Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For as long as there have been separate threads for Best and Worst Gaming Experiences, there have been claims that someone or other is posting in the wrong thread. But who the hell would only follow one or the other? I propose a union of the two towers.

What should I post here?

Anything that happened in a non-computery game that you were party to or witness of, which you think deserves to be recounted. It can be funny, triumphant, disgusting, adorable, whatever.

Keep in mind that we reserve the right to advise and nitpick.

As a personal favor to me, please don't tell us about the time you rolled a number when you really wanted another number, unless what a player described as the result of that roll was really, really terrible/hilarious/fantastic.

Feel free to repost the fittest and most vigorous stories from the old threads:

What's the worst experience ever?

There are many contenders, but this remains my favorite (emphasis mine):

Samej posted:

Most annoyances aside, the overall worse experience I've ever had in tabletop would have to be during last years LGS 40k tournament. I was playing my 1000 point Necron army and my brother had his Chaos Space Marines.

Anyway, the drama occurred during an argument between the owner and one of the other players, a guy who had a very well painted Tau army. The guy had apparently lost versus a Dark Eldar player yet was begging the owner to let him stay in the tourney. People were asking him to calm down and the owner was being adamant about him losing; the guy he lost against took some verbal swings at him that he probably shouldn't have.

I was in the back of the store talking to another grognard when we both heard this loud popping noise from the front of the store. Turns out the guy drew a revolver and unloaded the whole thing at the owner. He promptly got tackled by these two hulking neckbeards.

Turns out the only bullet that hit got the owner of the place in the hand, almost taking out his pinky. The police got there pretty quickly, and the guys Tau army somehow disappeared in the process.

What's the best experience ever?

The next one you get to have with your cool friends.

What the gently caress does cat piss have to do with anything?

quote:

RETAIL: THE WRATH OF CAT PISS MAN
BY PAUL T. RIDDELL

- - -

It's a distasteful subject, not fit for family reading, but it's time. It's time to relate the origins of everyone's least favorite comic shop fixture, Cat Piss Man.

Back about three-quarters of a decade ago, I was a regular at a local comic shop in Dallas, and was yakking with the staff about the new issue of gently caress Science Fiction (yes, that was a real magazine, and I bawled like a baby went it went under) when I met my first Cat Piss Man. Ever comic shop in every city has at least one, all seemingly grown off this one like cuttings off jade plants. About six foot four he was, weighing in at least 200 kilos if an ounce, and the perfect cliche of the comics aficionado. The lank, greasy hair that wasn't long enough to tie back but also wasn't so short that it took care of itself without combing. The heavily abused "Marvel" T-shirt, with holes that suggested that cotton polyblend was the only fiber he got in his diet, since most of the rest was covered in a thick layer of Cheetos crumbs. Facial pores that suggested that gnomes sneaked into his bedroom in his parents' house and broke off the tips of No. 2 pencils in them. Beady little eyes behind Buddy Holly birth control glasses. If one's dental apparatus was a city, his mouth obviously took a direct hit with an H-bomb, and the mixture of nose hairs and crusted boogers protruding an inch past his nostrils and down his moustache guaranteed that he breathed through his mouth, producing a charitable impersonation of "The Creature From the Black Latrine". The last of the Olmec had taken to living in cliff dwellings in the shelter between his double chin and his gut, reasonably assured that nothing would disturb their mushroom and cave cricket farms.

However, Cat Piss Man's name was pure olfactory onomatopoeia. The first time I encountered him, he was walking up to the store door when one of the staff said "Oh God, it's Cat Piss Man." I was about ready to ask why he said that when Cat Piss Man stepped inside. Now, Texas heat has a tendency to make everyone exposed to it somewhat less than fresh, but this was the end of December, and his odor literally brought tears to my eyes. This wasn't a minor case of body odor: he literally smelled like a mile-wide overloaded litter box, left out in the Australian outback to cook in the sun, with enough power to kill a silk ficus. This stench wasn't just an affront to God, Satan, and Elvis: this was positively Lovecraftian in scope. I suddenly attained insane insights into the magazine distribution business, and I think a lack of available oxygen had something to do with it. Other customers would simply run the moment they saw him waddling toward the door, and he could clear the entire shop within seconds if the store's air conditioner wasn't on at full blast.

