Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Awful is an application for Windows Phone (the latest phone OS from Microsoft, not to be confused with Windows Mobile) that allows you to interact with the Something Awful forums in a mobile-friendly manner.

EDIT (4/19/12): The latest version of Awful on the Marketplace is 1.13. You can find it here.

QR code for 1.13:

EDIT (4/19/12): Having issues with 1.13? Check the post below this one for Troubleshooting options.

--------------------------------------

Viewing threads

In 1.13, you can:

• View threads horizontally, with one post on the screen at a time, or vertically, traditional style.
  • Double tap the thread title to show a "jump list", which you can use to jump to any post on the page.
  • Add forums you frequent most to your favorites list
  • Create, preview, and post threads
  • Select and use preformatted SA smilies and bbcodes
  • Navigate SA thread links within the app
  • View images in IE, or save them directly to your Saved Pictures album

(Edit: 4/21/2012) Photos:

This thread is for the discussion of the app, along with any issues, feature requests, or suggestions you might have. Enjoy!

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Troubleshooting (Updated 4/21/12)

• I can't jump to posts! Smooth scrolling is currently broken. Set the slider to OFF in settings.

• The number of unread posts are missing from the threads in my bookmarks! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" to no. This will be fixed in 1.9. Work in progress!

• Every time I click a thread with unread posts, it takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread post! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes. Also make sure to set "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" to yes. This will be fixed in 1.9. Work in progress!

• After I reply to a post, the app throws up an error when trying to jump to the last page, and I can't see my post! This is a known bug -- just tap reload to refresh the page and it should work properly.

• For some reason, I see "SAPoster" instead of the actual poster's name throughout the thread... Are you seeing "SAPoster" in the OP? If so, then do the following:

quote:

I think the reason for my name showing up as "SAPoster" is due to the control panel option Highlight the username of the "original poster" in thread posts -> yes. Try setting this to "no". Sorry for the inconvenience! I'll be playing with the different cp settings to ensure that user's custom configurations don't interfere with the app's functionality in later releases.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 22, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Crossposted from the Windows Phone App thread:

syphon posted:

The bookmark functionality is confusing.

1) The list of threads it's showing me looks nothing like usercp.php does on a browser (the list of threads is completely different).
2) Is there any way to show the unread post count next to the thread title? I don't know if any of these threads have unread posts or not.
3) When I tap a thread title, it takes me to the first post of that thread every time (not the last unread or even last post)
4) Sometimes it won't display the username of a poster, simply calling them "SAPoster". This is actually quite frequent.

Sorry for the laundry-list of issues. Is there a dedicated thread for this app?

MrDude posted:

Recently downloaded the app? There was an issue with the latest upload, in that the wrong thing got put up there or something.

1) the User CP is usually organized by fewest unread posts -> most unread posts -> no unread posts, which is a change, but makes plenty of sense as you get used to it. This is borked and currently makes no sense
2) This usually shows up next to threads in colored text,
3) This relates to the issue in 2, I imagine,
4) "SAPoster" only replaces unique names, that is, thread creators' highlighted blue names and mod/admin ones. I think. This has been addressed and will be changed in the near future iirc

Basically, the latest update borked a lot of things because the internet is dumb or something. They should all be dealt with in the near future.

MrDude has it right. To add, you still might see "SAPoster" for posts made by SA Admins (like Lowtax). I've fixed that in 1.9. Moderator posts should show the name of the author, though. Do people actually care about knowing who the OP is throughout the thread?

EDIT: To be more precise, the thread order priority is
  1. fewest unread posts
  2. most unread posts
  3. new threads
  4. no read posts

Since people might care about new threads more than ones they've read before, I will implement an option that allows new threads to be shown at the top.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

You can now edit your posts in 1.9:

As you can see, the reply area has a lot more real estate. Because of this, quoting is handled a bit differently:

Hit the reply button, then select quote... to enter quote mode:

Browse through the posts you want to quote (via swiping, jumping, etc.) and hit the add quote button. You'll get a confirmation that will let you know when the quote has been added:

When you're finished, hit the finished button to go back to the reply box:

I also fixed the bug where Awful will crash if it's been out of main memory for too long (I've been able to reproduce this scenario by having Awful in the foreground, then letting my phone sleep for ~20 minutes).

