Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly, while I've not read that book, that does sound suspiciously similar to the place we keep referring to as the Warrior Planet on account of how its people seem to have the same culture as the Klingons, who we brought into the rebellion by giving them better fighters and explaining to them that they could get in even cooler battles.

I like the idea of bribing a warrior race with new weapons and cool enemies to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When are we going to hear more about the crazy Star Wars game?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Order Xenos? Caught up with the whole 'Greater Good' bit might hint at a Tau connection. No idea if that would fit your setting though!

Also hive cities are good for every type of cult, since they are so incredibly dense.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Guildencrantz posted:

The campaign I described in my previous post way the gently caress back in this thread has wrapped up. I'll post to describe the ending, since it was awesome, but in the meantime, here's a tidbit:

I've taken over GM duties and I'm running something completely different - we went epic fantasy previously, now I'm rolling with supernatural horror in a real-world setting, namely, 1970's Poland. The players are a super-secret task force to deal with unexplained cases that seem to contradict the government's official materialist worldview - basically an Eastern Bloc X-files, with all the general everyday shittiness that entails. This also means they have to both solve them and provide a cover story.

I only ran one session so far, but my main goal with this campaign is to experiment with various gimmicks to better terrorize my players. Nature herself decided to grace our game with the tried and trusty cliche of a dark and stormy night, and we sat inside with the wind howling and the rain pounding against the windows.

They were sent to solve a couple of weird, seemingly impossible murders in a remote, crappy village. The killings were in fact committed by the ghost of a guerrilla fighter from the war, trying to get revenge on the people who ratted him out to the Germans 30 years earlier - only he got confused and murdered the wrong people, as well as stalking a young girl similar to her aunt (also killed by the Nazis), his lover in life.

The group is making progress, treating this as a murder mystery, questioning the locals, and digging through the parish archives of the local church. The church is also where the only phone in the village is located, and one of them already got the first bit of supernatural interference when he was talking on it and suddenly heard someone speaking in German. His character, naturally, rationalized it as the phone lines loving up, but the players were already getting jumpy. Fast forward to the imminent arrival of the climax: they are in the church, piecing together the bits of the puzzle, they've just found out about the mass execution of the resistance fighters and the village's dirty little secrets. A number of tiny things about their surroundings seems wrong - all of them possible to explain, but unlikely when taken together, so I've got the mounting dread going. At this point, two things happen simultaneously: the phone rings and someone starts banging desperately on the door.

So, with a reasonable amount of trepidation, one of them goes to pick up the phone, the rest answer the door. And here's the gimmick: I hand the phone-answering player a pair of earbuds connected to my real-life cell phone. He was kind of surprised but went along with it. The rest answered the door, and I told them how the aforementioned young girl runs in, weeping, screaming for help and shouting "get away from me" at some unseen presence.

Meanwhile, the phone played a little sound file I compiled specially for the occasion, consisting of screaming and gunshots over the dominant sound of a woman crying desperately. (yes, I ripped that off from Event Horizon) The player listening to it couldn't hear what I was narrating in the next room and had no idea the girl had come in. As if the sound hadn't freaked him out enough, when he took the earbuds out, I told him the first thing he hears when he puts down the phone is a woman crying.

The poor guy was honest-to-god pale, eyes-bulging frightened when I said that. It had an effect on the others as well, since they saw IRL how disturbed he was but didn't know what he heard. I feel a little guilty, but the group congratulated me for managing to actually scare them with an RPG :) Although I'm afraid I might give them nightmares with what I have planned next. It's kind of hypocritical to enjoy this so much since I'm a giant pussy who couldn't sleep after watching the Shining. Lesson learned, though - audiovisual gimmicks work for immersion in a horror game! Plus this is a great way to isolate a player when you live in a studio apartment.