If this wasn't nauseating enough, his behavior was even more horrifying. Since this store didn't carry "adult" comics, he didn't disappear into the back area to wank off (to steal from the "Republicans Attack!" trading card set from Kitchen Sink, I doubt if he nor anyone else had seen his genitalia since 1984), so he felt compelled to follow people around. Someone would be reading the back copy on an issue of The Comics Journal when he'd come trucking over, not saying anything, and just kinda stare. Every time the customer would move away because Cat Piss Man was melting their Mylar baggies, he'd just follow along, not saying a word, and reposition himself like a corpulent vulture over a dying prospector. And Arioch help us all if the customer was female: Cat Piss Man would sidle over closer, trying to stun her with his natural perfume, and apparently he once tried to feel up one woman who wasn't able to get away fast enough.

The last time I ever saw Cat Piss Man, he was at a science fiction convention in Austin, Texas a few years back, hogging space in front of a dealer's table, doing the same thing. This time, he was dressed semi-formal, in a homemade Star Trek: The Next Generation uniform with a thick layer of human grease clogging the uniform's fabric in a band starting at his armpits and ending at the tops of his hips. He apparently couldn't afford or find a prop communicator pin, so he had one appliqued with Elmer's Glue-All and glitter, and the grease was making the symbol peel free. For some reason, this made his assaults even more terrifying.

Oh, and did I mention that this guy almost never bought anything during his regular visits? Or if he did, he nitpicked everything in an effort to scam as much free stuff as possible?

Okay, so you think it's cruel to make fun of the socially challenged. We've all been there at one point or another in our lives (I cant' read one of Evan Dorkin's Eltingville strips without getting flashbacks of 1985, and when I remember how much I used to be like Bill from the Eltingville Club, I want to borrow a time machine just so I can kick my former self's rear end into the next time zone), but this is different. This isn't making fun of someone different from us. This is explaining why so many people stay away from comic shops.

Let's put it another way. If Cat Piss Man were to act like this on the street toward random passersby, he'd probably get arrested or at least given a stern warning by a local cop. If Cat Piss Man were to do this at a restaurant, he'd be thrown out for bothering the customers. If Cat Piss Man were to do this at a nightclub, about eight big burly guys would take him out back and beat the poo poo out of him. If Cat Piss Man were even to smell like this in the Army, he'd get a good scrubdown with lye soap and wire brushes. (I had Cat Piss Man's brother in my Basic Training platoon in the Army, and we finally had to give him a blanket party a la Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket to convince him that bathing and changing clothes were good things, because every other method simply didn't work.) In a comic shop, though, this isn't only tolerated, its example just acts as encouragement for others. Every time I mention Cat Piss Man to a comic shop owner, no matter where in the country the comic shop is located, s/he laughs and says "Oh yeah: he's in here all of the time." It's not the same guy (sometimes Cat Piss Man is skinny, and sometimes he actually combs his hair), but this new Cat Piss Man is a glob off the original.

I'm willing to concede that Cat Piss Man buys something every once in a while, and that we can't afford to alienate customers in this depressed market. However, even if his Mommy's allowance gave him the opportunity to buy $200 or more in comics and other goodies a week, Cat Piss Man drives off easily twice that many paying customers, who would come back to a comic shop again and again if they weren't subjected to nasal rape every time they walked inside. This also holds true for the "Tragic: This Gathering" players shrieking at the tops of their lungs in the back (that is, except in the comic shops where the owners realized that they lost less money in sales to card game players by closing the gaming areas than they lost from items that "liberated" themselves when the gamers left for the day), or the guy who pesters customers into buying loose action figures out front because the store owner didn't want a box of dog-chewed Spawn figures. And let's not forget the fanatics who threaten violence upon anyone who dares scoff at the idea of an Action Girl/Witchblade crossover event. Comic store owners just don't seem to realize the lesson that the shantytowns out in front of movie theaters for Star Wars: Episode One taught movie theater managers: the last thing most patrons wanted was to be harangued by some dork in a Jedi costume who had been living in it for the last four months, and the fear of even getting close to the "Episode One" line meant that customers didn't come to see other films, either.

