Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.
So we're trapped in a palace in the Plane of Fire. There's some sort of powerful curse that immediately drags us back if we try to teleport out. We've been exploring the place systematically, battling efreeti (which sucks rear end; who's the genius who decided they should get to cast Scorching Ray as a free action?) and lizardmen.

After a rough battle, we search the room of the captain of the palace guard and, thanks to a nat 20 on a Perception check, discover the deed to the palace. We are now legally the owners of a palace in the Plane of Fire.

Having cleared the rest of the palace, we stand outside the throne room and start buffing up. We open the doors and see a massive efreet sitting on the throne. He demands we kneel before, we pull out the deed and declare ourselves his bosses, and he starts the fight. He draws a symbol in the air, and we have to make a Will save.

Bralgorg the barbarian fails.

Hilaire the paladin fails.

Garidan the cleric fails.

Lia, my wizard fails.

Only Viklos the bard and Areya the shaman succeed.

All of us who failed are now struck with an obsessive need to argue with anyone who doesn't share our alignment.

Everyone has different alignments.

Mechanically, this means we have a 50% chance on our turn of either getting to act as we want, or attacking the nearest person of a different alignment. Oh, and because we're shouting at each other, no one can cast spells with a verbal component.

Bralgorg has the highest initiative. He rolls and gets to act normally, so he charges at the efreet. Thanks to Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength, and a crit with max damage, he hits the efreet three times and kills him instantly.

We have accomplished our objective, but combat continues for several more turns as our heavily buffed team continues trying to kill each other. Lawful Good Hilaire rams her sword into True Neutral Garidan for refusing to stand for anything. Lawful Neutral Lia tries to smack her, as that wasn't a very Good act. Areya tries to figure out how to dispel the rune while Viklos uses his Spiderclimbing boots to get to the ceiling and then place bets on the fight.

We are our own worst enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.
I'm in a game of Pathfinder 2E, and it's... colorful? Enjoyable, to be sure, but interesting.

I've played in several other games, and I've been roleplaying in general for over a decade. I'm playing Krugg the goblin fighter. I built him to heavily use Dex; Reflex is his best save. At level 3, he has the same AC as the level 13 wizard I play in my 1E game. Character-wise, he's impulsive, arrogant, and greedy. Goblins in 2E don't worship gods, but instead creatures or objects they find fascinating. Krugg worships booze.

Our DM is the same as my 1E game. He's been doing this forever, and he's solid. We're running a module, and he follows the book a little more closely than I'd like, but he's solid. Also, he's a sadistic bastard who relishes chances to gently caress us over. But, I knew that going in, and he's solid.

Player 2 runs Quinn Farbreeze the human bard. He's also been playing for years. Quinn's perform skill isn't playing an instrument, or singing, or dancing, or telling jokes. He wears a portable stove on his belt and cooks delicious meals at all times, and the smell Inspires Courage. He's also our primary healer. We are not exactly a well-balanced team.

Player 3 has never played a tabletop RPG before. He is also a massive - and I mean MASSIVE - weeb. He plays Konesrach the gnome sorcerer, usually just called Kone. Kone is every shonen character ever. He fights for his friends. He calls his attacks (using ability names from Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho).

Player 4 has also never played a tabletop RPG before. He plays Escor the human ranger. Escor is the quintessential murderhobo. He's just P4's Skyrim character. He shoots people with a bow or smashes them with a mace. His personality is "whatever P4 will think is fun right now". Escor indulges every terrible idea Krugg has (which makes him Krugg's wingman).

Playing with 2 veterans and 2 complete amateurs is an experience.

- Only P3 closely read the manual and built his character properly. The rest of us glossed over a key sentence and were missing 4 stat points until level 3. This leads nicely into...

- Every fight in levels 1 and 2 involved someone dropping below 0 HP. We failed to see the giant bat hiding in the rafters? It smacks Quinn twice and he passes out. Escor decides to try to loot the room without much investigation? Giant turtles bite him until he's down. We blew at least one healing potion every encounter. And speaking of almost dying...

