Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wolvorine posted:

The sad part is I'm not going to bother to look for the posts to check, but I can say just from when you said he posted them and the degree of escalation you indicated that I strongly suspect I know who those posts were about.

BELIEVE THE INSANITY

Feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sneaky Fast posted:

would you quote them for us (me) poor folks without archives

Too much :words: for quoting, but I threw it in a PasteBin for the hell of it.

As I recall, opinions were divided at the time whether or not 50FA was full of poo poo, but most posters thought they were great stories anyway. Maybe he was a dick DM, but Stan (if he was as described) deserved every bit of it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Here we go again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skyscraper posted:

Quick, tell a gaming story to get us back on track!

Right, time to atone for my part in this stupidity. This is all according to memory from more than fifteen years ago, any incoherence in the story is probably my fault.

My high school group of friends was playing AD&D 2e, because this was the last years of the 90s, when Wizards of the Coast had acquired TSR and excited rumors of the upcoming Third Edition were flying, but we didn't know what exactly would come out of the new edition. We reveled in our imaginations, and also the Geek Social Fallacies.

In that spirit, perhaps, we decided to play a short adventure that the DM had partly worked up, to see how it flowed and help him improve his skills both a planning and improv, and dealing with the unexpected. We built characters at 8th level, if I remember right - none of us had cottoned to the fact that 8th level meant different power levels in that edition, because we had learned the rules from scratch, without the benefit of received wisdom from elder gamers telling us how to do it right. We were also kind of impatient and thought we were a lot smarter than we were, with a good grasp on the game rules enough that messing around and house ruling could only make the game better.

In other words, we were kind of dumb teenage nerds.

Anyway, the DM said to go a little crazy with characters, try some unorthodox things from sources other than the straight PHB. I don't quite remember what most of the other PCs made, but they pretty much fulfilled his request. One player who usually played clerics decided to put together a specialty priest of Death (the rest of us didn't quite realize what that implied until someone called for healing and she grinned, telling us she couldn't cast healing spells - that lead to some panic). I rolled a ranger, but made him a falcon hengeyokai, who fought with a staff. I think I just liked the picture of the Kenku in the 2e Monstrous Compendium. And rangers, I liked rangers.

We had a grand ol' time making the characters, brainstorming zany ideas and cool badasses, and trying to figure out how to build them in AD&D. I happened to have a copy of the old Dragon 250 Archive, so we had some resources to use so long as we could figure the search function out. One of the girls in our group ran Tarot readings for the PCs to help figure out motivations, goals, relationships between PCs and NPCs. Really helped flesh out the characters, and it's an approach I've used sporadically in building subsequent characters when the mood strikes. Lot of fun.

The star of the story was Josh, who came up with some sort of nebulous multiclass elf, which in hindsight makes perfect sense. It's long enough ago now that I've forgotten the precise mix, but it doesn't really matter, because it was wholly irrelevant bullshit anyway.

So we get to playing, and somewhere early along the line Josh's character did the brooding loner thing and went off on his own to get into trouble. Wanting the adventure to happen with us all together (freak mystical transportation, so we all needed to be in one place) the DM contrived to have him confronted by town guards of some sort to nudge him back towards the rest of the group. Josh declared that this was heinous railroading fuckery of the worst sort, and attacked the guards, who promptly wrapped him in a net and were dragging him back to the plot.

(I'm not going to pretend that mistakes weren't made on both sides. Like I said, we were dumb teenagers who didn't really know how to handle conflict.)

This is where the actual class(es) of Josh's character ceased to be important. Josh declared that his character was using his psionics to break the net and get up to fight the guards again.

DM: You don't have psionics, you're not a psionicist.
Josh: Yes I do. I'm a Wild Talent, it's right here!

Sure enough, in tiny writing, under "equipment", Josh had scribbled in something that looked like it might have been "Wild Talent". No further clarification on which talent. The DM shook his head - he was one of the few DMs of the 2e era that was familiar with the weirdness that was psionics, but it had a deserved reputation as the tool of cheaters and munchkins, because it was usually a simple matter to bullshit and bewilder a DM who didn't know the (highly optional and rarely used) rules from a dedicated splatbook. You could generally get away with murder.

DM: It doesn't work that way, and anyhow you can't concentrate - they're dragging you down a bumpy road. Look, just hold on so we can get everyone back together and -
Josh: NO! Fine! If I can't use my psionics I'm telepathically summoning my companion dragon. I fly in and use my breath weapon on the guards!