And for those store owners and patrons who don't think that Cat Piss Man and his brothers are a problem, look at it this way. Imagine going into a pet shop in a world where every pet shop had a big, smelly incontinent St. Bernard in the back. The dog doesn't belong to the store: it's just some stray that comes in every day, eats straight out of the bulk dog food bins, drools all over the copies of Reptiles Monthly and Tropical Fish Hobbyist up front, rapes the hamsters and dry-humps the legs of every customer that comes in, and doesn't contribute a thing to the operation of the store. If anything, it gets in the way of normal operation, and pet supply proprietors find that their business is directly affected by customer perceptions of the ordeal of trying to get around the St. Bernard poo poo piled around the front entrance. This world doesn't exist, although I've seen some pet shops that have come close. One of two things happen to pet shops like this: they go out of business, or the owner does an Old Yeller to the mangy beast and burns its carcass in a big bonfire out front.

The latter is what comic shop owners and managers need to do to their resident Cat Piss Man: throw the bums out. Don't joke about the stench or put on gas masks while Cat Piss Man is in the store, because he's spent years ignoring the comments of every other human about his appearance. Simply say "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave until you take a bath and leave the customers alone," and back it up. In the best scenario, he realizes that cleaning himself from time to time is at least as important as wearing pants, and comes back after realizing that his body isn't made from pure sodium and that soap and water don't necessarily burst into flame on contact. Otherwise, he'll throw a temper tantrum and stomp off to another comic shop; the other comic shop gets his pittance, and his old shop gets a whole passel of customers who apologize "I would have come in sooner, but that guy in here was melting the windows..." Either way, the problem is solved, and his old shop may even get a whole new contingent of customers who say "I used to go to that shop across town, but this guy who smells like he sleeps in a cat box came in and took over."

I'm not advocating setting up a dress code for comic shops, although I have to say that a dress code for comic shop managers and customers might not be a bad idea. (C'mon, guys: you don't need suits from Barneys, but have you ever wondered what people think when they see you behind the counter in sandals, ratty jeans, and a Lady Death T-shirt?) What I am advocating is considering the benefits of getting the shop Cat Piss Man to bathe or getting him to leave. And since none of the other customers are going to say anything, he's there until the store staff gets rid of him, and he'll cost you. Oh boy howdy, he'll cost you.

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-36461.html

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Feel free to fertilize the new thread by strewing about past posts, even when they're by yourself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ahem.

Doc Hawkins posted:

What's the best experience ever?

The next one you get to have with your cool friends.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Just heard a pretty great story from a guy.

Some years ago he was at a con, and signed up for a game. He doesn't remember the name of the system - some mil-sim thing - but he distinctly remember the GM claiming that his legal name was "Wizard".

Characters were provided for this game, of course. Hardened mercenary types. Three of them were identical, the fourth nearly so.

The game starts with the characters sent to this mansion. They're led around by the owner. The GM goes on and on about how huge and palatial it is. Decor includes golden statues of the owner.

Finally they ask, what the hell, is the game just a guided tour? No, the guy says, the mission is they need to protect him, there are people trying to kill him. Well okay, they say, I guess we'll start setting up defenses. No, he says, they're already here! Outside is an army of people. Like, on the order of 10 thousand.

The mercs leap into action, and act all military and serious, taking up defensive positions. Combat begins. Rounds pass. They shoot a guy, a couple of guys even, but what's the point when there are literally thousands more?

Hope is not yet lost! The mansion owner walks out to the front steps and shouts "Behold my true form!" He transforms into a dragon, and flies over the faceless nameless army, decimating them with his fire-breath.

Afterwards, the GM tells the players proudly, "Yeah, that guy? He totally used to be my character in this game."

I say this was actually a good experience, because the guy telling me this story, along with two of the other players, were inspired by it to start an organization just to ensure that cons have non-lovely GMs.

e:

Benjamin Black posted:

There should probably be some sort of explanation for the thread title in the OP.

Good idea.

e2:

FactsAreUseless posted:

That happens in the PS2/Wii game "Okami," I don't know if it also happened in another Japan-themed RPG.

Have you tried Ghost Story: a Japanese Ghost Story?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What a co-incidence, my house-rule is No D&D. :smaug:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sworder posted:

Eh, it's not so bad. Only a few hours every other Sunday.

Your time is only as valuable as you hold it to be.

e: Speaking of valuing people's time, I feel bad that I've turned two experience threads into three, rather than into one. :(

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 30, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

It sounds that way in retrospect, yeah, but at the time it managed to suck all the fun out of the game. When I say that he put it like that, I mean that those were his literal words: "I spend 4 Miracle Points with my Domain 5 to make [non-Power lynchpin of their plans] too lazy to do that."

What a fucknut.

quote:

I'm considering talking them (sans him) into playing Nobilis 3e, since it's a lot clearer in the rules.

