittest", and try to become apex predators. Death is a part of the circle of life, and all that.