Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

The Good Professor posted:

This wouldn't happen to also be the reason behind your username too, would it? :allears:

Also if you have any more stories about this game, please post them. I'm trying to get some friends of mine to get a Star Wars d20 game together and I'm already going to show them the one you just wrote, but more is always better. Plus with a game running for that long, even with hiatuses and playing infrequently, you must have a lot of anecdotes to share.

Yeah I'd love to hear more about this game. Rebellion is my favorite era for Star Wars but I can never get any of my friends to DM it. They always want to run KOTOR era which I know nothing about and see as kinda dumb. I've wanted to do a game similar to the one you're describing for a long time, probably since the first Dark Forces game where it showed that the Rebellion had their own bad rear end secret squirrels handling business throughout the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

tzirean posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't played SWTOR, so that may set all this on its head.

I have a bunch of friends who don't like Star Wars but loved the KOTOR 1/2 settings, and I think the appeal is just the deconstructing that era does (kinda half-assed in Bioware's case, pretty full-throated in Obsidian's) to the story: when is it good or bad to be a Jedi, when is the existence of the Jedi a good or bad thing, what kind of collateral damage do the Jedi do to the planets and people under their influence, etc.

I think these are interesting questions, but I tend to dislike Jedi in general and the setting is loaded with them. Like I've always preferred Han Solo to Luke Skywalker because Han gets by on his wits and skills. While Luke is skillful himself, it always seems like he has to use the Force to bail him out and it feels like a cop out. I guess Han feels mortal to me and the risks he takes feel more real while I expect the Force to save Luke if he gets in over his head.

What mainly appeals to me about the Rebellion setting is that the players are the underdogs. There's no Jedi Council for them to run to if they're in trouble and after a few levels they are probably more powerful than some of the Rebellion's heroes. While the Empire has Vader, Emperor Palpatine, countless troops and endless credits, the Rebellion has...the players.

I think that's what always appealed to me about the X-Wing book series. The pilots failed or died occasionally because they were in the dirt fighting the battles that matter.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

:words:

This is pretty awesome, considering that Interdictor Cruisers are one of the most valuable capital ships, strategy-wise. Especially since you have a gigantic fleet of Trade Federation drone ships. What ambushes/battles did you set up with it?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

treeboy posted:

i think this is even contradicted. There was an issue in the Han Solo Corellian trilogy where they had to deal with a sector wide gravity well that was preventing ships from jumping into the inner system (and sublight would take years)

The bakurans came to help and had a technology that used a series of microjumps through the gravity well to make it through the interdiction field. The problem was the hyperdrives were designed to essentially burn through a series of fuses as the physical process put huge strain on the ship and it's engines (the trip was described as extremely uncomfortable for passengers as well)

It's been a long time since I've read those, but I think you're right. I forget what their system was called, but it would detect gravity wells that should revert them to realspace, then create a bubble in hyperspace so it kept them in that dimension while the hyperdrive technically shut off. Their momentum in hyperspace kept carrying them along until they passed the gravity well and then it would cut back on.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

A smug sociopath posted:

Jay: Well you know what, yeah, it hits the Van! Then you get hit by lighting, and an airplane falls on your car! You're both loving dead, how's that? Gimme your character sheets!
Me, John: :wtf:

I am GOD HERE! Give me your pitiful character sheets so that I may rip them in twain. See now the sleeping giant you have awoken with your hubris.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Last night I played a Pathfinder game where a DMPC Wizard completely outshone the party while we were defending the Keep on the Borderlands from troglodytes. We fought like 10 guys while he summoned an ettin and killed hundreds.

Way to make us feel heroic. :smith:

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

Politely tell the DM that you play DnD to go on heroic adventures with the other players, and that moping up an NPC's left overs is neither heroic nor fun. Then politely leave if there isn't an immediate improvement.

But the fight still rages on! Only 10 more spells of higher level than I am capable of casting and he will be completely spent! Oh wait, he's the magic shop owner so he has a million staves and wands.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
So we played my gently caress around 4e game last night and the party was advancing through a cave to get to a tower that overlooks a fortress that blocks access to the valley they live in. The fortress has been taken over by orcs and other beasts, so they're trying to make a covert entrance by getting up to the tower and rapelling down the side of the cliff.