At this point the rest of us at the table just sort of went "What?" In the ensuing nerd-argument, it came out that Josh had taken the DM's request to make oddball characters as "make the most stupidly powerful munchkinized character you can dream up using obscure rulesets", and had half-remembered a Dragon Magazine article about playing a dragon servant that could call on their master.

Now it clicked for me. I owned the Council of Wyrms boxed set. He was talking about vassals. CoW was a 2e setting for dragon PCs. For places that were too small for dragons to explore (they couldn't all shapeshift), you might choose to play your demihuman "vassal" character, who you would send into crypts and whatnot.

Mr. Psi-elf was a vassal. Josh expected to be able to play the dragon PC as well. It hadn't been on his character sheet, either. The DM said no.

Josh threw a fit. An honest-to-god screaming tantrum. How dare we tell him he can't play his character? All the rest of us got to make the characters we wanted, why were we picking on him? We were all so mean!

But the DM, backed by the rest of us, stuck to his guns. Josh was shocked by this, and this is where the story goes from "bad player" to "thread-worthy": Because Josh threatened us all with a curse.

Turns out our fellow player was a wizard. A real one, in real life. And by god, he was going to curse us all. We'd all suffer for this, see if we didn't! He promised us that we'd regret the way we treated him.

He grabbed his stuff and stormed out. After the laughter died down, we got on with the game.

And that's the story of how I got cursed by a real-life wizard for being mean in a game of AD&D.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did it work?

Oh. OH GOD!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In one of the earliest surviving two-page story outlines, "The Journal of the Whills, Part I", the names given are Chuiee Two Thorpe of Kissel, his father Han Dardell Thorpe, and a Warlord named Mace Windy.

The story is basically one of court intrigue. It took a lot of revising to get the Star Wars we saw in 1977.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Coward posted:

And a lot of solid post-production editing.

Yeah, Marcia Lucas is an unsung hero.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Falstaff posted:

More of a bovinegarchy.

(I lol'd)

Clearly a livestocracy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samizdata posted:

Well, there's always reading On A Pale Horse, from the Incarnations of Immortality series for one take on it other than the Saint Pratchett had. You go that route, you had better start working up stats for curries and curry shops...

I used to say this was the one good book that Piers Anthony ever wrote - then I reread it a couple years ago and I don't say that anymore. Yeesh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Alternatively, Z gives way to AA, who gives way to BB, who gives way to CC, etc

"You're on thin ice with me, A-A-Ron!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CobiWann posted:

So...we may of, possibly, kind of, sort of, lost another god this weekend?

Did you check under the couch cushions?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Also foreigners and outsiders. Possibly a mythic representation of the conflict between the delta/fertile Lower Kingdom and the more desert-dominated Upper Kingdom. I seem to recall the emphasis on Set's conflict with Horus in myth gained more prominence after Egypt spent some time conquered by foreigners.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"And that's how the Sun died and we're all going to freeze to death next week."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Razorwired posted:

4e: Ranger, Rogue, Fighter, Warlord was a perfectly functional party.

Only if you use inherent bonuses, but yeah that party would kick a lot of rear end.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Firstborn posted:

I rolled on a bunch of Veteran of the Weird Waste and all this. The GM is adversarial and the card aspect of this game makes it super competitive. Thinking on it, I was just loving embarrassed. Not a SINGLE TURN or action the entire night. NOTHING. Failed every roll, and had a pants-making GBS threads heart attack that rendered me unconscious and permanently lowered my already low stats. In a way it's like a fire I can't look away from, because on some subconscious level I know this is bullshit and the GM is bad. I don't know. I just left super disappointed but trying to keep my chin up, but gently caress.
The DM's took individual road maps by state and redrew them to how they look post apocalypse. He's obviously worked a lot on this game and the work does show, but I managed to botch myself into looking like a goddamn clown. Most of the other games I can find are 5E, so that's sort of why I jumped at a system nobody appears to be playing. What a rabbit hole.

Hey friend? Not playing games is better than playing games that make you feel bad.

You are not required to pay back his investment at the price of your own happiness.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MelvinBison posted:

M: Can the ancient evil be punched?
PW: Probably.
M: Sweet. Let’s go.