- Krugg has been eaten alive twice. The first time, we opened a door and a warg charged us. Wargs have the ability to swallow creatures smaller than they are. Goblins are considered small. That session, the GM couldn't roll below a 14. The warg charged in, hit Krugg for most of his health in damage, and then ate him. Krugg spent the rest of the fight trying to survive damage from stomach acid and damage from suffocation. Kone and Escor got lucky and managed to slice the warg open and free Krugg, and then dumped healing potion down his throat.

- The second time, the party accidently pissed off some kind of giant snake, and it chased us down a corridor, biting every chance it got. Quinn and Kone, being squishy, ran immediately and tried shooting spells as they could. Escor, being a little beefier, focused on shooting while running. Krugg, as the tank, stayed in front, swinging the +1 short sword he found in a coffin. This was the same "no <14 DM rolls" session. Krugg got swallowed by the snake just before Escor crit to kill it.

We discovered the puppies of the warg that ate Krugg and are now taming them. Krugg is going to learn to ride one.

I GM a vastly different game (based on Persona 5) with P2 and DM. P2 plays a teenage cop who hits on every girl or woman he met; most of the time, he rolls successes. Teencop has two of his classmates and a 30-year-old considering him boyfriend material. Nearly every time Quinn, the chefbard, has tried to seduce someone, he has failed spectacularly. He's not allowed in the bookstore anymore.

After we accomplished the task the town council hired us for, we had downtime. Krugg went to the tavern to boast about how unkillable he is. I rolled well enough on my Intimidate checks to convince some of the patrons to buy me drinks. Krugg then proclaimed himself the strongest in town, and a member of the guard challenged Krugg to an arm-wrestling contest. I rolled a 2 on my Strength check, and as Krugg started losing he leaned forward and bit the guardsman's face. It caused a bar fight that weakened the guard enough to free the necromancer we had captured. I don't regret it.

P4 makes amazingly awful MSPaint comics as recaps for our sessions. I was there for them and I don't really understand them. They are perfect.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 6, 2020

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

In Pathfinder 2E, races get broken down a bit further into heritages. You aren't just a dwarf, you're a forge dwarf with bonuses to resisting heat or a rock dwarf with bonuses to saves against shoving.

Krugg is an unbreakable goblin. This gives him bonus hit points and lets him treats falls as half height when calculating damage.

There is a feat available only to unbreakable goblins called Bouncy Goblin. Instead of being unbreakable because you're sturdy or whatever, you're unbreakable because you ate the Gum-Gum fruit. You get bonuses when trying to make Acrobatics checks to tumble through an enemy's space.

At level 13, unbreakable goblins can take the feat Unbreakable-er Goblin. It grants even more hit points and nullifies fall damage entirely. If you have the Bouncy Goblin feat, when you fall from at least 20 ft, you bounce up to half the distance you fell.

In our latest session, we were fighting ranger goblins who had built a set of platforms to let them snipe on incoming intruders. Kone dropped an illusion on the platform to give us cover, and Krugg charged. The platform had two stories, each 20ft up. Krugg climbed the first story, killed or knocked out a few of the archers there (the bounty on them specified they're worth double alive), and climbed up the second story. When he took out the final archer on the top, their dual-wielding captain appeared on the ground to try to shank Quinn, our only healer.

Krugg needs to get down to the ground to protect the poor defenseless bard. The ladders down count as difficult terrain, so they eat two of his three actions.

Krugg takes less damage from falling.

gently caress it.

Krugg leaps off the second story, dropping to the first. We look up the rules for fall damage. It's short enough that Krugg in fact takes no damage.

He lands on one of the unconscious rangers. Kone's player joking asks if the ranger takes damage. The DM looks it up.

There are rules for dealing damage by falling on a target.

Krugg goomba-stomps his way down the platform, taking out the remaining archers and charges the captain threatening Quinn.

After the fight, I remember the aforementioned feats.