Holy poo poo, I would love to play Soviet Ghost Busting. Or just read about it. It would make an awesome urban fantasy series.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
DCB, Tell me you guys are recording this campaign somehow. I want to read the whole magnificent epic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Have you considered that, rather than looking for the SSDs, you should instead arrange events in such a way that they appear where you want them to? Figure out a way to spring a trap on them and you've already won. Just because you guys are the Man now doesn't mean you shouldn't keep thinking like Rebel scum.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone have any really good Mage: The Awakening stories? I'd love to read a campaign log if you know of a good one.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GimpInBlack posted:

Go to RPG.net, search for Broken Diamond, Soul Cage, and The Man Comes Around, in that order.

Oh man. Thanks. These were great.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Clanpot Shake posted:

He actually gave me 50 bonus XP (half the cost of the cheapest skill increase in Dark Heresy) for thinking up a plausible scheme to walk out of a Magistrate's office with their notary seal. I really don't think he's prepared for a lot of the crazy poo poo we try. Except he will be next week because I tipped my hand for what I had planned to do with the files we'd stolen (which he and the other player there thought was brilliant). I'll be sure to write it up.

Since this is Dark Heresy, if your GM doesn't somehow have loving over that random employee and deactivating the old governor's original security dongle come back to bite you in the rear end, he isn't Dark Heresy-ing hard enough.

Also I'm glad you realized the Administratum is truly the greatest power in the Imperium. With the proper paperwork, you can steal a warship.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
"My name is Mr. Concern and I don't give a gently caress!"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cornwind Evil posted:

You know Minutia, Barudak, I believe one of you mentioned you still know someone who knows this guy and is gaming with him, I would REALLY suggest you pass on the message that he get himself some help. It's one thing to railroad, it's another to power play, it's yet another to cram your (assumed) fetishes into gameplay, hell it's even another to do all of them at the same time, but when you're doing them all to this degree it reads to me as someone boiling with anger and hatred over SOMETHING in their life and taking it out on any convenient target. It's just not healthy.

Better idea: You got out. You stay out.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kurieg posted:

Yeah in hindsight it probably wasn't the best way to put it. If you want the game to change, that's how you do it. If you want *them* to change you probably need to involve the authorities.

Spoken like a man who doesn't carry an emergency tear gas grenade and gas mask for emergency escapes. :shepface:

Yes I have been thinking about Shadowrun recently, why do you ask?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nucular Carmul posted:

I'm not sure exactly how to explain the madness that my group has been engaging in, but I will try because it's hilarious. We decided to playtest the homebrew Magical Girl class for 3.5 D&D (described here ) because we're all big gay nerds. We're doing this in episodic format, starting at 1st level and gaining a level each episode, until we're 20th level, essentially doing a 20 episode anime series. We are rotating among three DMs, me being one, because we figured we'd really stress test the class and have three different DMs attempting to deal with the characters and (now five, we started with the three DMs) players with their own combinations of the class's own powers and existing feats from the book. It was always intended to be lighthearted fun for us to dick around and not take too seriously, and it has become the favorite of many of us so far.

We're playing a bunch of anime ripoffs who are regular kids in high school. We have me as Saber from Fate/Stay Night, one DM is playing a female Version of Archer from the same show, the third is Sailor Star Healer from one of the Sailor Moon spinoffs, Koneko from one of the High School of the Dead shows (might be DxD, haven't seen those) and the guy who joined last week is playing something from an anime I have no clue at all about, and is the only male character in the group.

One of the DMs is having us essentially do things from the Madoka Magical Girl anime, we got ours powers from the little white cat looking dude from that show, and in his games, we have done the following:

-Fought a giant tentacle monster (don't worry, no anime girls were raped in the making of this encounter)
-Fought an evil witch who nearly killed Saber
-Saber got jumped by a Devourer by herself, which is a Challenge Rating 11 monster, at level 4. Took it out solo like a badass, then proceeded to get on her rusty, lovely bike someone had given her for nearly free, fumbled the Ride check and crashed it into a parked car and nearly got killed by the damage from that because she was seriously at 4 HP after the fight
-Fought a bunch of Jesters who were abducted high school kids mutated into twisted clown forms, Saber nearly got killed (this is a running gag at this point, she has been knocked unconscious three times in the five episodes we've played)
-Koneko is kind of a monk, except really drat violent, and has broken probably three different kids' ribs because they were bullying someone and she came to the "rescue"
-Got a date rapist expelled from school and put in juvie

