Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Alright here's a story. Was a while ago so I might be sketch on the details.

I was playing Living Greyhawk - basically it's where you play DnD at these set places like gamestores and cons, and you record your adventure records each time, so it's a giant metacampaign. This means that I was playing with new people (though obviously there were regulars) every adventure with my same guy.

Anyway, I'm at the table with this pair of people who know each other but I've never met. One of them is really boisterous, playing a Drunken Master with Improved Improvised Weapons, and thus, +1 chairs as his main weapons. The other guy was a centaur, and he was the sort of metal head traditional game player. Beard, pretty serious face, you know the type. He would answer questions asked of him and say what he was doing for his moves and that was it.

With two exceptions.

The first was at the beginning. Someone was playing a halfling or gnome or some small creature, and jokingly brought up riding the centaur. Not as a question to him, but just as banter. But still, he coolly interjected, "No one rides me." Which is a pretty sensible stance for a centaur to take, and we said no more about it. His buddy was really outgoing and the table banter was happy and friendly.

Now, as the adventure begins, we're chasing after this sorceress. I forget the exact details, but we had bayed her up into a building that was subsequently set on fire. She pokes out and proceeds to throw a baby out of the building before scampering off in the other direction.

Only one of the characters was in range, and what could they do but catch the baby and let her go? So, she got away, we all get together, and we're sitting here holding this baby. We have no clue whose baby it is, and we're arguing about what to do with it. We don't have time to go walking around presenting this baby to people, we need to start tracking her, but are we just going to leave the baby on the side of the road?

Centaur rolls a d20. We all look at him inquisitively.

"I rolled a 20, and crafted a baby saddle."

And that was how a baby (later revealed to be abducted from a villager specifically to throw as a diversion) got to ride a centaur for half an adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Captain_Indigo posted:

I may have missed the point entirely...but I read it as the centaur crafted the baby INTO a saddle...

Oh, heh. No, he crafted a saddle for the baby. It was heartwarming because literally the only other bit of tabletalk he had done was how adamant he was no one would ride him.

I can see how it'd be confusing because it's not like he had crafting tools and leather right there with him. But our DM was a good DM who knew that official rules and common sense aren't worth stopping a centaur from helping a baby. And hey, he did roll a 20.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

43. Headband of the Dunkmasters. +10 to dunk checks. Magically compels you to invent and popularize basketball so that you have a venue in which to make dunk checks.