So, I will not tell you to consider including him, because life is too short to play with fucknuts.

But! Your post made me realize that Newbilis is slightly more fucknut-resistant than NOldbilis was.

First of all, in 3e, Nobles aren't immune to direct Miracles, so Sloth could skip the middleman and just make the PCs too lazy to do anything! "That sounds much worse!" you cry. But even in the worse case, it would just give them an Affliction that would give them mad Miracle Points every time it kept them from doing something they wanted to...which it would be doing almost constantly!

What's more, it could be overcome for free if anything the PC cared a lot about (ie, had a Bond with) was at stake, and most Nobles have bonds with their 'side' (ie Hell-guys care about Hell enough to fight for it, what a shock).

And this is all assuming assuming that he actually can get a hit in, when everyone else in the entire group would respond by simultaneously making him furious with himself for doing something so stupid, filled with longing to see Hell's plans fulfilled, and proud of how much of a personal hand he takes in the plan, etc. etc.

A second lesser point is that, with the new Persona stat, Sloth have a lot of other powers that it'd be more interesting for people to deal with. He could take "Sloth is intelligent" as an Estate Property* and then make people, things or himself more or less intelligent, or "Sloth arouses righteous ire in others" or whatever else, and that would at least inject some variety into the awful proceedings. Even if he took "Sloth stops things from getting done," that would just mean he'd be making someone or something liable to mess up organized proceedings in some way, rather than always weighing people down with a boring lassitude.

He could also turn people, things, or himself into a particular quality or sensation of laziness, which seems like good fun even if he is only doing it to mess with other players.

To reiterate the important point, though (which you seem to already understand quite well): don't play Nobilis with this person, because they clearly can't think of anything fun they want a passionate semi-mortal of unknowable powers to actually do, and this does not speak well for their ability to play this particular game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Acceptable variation: the obstacle itself is hijacked and rammed into a planet or sun.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

And after that, how much longer did your game of Gokstads & Genocide run?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't think he specified that the villagers did anything to offend the party besides:

• breathing
  • having things
  • being within the limits of their caprice

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mornacale posted:

If the group wants to kill all the villagers, then I guess those villagers must be assholes that deserve it. :shobon:

I think I've reached my limits as a funhaver.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It doesn't work that way because it's more effective to the story to show how the Emperor doesn't want to efficiently administer the galaxy, but to dominate it with fear, and twist its nature into a reflection of his cruelty.

The force is life. The light side says that you're more than just crude matter, and you're connected to everyone else, and part of a greater network of being. The dark side says that you live by suffering and inflicting suffering, and you're going to die, and that's not fair.

You won't find many symbols of continuity and stability more potent than the literal ground beneath people's feet. To reduce an inhabited planet to wreckage does way more than just killing whoever's on it: it instills an insurmountable horror in everyone who survives. Make a giant flying 911-making machine, and get everyone more and more frightened, and more and more angry. The goal is not to destroy your enemies, but to make your philosophy seem innate to the universe, thereby enshrining it in every sentient mind, and stomp your sith-boots on every face forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can forgive star wars ships having wings; A good number of them double as shuttles and have to do atmospheric poo poo where wings are actually necessary/very helpful, so it never really bothered me. Am I broken?

Post in a more appropriate thread to find out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Quarex posted:

This concept would work great in the gritty Pokémon reboot that surely is coming to theaters near you any minute now.

Let he who has not thought of running a super-serious cockfighting seizure-monster campaign cast the first stone.

(Actually, I did more than just think of it. (Unfortunately it wasn't actually notable, but I'll try harder next time.))

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, there's always some need to have everyone at the table to be down with your character, but that goes super-double when they're terrible. If you aren't constantly explaining yourself, checking if your actions are okay with the other players, and doing something else when they say no, then it isn't your character who's an rear end in a top hat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

When a wizard offers you a hit of something, Ray, you POLITELY DECLINE!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

They wanted to go on, so I just went with it, I had a basic idea of what I wanted to happen but not how I wanted it to conclude.

:hellyeah:

The Parable of Going With It.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The experiment I remember was to charge parents money when their children missed school. Attendance went down. Welp!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 27, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

^^^ That is what seems to happen, yeah. Commodification of social pressure weakens it.

GruntyThrst posted:

"Hey we're just going to punish somebody else when you miss school, so don' do that!"