At level 13, we unlock our ultimate strategy: Quinn flies Krugg into the air and drops him like a bomb. Anything that survives the initial impact gets cleaned up by the bounces.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Sunday night's session was... not good.

The party is all level 13 and as follows:

Hilaire, human paladin
Garidan, human cleric
Bralgorg, half-orc barbarian
Lia, half-elf wizard (me)
Viklos, half-elf bard
Areya, human shaman

Garidan and Hilaire's players are unavailable due to Easter.

We are trapped in the Plane of Fire in a palace that we now own. In the previous session, we fought more fire giants and salamanders, and discovered a pyramid on the roof of the palace. We plundered it, stealing treasure meant for the demigod the fire giants worship and the previous owner of the palace tried to woo, and exited to find a twenty-foot-tall man made of bronze and his pet eleven-headed pyrohydra angry that we killed all his fire giant friends. Everyone took their first turn, and the previous session ended with bronze giant Arglebargle (I don't remember his actual name, but it was close) ready to take his turn.

Hilaire is the party tank, but she's not there, so the DM moves her to the back. This means the only one who can take a hit is Bralgorg, who just raged and lowered his AC.

Arglebargle swings his massive bronze sword.

And crits.

For max damage.

He cleaves Bralgorg in half.

Garidan is next in the turn order, and his last levelup gave him Breath of Life, which lets him revive characters who died last turn. The DM decides to take control of him. He magically sews the two halves of Bralgorg back together.

Lia, Viklos, and Areya manage to kill Arglebargle.

The pyrohydra spits flame from each of its eleven heads and roasts Bralgorg to death.

Garidan uses Breath of Life again to revive Bralgorg.

Lia, Viklos, and Areya damage the pyrohydra, destroying two of its heads.

The pyrohydra does a full attack with its remaining heads, killing and partially devouring Bralgorg.

Garidan has no more uses of Breath of Life.

Viklos gets a lucky hit and kills the pyrohydra.

Now we have to scour the palace for a diamond worth 10k gp so Garidan can cast Resurrection.

We should stop playing when we're missing key party members.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Garidan's player showed up after combat ended. Two sessions ago, when he leveled up and learned Breath of Life, he was excited to get to use it. When he found out that we needed to use it and he wasn't there, he was pissed (at himself).

Hilaire's player found out when Bralgorg's player texted her "Bralgorg's dead and Lia needs someone to crit so she can cast Decapitate. What's the bonus on Hilaire's greatsword?"

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

A story from earlier in the 1E campaign:

We were questing to obtain the Scroll of Kakishon. Kakishon is a demiplane created by a 20th-level wizard as his personal palace-world. He filled it with exotic animals, djinn slaves, and unimaginable treasure. The scroll is the only way to enter Kakishon. Unbeknowst to us, the djinn slaves got pissed by the whole endeavor, and when the wizard died they rigged the scroll with a trap.

We found the scroll, sold it to someone who just wanted to stick it on his mantle for cred, and got him to promise to let us explore and loot Kakishon.

When we used the scroll to enter Kakishon, we got ourselves trapped in a demiplane. And we unleashed a group of very angry fire djinn on Lia's hometown.

While trying to find a way to escape Kakishon, we discovered the tomb of the wizard who created it. He set a riddle-trap on the entrance of his tomb. If you want to enter, you must honestly state what you seek to gain from it.

The trap is keyed to certain words. If you say that you seek "knowledge", or "gain", or "loot", or "treasure", the statue at the entrance casts a max-level Fireball on you.

We spend several minutes, both in and out of game, arguing about what to say. We know that the statue is using Sense Motive, so we can't lie. We know there's a magical trap, so we have to be careful of our wording.

Bralgorg, pissed that we keep arguing instead of attacking, shouts at the statue, "WE'RE HERE FOR YOUR STUFF!"

Stuff is not one of the keywords.

The statue lets us enter the tomb undeterred.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Bralgorg is dead, but we have a plan.

In our inventory are two rubies each worth 5k gold.

