Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Whybird posted:

I prefer the approach of "Awesome. You're roleplaying being an unstable sociopath with no respect for the law. Good for you. Now you get to roleplay through the consequences of being an unstable sociopath with no respect for the law."

I find the problem with that is that you are essentially rewarding them for being a dick. Their punishment for being a toolbox is... that they get to be the focus of the session and the centre of attention!

Nah, I personally believe that in 100% of cases you are better off just cowboying up and speaking to the player rather than the character. Its perfectly reasonable when someone says "But I'm roleplaying! Its what my character would do!" to respond "Well, your character is a dick and no-one would want to be in a party with him. Its not fun for anyone else.". As the character is fictional having him act in a way that allows everyone to enjoy the game is not exactly a big ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yawgmoth posted:

I dunno, maybe it's just because I've played more pokemon/magic/etc. but I've heard decent amounts of both good/clever/lucky gameplay and crazy folk/bad players.

Mr. Maltose may have the right of things as far as this thread goes, at least.

RPG good/bad experiences are more transferable I think. "Then he killed the giant using only a pair of nail clippers!" or "Then he tried to bribe the mafia don using money stolen from his own safe!" dont really require you to be intimately familiar with the game system invovled. "The time my Kurgan deck decapitated a Connor deck despite only have one life and having to come within one card of exerting to exhaust cards and top-deck an upper attack when, as it turns out, he wasnt holding an upper-left block" requires you to know some of the rules of the Highlander card game to understand.

I mean, dont get me wrong, that was sweet as gently caress, but if I were to go into detail about it peoples eyes would glaze over. Wargaming "notable moments" are similar; Only notable if you know the system/scenario. So notable moments about card/war games tend to be about the players, not the games, and the interesting stories will be negative, as "We played some blood bowl, had a good time" is less notable than "The time one of my friends had a meltdown literally threw another out of his house after losing 5 times in a row despite spending more on one card than his opponent spent on his whole deck".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

God Of Paradise posted:

Oh god. It's like the orgasm that doesn't stop. Oh god his tears taste like artisanal chocolates mixed with beyond my league pussy juice. They are so good. He tried to grapple a mind-flayer and then lie about his own pluses. And then I ate his brains. Oh god. I can taste his brains. It's like filet mignon in beyond my league pussy juice with onions and mush-rooms.

Pidmon posted:

yeah you sure showed that jerk for the other players not wanting to deal with the grapple rolls, how dare they not have memorised the monster manual to know that they should've also attempted a grapple with the mind flayer (but remember the guy who already grapple rolled is the bad guy here and also he's a rules lawyering jerk for knowing what's in the MM)

Hey, dont be too hard on him. 14 is a tough age, and at least now hes interacting with some people, that's got his mom of his back at least.