Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Resetting / recovering the password for the Unifi Controller is slightly awkward but not at all difficult.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909294-UniFi-How-to-recover-lost-password-and-username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Aquila posted:

Against my better judgement I put a ubnt AP AC Lite in my mom's house to replace a wrt-54gl running tomato 1.23 (lol 8 years old). 3-5 regular users with 2 devices each and they say it's solid. I am very please with this.

One oddity, the controller wouldn't accept my password the second time I logged into it, a little weird and I'm not sure if I'll be able to reset things if I need to. So far it was so easy to set up I think I would actually recommend one of these ap's for a relatives if they need better wifi.

I'm running quite a few of them and so far the hardest part was attaching all of them to a centralized controller. Definitely a fan- ours have been rock solid.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

And there goes Ruckus being absorbed by Brocade...

Ruckus Press Release posted:

Brocade to Acquire Ruckus Wireless to Build a Networking Company for the Digital Transformation Era

Brocade’s position as a pure-play networking company, addressing critical networking requirements from the data center to the wireless network edge.
Transaction expected to be accretive to Brocade’s non-GAAP earnings by Q1 FY17
Brocade increases stock repurchase authorization by $800 million

SAN JOSE, Calif.—April 4, 2016—Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) and Ruckus Wireless (NYSE: RKUS) today announced that Brocade has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Ruckus Wireless, Inc. in a cash and stock transaction. The acquisition will complement Brocade’s enterprise networking portfolio, adding Ruckus’ higher-growth, wireless products to Brocade’s market-leading networking solutions. It will also significantly strengthen Brocade’s strategic presence in the broader service provider space, with Ruckus’ market-leading Wi-Fi position. Brocade expects the transaction to be accretive to its non-GAAP earnings by its first quarter of fiscal 2017. The Ruckus organization will be led by current Ruckus CEO, Selina Lo, and report directly to Brocade CEO, Lloyd Carney.

Under the terms of the agreement, Ruckus stockholders will receive $6.45 in cash and 0.75 shares of Brocade common stock for each share of Ruckus common stock. Based on the closing price of Brocade’s stock on April 1, 2016, the transaction values Ruckus at a price of $14.43 per common share, or approximately $1.5 billion, and may fluctuate until close. Net of estimated cash acquired, the transaction value is approximately $1.2 billion.The cash portion of the purchase price will be funded through a combination of cash on hand and new bank term loan financing.

As companies move to digitize their business, they need an underlying network architecture that supports business agility. This New IP architecture enables the network to become a platform for innovation and for developing, delivering, and securing new applications. Wireless is a critical access technology and the combination of Brocade and Ruckus creates a new type of pure-play networking company, with solutions spanning from the heart of the data center to the wireless network edge. In addition, after close, the acquisition is expected to accelerate cross-selling activities into the respective companies’ partner and customer bases, opening up new revenue opportunities for the combined company across a variety of verticals, including large enterprises, K-12 and higher education, government, hospitality, and service providers

Further, the acquisition will strengthen Brocade’s ability to pursue emerging market opportunities around 5G mobile services, Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Cities, OpenGtm technology for in-building wireless, and LTE/Wi-Fi convergence. Brocade and Ruckus believe that the integration of Wi-Fi and the use of shared access or lightly licensed spectrum are critical to meeting the ever-growing demand for coverage, capacity, and consistency required for next-generation mobile services. These elements are important in Brocade’s strategy to disrupt and enhance the way edge services are created and delivered.

"This strategic combination will position us to expand our addressable market and technology leadership with Ruckus’ fast-growing wireless LAN products, and supports our vision to deliver market-leading New IP solutions that enable the network to become a platform for innovation,” said Lloyd Carney, chief executive officer of Brocade. “History shows that focused, pure-play companies often innovate faster, are more agile, and deliver better value to their customers. With the rapidly evolving requirements of the digital transformation era, we are positioning ourselves to lead where technology is headed. We believe that combining our portfolios will provide significant benefits to our customers and will enable us to accelerate our growth and value creation."

"The combination of our two companies will create an exciting new thought leader in networking and significant opportunities for our stakeholders to participate in the combined company's future growth potential,” said Selina Lo, president and CEO of Ruckus. "We operate in adjacent segments of the larger networking market with a number of common customers for our complementary products, and have a successful track record of working together. We are excited for the opportunity to join the Brocade team and to jointly deliver innovative, value-added solutions to our enterprise and service provider customers.”