Combined with the fact that the only kids who really have an option/desire to skip school (fourth graders aren't going to purposefully miss the bus or something because what the gently caress else does a fourth grader have to do?) are going to be angsty preteens and teens who "hate their parents and you have the most ill thought-out consequence imaginable!

Hahaha, yeah, except the whole reason for the experiment was to find ways to counteract problematic numbers of kids being kept home to work in the house/fields. It wasn't held at your school, you see.

Kosmonaut posted:

:tinfoil:: Oh poo poo. poo poo. Guys, there's no way we can leave her alive after what we've done.

There really should be a Shadowrun Fiasco playset.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Was it the best thing ever?

Was it the worst thing ever?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then you should definitely post it. If not, then you should heistate.

Under no circumstances should you poll the thread to see if we want it enough.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Now now, most GMs who use crap like that that don't want to literally run everything for everyone, they just have no idea how to GM without doing so.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

On the other hand, playing as a sidekick, young apprentice, or little brother can be awesome. If, that is, everyone agrees to it and the less-able character is maybe a level or two behind at most.

They could be of equal or higher "level," as long as their abilities are still in-theme for brash youth.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Those stories sound respectively bad and good in ways that are independent of the use of Hackmaster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Shadowrun causes brain damage.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

Good RPGs in the hands of bad bad DMs are the worst thing, I swear. :(

Honestly, one of the strikes I hold against EP is that it's possible to be misused like this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

What, namely that it's possible to turn one's entire surroundings into a deathtrap and thus use it to railroad players, or...?

Yeah. There's no scene, session, or campaign structure, no assurances for the characters' abilities, no thematic focus...like Shadowrun, it leaves how to actually, like, play the game an exercise for the reader.

Game design is pedagogic design, and most "bad gms" are just victims of poor designs, having learned the wrong things.

(some bad gms are of course, terrible people who happen to play roleplaying games)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

And the game was made by some of the designers of 4th-ed Shadowrun, so there you go.

!!!

I suddenly understand so much more about it, and maybe even feel more understanding towards it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

My best experience was riding in the backpack of the party's Barbarian. Pocking enemies with my polarm wielding halfling.

See? I told you guys mounts were broken in 4e!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I would really like to run a game of Danger Patrol where the heroes come from the socialist utopia of the jupiter orbitals and the villains from the dust-maddened plains of space-oil-baron-ruled Mars.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The "joke" is that rape is "funny".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Look, everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is to recover from them with maturity. smug sociopath, I recommend you offer to run a one-shot as a break from his campaign, then relentlessly torture his character as he has yours.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

evol262 posted:

Presumably there's some other reason they like this guy.

Chance II posted:

Meeting new people isn't the end of the world

Both sides seem to be making some bold assumptions.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

berryjon posted:

Now, only I had UnderCommon as a language, so this conversation was 'private' between me and her. I could have done something different, but I wanted to challenge/exercise the roleplaying muscles of our new guy.

"Private" meaning private? With notes, or in another room or something?

Thanks for giving more evidence for my theory that doing that is always a bad idea.

quote:

We end up giving the Priestess to the new guy, but he drops after another month. He couldn't wrap his head around this whole "Role Play" thing.

I can't imagine why, except for when he told you he trusted you and you delivered his character as a burnt offering.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That is brilliant. Let's try to reconstruct it.

You've given items 1-3 already.

4: a thick visor which switches the character's vision and hearing, making them see sound and hear light.
e:
5: An RPG book containing many powerful secrets and detailed instructions on how to obtain them, for an RPG system and setting the character is unconnected to.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 23, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

23: Bear hands

For when you need to kill fast, and bullets too slow.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The power of the force is as nothing compared to the power to destroy something that has the power to destroy a planet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's almost like a kicker, except those are a sentence long, written by the player, and invite a variety of responses. Something like "The drugs are gone!" or "Your father's dismembered corpse is in the bathtub!" or the like.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Too cookie-cutter. Obviously, each would have a different disability and a unique fighting style to match.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LB is "Lady Blackbird." The techniques described could be used in a lot of games, though. Which is why I want to comment.

Exculpatrix posted:

So yeah, I managed to run a game where no one saw the twist ending coming, including me.

Ughhh, I've tried to explain this is possible so many times to so many unbelievers. Sometimes they get outright hostile at the suggestion. Thank you and congratulations for having an awesome direct experience of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Skill Focus: self-awareness.