Earlier in the palace, we discovered an alchemical lab being run by a salamander known as the Broker. We killed him, looked over the lab, and moved on. Now, we're going to use it to fuse the rubies into a diamond worth 10k.

When we enter, we discover the Broker nailed to the wall and a message written in blood beside him. "I will find my brother's killer." Unsettling, but hey, someone's trying to kill us? They can get in line.

It's a skill challenge - Lia rolls Spellcraft to produce flame and pressure, Viklos rolls Craft to use the tools, Garidan rolls Craft to assist him. Lia has 26 ranks in Spellcraft, and we know that the DC is 25. She's fine.

Viklos has 7 ranks in Craft and a +3 bonus from a shadow copy of himself patting him on the back. He needs to roll at least a 15, or a 13 with Garidan rolling at least a 10.

We melt down the rubies into gem slush, and now Viklos has to create a mold for the diamond. Viklos' player asks the DM if it can be any shape, he says yes, and she immediately shouts, "Dummy thicc! I want a butt!"

After 2 more successes, Garidan casts Ressurect on Bralgorg using a diamond shaped like an rear end.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

We also have no shops where we can turn our existing gp into said diamond. I've been sitting on a Permanency + Enlarge Person that Bralgorg wants and can afford, but it requires material components that we have been unable to buy. The DM has spent multiple sessions taunting us that we will not be able to buy anything until we leave the Plane of Fire.

Character motivations!

Hilaire, as a paladin of Iomedae, wants to spread honor and justice.

Garidan worships the concept of truth, and he wants to learn everything.

Areya travels between planes and wants new experiences and knowledge.

Lia is the daughter of a male human merchant and a female elven scholar who disappeared mysteriously. She wants to use her mother's spellbook to gain the power to find her missing mother.

Bralgorg wants to vanquish his brother who brought ruin to his clan.

Viklos wants to create a brothel that employs every living (and some undead) sentient creature, so that every kink in existence is served.

Hilaire has not yet strangled Viklos. Their players, who are best friends, cannot explain why not.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 22, 2020

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Krug, Knoe, Escor, and Quinn have just defeated a mercenary company of goblins. These goblins have built a camp around the entrance to the cave that provides the only entrance to the backdoor to the magic gate we want to enter. We subdued as many goblins as we could in order to take prisoners because the bounty for live mercenaries is double the bounty for dead mercenaries. We headed into the cave and found a necromancer with skeleton guards. She tried to move tactically and cast optimal spells, but we rolled fantastically and took her operation down.

We now have free reign to explore the rest of the cave. There are two north tunnels and a south tunnel. As party tank, Krug picks north-right.

In order, Krug, Escor, Knoe, and Quinn head down north-right and discover a chamber covered in webs. Only Escor makes his Perception checks to spot the spider-like creature on the ceiling, shouts at Krug to get down, and tries to make a Diplomacy check to tell the spider-thing that there's more meat if it doesn't fight now and eats our leftovers.

The spider-thing fails its Will save, tries to bite Krug, and fails. Krug, Kone, and Quinn roll well, and the spider-thing takes lots of damage. Spider-thing rushes along its webs and cuts open a cocoon of baby spiders, unleashing a mechanically-dangerous combatant onto the field. Swarms are great at ignoring single-target damage. AoE spells are the only way to significantly hurt swarms, and we don't have great access to them.

It's Krug's turn.

I roll for my first attack, and get a natural 20.

I roll damage, and get max damage.

Krug smashes the blunt end of his sword on all spiders, and he kills all the spiders. He then eats them all, because Krug eats bugs that taste good.

Escor used his shortbow to kill the spider-thing that spawned the spider swarm.

We are built to kill bad strategists and creepy animals. Can we still survive to critical levels?

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

So here's the setup.