At this point they've fought a few goblins and hobgoblins working in formation that beat them up pretty good, and after the fight I wanted to call the game because it was 11 already and the next encounter wasn't really ready. They wanted to go on, so I just went with it, I had a basic idea of what I wanted to happen but not how I wanted it to conclude. All I really knew is that I wanted them to run from a big juggernaut ogre that destroyed the environment as he chased them.

They found a big room off the main upward slope with a big rock in the middle of it and some chains attached to it. The ranger sneaks up and hears a snorting sound, and the rock unfurls and he realizes with a Nature check that it's a gray ogre. The beastmen use them as near mindless siege weapons, turning them loose on cities to cause destruction and chaos. He's not sure if anyone has ever actually killed one, but knows that it only has terrible vision and a good sense of smell. In the dark cave, it's near blind but it detects him through scent and is looking around.

He grabs a rock and throws it across the cave, causing the ogre to break it's chains and run over there while the ranger stealths back to the group and tells them they need to go. They set a trap to trip the ogre if it tries to follow them and proceed up to a ladder and a trap door.

The assassin and the ranger stealth up through the door and find some bugbears sleeping, so they quietly move around and coup de grace them. As they're getting to the last one, they hear a crashing sound and a pissed off roar from below them. The clanky cleric runs up the ladder just in time as the ogre's head pokes in to the tunnel and looks up through the hole with one eye.

The ranger runs over to the edge and Twin Strikes the eye, hitting with one of the attacks and blinding it in one eye. It roars in fury and on it's turn uppercuts the ceiling and is waist-high in the tower with them. The ranger tries to plink off it's other eye but misses, and the party starts fleeing up the stairs that line the sides of the 100' tower. About this time, minion goblins start coming down from above to attack the party, but seeing the ogre pissed off, they get about half way and turn around to head back up.

The ranger is at eye level with the ogre and hits with both his twin strike attacks to the eye, blinding it completely. It climbs out of the hole and blindly swings at where he was, completely taking out some of the stairs and part of the tower wall. The party can see sunlight streaming in from the hole and below them, the fortress they wanted to covertly attack.

They keep running up the stairs to escape while picking off the minions, one of which falls off the stairs as he dies. The ogre runs to the sound and bashes that wall too, which causes the tower to begin to creak and groan. Big chunks start falling from the ceiling and it's obvious it's going to come down. The Bladesinger uses ghost sounds to make it sound like the Ranger is near the hole the ogre cut before, and on it's turn it rushes headlong to the location, straight through the wall and into a 60' freefall, plummeting into the central structure of the fortress and penetrating 3 floors deep. They can hear it still alive and pissed off as orcs begin swarming it trying to get it under control.

The tower is really going down now, so the Ranger and Assassin charge headlong through the ogre-sized hole, using Acrobatics and a rope to cling to the cliff. The cleric and bladesinger aren't as quick and fail their Endurance/Acrobatics/Athletics checks to move out of the way of falling debris and lose some healing surges. They finally get out on to the rope as the tower continues collapsing and swaying. The ranger realizes it's going to topple over in their direction, so they start navigating around the cliff face using pitons and rope. They actually manage to clear enough distance that he can plink off a few of the bugbears that are looking out of the windows for ways to escape.

The tower comes crashing down directly on top of the fortress they mean to assault, killing just about everyone in there. The party meanwhile is clinging to a cliffside using a complicated rope harness system waiting for the dust to settle. We had a really good time, was one of my favorite games in a long time.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

I don't know yet! Ask me in two weeks when we hopefully finish the battle (and possibly the game, depending on how the GM feels about it)!

I love your stories because I can't punch holes in them. Usually when I hear about a Star Wars game, I sperg out about little details, but your run down of Coruscant's defenses were really accurate.