The DM who is playing Sailor Star Healer has done one episode so far, the next episode is his, so we haven't done a lot yet, but we have a new history teacher at the high school who gave us an assignment to find old historical and cultural references to the C'thulhu mythos and compile a report on things that are similar in nature to the H.P. Lovecraft stories. Since this teacher showed up, there have been crazy power outages, horrible murders, and someone crashed a Prius through the window of the shop one of the characters has a part time job at. And we fought some Ilithids.

My two episodes so far have been far more comedic in nature, both on purpose because I'm a manchild who refuses to take anything seriously, and on accident because when I'm DMing my dice are possessed by Loki. so far we have:

-Had a science fair, Sailor Star Healer tried to build a tesla coil, Koneko managed to figure out how to turn "punching things" into a science project, Saber built a trebuchet, and Archer did a really complex report on the paths of arrows after they are launched, the effects of wind speed and distance, and a whole shitload of stuff. A frequently picked on kid planted a bunch of Saibamen from Dragonball Z, one of them exploded and killed a kid named Yamcha
-Fought Nappa, who showed up to find out why Earth wasn't destroyed by Saibamen yet. Vegeta was not there, but Nappa was wearing what appeared to be a human skull as a codpiece, and he kept talking to it throughout the fight
-Formed a band for a talent show being held at school a few weeks after the science fair, based on Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.
-Fought a dozen Owlbears
-Fought a giant super voltron Owlbear because we completely wrecked the dozen Owlbears and I decided the corpses should combine into a terrible monstrosity because the previous fight was too easy
-Met Vin Diesel, which was entirely unplanned, because we were actually fighting the Voltron Owlbear in the middle of a street, and I was rolling for a random chance for a car to happen by, and one did. Everyone but the Voltron Owlbear noticed the car coming and bailed out of the street, and the car hit it, going 40 mph, finishing it off. I had the driver get hurled out the windshield and decided that he should take 10d6 damage. I rolled something in the 30's, then rolled a percentile pair to see how much HP the driver had. I rolled a 98. At this point I decided that the driver was Vin Diesel, who was in the area filming for a Fast and the Furious movie.
-Played I Love Rock and Roll at the talent show, then played I Hate Myself For Loving You for an encore
-Fought a bunch of zombies and essentially turned the rest of the session into High School of the Dead because one of the kids dressed up as Michael Jackson, played Thriller, and rolled a natural 20 on the Perform check.
-Won the talent show through blatant cheating because things were so bad because of the zombie outbreak that the white cat thing from Madoka Magical Girl showed up and had to reset back to the point before the outbreak, so Sailor Star Healer convinced a fat kid to run up on stage and tackle the kid playing Thriller before he could accidentally summon the zombies

The four girls who have been a part of the show from the beginning have a reputation at the school because we have been incredibly hard on bullying. We've heard rumors that other kids are calling us the Four Horsemen. We have each been to the Principal's office several times, and a couple of suspensions have actually been handed out (Saber and Koneko) because we have outright injured people. The new guy in our group hasn't been picked on or bullied once because we ended up being the first people to introduce ourselves to him, so everyone assumes he is part of our group, although he's only been on one adventure with us so far.

Well you've got the "magical" part down pat. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like your party's style. Although making amends now means you just get to surprise the elements later when you ransack the REALLY BIG temple.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How'd you run the games?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bieeardo posted:

...I'm not sure if my favourite part of that was the Noise Marine hiding in the speaker, or the gigantic Dethklok-approved servo skull. Holy poo poo, that was hilarious reading.