We're trapped in the Plane of Fire, specifically in a palace in the City of Brass, the capital city. The previous owner of the palace, Javuul, a fire djinn, was released from his demiplane prison (by us) and is now free to wreak havoc on the Material Plane - specifically, my character Lia's hometown. At least ten sessions ago, we entered his demiplane prison looking for a major payout and swapped places with him and his entourage. We're trapped in a prison within a prison trying to get paid; Javuul get released onto Lia's hometown with an army of angry djinn.

We escaped the demiplane of Kakishon to be trapped in a palace within the City of Brass in the Plane of Fire. We tried teleporting out, only to be warped back only seconds later. We know there is a curse on either the palace or something within it that prevents anyone from escaping.

Last session (while I was unavailable), the team discovered a secret pocket dimension containing a magic mirror - The Impossible Eye.

The Impossible Eye is a level-24 magic item. If some looks into it and passes a Will save, they can freely cast a bunch of high-level Divination spells. If the gazer fails, they become enthralled by their own reflection and need to be smacked in order to break the enchantment.

Garidan, the cleric, looks into the mirror and fails his Will save. He decides he's the hottest dude in any world.

Hilaire, the paladin, smacks him upside the head and looks into it herself. She sees the ghostly figure who has shouted advice from mirrors on the walls as we explored the palace. She looks surprised, and a nephilim escapes the mirror, grateful for the rescue.

He shares our ghostly figure's white hair. He has the specter's tanned skin. He speaks in the same manner as our creepy ally.

He asks to take the mirror that he just escaped from.

Garidan immediately responds, "No. Why?"

The nephilim rams his axe through Garidan's chest.

Roll initiative.

I am going to roll three dice this session. The first is my initiative. I roll a 5. I am ranked last.

Bralgorg is our damage dealer. I have called him a barbarian in the past. This is a half-truth. He is a hybrid class known as a bloodrager. This is a combination between barbarian and sorcerer. He can rage as a free action, cast Enlarge Person as a swift action, and cast another spell as his main action. Bralgorg hulks out as his free action, doubles in size as his swift action, and casts Haste as his main action. He's now ten feet tall, made of muscle, has extendo-arms, and is fast enough to ram his adamantine polearm into someone more times than should be possible. And the cleric with the +4 scythe and the paladin with the flaming sword get extra actions too.

The nephilim gets to act before Garidan. He uses his prestige class to cast Slay Living. He rolls to jab his hand into Garidan and just kill him.

He crits.

Garidan rolls his Fortitude saving throw.

Garidan only takes most of his health in damage instead of dying instantly.

Angry that his instakill didn't work, the nephilim casts Quickened Magic Missile as a swift action to try to finish Garidan off. It only does most of the rest of Garidan's health (he's in single digits).

Hilaire the paladin takes her turn and swipes at him with her holy sword, doing some damage.

Areya the shaman takes her turn and fails her hex.

Viklos the bard takes his turn and shoots the nephilim with a crossbow bolt.

It's Lia's turn. I cast Disintegrate.

I roll for spell penetration, because the nephilim has spell resistance. Thanks to the feat I picked up last level, my bonus to penetration is +15.

I roll my second roll of the night. It is another 5.

20 is enough to beat a spell resistance of 19.

I now need to roll a ranged touch attack to actually point Lia's finger accurately at the 10-foot-tall angelic creature stabbing her friend. Touch AC is low, and larger creatures have lower AC. This is easy.

I roll my third and final die of the night.

It is a 3.

Lia points her finger at the tanned large man shanking her friend and misses.

The next turn, Bralgorg unloads a massive multi-attack on the nephilim and rips him into unidentifiable pieces.

Afterwards, the dragon serving as the right hand to the sultan of the City of Brass lands on the palace roof and says, "Hey, we put the no-exit curse on this palace after that nephilim stole that mirror from the sultan and tried to escape here. We didn't want him to leave with the mirror, and we figured that made this palace the perfect vault to store our treasure. You killed him, so you're cool. Give us the mirror and promise to kill Javuul, and we let you leave. And, wink wink, pay the 20k not-a-bribe for administration, and we acknowledge that the deed to the palace you have also includes a third of the businesses in the City of Brass Javuul owned, and now you're a billionaire."