Also playercharacters.txt

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Preechr posted:

I like the story about a bunch of dudes getting fed up with it and registering as a group of hunters, showing up at their usual hangout with klieg lights and super soakers filled with holy water. That’s how all vampire larps should end, really.

This only works if the STs are as sick of the bullshit as you are, otherwise they shut the deviation down right quick.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone ever done any campaigns set in very young worlds? Reading "Downtime" by Agrikk had me searching my memories, and I don't think that I have. Then it occurred to me that essentially every story and related tale I hear, whether it's an accepted, publisher endorsed setting or not, is set in a world that's been around at least quite a while. I suppose that it's more fun to play in a world with thousands of years of lore, but my curiousity has been piqued between Agrikk's recent post and having recently read some of the Dragonlance novels set thousands and thousands of years before the War of the Lance and such. One that I just read starts basically before bipeds existed and chronicles a basic history of dragons from their first appearances on the Prime Material Plane up until the "present", which did fill me in on some things that I hadn't understood.

Dawnforge from FFG is a d20 product from back in the day that explores this idea. I was intrigued by it but never played so I can't offer any personal experience. You might find some discussion if you look for that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ilor posted:

I don't know if it's still this way, but up until like 3rd Edition the spellcaster who won the "mage duel" was the first one that could get his gun out of its holster.

"I'm glad you changed your last name, you son of a bitch."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ten bucks says that's the problem player sock puppeting.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wotsa WORA?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I am sorry I asked.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The closest humanity has come to solving the problem of warning people away from closed doors for long periods of time was the curse warnings on Ancient Egyptian tombs, and 99% of those were robbed blind inside of a century.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Evrard's Ham Tentacles
Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Ham
Find Ham
Ham Strike
Hamkill

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's just Cure Serious Hams with extra steps.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MelvinBison posted:

The Plane of Rye actually collapsed ages ago due to a cataclysmic war between the three ruling factions: Seeded, Unseeded, and Marble.

Such a shame. Its Seven Seas were a wonder of the multiverse.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Something something Rod of Lordly Might.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sorry, what system is DX? It sounds like a neat game.

VVV Thank you VVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 31, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yawgmoth posted:

In lighter stories wherein I inflict my terrible sense of humor on my players, last session they needed to get a ship to Aerenal and met a totally-not-pirate named John Starling and paid and bargained for passage on his ship, the Blue Oyster. That got a loud "oh god dammit!"

Help a fella out? John Starling was a bluegrass musician, and of course Blue Oyster Cult, but I am failing to see the groan-worthy connection.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yawgmoth posted:

Jack is a common nickname for John. Starlings and Sparrows are both common passerine birds. Oysters make pearls. I trust you can make the connection from there.

Thank'ee! I was way off on the wrong track.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yawgmoth posted:

ah, a minnesotan

Be more broad-minded, could be a WASP from any midwestern state.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

That's what Moaner's Corner is for!

Could also sovereign glue the doors of the city guard stations closed, or levitate the duke's horse during a horse race

Settle down, Fred Weasley.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Which one died? I can never remember.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

At this rate you're just going to end up replacing alignment with different leftist tendencies

Chaotic syndicalist bard (w/ banjo), anarchist insurrectionist rogue with molotovs, a leninist paladin (Oath of the Common Man), maoist ranger...

I'd link the "Dungeons & Discourse" comic here but the artist kinda sucks so I'm not going to bother.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leraika posted:

Oh, really? I hadn't heard anything unsavory about Existential Comics.

I meant the Dresden Codak strips, I didn't know Existential Comics used the same name.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Preechr posted:

Your DM is lying to you and you know it. The School of Alteration is right there.

For when you want that really altered mental state.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
^^^ :argh: ^^^

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

It'll be conjuration one day!

School of delusion.
:kellysay:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thecluckmeme posted:

“I don’t like ‘em putting chemicals in the water that TURN THE FREAKIN’ FROGS FEY!"

I'll stop now

Not seeing a downside tbh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sinbad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JustJeff88 posted:

If I played 5e, I would want to be a bard. It's the first edition of D&D since.... ever where the class seems good.

I played a bard in a brief 4e game and it was a lot of fun. I can't speak for the full level range but it seemed like it would work fine. In 1e the whole multi class path requirements made it so that by the time you got to be a bard you were pretty capable anyway, and the bard class abilities were fairly impressive on top of that.

It was only in 2e and 3.X that bards got the shaft, being a lovely-thief-plus-a-bit and just plain lovely respectively.