The acquisition will be conducted by means of an exchange offer for all of the outstanding shares of Ruckus. The completion of the exchange offer is subject to customary conditions, including reviews by U.S. and international antitrust regulators and the tender of a majority of the outstanding shares of Ruckus’ common stock. The companies expect the transaction, which has been approved by both companies’ boards of directors, to close in Brocade’s third fiscal quarter of 2016.

Brocade Increases Stock Repurchase Authorization by $800 Million

Brocade also announced today that its Board of Directors has increased the authorization to repurchase its common stock under its existing stock repurchase program by $800 million, bringing the total remaining amount authorized under the program to approximately $1.7 billion. This increase is intended to facilitate the repurchase of all shares issued in conjunction with the Ruckus acquisition. While Brocade has targeted the repurchase of all those shares within six months of the closing of the acquisition, the timing and amounts of these acquisition-related repurchases will be determined by Brocade, based on the trading price of Brocade's common stock, general business and market conditions, and other factors. The repurchases may be made in the open market or in privately negotiated transactions.

Webcast Information

The companies will hold a joint webcast today at 5:30 a.m. PT (8:30 a.m. ET) to discuss this announcement. The webcast can be accessed via Brocade’s IR website at https://www.brcd.com/events.cfm and Ruckus’ IR website at investors.ruckuswireless.com A replay of the webcast will be available for 90 days following the call at https://www.brcd.com/events.cfm and investors.ruckuswireless.com .

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
It seems like just about everyone of Junipers wireless partners has gotten bought out in the last 3 years.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Goons, tell me about wireless survey tools. I've started at an MSP who ships out all their wifi stuff to other companies, I want to bring this in house. I've mucked around with some survey tools (Arcylic and TamoGraph), the Tamograph one seems pretty awesome, especially with the whole predictive survey it will do with a building plan where you draw all the walls in and it and seems to have presets for alot of common AP's we use (Cisco Aironets Cisco small business 300's, Meru and Arubas)
Is there any planning/survey tools or equipment some goons can recommend I try before I go and drop 2 grand on some survey software?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Desktop surveys are fine for predicting coverage, they won't show you weird issues caused by reflections due to strange construction materials. The companies that we tend to deal with will do a predictive coverage survey free of charge upon receiving dimensioned floor plans and use it as a way to open up a sales lead. Actually going to site and performing a proper survey with AirMagnet is a chargeable service.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Oh yeah thats exactly what the companies do that we sub it out to, you get your free predictive survey which recommends they come on site and run around with a laptop for a few hours. I'm just finding out what the good software to use is so we can do that ourselves. Is Airmagnet any good?
I'm more interested in the predictive stuff for the small stuff, a bunch of our installs are in houses owned by a business. Given they're actual houses, its normally a couple of AP's & I'm really not expecting any surprises but the client wants it done and everyone likes a good heatmap right?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 6, 2016

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Ahdinko posted:

Oh yeah thats exactly what the companies do that we sub it out to, you get your free predictive survey which recommends they come on site and run around with a laptop for a few hours. I'm just finding out what the good software to use is so we can do that ourselves. Is Airmagnet any good?
I'm more interested in the predictive stuff for the small stuff, a bunch of our installs are in houses owned by a business. Given they're actual houses, its normally a couple of AP's & I'm really not expecting any surprises but the client wants it done and everyone likes a good heatmap right?

Used to be LANPlanner was the holy grail for this sort of work, but welp Zebra killed that product off more or less.

A couple of the field guys I work with recently attended training for Ekahau's predictive tool and they seemed impressed. Less so with AirMagnet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whatever you go with make sure the predictive stuff and the physical survey can share floor plans. So if you do a prediction and the client wants an actual survey you don't need to repeat work, and can use the survey to confirm the results from the prediction.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a UAP-AC-Pro gen2 that will not adopt. I tried factory resetting it several times. Any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SSH to it and point it at your management server

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909754-UniFi-Layer-3-methods-for-UAP-adoption-and-management#Section_5

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We use Ekahau and are happy with it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Goons I need some guidance. Wifi has been causing nightmares at my office.

I'm in-house IT (mostly end-user and maintenance stuff) for a company with about 70 people in our main office. We share a building - and ownership - with an event space. I support the event space, too, thanks to the shared ownership.