All we have to do is kill an angry djinn trying to destroy Lia's hometown, and then we get to retire to the Plane of Fire.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 5, 2020

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

While most of the Plane of Fire is literal, unending fire, the City of Brass is only uncomfortably hot. The djinn that inhabit the City take slaves and accept customers of all races, including those who don't take kindly to being aflame at all times. The City of Brass has magical protections that make it bearable for humanoids from most of the Material Planes. At the outskirts, it's 95 F/ 35 C. Not pleasant, but magic can make it livable.

The City of Brass is also the most mercantile and diverse city in existence. Our DM waived all checks for finding a rare person or magical item. The City of Brass has literally everything.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Krugg, Quinn, Kone, and Escor previously fought a demon. We're level 4, excited to start using +1 weapons. The demon is level 7 or 8, able to cut off our escape with Dimension Door. He hits every party member but Krugg on anything but a nat 1, and he only misses Krugg on a 4. His attacks include a lingering poison. His AC is high enough that we need to flank him to hit on a 16. Both the encounter designer and our GM are assholes.

Thanks to clever use of Invisibility, we managed to retreat from a curbstomp without losing anyone. We retreat to our low-level town to start brainstorming for ways to tip the battle in our favor.

We start the session by blowing at least 90% of our gold on a magic shield for Krugg and wands for Kone and Quinn. We're in better shape mathematically, but not exactly tactically. Our strategy still relies heavily on lucky rolls to overcome his good stats. We need an ace in the hole.

Quinn manages to not harass the librarian long enough to look up information on the kind of demon we're fighting. He's resistant to non-magical damage (not a huge deal, now that we have magical weapons) and fire (there goes the "drown the cave in molotovs" plan), but he's weak to Law or Good. That's our in.

Quinn approaches the town council and asks for help. Are there any clerics that could give us aid?

The town has no churches and only really worships two gods. The artisan guild has a priest of Shelyn, the goddess of art, beauty, music, and love. The bars tend to attract patrons of Cayden Cailen, god of freedom, bravery, ale, and wine.

SIDE A

Quinn the bard goes to the artisan guild. He sees the statues of Shelyn, always depicted as a beautiful young woman, and decides to press his luck. He drops pickup lines, strikes flirty poses, and tries his damnedest to seduce a goddess. He rolls well enough that the priest of the artisan guild is impressed. After receiving pointers from the priest, Quinn asks to trade his cooking skills for vials of holy water. He prepares a grand feast - seasoned roast pig, steamed vegetables, and artisanal bread - to impress the artisans, and they agree to give him 4 exquisite, handcrafted vials of holy water.

SIDE B

Krugg travels to his favorite bar and tries to convince the bartender and the patrons to throw a righteous kegger in honor of Cayden Cailen. Being a smelly, ugly, exceedingly-frustrated goblin who has punched at least half of the patronage in the face, no one is enthused.

Until Escor offers to pay for 12 kegs in the name of this holy booze ceremony.

The bar instantly becomes the town's newest church, as citizens pour in to drink to Cayden Cailen.

Six bottles of beer are tucked into the chandelier for safekeeping, and Krug decides to augment the ale and wine worship with some bravery by turning the center of the bar into a wrestling ring. Half the town beats itself senseless, drinking and singing and fighting.

In the morning, the few able to function through their hangover discover that the six bottles of beer hidden in the chandelier are now holy booze, capable of damaging a demon.

We're finally properly equipped to face our enemy.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

In our first encounter with the demon, he demanded we offer him tribute. He wanted Krugg's magical striking knife that teleports back into his hand, so Krugg "gave" it to him by throwing it at his face.

We barely escaped thanks to rapid use of Kone's Invisibility and the demon's tendency to ignore a target downed but not dead.

Quinn used a divination spell to find out that if we offer him a tribute of Definitely-Not-Holy Beer, the result would be positive.