Since I'm the only person I know with an SA account and a Windows Phone, I'd like to put this version up for beta so you guys can dig into it before I release it out to everyone. Hopefully, we can iron out any major bugs :). If you want to participate in the beta, just post your live account, same as last time.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 16, 2012

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I'd love to try the beta, Live account is pcavit@hotmail.com

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
jazzyjays@hotmail.com. I'll help beta test.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
toastyghost at g mail dot com

Happy to beta test and bug report. Is there any chance of adding a text colour selection? On my Lumia 800 the text is pretty dark when using either the Blue or Nokia Blue system themes

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

If you want to participate in the beta, just post your live account, same as last time.

Count me in, asia.pickle@live.com

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

toastyghost at g mail dot com

Happy to beta test and bug report. Is there any chance of adding a text colour selection? On my Lumia 800 the text is pretty dark when using either the Blue or Nokia Blue system themes

It's in.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bootleg robot posted:

It's in.

Absolutely brilliant, thank you!

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
As much as I marvel at the effort and time to gone into this marvellous project, I do have to say it is still more coherant and easier and faster to just use IE9 to access SA. The app seems a little too busy and it takes considerable time to get to where I want too.

I still feel a UI with a similer layout to the forums is needed rather than an alphabetcal layout, though the recent addition of the bookmarks is great.

However though, I still use IE9 for serious browsing of the forums :(

Still credit where it is due, I do feel a great job has been done on this app, and I just know its early days as yet. I only hope my critisism hasnt been taken as nitpicking or trolling.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

No worries. I really appreciate the input and thanks for trying it out.

I'll definitely take your suggestion about the fourms menu into consideration. Can you expound on what you mean by "busy"? I'm certainly aiming for the exact opposite.

EDIT: Also, I haven't used IE9 since since I wrote the app. However, my browsing habits could very well be atypical of the average forum user.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 17, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Unfetered One posted:

As much as I marvel at the effort and time to gone into this marvellous project, I do have to say it is still more coherant and easier and faster to just use IE9 to access SA. The app seems a little too busy and it takes considerable time to get to where I want too.

I still feel a UI with a similer layout to the forums is needed rather than an alphabetcal layout, though the recent addition of the bookmarks is great.

However though, I still use IE9 for serious browsing of the forums :(

Still credit where it is due, I do feel a great job has been done on this app, and I just know its early days as yet. I only hope my critisism hasnt been taken as nitpicking or trolling.

Yeah it's far too Metro to be space efficient. Add a small graphical or numerical indicator in the same red to the right of the thread titles, bring them closer together and seperate with a thin grey line, this will save tons of empty space.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

All images should be properly hidden on load now, and should have a fixed width after tapping [tap to show image]. Attachments, too!

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah it's far too Metro to be space efficient. Add a small graphical or numerical indicator in the same red to the right of the thread titles, bring them closer together and seperate with a thin grey line, this will save tons of empty space.

Thanks for the input. If by space efficiency you mean having as many clearly defined threads as possible displayed on the screen, then you're right. However, I'm trying to strike a balance between good utility and also being visually pleasing.

I think the point of Metro is to be able to discern individual items without the need for any bars or separators (unless when it makes logical sense like a calendar or graph). The spacing, font size, and font weight should be enough to tell the threads apart. Not sure if it's worth tightening up the spacing and adding gridlines just so I can squeeze two more threads into the view.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

All images should be properly hidden on load now, and should have a fixed width after tapping [tap to show image]. Attachments, too!