How were you guys able to pierce through the shields to land troops? I see you gave the order for the shields to drop, but was this the work of the commando teams you had sent in earlier?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Bitchtits McGee posted:

From the way he's run things so far, I'd be surprised if the GM didn't know about it already. In fact, I'm a bit worried that he does... :tinfoil:

I'm fairly sure he knows about the Lusankya, it's from the Rogue Squadron books and it looks like he pulled Coruscant's defenses from there. It's Star Wars's Guantanamo Bay but no one actually knows where it is, they assume it's out in deep space somewhere because that's how the prison is designed to feel.

If I remember correctly, one of the entry points is in a part of an old museum that was sealed off by the Emperor, but I believe it was in his district.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Thats a slur, I have known some very fine pigs!

How often does this happen? Going over to someones house to game? I kind of assumed it was all done in various shops and things and then if you liked the people there it was when you went back to their houses.

I've gone to a stranger's house twice to game, usually it's because the host is a friend of a friend. I don't think I'd ever go back to a random person I met at a gaming store's house without knowing them for a while.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
So I play a Pathfinder game every week and it's been getting progressively worse. The Rogue is close friends with the GM and found a dagger in one of the first sessions (at level 1) that was worth 25,000 gold. He sold it and bought all kinds of stuff for himself, not splitting with the party even though the dagger was originally in the party's loot pool. In contrast, we're now 5th level and the ranger in our group has a set of +1 chainmail and a handy haversack as his only magic items. This will be important later.

We are in a random dungeon that showed up as we were walking through the Underdark that's full of traps. The rest of us pretty much twiddle our thumbs while the rogue disarms them for an hour at a time. We finally get to the bottom of this side dungeon and find a door and a corpse outside of it burned by a trap. I use Blood Biography and find out he was drained by vampires, and tell everyone we should probably go. They decide to press on, so I hang to the back of the group waiting for a good chance to flee if I need to.

A vampire immediately rushes out and almost instagibs the barbarian in the surprise round, we start normal combat turns and I get a Haste down on everyone. The Barbarian goes to swing and misses with a 26 total. The Ranger gets some lucky rolls and we end up taking her down, but it turns out her AC was 29. We're level 5, most of us without magic items that matter, and I think everyone needed 17's to hit her while she was autohitting for around 35 per round.

There's another vampire inside who's shooting flaming arrows at the monk who ran in, turns out he has a 29 AC also. I stick a Glitterdust on him and he loses all his Dex bonus so his AC goes down to 21. He ends up going down like a bitch, but only because he was blinded. We destroy their coffins and find all their stuff, including Greater Bracers of Archer and a +2 Flaming Composite Longbow (+3 Strength Pull).

The Rogue suggests that he and the Ranger roll off for it, whoever wins gets the bow and the loser gets the bracers of archery. The Ranger doesn't want to, I tell him that it's pretty terrible since all he does is shoot and he doesn't even have a magical weapon. The rogue offers to hand him down his +1 magic composite bow if he can have the new one. I tell the rogue that he has all this good poo poo and the ranger has nothing and his defense is "but I bought all that with money from that dagger I found!" :psyduck:

He keeps hiding behind that dagger being the DM's mistake for putting in such a high value item. The DM doesn't get involved in any conflicts, just pretends to be doing something else any time it comes up or ignores my facebook messages that he needs to watch out because things are becoming heated and adversarial between players. It's the most frustrating thing in the world, not because I am greedy for magic items (I've actually gotten nothing in 5 levels, but I'm a wizard, who need them?), but because the rogue can't see that it's an apple of discord and keeps rubbing it in.

For bonus points, the DM gave us a Wand of Wonder that has 600 things that can happen and infinite charges. Our last game, over an our was spent with people pointing the wand at eachother to see what would happen. What ended up happening: Someone gained a +4 (untyped) bonus to strength permanently, the ranger grew wings permanently, a player had to talk in a rhyme until we can break enchantment on them, the monk caught a disease, and a bunch of random spells happened. Apparently it can instant kill you with no save as well, and can target people not involved in the wand pointing. I was tempted to throw it in an acid pit we crossed over because they kept using it and hitting me.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Rods/Wands of Wonder are usually (not always but most of the time) an indicator of a lovely DM. They can be fun and entertaining and even useful, but more often than not it's just a way for the DM to say "I made a wacky table that no one but me gets to look at! You should roll on it to see what zany thing happens next!"