Our current plan is for someone who didn't throw a magical knife at him to grovel at his feet and give him an offering of beer that absolutely will not hurt him to drink. Then, when it burns him from the inside, we retreat to the tiny tunnel where we rigged a trap to drop as much holy water/beer onto his back as possible.

Then, an invisible Krugg uses both Invisibility and his extensive barfight knowledge to break a bottle of holy beer over the back of the demon's head. Between flanking and maybe a bonus for surprise, this actually might work.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 10, 2020

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

UA sounds amazing and I need to find a game to join.

My most recent session was cut short (one player's work pushed start time back an hour, and another pushed the end time up half an hour).

Krugg the rear end in a top hat goblin fighter, Quinn the chef human bard, Kone the shonen gnome sorcerer, and Escor the murderhobo human ranger are preparing to fight Raldar, the insane demon blocking their path.

Raldar is bugfuck irrational. He sits in a cave, on a throne he cobbled together from rocks, in front of a bunch of goblin corpses. He shouts at them, demanding they worship him as a god, until he loses his temper and stomps the ground hard enough to knock them all over and apart. Then he shapeshifts into a goblin, rebuilds the corpses, returns to his true form, and gets back on his throne to start over.

We set up a trap in one of the tunnels leading to his chamber. There's a board wedged in the rocks near the ceiling holding a couple of bottles of holy water, with a rope tied to it. Someone (probably Krugg) lures him into the tunnel, and someone else yanks the rope and drops the holy water on him. We've also each got a couple of bottles of either holy water or holy beer to hit him with.

The divination spell we cast told us offering him beer to drink would work, but no one wants to actually talk to this insane rear end in a top hat long enough to try it, especially after he previously disemboweled half the party. Quinn has a wand of Sleep, so we decide to try putting him to sleep, leaving a bottle in front of him with "TRIBUTE" scratched in the dirt, and hoping for the best.

He passes his Will save, becomes furious, and casts Enlarge Person.

Still unseen, we bug the gently caress out and decide to try again tomorrow.

The next day, we sneak into the tunnels again and debate how to approach this, and then Escor steps up. He walks out of our hiding place, getting the attention of Raldar who immediately recognizes him as the guy who tried to shoot him a few days ago. Escor pulls out a bottle of beer and explains that he wanted to offer Raldar a tribute for being so great at slicing his guts out, but there's a human tradition of giving gifts while people are sleeping as a sign of respect. Raldar looks unconvinced until Escor starts explaining how he found the beer that only kings and nobles are allowed to drink, and peasants are put to death if they even look at it, and then he sets it at Raldar's feet, backs off, and drops to one knee. Raldar is deeply pleased and chugs the bottle of holy beer in one gulp.

After a few seconds, he realizes that the pleasant burn from properly made booze is, in fact, a poison destroying his insides, Krugg stands up and declares that booze always destroys false gods, he casts Enlarge Person, and we roll initiative.

We ended partially through combat, with Krugg using his keen barfighting instincts to smash multiple bottles of holy beer over Raldar's head. Now we retreat through the trap, wait for Enlarge Person to wear off, draw him in, and hopefully kill him.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

Well we hosed up!

Krugg the goblin fighter, Kone the gnome sorcerer, Quinn the human bard, and Escor the human ranger killed the demon in our way and took out the token resistance between us and the warpgates that unlock the rest of the adventure. We now own the quest hub and automaton that will let us continue our adventure! Levelups all around!

Kone currently holds the arrowhead key that opens the one gate we understand. Approaching either side of the elfgate with the arrowhead means that stepping through the gate puts you in a tunnel made of cooled lava. When we entered, a dragon made of fire appeared to cover us in flame before we retreated. Our plan was to use invisibility spells to sneak past the fire dragon that breathed fire and just stealth the death corridor.

We also asked an NPC to be our guide on the other side.

When we snuck into the flame death tunnel, everyone passed their Reflex save except the NPC. She burnt to death over several rounds.

When Krugg, Kone, Quinn, and Escor showed up alive on the other side, Escor decided to wait until the invisibility wore off, pick up NPC-lady's corpse, and try to revive her.