Thanks for the input. If by space efficiency you mean having as many clearly defined threads as possible displayed on the screen, then you're right. However, I'm trying to strike a balance between good utility and also being visually pleasing.

I think the point of Metro is to be able to discern individual items without the need for any bars or separators (unless when it makes logical sense like a calendar or graph). The spacing, font size, and font weight should be enough to tell the threads apart. Not sure if it's worth tightening up the spacing and adding gridlines just so I can squeeze two more threads into the view.

I agree with your view on Metro theming, and adding gridlines would completely violate that. One of the things that makes Metro work, though, is that you can set things up so that the most common things you want to do are easiest to reach. The bookmarks page helps that a lot (I rarely go looking for new threads on the phone), but it would also be nice to have a list of "favorite forums" that let us go to the places we go fast. Think of it as the home screen to your alphabetical forum listing.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Love the app bootleg. Can't wait for the next version with some of the fixes.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

kapinga posted:

I agree with your view on Metro theming, and adding gridlines would completely violate that. One of the things that makes Metro work, though, is that you can set things up so that the most common things you want to do are easiest to reach. The bookmarks page helps that a lot (I rarely go looking for new threads on the phone), but it would also be nice to have a list of "favorite forums" that let us go to the places we go fast. Think of it as the home screen to your alphabetical forum listing.

I agree with you on the favorites feature. I'll work something up and post a screenshot when it's ready. After favorites are done, I'll stop updating 1.9 and upload it for beta testing.

In other news, All images can be saved to the image library -- even GIFs (The GIFs are saved as JPG files and will no longer be animated, unfortunately). Saving attachments was a pain (I have no idea what format the image is in without doing extra work), but it works!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

kapinga posted:

Or forum/thread jump-links to pin to the real home screen.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

kapinga posted:

Check it:

Eggnogium posted:

Or forum/thread jump-links to pin to the real home screen.

How's that?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'm down for another beta as well. <redacted>
Also, it just occured to me that the jump list is not constantly being displayed (which overall is a good change), I feel like I'm missing some form of visual cue of how far down I've read on the current page. Not sure how easy it'd be to implement something like that, or if I'm even the only one who'd appreciate it.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 21, 2013

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

I'm down for another beta as well. tim.hoffmann likes gmail.com
Also, it just occured to me that the jump list is not constantly being displayed (which overall is a good change), I feel like I'm missing some form of visual cue of how far down I've read on the current page. Not sure how easy it'd be to implement something like that, or if I'm even the only one who'd appreciate it.

The post number ("#12") is right next to the post date. I could add something like "#12/40" so users can know how many posts are on the page as soon as it loads up.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Oh, I completely missed that before, sorry. My ADD-plagued brain still longs for some sort of non-numerical indicator like a progress bar or similar, but I have to admit I don't know where you would fit that in without introducing clutter. Post numbers get the job done (and I like your suggestion), but as I said, I'm pretty sure this is a rather idiosyncratic request, so don't worry about it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

bootleg robot posted:

Check it:

How's that?

Exactly what I was picturing. Awesome, and fast.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

A shame polling isn't allowed by the admins (though I can understand why). Being able to turn a thread into a live tile that would flip on the addition of new posts would be an awesome idea.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Edit: Nevermind. Totally read that wrong.

tk fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 18, 2012

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I'd like to beta test, as dividertabs at hotmail -- and please e-mail me if you want another developer.

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 18, 2012

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is tapping to move between posts inconsistent for anyone else?
I find that often when I tap either side of the screen, I get the expected visual cue (although tapping the left side gives me bars on both sides of the screen) but nothing else happens, until I repeat the process a couple of times. I'd put it down to lag/loading time, but the metro-style loading squares don't show up in most of those instances.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Is tapping to move between posts inconsistent for anyone else?
I find that often when I tap either side of the screen, I get the expected visual cue (although tapping the left side gives me bars on both sides of the screen) but nothing else happens, until I repeat the process a couple of times. I'd put it down to lag/loading time, but the metro-style loading squares don't show up in most of those instances.