It's pretty much exactly how it's being used, except the players are trying to leverage it for mechanical benefits. I really, really want one of them to die from it, but part of me knows that it's going to bounce and hit me or someone else who won't go near the drat thing.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Regardless of how the Rogue got his gear, he still has more/better than everyone else. That automatically eliminates him from loot pools until everyone has the same amount of gear. How is this even an argument? I mean, jesus, just point him to this thread.

The worst part is that the money he spent on gear came from the party's pool. Everyone got like 400 gold after splitting the normal loot, but he keeps all 25k from selling the dagger.

The big thing is that the Ranger has 16 strength, so he can use the strength pull on the composite bow to the fullest. The Rogue has 12 strength, so he can barely even draw it.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

evol262 posted:

Right, because borderline behavior in a D&D game is totally worth severing a friendship over. Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

I wouldn't really call the guy a friend, more like a friend of a friend and that friend happens to be the DM.

Hmm...how to explain this. This group of people is a group I played with just as I had graduated High School and D&D 3.0 had just come out. The DM was the first guy to try his hand at running it at the card shop we frequented, and ran a fairly successful campaign. It ended because the Rogue player couldn't show up, so he stalled the plot and made us all fight in a city arena for about 3 sessions before we finally decided we didn't want to do it anymore.

The DM moved to Austin for a bit and then came back recently. He started up a game with the Rogue and a few others, then eventually invited me because they needed more people, specifically more people who knew the system. I made a wizard because they were missing it and offered to make an Evoker so that I wouldn't be all game breaky, but the DM encouraged me to challenge him. Unfortunately, that's meant I end encounters then wait 5 rounds for them to finish their death throes.

There's been a schism developing between the Rogue+the Cleric and the rest of us, as they have a lot of gear that seems awarded through favortism and seem oblivious to others. The Rogue on a few occasions has offered gold for someone to assassinate whatever party member happens to be annoying them at the time (we thought this was a joke, but he insists it is sincere), and the Ranger has said the next time he tries to make that deal, he's getting shot.

The reason we haven't told him to pack his poo poo is that he's a close friend of the DM, and I'm sure that if one goes, so will the other.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Zandar posted:

I remember an old Dragon article which had some comedy items, one of which was the Robe of Useless Items. The only one of its contents I remember was a doorframe which attached itself to openings (no door attached).

The other was a Robe of Blending. It had four settings. The highest was "puree".

Is this the one that had the Ring of Spell: Turning? It seemed to be a Ring of Spell Turning, but whenever a spell was cast at you, instead of turning it back, a loud voice would proclaim:

"TURNING: T-U-R-N-I-N-G. TURNING."

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I think for a good Star Wars game you have to have a DM who's a combination of knowledgeable about the time period and willing to let you be big drat heroes doing ridiculous things.

One of the few times I played, I was a hacker working for the alliance in a Rebellion era game. The DM knew a lot about the universe, but hated when people tried to do things outside the box.

We were escaping from a Star Destroyer and had gotten pinned down in one of the docking bays, so I hacked in to a console and accessed the TIE fighter launch controls. I used the claws that maneuver the TIEs to drop one right on top of the door that the stormtroopers were flooding in through, causing it to collapse in on itself and block the doorway.

We started getting ready to steal a shuttle when another door opened and the same troops poured in. It was just so deflating that we never really played again after that. Later I asked the GM about it and he said that he didn't expect us to do that and that we were supposed to get captured, so he had to reboot the encounter.

I have not played with him again.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Getting frustrated with my current Pathfinder game.

We're travelling through the Underdark to get to Menzoberranzan to take down one of the houses that has been attacking the surface, because that seems like a totally good idea for 5th level characters. We were ambushed by some Drow and they used really annoying darkness spells that made combat slog and take forever. The priestess could cast Deeper Darkness at will, so every time we dispelled it or used Daylight to get rid of it, she'd just cast it again.