He forgot that without the warp key on his side, he cannot open the gate to teleport back to us. He also rolled so badly that we spent hundreds of gold pieces to fail to resurrect the NPC that helped us. He also put our warpgate up as collateral.

The party is split. The split guy owes thousands of gold or we lose our quest hub. We didn't even save the NPC we wanted to.

Escor has a charred corpse that he promised thousands of gold to maybe revive if the spell works. He has no ability to meet up with the rest of the team.

Krugg, Kone, and Quinn are trying to figure out how to reconnect with Escor without getting killed by the dragon made of fire. They do not yet know that Escor promised to spend their winnings on resurrecting someone they barely know.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 11, 2020

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I can't quite recant all of the events that got us to where we are because I forgot much of them, but...

-Our companion Anandi was resurrected. She still helps us scout out the jungle we're exploring.
-No one else has died! Yet! Maybe!
-We met a group of elves that are willing to help us. See story A.
-We met an rear end in a top hat who made for an entertaining session. See story B.

Our heroes, the last time we left them:

Kone, the gnome sorcerer shonen protagonist. He learned some new spells that let him shout anime quotes.
Quinn, the human bard cook. He learned more buff moves and also continued to fail to seduce women.
Escor, the human ranger murderhobo. He took a few more ranks in being our combat medic and also found new, fun ways to derail the story by doing random shitposting dipshittery.
Krugg, the goblin fighter. I play Krugg. He wears heavy armor, stabs things with his magic knives, and causes problems if it means he gets to fight things.

We spent a full session letting Escor revive our scout and getting her back through the warp gate to the jungle we want to explore. Lucky rolls and bad investments ensured that she will help us explore the wilderness we keep walking through. She keeps making mosquito netting so we don't get malaria. Kone the gnome decided to drink unpurified water and got dysentery. We fought a sloth with cold iron teeth that drinks people's blood.

The best session was when we met Gilderoy Lockhart but fake. He told us about how he found a magic statue that needed to be broken, but striking it caused petrification. So he made his crew keep smashing it until the magic ran out.

Kone and Quinn said that we should try to cure the petrified crew members who were turned to stone. Escor said gently caress that and wanted to move on.

Krugg decided that the best course of action was gathering everyone turned to stone, use basilisk blood to cure them, and then become pirates and make all of the money

We spent an hour deciding whether breaking the campaign was a fun course of action.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

We decided that piracy sounded cool, but we chose to keep going with the base storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

My Pathfinder 2E character Eliza is a Changeling. When a hag - a race of monster witch women - wants to reproduce, she shapeshifts into a human, dwarf, or elf and seduces a man of that race. When the child is born, the hag leaves it with the father to be raised until she can tempt it to come find her and perform the ritual to become a full hag. Changelings feel the compulsion to become hags their entire lives, and Eliza was no exception.

Five or six sessions ago my DM Andrew and I worked out a scene in which Eliza traveled to a dream plane - her mother Raia is a night hag and thus lives in nightmares - to argue over Eliza's refusal to become a monster. Raia revealed that she had trapped Eliza's father's soul in a locket, and if Eliza didn't perform the ritual, Raia would sell his soul to devils. She gave Eliza a week to decide.

For the next five or six sessions, Eliza considered whether saving her father was worth becoming the kind of monster that turns little girls into freaks that become hated by their communities.

This week, at the deadline, Eliza was pulled into the dream plane while the rest of the party had to fight the devils Raia had promised a soul. They had to face a devil with powerful stats and a resistance to anything but silver while Eliza, empowered by dream logic, had to battle a group of dream orcs and a night hag, capable of casting higher-level spells.

Andrew danced between the battle in the material plane, giving the physical players imps and devils to battle, and also letting Eliza and Raia fight while improvising years of trauma screamed at each other.

Eliza finally thrust her swordcane into Raia's chest, and the devils claimed her soul for the black market.

It is easily the best roleplaying session I have ever had.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 4, 2021