Nice catch! I've never tapped though posts fast enough to notice that. Fixed in 1.9.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
And I missed the part where you've re-opened a beta for testing. I'd love in if you're still giving out invites: edit: removed

kapinga fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 19, 2012

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

I'm super excited for 1.9 beta to start, mostly because without new post counts on the bookmarks screen like the previous versions had it's really tough to use. Any idea how soon that is happening?

The other changes look really nice bit that's the big thing that keeps me from really being able to use Awful right now.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tivac posted:

I'm super excited for 1.9 beta to start, mostly because without new post counts on the bookmarks screen like the previous versions had it's really tough to use. Any idea how soon that is happening?

The other changes look really nice bit that's the big thing that keeps me from really being able to use Awful right now.

Are you certain you're using 1.8? There was some weirdness with the marketplace not pushing the right version to people. With 1.8, there's an "about this app" button that tells you the current version. If you don't, try removing and installing the app again.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I have 1.8 and also have the "no post counts on bookmarks page" bug. Eagerly awaiting an update.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

bootleg robot posted:

Are you certain you're using 1.8? There was some weirdness with the marketplace not pushing the right version to people. With 1.8, there's an "about this app" button that tells you the current version. If you don't, try removing and installing the app again.

I've definitely got 1.8, just re-installed to be sure. Still not seeing the blue highlights under threads w/ new posts like I used to.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Tivac posted:

I've definitely got 1.8, just re-installed to be sure. Still not seeing the blue highlights under threads w/ new posts like I used to.
Same here. About page says 1.8 and I've tried reinstalling it too. They worked properly until this update from the marketplace.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I'll submit 1.9 to the marketplace today, it should take no longer than Tuesday at the latest to be available. When that happens, I'll post the deep link to the beta in the OP.

I admit I'm a bit concerned with this bug. I keep both the dev and release versions on my phone, and I cannot reproduce it -- unread post counts show up properly under threads in the bookmarks section.

Are they missing on the forum pages as well?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

bootleg robot posted:

I'll submit 1.9 to the marketplace today, it should take no longer than Tuesday at the latest to be available. When that happens, I'll post the deep link to the beta in the OP.

I admit I'm a bit concerned with this bug. I keep both the dev and release versions on my phone, and I cannot reproduce it -- unread post counts show up properly under threads in the bookmarks section.

Are they missing on the forum pages as well?

I see new post notifications on forum pages, they're only broken on the bookmarks screen. I'm also having some very weird sorting on the bookmarks screen, presumably due to the same issue.

Could it be a plat/no-plat thing? I have platinum.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Unread post count is displayed just fine for me on 1.8. From what little I know about the OS it seems unlikely, but is it possible that this is a device-specific issue somehow?

Edit: I have platinum as well.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tivac posted:

I see new post notifications on forum pages, they're only broken on the bookmarks screen. I'm also having some very weird sorting on the bookmarks screen, presumably due to the same issue.

Could it be a plat/no-plat thing? I have platinum.

It very well could be, but if you were able to see it in 1.6, then chances are that it doesn't make a difference. Before I post the beta, I'm going to add a debugger to it. You guys will have the choice of enabling it and sending me debug logs via email. That should help me narrow down where problems occur.

Just to make sure, would you mind sending me the html of your control panel page? kollasoftware [at] gmail.com

^^^^^ I suppose that rules platinum / no platinum out.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Awesome, thanks for that. I really do love the app so not having those unread counts on the bookmarks screen really bums me put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Here is a blurry photo showing the lack of # of new posts.
It doesn't seem to be affected by changing the theme (light/dark) or the accent color.

Edit: I have plat and the no-adds upgrade if that matters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naffer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 20, 2012

• Locked thread