The priestess escaped by DM fiat after I had laid down a lot of plans to prevent it, I ran in front of her Darkness and cast Web when it approached me with a readied action, then on my next turn I used Silent Image to make it look like the cave had collapsed so the only way to go was back towards the party. Doesn't matter, she escaped somehow. This would not have bothered me if the DM had said "you're not sure how, but she's escaped!" Instead we sat there for an hour and a half in real time trying to find her because we couldn't get a straight answer.

At this point, I was completely against continuing to Menzoberranzan because the house would know that we were coming so I told the party the cave-in illusion was real and we headed back the way we came. They decided to take a fork in the road and we ended up at a Kuo-Toa temple that we could rest in. Between sessions, everyone decided they wanted me to craft magic items, so on our facebook group we talked about what we wanted and how long it would take.

Last session I told the DM how long we were waiting (he explicitly said we could take as long as we wanted), he nodded and started handing out notes to people. We kept saying we wanted to continue on, but he just kind of ignored it and kept handing out these notes that caused party conflict. One guy got a note slipped under his door saying that someone in the party was plotting against him, so he spent like an hour arguing with the rogue about it and making preparations to defend his little hotel room. None of this mattered, we wanted to leave and go on the adventure.

After seriously 3 hours of nothing happening, we're allowed to continue, we approach Menzoberranzan and have a brief encounter with the gate guards that we get by using Alter Self. Then we are gathering information for another hour and a half, deciding we want to go see this lich instead, and that's the end of the session.

All of it seemed like a big stalling tactic. He's redoing the Keep on the Borderlands adventures for Pathfinder and says he has 30 pages or so prepared no matter where we go, but we can't go anywhere because he stalls us. It's quite annoying.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

(The Countess was also in training as something called an "Emperor's Hand," which we don't particularly know what that is, but it sounds impressive enough that my character doesn't trust her any further than is strictly necessary; while distributing attack plans for the Battle of Coruscant I actually slipped in an additional set of contingency plans just in case she turns on us. I don't think they'll be needed, but hell, man, "Emperor's Hand.")

Does the Countess have red hair?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

D'you know, I have no idea? I am fairly certain that the Countess is not Mara Jade, though. Very different personalities.

Hm, I got no idea then. Kind of scary that the Executor is still around, it was a huge morale boost at Endor when it went down because it had been the Rebellion's boogey man for years. I always like Star Wars alternate history, there are so many things that could have gone wrong for the good guys.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You didn't answer the most important question:

Did you ever get your Raven mini back?

This is exactly what I was wondering as soon as it was lent.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

Man, I love it when someone has such a poor idea of the game mechanics as to strongly desire real estate in dungeons and dragons. Genuinely, it's just the most lovably retarded thing. What a god forsaken idiot, bless his little heart.

We are playing an updated version of Keep on the Borderlands and after defending the keep versus a bunch of troglodytes pouring out of the Underdark, we were given titles and land. I bought everyone else's land and I'm currently building a fortress at the mouth of the cave that leads down to the Underdark.

To the common folk, it appears that I will be a bastion of defense against the scourge that lies below. Above the board, everyone knows I'm just using it as a toll booth and if the Drow/anything else want to come up on this side of the mountain, they gots to pay the toll. I was also going to make a pact with a lich of my Mage Guild who lives down below to help him keep an eye on the comings and goings of any would-be problems.

Too bad the last game literally started with "you're travelling through an Underdark steam vent, when SUDDENLY...YOU'RE IN RAVENLOFT!"

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

All kinds of awesome Star Wars stuff.

I love reading your stories, they're really epic and I'm glad the DM knows so much about the universe.

In canon, right now IG-88 has inserted it's consciousness into the Death Star II's core and is biding it's time to take control of it. Being super hacker leader of the droids, you may be able to use this to your advantage.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Hankosha posted:

You could've just slave linked them all to one main ship, equipped that ship with a targeting computer, and used the torpedoes a lot more efficiently, though.*

*I read 90% of the Star Wars EU books

You could also arm them with Intruder Missiles and use them to penetrate the shields and eventually overload the shield generators.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
So last night we're playing Pathfinder, where the party has been mysteriously transported through the mists to Ravenloft, kill some werewolves, and then have to do a mission for Strahd to be forgiven for killing his property. We've been on the road to a little town that is seemingly a million miles away for 2 sessions now and have moved maybe 2 inches on the map.