Noise Marine for sure. Servo skull? Yeah, super impressive, but very much a thing to expect in the 40k world. Noise Marine infiltrating inside of a big rear end loudspeaker? Now if that didn't come from some insane Black Crusade game, your GM has a beautifully warp-touched mind.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
M. Ciaster, the rocket launcher/machine gun cross weapon was almost certainly a reference to Trigun. Nicholas D. Wolfwood is a wandering priest who uses one.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Not really seeing how that's an ending instead of a way to have a cool prison escape sequence.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's thermal.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Did you give him a chance to not gently caress up? I know you were new at DMing so you probably just went with it, but in a situation like that it's probably better to warn them that their course of action will probably end with their character dead or worse, or maybe play it out and then after somebody does you say 'ok so you've thought through that plan, and it doesn't work. What will you try instead?' Then reset the scenario.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
All that and what weirds me out is the friendly daemonette. What is her deal?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is it wrong that I hope it's the same dude?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well. The fact that it weighs on his conscience is a good sign, I think. Depending on how you guys play its a hell of an opportunity for character development.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nucular Carmul posted:

My group played Dark Heresy for the first time the other day. None of us are super knowledgeable about the lore and the universe, but we know enough to bumble around. We only had two players for it aside from the DM, so my friend rolled up a female Scum who used to rob trains and scam people on an old backwater world, and I made an Arbitrator who has turned out to be more or less Denzel Washington's character in Training Day. I rolled randomly for my character to be a dark skinned man, and was initially thinking I was going to play like the Operative in Serenity, but (partially because of the Scum) that has fallen through.

To start off, we were tasked with hunting down a Slaanesh cult rumored to be started by a rogue former Imperium Psyker, on a relatively comfortable, settled world. We ask around for information, and end up in a bar that may or may not have been near a meeting place for this cult. The bartender gives us some information and tells us there was a rumor that people were going into the alleyway next to his bar and maybe doing things there. I flip out and start demanding to know why he never contacted anyone about this, as it's been going on for a few weeks at least, and the bartender was like, "It was only a rumor, sir!" So I say "Now I don't like to throw around the word Heresy lightly, and this isn't necessarily heresy itself, but your lack of vigilance is what allows heresy to thrive! I will make note of this in my report." At this point I stormed out. We investigate the alley, find a secret entrance to the sewers, find a hidden door, locate the cultist's base. The Scum gets us in the locked door, and we shoot up a few cultists. I got injured in the fight, so we burn the corpses and leave for some rest, ready to try again the next day.

We get up the next day, and the Scum asks me how I feel about her doing a little "extra curricular activity" to make some extra money. I tell her if she can't control her penchant for lawbreaking, she might as well do something useful, so I tell her to go burglarize the bar we were at yesterday. She agrees to this, so I tap into the local law enforcement radio signals and wait nearby. Eventually a call goes in for a disturbance at the bar, so I walk over and ask what the problem is. Our Scum had hired someone to run a protection racket scam on the place, and the bartender was trying to get some police in to handle it. I read him the riot act, berating him for only running to the law when things directly affect him, and tell him this is clearly the God-Emperor's punishment for not being faithful and notifying the proper authorities when something suspicious was going on. After a good, therapeutic holler, I hear the radio chatter regarding the cops showing up at the bar, so I leave to go outside to meet them. I then proceed to yell at the police officers, telling them they were late, and did they have any idea that there was an entire cult of Slaanesh under this very street, etc. and rolled really well to intimidate them into coming with me, after calling them soft and weak and threatening to get them reassigned to a "colder, harsher world where your faith in the Imperium could be truly displayed."