The event space regularly hosts events with a couple hundred guests, sometimes including having 100-300 people doing online training simultaneously - a lot of tech companies come here. Network-level stuff is handled by an outside contractor, who we just signed with recently since our old contractors were assholes and didn't deliver. I wasn't doing IT when the old contractors were, so the reasons behind most decisions are lost.

What we ended up with was an Adtran Bluesocket setup with a total of 10 Bluesocket 1920 APs around the building. It is not good. It is bad.
We have the same APs in a separate warehouse, and there it is also not good, and is bad. Roaming is troublesome, with devices regularly dropping.

The last two weeks the event space has been hosting 60-90 people every day for online trainings, so that's been at least 100+ devices connected at any given time. They all pull traffic at about the same time, since they're following along.

The main event area they're in has 5 of these 1920 APs in it, all broadcasting at low-ish power and on different channels, which seems like it works great when you get a dozen devices down there doing simultaneous speed tests, downloads, etc. but it does not work when you get 100. People mostly stay connected, but lose connection out, or their download speeds will go from 40 Mbps to 0.40 Mbps until they reconnect. Wired users are entirely unaffected by any problems.

Reception coverage is not a problem, but the building was originally a metal foundry and is all steel and reinforced concrete... so if you round the corner from the AP you're connected to your reception tanks impressively. But for most of these wifi-heavy events people are stationary.

We've tried a ton of changes, essentially rebuilding the entire network, redoing the config for the APs, etc. and we've tried drat near every combination. poo poo still sucks.

The new contractors and I basically think the APs aren't up to snuff. We are strongly considering replacing them. The contractors - who do not sell hardware - recommend Aruba, which they use for their own offices/datacenters and have had good luck with with other customers.

Are we being led down another path of folly? Bluesocket was the last contractor's idea and it didn't go well. I want to try and be sure we aren't going to eat another ten grand in APs only to get frustrated, can the contractor, and replace the APs again in 18 months.

gently caress, tl;dr: we have Bluesocket and it sucks; will switching to Aruba make my dreams come true?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd focus more on a well written requirements document and holding your contractors to account than worrying too much about the APs being supplied. If they are happy that the Aruba kit will perform then let them install it.

Having said that, there's so much that can go wrong with Wi-Fi before you even get to the actual AP - stuff like physical positioning, channel plans, Tx power etc. Maybe find someone who is happy to work on the stuff you have and get them to do a few days consultancy to resolve the issue.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Goons I need some guidance. Wifi has been causing nightmares at my office.
gently caress, tl;dr: we have Bluesocket and it sucks; will switching to Aruba make my dreams come true?

First you have to realize that wifi is horrible and was designed to make admins life hell. I have run Aruba systems in dense environments and had it be acceptable to good. 12 AP's in 12,000 square feet for ~150 users. You will probably do well with Aruba in the setup you described, but no system is perfect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
What kind of clients are you using?

Android devices in particular are really reluctant to go looking for another access point, they'll happily hold on to scraps of a signal from half way across the building even though you're standing 10 feet from another one. I've seen this result in entire access points basically going useless while they waste all their air time retransmitting signals to a distant tablet which is barely maintaining a connection. (on that note never use "high power" or "long range" APs unless it's a line-of-sight situation like outdoor where adding more density is just not an option, the AP may be more powerful but if the client can't respond it's all for nought).

Ubiquiti added a feature a while back to cause APs to kick low signal clients, forcing them to go looking again and likely find a closer one. I'd imagine most other good WiFi solutions offer something similar. Implementing that cut down my WiFi complaints significantly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's pretty much a standard feature on anything that isn't just a bunch of Asus routers set to the same SSID and plugged in.

If you're really concerned about the ability of the network to meet your needs then it's likely that the contractor can request all the kit from the supplier as demo stock and install a proof of concept. If they can't do it then there will be people like Meraki who will.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just get Ubiquti stuff and do it yourself. You don't need contractors to manager your wireless these days.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd focus more on a well written requirements document and holding your contractors to account than worrying too much about the APs being supplied. If they are happy that the Aruba kit will perform then let them install it.

Having said that, there's so much that can go wrong with Wi-Fi before you even get to the actual AP - stuff like physical positioning, channel plans, Tx power etc. Maybe find someone who is happy to work on the stuff you have and get them to do a few days consultancy to resolve the issue.