We stop in a village and are staying in the inn when we hear violin music around midnight. We ask a few locals what's up and they say the blacksmith plays the violin all night in jaunty tunes ever since his wife died. We see him in the morning and he's all tired and has a sickly baby with him.

The Cleric tries to do some Heal checks to see what's wrong and the blacksmith finally explains that his dead wife shows up every night at midnight to nurse their baby and he can't resist her. She asks him to play the violin for her since she loves it, but the baby keeps getting sicker and sicker. The Cleric realizes she's a wraith of some kind, we determine it's because she's a Vistani (gypsy) and the guy didn't burn all of her things when she died as is their custom, namely, the violin he plays that is strung with her hair.

We stay with him in the night until she comes and apparently she's ridiculously hot. Me and the rogue fail our Will saves and are stunned for 4 rounds by her mesmerizing beauty. She creepily charms the husband and takes the baby from him, then starts nursing it with her ghost boob, draining the baby's life force. The monk tries to grab the baby from her but he's unsuccessful. Our sorcerer wants to blast both mother and baby, but instead wakes me up from the trance by shaking me for another save and this is where it gets crazy.

I cast Enlarge Person on the baby, making it easier for the monk to grab. He snatches it away from her and the sorcerer starts Magic Missiling her every turn while the monk takes off. She chases after him, phasing through people and doing poo poo tons of damage. The Cleric is channeling positive energy and wrecking her, and the rogue wakes up from his stupor just as the monk finishes his lap around the house with the Small size baby.

The rogue takes out his holy water and douses the baby in it, then tries to grab it from the monk to throw at the ghost mother. This is a 2 week old infant. The DM informs him that he'll automatically fail a Dark Powers check if he does that, since it's pretty dark sided. She's hell bent on beating the poo poo out of whoever has the baby, so they douse it again and then put it on the ground. Then she tells the charmed husband that he needs to protect his child and he starts wailing on us too.

She goes to pick up the baby and I cast Grease on it, infuriating her since she fails two Reflex saves to try to pick it up. The husband runs over and tries and fails as well. The rogue wants to slide the baby across the floor at her after throwing more holy water on it. It should go without saying that at this point the soaked, Enlarged, Greased baby is crying in an odd baritone.

The Cleric and Sorcerer finally finish her off, but she'll come back again every night until her unfinished business is resolved. We clean up the baby and convince the husband that he needs to burn the violin, and he finally agrees. The DM has this to say about the fight on facebook today:

DM posted:

You know, I was a little upset last night that what should have been a very creepy scene of a ghost-mother killing her baby slowly by being a mother to it was turned into an episode of The Five Stooges with the sorcerer trying to burn both baby and mother alive, the rogue trying to treat the baby as first a shot put then a bowling ball, and the baby getting both Enlarge Person and Grease cast on her...but then I thought about it. A 3 foot tall newborn baby crying in baritone wails as she's manhandled by complete strangers and sliding almost frictionlessly across the floor as her ghostly mother rages at those trying to keep her from her child. Out of context, that's pretty loving creepy...

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Colon V posted:

I need to play a "scare 'em straight" Paladin eventually.

I like to play rear end in a top hat paladins that take their vows seriously, but who lose control sometimes. The Paladin code would be so difficult to maintain for a person and I like to play them as human beings who sometimes do things against their nature because it's such a high ideal to live up to. Usually I'll be a servant of the god of Justice so that I deliver harsh punishment to those who deserve it and I'm steadfast in my oaths to others.

We were playing the Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path and I played a Paladin who had a sentient sword that was a family heirloom passed down from previous Paladins. It pretty much hated me, as I took it before my training was complete when my father died. I had been traveling with it for some time, dealing out what I thought was "true" justice to the evil that I judged.