The Scum joins back up with me and the squad of locals, and we go down to the cultist's hideout once more. They had a vanguard waiting for us, as I figured they would, and managed to take out all but one of the police before getting wiped out themselves. My partner and I collect upgrades from the fallen cops, not before waving my Arbitrator ID at the remaining cop who was protesting our blatant looting of dead people. We continue raiding the place, and come across a closet with some strange moaning emanating from it. "Whatever's going on in there is clearly heresy!" I state, so we shoot out the nearby lights with silenced pistols, and knock on the door to wait in the shadows. A nearly naked man opens the door, covered in various bodily fluids, and says "Is that you, Slaanesh? Have you come for me, I have come for you!" the Scum and I look at each other disgustedly and open fire, gunning him down with extreme prejudice. We all had a good laugh about that at the table, and the DM said "I don't know why, but that's all I could come up with at the moment."

Continuing on, we come to a door that is carved with VERY heretical engravings, and looking through the keyhole, we see a VERY heretical scene involving a bunch of people doing VERY heretical things. The Scum has the best idea ever, and I should take note right now that this is the sort of player who saves drat near everything he can. We've acquired some cultist robes/rags, some alcohol in a glass bottle, and various other things, but the point is, through the magic of fastidious inventory bookkeeping, we made a combination frag grenade/molotov cocktail out of the alcohol, some pellets out of one of our shotgun shells, and a ripped off piece of cloth stuck in the bottle. I breach the door and the Scum runs in and yells "Where's the heresy!?" and hucks the thing into the middle of this orgy, killing a few people and lighting even more on fire. We clean up after killing the rogue Psyker, and loot a bunch of heretical sacrificial daggers off the dead people. They all have symbols of Slaanesh on them, and the Scum decides to hang onto them.

After another night of rest, the Scum pipes up, "So, want to see if we can root out more heresy and corruption? Let's go try to sell these daggers and arrest whoever tries to buy them!" I am all in for this plan, even though I know drat well the woman doesn't give a rat's rear end about the Inquisition (it should be noted that her service was not entirely voluntary, and she was wearing a bomb collar, which I had the activator for) We commandeer a car in the name of the God-Emperor of Mankind, which is the nicest way possible of saying we carjacked someone at gunpoint and then demanded they not tell anyone, Inquisition business you see. We drive to the next town, and after a few hours of not much success, the Scum actually gets a lead to another cult, just barely starting to form, this one a cult of Nurgle.

The DM was looking rather pleased with himself for managing not to let us arrest someone and confiscate all their poo poo for no reason, but we had not yet begun to be corrupt assholes. We go over to the apartment building, said to be a place where some shady people were hanging out doing culty things. There are two men on the stoop of this place, and I attempt to ignore them and barge in, but they stop me. I start flashing the badge and demanding to be allowed inside, and they're being jerks about it, and one of them starts calling me a dirty pig and using a bunch of racial slurs. At this point I stated, loudly and with exaggerated pronunciation, "You wouldn't be impeding an Inquisition investigation would? It sure would be bad for you if you were obstructing justice!" I then proceed to whip out my shotgun and blast him directly in the chest. The Scum got my hint and already had her knife at the other guy's throat by the time the body hits the ground. I cover the still alive man with my gun and ask the Scum "Ms. Solaris, do you still have those daggers?" "Uh, yeah" "Good. Plant one on the dead guy."

We then took the guy out for a spin in our stolen car, conducting an orderly interrogation that was perfectly within the stated regulations expected of any law enforcement and definitely did not violate anyone's human rights, and once the man graciously volunteered some information, we called in a bomb threat on the building so the local cops would again show up to act as cannon fodder for us. So that was our first Dark Heresy session! We are probably doing it all wrong and violating many sacred tenets of Warhammer lore, but it was a lot of fun regardless.

Nope you're doing it right. You've even got the using the locals as summon-able meat shields down pat.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Just want you to know I'm interested in what you're writing, Robindaybird. I've got this thread bookmarked so I read everybody's stuff.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chaltab posted:

Really? My professors in grad school were always seriously chill. They had lunch and beers with the students during residencies and such. We never played D&D with them, but...

Grad students get quite a bit more leeway since they're as much colleagues as students, most of the time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Night10194 posted:

Look at all this truth. I haven't seen something try harder to be edgy and fail since pretty much anything to do with the Dark Eldar or Chaos Marines in 40k.