This is a good point, and I think it's a big part of why our setup is poo poo. When this situation came to a head, last week when a major event had serious issues, we revamped all of the considerations you mentioned to only modest improvement. The Adtran stuff probably can work, but if we can switch manufacturers and get better rolled out more quickly, we will do that

Aquila posted:

First you have to realize that wifi is horrible and was designed to make admins life hell. I have run Aruba systems in dense environments and had it be acceptable to good. 12 AP's in 12,000 square feet for ~150 users. You will probably do well with Aruba in the setup you described, but no system is perfect.

Thank you for this.

wolrah posted:

What kind of clients are you using?

Android devices in particular are really reluctant to go looking for another access point, they'll happily hold on to scraps of a signal from half way across the building even though you're standing 10 feet from another one. I've seen this result in entire access points basically going useless while they waste all their air time retransmitting signals to a distant tablet which is barely maintaining a connection. (on that note never use "high power" or "long range" APs unless it's a line-of-sight situation like outdoor where adding more density is just not an option, the AP may be more powerful but if the client can't respond it's all for nought).

Ubiquiti added a feature a while back to cause APs to kick low signal clients, forcing them to go looking again and likely find a closer one. I'd imagine most other good WiFi solutions offer something similar. Implementing that cut down my WiFi complaints significantly.

The devices will vary, but the most important ones will be laptops. That is interesting to know about Android.

I don't think the Bluesocket vWLAN setup has that kick-weaklings feature, a lot of clients seem to stick to far-away APs with some regularity. I might be wrong; I haven't been the one to really dig into the depths of vWLAN configuring.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah it's pretty much a standard feature on anything that isn't just a bunch of Asus routers set to the same SSID and plugged in.

If you're really concerned about the ability of the network to meet your needs then it's likely that the contractor can request all the kit from the supplier as demo stock and install a proof of concept. If they can't do it then there will be people like Meraki who will.

The demo thing is interesting, and I'll definitely float the idea of a test setup before commitment. Our contractor has gotten Aruba to come out and do a site survey, which I think is more than the previous contractor did. Aruba will also sell make recommendations on specific APs for specific areas at that time.

Internet Explorer posted:

Just get Ubiquti stuff and do it yourself. You don't need contractors to manager your wireless these days.

This sounds great for our office but when a $4b company solely uses your event space to host their 100-200 new hires, 8-10 times a year, who they fly in from literally around the world, for onboarding and initial training for 2 weeks at a time, you don't want to lose that contract. It has to be perfect. Plus there are a bunch of other tech companies and events in this space that also require super-reliable access.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
A question for anyone else running Aerohive gear that has registered an account with the support portal: Do you receive NDA'd announcements regarding product lifecycles & updates? I feel all :ninja: every time I receive one since we're not a partner, just a school district with several hundred AP's and growing.

On a definitely unrelated note to the above, anyone running 390's, don't upgrade your firmware if you utilize 5GHz a lot...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aerohive have really disappointed me with how they communicate with partners/customers and their insistence that all support queries (at least in EMEA) are handled by the distributor that supplied the products. It wasn't that long ago that I had a meeting with a distributor about the lack of Wave 2 AC products and how the pricing wasn't competitive since we would have to bid against vendors who did have Wave 2 without the price lists to be able to do that effectively. We were told that Wave 2 was a bit of a gimmick and then Aerohive released their own Wave 2 product. So either Aerohive are flailing around a bit, or their communication between themselves and distributors is poor, but neither scenario is great.

I still like the products but there's so many little issues that added together make it a hard sell. And also I'm starting to come around to the school of thought that says buy mid-range stuff like Ubiquiti and just upgrade it every two years since the actual radio tech is advancing so quickly.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Thankfully we don't have that support issue for the US market, considering the vendor(s) we buy the gear from can barely manage to avoid tying their shoelaces together in the morning. Aerohive even gave us the ear of one of their engineers for 8+ hours over two days in order to shore up our RADIUS configuration after the original vendor ham-handed their way through it.

