Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Siminu posted:

My group is two sessions into a Dark Sun, Epic level, Evil campaign and it's been going great so far. I'm assuming it's the harsh tone of Athas, but it's refreshing to be able to interrogate and murder a group of innocent travelling merchants on the dunes in order to assume their identities, and not have to worry about how their poor families will feel about this whole mess.

"The Sorceror Queen has given you backstabbers a task, don't gently caress this up!" is a pretty good party motivator as well.

I'm brand new to Dark Sun, but isn't this kind of thing the norm? It seems like there are no good aligned NPCs in the whole place. Everyone is living in terror and don't go outside because even rocks have psychic powers and want to eat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Dareon posted:

Yeah, altruistic good is a very rare thing in Dark Sun. Unless you have a group of pathological goody-goodies. Never before have I felt like That Guy for fitting my character to the world flavor.

Strangely, the party I'm in right now is almost all good aligned characters, including a loving SiltRunner Defiler. I still don't know how that works. It's really weird being the only beacons of goodness in a terrible, terrible world.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

My mom read these to us, but I don't remember a lot of religious stuff. Did I just not pick up on it? (I brush my teeth religiously)

You didn't pick up on it. Momma Bear is a killjoy Christian and forces her warped 50's views on her kids and Poppa Bear.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Agrikk posted:

I'm not sure what it is about that, but when I see a guy with long fingernails I get grossed right the gently caress out.

I'm cool with the pinky coke nail, buw when the whole hand is tipped with gnarly nails...

Just. Gross.

areyoucontagious when I first started reading your story I thought it might have been a D/s couple playing in public, which could have been cool and intriguing, but nope. Just an rear end in a top hat.

It still might be a D/s thing without them really knowing it. I've met a lot of nerds with that kind of relationship that didn't know that things were supposed to be any different. Plus, that dude is a douche.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Axelgear posted:

GREATEST GAME EVER

And that was their first adventure.

This right here is my Holy Grail of gaming. I don't think I'll ever attain it. It being ever so slightly out of reach at all times.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I've been searching for a little bit now, but I can't seem to remember where or what Gaming Experiences thread it was that the poster had minstrels and actors going around raising the profile and even outright lying about how powerful the PCs were. This has come up in our game and I was trying to find out if it worked for them or not.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LordZoric posted:

Here's another session from a few months back. Same campaign. Same bad experiences.

[snip]

The GM responded by giving me a condescending look and saying, "Ahh, no." I was smolderingly pissed off. I was ready to quit the game right on the spot. "Yeah nobody is there to take your call. Sorry." He must have instantly sensed what a bad, bad move that was and immediately rescinded it and I could tell his mind was working in overdrive. But he's still a proud grognard, so he couldn't just make something awesome happen for a PC like that. So instead the GM says a unfamiliar voice answers the phone. He then proceeds to do a generic deep voiced "cool guy" voice (the only voice any of his NPCs have usually) mixed with the Heath Ledger Joker impression. It turns out there were clones before my PC, that part I had written in my backstory, but I also wrote that they were all disposed of due to them not being up to the agency's standard. Well the GM mentally rewrote that for me and said that one of them had survived and had gone insane. He'd kidnapped the main leader of the agency and it was oh-so-subtly implied that he had horribly murdered him. Grognard vengeance complete. The GM had almost completely wiped out my backstory in one little move. He told me later it was all he could do to contain himself from sadistically killing off the rest of the my supporting cast too. I decided to cut my losses. I had the character totally lose it and leave the group, trying to find his crazed clone brother, essentially retiring the character. What a waste.

Have you read The Boys? Because that is seriously your campaign.

Also, I would have left right there when he did all that. This plus all that other stuff is bullshit. Remember no gaming is better than bad gaming.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LordZoric posted:

Hahahaha really? I am not at all surprised. Despite lots of talk from the GM about publishing our campaigns as a novel someday, most of the plots have usually turned out to be copied almost plot-point by plot-point from some comic he's read. I'm curious, which parts of it did he rip off?

Well, the whole thing about the 'Avengers' being utter assholes and the protagonist is all about exposing them and taking them out by any means necessary. Basically, everything you described could have been a C-plot in that comic. You should check it out. It's super gory and really gets a little uncomfortable, but it's Garth Ennis, so what do you want? It just finished its run, and I know every issue is available online.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I remember in The Sunlit Citadel, the first adventure thing for D&D 3.0, one of my players, a Knight, with tons of Charisma successfully convinced the Goblin King to send all his subjects to kill the Big Bad of the module. The King was supposed to talk to the PCs before killing them to get them to surrender. The player pulled a natural 20 and a +10 bonus to Diplomacy out of his rear end and convinced the king that the bad druid in the basement was bad for goblins and should be killed for loots and fungus. Not wanting to make it easy, I had him pass like 4 different Bluff and Diplomacy checks throughout the dungeon and he passed all of them at level 1 by rolling 19s and 20s constantly.

You were supposed to get to level 4 in there and they did the whole thing in two sessions because they never actually fought anything. Afterwards, the Knight executed the Goblin King for trespassing on the Rightful King's Land and successfully Intimidated the rest of the goblins into running away. Those guys were crazy.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Oh I need to be clear that I wasn't complaining. I loved it. These guys waltzed through an entire dungeon in what I had planed to take like 6 sessions in 2. And you better believe they leveled all the way from 1 to 4 all at once after killing the king. It took them 3 trips to get all their loot out.

I had a blast and I love alternate routes past challenges.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Everything Counts posted:

Holy poo poo. I've never played anything 40K related but it looks like I'm gonna have to start.

Those posts are why I'm trying to badger my group into playing Rogue Trader. I've sent along the posts to my GM and he is now thinking about it!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

They'll do something similar if you schedule your game for a time other than 5pm on a Friday (the best time to play for most students :argh:), but club meetings on Fridays have scheduled games where they play 3.5 undt only 3.5, no exceptions.

I mean at least play Pathfinder, not 3.5. These guys are 18-22 years old. 3.5 was winding down when they were freshmen in high school.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

What do the Japanese think of all this? Do they think we're nuts?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Why do you even ask? :justpost:

Seriously this.

All the stuff I got is that our Rise of The Runelords campaign turned uncomfortable and dark when we realized after many years of gaming experience for all of us that ogrekin make more ogrekin by raping other humanoids and then eating them. Like it was printed in the book that they procreate by rape. Who comes up with this stuff?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So their response to a homophobic caricature of an effeminate homosexual was to gay-bash it to death? :stare:

I don't think they are killing the goblin because it was gay, but because it was an annoying little poo poo. I don't know, I wasn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

That beats the time in my first ever D&D game where some flavour of monk that can use anything as an improvised weapon decided to improvise and use our rogue as a weapon. DM not only let us calculate damage for the rogue striking the target, but also let the rogue take attacks of opportunity during the swing as enemies passed through his threatened squares.

So you Fastball Special-ed him? Awesome. My Runelords group has devised a way to do that, but with Teleport/Shifting/etc to get our Super Crazy Paladin into Full-Round Attack range of any creature on the first turn without taking AoOs. Everything then becomes a Flesh Blender afterwards.