When we first started and reached the little camp that was under constant attacks by bandits, I offered the rogues a chance to surrender and face a trial for their crimes. When they refused, we slaughtered all but one when he agreed to lead us to their base. Instead he led us to a den of trapdoor spiders and escaped, then led us on a merry chase through a swamp until we finally found him. I think I surprised everyone when I hung him from a tree as an oath breaker.

We finally found the bandit's lair, but we convinced their leader to join us after we had killed the rest of her troops. She was afraid of the real bandit leader and wouldn't join us unless we could guarantee her protection, so I made an oath that I would keep her from harm. In the final fight with the big bad, I was tied up with his owlbear in a grapple when he shot her with a super sneak attack that just flat out killed her.

My character got super pissed. He disentangled himself from the owlbear and chased after the bandit leader. Along the way there was a bandit that was trying to surrender to us, but I was just blind with anger and used a hero point to kill him. My sentient sword twanged in outrage, but I didn't care, I just kept chasing the dude. We all finally caught up with him and the fighter ended him with a few chops, but I came down from my rage and realized what I had done.

I took the bandit I had sworn to protect and tied her to my horse, told everyone I was riding for the nearest big city to try to get her raised, and told them to loot what they could. We eventually did get her raised and she became a loyal follower that we trusted with patrolling the borderlands of our kingdom, so that was pretty cool. The DM said that I had come very close to falling when I killed the helpless bandit who had surrendered out of anger, but he was a pretty bad dude and that I probably would have executed him for his crimes later anyway.

We didn't play many sessions after that, I think the exploration in that module really killed the DM's desire to keep running it. We were using the alternate rules for kingdom building where the more hexes you had under your control, the better your cities were, so we explored as much as we could. This turned into a lot of random encounters, but instead of fast fowarding through the trivial ones, we had to play them out. It was a fun game, I just wish it had continued because I really liked my character.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
So some of my laser tag/drinking buddies decided they wanted to learn to play D&D on Friday instead of playing board games. By the time I got all the characters printed out and a few encounters plotted, I came back into the dining room to realize that half of them were well and truly smashed already. This was not a good sign.

So I have the barest of plots fleshed out, it centers around "Oh no, kobolds have tunneled under the town, what are they doing down there?!?" The larger plot is that most of the great evil has been vanquished from the world due to the heroics of adventurers, but now the civilized races have begun to turn on each other without a greater enemy to face. Not in war or anything, but just commonplace evil like thievery, murder, like just being foul to one another.

I ask where they want to start and the drunks declare the tavern. They immediately start trying to get their characters as drunk as they are in reality. I tell them how the tavern is abuzz because one of the great heroes is passing through and staying the night, but he's an old man now. The monk immediately says he's going to look for the old man's room, finds it and knocks on the door. It opens after a bit and the old paladin stares at him expectantly.

"WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING HERE?" yells the monk. The paladin is perplexed, explains he's passing through. "NO I DON'T GIVE A gently caress THIS IS MY TOWN AND YOU'VE GOT PEOPLE ALL RILED UP. YOU NEED TO GO." The paladin shrugs and says he'll be gone in the morning after dressing down the monk. Another party member comes up and uses his diplomacy to smooth it out and sends the monk on his way.

When they come back downstairs, they notice the bar tender is trying to shush the crowd and listening to his basement. They run over to the trap door and listen to hear some Draconic voices babbling at each other. None of them speak Draconic, so they convince the Paladin to come downstairs and translate. He says they're probably kobolds but doesn't know what they're doing here, they don't nest anywhere around the town.

They light a torch and go down into the cellar and want the old man to follow. He declines, so the monk tries to force him down, rolling a natural 1 and getting pushed down the stairs by the paladin. Then the Avenger tries to lasso a rope around him to pull him down, but rolls like a 9 total and the paladin just brushes it off. At this point, half of the party is yelling at the other half, one side keeps saying to press on, the others are like "NO THIS OLD gently caress IS COMING WITH US."

I had expected the beginning RP to take around 5 minutes, it has gone on for an hour and a half. They finally reach the first encounter, where they find the two kobolds arguing because they screwed up and didn't mean to tunnel into the inn. They bum rush them because it's just two, but then 14 little ones pop out of the woodworks.