The Chaos Marines deliberately aren't too edgy since GW still wants to sell minis even to kids of uptight parents. See how Daemonettes no longer go half naked, there are pretty much no references to sex in the Emperor's Children Fluff, etc. Your main point still stands. The BoVD is babby's first attempt to shock others.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I dunno, unless you're playing an adversarial GM I'd have at least let them roll a spot check or something to give them a chance to spot that they weren't JUST ogres. Your game though, maybe that's what your players want.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Sunder is one of those techniques that you often need a player's agreement on, much like Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Basically, for every use a player gets out of it, so does the DM.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You realize you must enlist your new Eldar friend, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Four hour surprise fun times are why RPGs are such amazing things.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It almost sounds like "poo poo-that-didn't-happen" but DM's can be a special kind of horrible.
Where were their spot checks? Where was whacking the drat thing with a sword?
Chests are heavy. They shouldn't just crumble under a single fireball.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Why wouldn't the mimics all attack at once?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CaptCommy posted:

I'm confused why the DM let ANY of that stupid poo poo fly. If your group doesn't want to do PVP, don't do it. All that passive aggressive bullshit in the game was only one step removed from what the cousin was doing. You could save a lot of time and effort next time by talking to the problem player and explaining why his character or idea doesn't fit. Like, in their private talk before the game, how did the DM not kibosh a PC designed around PVP then and there?

I feel the same way. Don't jerk a dude around if it's obvious he's not fitting in. If he doesn't listen after you talk to him, then jerk him around.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doomsayer posted:

Jim's cool though, me and Jim are bros :ohdear:

Who's the lame one then? If he shows up ask him to leave.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
One guy pissed as hell and out for revenge though? That's the kind of thing that elevates games. Keep that dude around as an antagonist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Just post.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Future Son posted:

It's been 7 months and I still check this thread hoping for an update. I have no self-respect.

You are not alone.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Verr posted:

Doom, brother, I have had the opposite luck as you. Just moved for a grad degree, new town, knew no one. I seriously mentioned tradgames off-hand in a conversation about adaptation and then a week later two other grads from my cohort bugged me about starting a game. Now I have a group of freaking 10 people who have previously never touched an elf-game wanting seats at a "Show up with your dude/dudette" Dungeon World game. poo poo's getting real this semester. Gonna pull a Durlag's Tower on 'em. :unsmigghh:

My group is actually super fractious, with the Ranger and Wizard basically going all Spy vs. Spy in an attempt to kill the other without being too obvious in front the rest of the party. Each of them will try to "recruit" other players and NPCs into their rube-goldberg mid-Gorgon fight shenanigans. This has lead to smoking up with a plague god, eating the soul of a PCs' father, and accidentally exterminating a cult/refuge for the magically disabled. After chilling out with the plague god, they were shaking hands, dividing the loot, and packing their characters when the Druid pointed out they had just freed the guy who sent Bubonic-Wizard Flu out into the world. All the players sort-of refused eye contact and called it a night. The next session when I brought up plot hooks, everybody had "forgotten" their previous encounter, and denied anything like that even happened. I have the best players :allears:

My newest player rolled up a Paladin worshiping the Goddess of (Plutonic/Familial/Community)Love. He shares his love with the world the only way he knows how: By the might of his axe. :black101:

Plutonic love? So kidnapping the daughter of the goddess of seasons and creating winter kind of love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I had a good experience last night. It was also my first time rolling dice with others! We're playing Dungeon World and Nevermore214 is our GM. I'm afraid I don't remember everyone's SN.

I'm playing Barry "the Hatchet" Iodine, a poleaxe-weilding fighter from a trading family that is more adept at guarding stuff than selling stuff. Along for the ride were Shanna, a witch, played by someone with a baby so they couldn't be there for the start of the session; Im-Dar, a lizardman Druid and the only one of the party that's actually good-aligned; Willam, a bard who is contractually obligated to write a ballad about my exploits under pain of pain and a penniless noble to boot; and lastly but not leastly Nif, a Shao-lin-style dwarf fighter who knows only martial arts and mining.

We come up with some fun bonds between one another and we start the game. A shady dwarven caravan leader hires this band of misfits to escort him across the scrubland plains. We manage to find out there will almost certainly be an attack as the local tribes are very upset for some reason, so we extort him for more money and up-front hazard pay. We also find out he's smuggling crossbows, which takes some convincing to get him to admit - I borrow one for the journey, promising to take good care of it. He extorts one of us out of money for pipe-weed.

We set off across the desert and scout ahead of the caravan. Im-Dar takes point and notices a band of tribesmen waiting to ambush us. We set up a quick plan - the bard will run back and tell the caravan to stop, Im-Dar will get into position to ambush from behind, and Nif and I will wait to launch our attack. We proceed to do so, but the band of tribesmen creeps ever closer to our position. At this point I decide to go ahead and get the drop on them, and spring from behind the tree and fire my 'borrowed' crossbow. I fail badly, and throw the now broken crossbow aside. Nif charges and nearly kills his target, and Im-Dar clamps on to the likely-looking leader of the band's foot as a crocodile. I decide to charge and hit hard - very hard. I skewer my target on my weapon, and take some damage as he swings his sword and dies. Im-Dar drags the leader down to the ground, and Nif finishes his opponent off. More mooks appeared, and I killed the last one of the initial group pretty brutally, intimidating them a bit. At this point, it looks like it's going to be a blood-bath, but Willam shows back up in the nick of time to initiate a parley. We learn that we're passing through land that the tribe claims to own, and that someone's poisoned their well - apparently a dwarf. Some of us start contemplating betraying our employer, but wiser heads prevail and we decide negotiations are in order, and we head back to the caravan.

Now we arrive and quickly get down to brass tacks. The Witch player comes back from taking care of their baby and joins us. We try to get our employer and the raid leader to talk, but our employer is having none of it, and things turn nasty shortly, especially after the raid leader says he is sure that this is the dwarf that poisoned his well. The dwarf threatens to turn the guild of merchants against us. We beat him up anyway, with Im-Dar turning into a majestic yet tiny swamp deer for the tribe leader to ride into the fight. I demand that our employer tell us who is pulling the strings and who poisoned the well. He blames another dwarven caravan leader, who supposedly passed through the area recently but the tribesmen haven't seen another dwarf merchant at all. We learn that the only other place anyone would be likely to go is the Caves of Jok, a sacred and forbidden place to the tribesmen. We also learn Jok is, or was, a dragon. Now I realize nobody's heard of Jok, so the dragon is probably long dead, perhaps of old age. Surely we would know if there was a live dragon in the area, right? So I figure the other dwarf may be out to steal the dragon's horde before anyone else realizes the dragon's gone. I loot search through our employer's hidden compartment in his personal wagon in order to find any corroborating evidence, but things turn ugly. The other caravaners decide we're interfering too much and draw weapons. Shanna decides to blow up their poo poo, and drops a fire bomb on the last wagon, which is full of crossbows, and starts a nasty fire. I impale a third guy (I didn't roll less than an 8 for damage on all three guys I fought, and never missed) and contemplate how good I am at murdering people. The rest of the party cleans up easily, with Im-Dar delivering a vicious People's Elbow after turning back into a lizardman while flying as a heron and Shanna stone-cold dropping a dude from her broomstick to kill him. Now we scramble to save what we can from the caravan, as the fire is spreading rapidly. I manage to get the lead wagon with our employer's stuff in it to safety. The other caravans burn, but we salvage some poison cures and high quality leathermaking materials first.

So on our first job we betrayed our employer, butchered the caravan company that hired us, burned most of their goods to ash, and have decided to aid tribesmen who initially wanted to kill us by curing their sick and poisoned fellows.

I had a blast.