Half of them want to run, but the other half are boxed in by the swarm, so they continue fighting, but it's obvious the two sides are trying to screw the others over. The monk keeps using a Close Burst attack that hits everything around him, even allies, and drat near kills one of the Fighters after she gets hit for 16 by one of the Kobold Cutthroats. The cleric is only healing people she agrees with, and the Avenger is using her as a human shield.

They finally kill them all and find the map the kobolds were arguing over, the monk picks it up, then the rogue Thieveries it out of his hands, but won't let anyone else look at it. The map essentially shows them digging under the town and planting explosives at key locations.

At this point we've been playing for 5 hours and have had one encounter. However, they all apparently had a lot of fun because they want to play again. I'm thinking that the old paladin is behind it all, as he alluded to other towns that he's passed through having issues once he left. He feels the world is descending into darkness because there's no need for heroes anymore, so he will create strife and suffering to force heroes to arise. I guess because there's no evil overlord, he will become one. They already despise him for some unknown reason, so I have a feeling that they can be united through their hatred of this misguided old man.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

ellbent posted:

Anyone have any stories about the bad kind of 'PvP,' you know, where it's not just interesting character enmity but actually a concerted metagamey effort to kill another character? I was going over a bad gaming story with friends where another player went waaaay out of their way make sure my dude died and just wondered who else had similar tales.

A friend (Shelby) and I joined a D&D 2nd ed game in high school with some new friends that had apparently been going on since they were 12. There were tons of house rules regarding multiclassing and you gained experience based on what you did that session, so you could gain a level in Wizard for doing wizardy things and a level in fighter for doing fightman things in the same session, leading to crazy powerful ersatz characters with every class. One of the players (John) had been at every session for 4 years and had just a novel of a character sheet that he never let anyone see. All we really knew is that he was a dragonslayer who had killed a ton of dragons and was super powerful, but he was actually really nice about letting other people shine and rarely hogged the spotlight for anything except RP.

The other new player, Shelby, started getting really powerful as we kept playing for a few months, mostly through custom magic items that the GM allowed him to have made. Like armor that gave the quality of needing a +2 or better weapon to harm him and sentient gauntlets made of shrunken dragon heads he had taken as trophies that could cast spells and take extra actions on each of his turns. He wasn't quite so nice about letting other people shine and about half the party wanted to kill him for being an rear end in a top hat about how strong he was. Shelby and John butted heads constantly but never got into a real in-character fight because Shelby was apprehensive about John's abilities.

Eventually John the Dragonslayer decided his character was settling down to live his life, and was RPing building a cabin and discarding all the tokens of his old life, including all of his magical items, but Bahamut was mad about all the dragons he had slain and wanted revenge. Shelby was trying to gain favor with him, so Bahamut tasked him to go kill John and he would grant him the tools to do it. One of these was a bubble that locked down the area around them so that no one could interfere in their battle. All this took place as an aside in another room, so when Shelby came back and convinced me to scry to find John's new home, I did it for him and teleported him there.

So Shelby calls John out and I'm not sure what is happening and John comes out without armor, just simple farmer clothes. Shelby activates the bubble and says that he's been sent to kill John, I try to interfere but dragon-god magic just says I can't do anything. John says he has no weapon to fight with, he's given up that life, so Shelby offers him a short sword +1 and they roll initiative. John wins and doesn't stop rolling to hit for literally 10 minutes. He finally adds it all up and announces:

John: "4,810 damage."
Shelby: "Okay, my turn?"
John: "...you survived that?"
Shelby: "Yeah, you need weapons that are +2 or better to hurt me. So my turn?" :smaug:

At that point John just conceded and let himself get murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
My favorite use of the Deck was when we found one in a dragon's treasure hoard and the rogue was the only one of the party willing to pull from it. He chose to pull 3 times, for the first draw he got the one that gives you wishes, then used one wish to wish that every card in the deck was the one that gave you a ridiculous amount of XP, then wished to draw every card from the deck. I don't even remember what the DM did to salvage that.