Though in our dealing with the engineer we discovered the same issues as I've seen from others in terms of their default settings/radio profiles being hot garbage. Band steering off by default? Nah, that won't cause any issues in a densely deployed AP environment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah we struggle with the radio profiles as well. Out of the box they are complete poo poo but you get a different set of best practises depending who you talk to, which differ from the material delivered through the ACWA/ACWP. I get that wireless is tricky and different situations require different approaches but it seems to be a problem that other vendors have solved.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Internet Explorer posted:

fuckin laffo spot the guy who knows nothing about wireless

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a wireless contractor is happy to quote you for products without doing an actual site survey then run the gently caress away.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

fuckin laffo spot the guy who knows nothing about wireless

I'm certainly no expert, but that's my point. I have implemented several wireless environments that got up to a couple hundred devices using Unifi APs and have not had any major issues.

I will admit that I somehow missed the OP on the topic and was reading the responses. Was phone posting at the time so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Sorry for the completely useless reply.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Our 1st gen Unifi AC AP's have been giving me headaches ever since we started shifting to laptops and having groups of 5-10 people go onto wifi for meetings.

Devices seem to randomly have their connections drop. Tried tweaking power and min rssi to get clients to home onto an AP near them, but they seem to want to randomly jump to distant AP's.
Tried to dial down the number of APs we have online, but the access points reboot if they get more than a few clients putting light load on them.

Getting my free Meraki AP soon, if it seems to work out I'll probably end up replacing our Ubiquiti stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti have pretty much disowned the first-gen AC products. I'm not really clear what went so badly wrong for them, I know they weren't particularly cheap and used the same radios that other people were using, and for whatever reason they didn't/couldn't fix the issues by releasing a later product revision. Were they just trying to fix it in firmware all the time until they eventually gave up?

Meraki stuff is good, just make sure you're aware of the TCO before getting too involved.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
In my opinion the best thing about Meraki is having a hotline straight to their techs without having to jump through hoops, night or day.

The TCO is a little out there and it's not as configurable as straight CLI gear, but if you fit the target profile for what their equipment is designed for, it can be worth it. If you're an actual enterprise business with network people on staff there are probably better options.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 6, 2016

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti have pretty much disowned the first-gen AC products. I'm not really clear what went so badly wrong for them, I know they weren't particularly cheap and used the same radios that other people were using, and for whatever reason they didn't/couldn't fix the issues by releasing a later product revision. Were they just trying to fix it in firmware all the time until they eventually gave up?

Meraki stuff is good, just make sure you're aware of the TCO before getting too involved.

Yea that seems to be the impression I got from their forums, really soured me that zero handoff was always just around the corner for years now. People still commenting in a years old thread asking when this will happen.

$880 looks like it will get me a MR32 with a 5 year enterprise license, which is I assume is the cloud license thing that it needs. In 5 years I'm guessing it will be time to trash and renew anyway. Which for 'Cisco' quality gear seems reasonable. Are there other hidden costs? I'm digging the free 100 device management that I can use to manage certs for WPA2 Enterprise and not need my people to use their AD credentials anymore. That way I can better restrict access to only approved devices.

Edit: I'm in the, I don't have time to work on this I just need it to work out of the box and I can pay a premium, camp.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti's zero-handoff from the original UAP line involved just setting every AP to the same channel and a virtual BSSID (I think, going from memory here) so the clients only ever saw 1 AP. I think that became more or less impossible to do for 802.11ac due to MIMO and interference issues, so roaming is handled by 802.11r and requires the client devices to support it, which most do. I think Ubiquiti were quite early on the ac bandwagon so might not have had .11r support.

That price sounds pretty reasonable, 5 year buys you some time even if you want to trash them after 3 or 4 as you can pay 3 years licensing pricing for 5 with most resellers as the margins are decent on the licenses. The MR32 is a decent AP as well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Yea that seems to be the impression I got from their forums, really soured me that zero handoff was always just around the corner for years now. People still commenting in a years old thread asking when this will happen.

$880 looks like it will get me a MR32 with a 5 year enterprise license, which is I assume is the cloud license thing that it needs. In 5 years I'm guessing it will be time to trash and renew anyway. Which for 'Cisco' quality gear seems reasonable. Are there other hidden costs? I'm digging the free 100 device management that I can use to manage certs for WPA2 Enterprise and not need my people to use their AD credentials anymore. That way I can better restrict access to only approved devices.

We've been very happy with the Meraki wireless gear for remote sites, only real downside is the cost if you're comparing it to something like Ubiquiti. They've been reliable, support is good and they seem generally committed to continuing to support their products when a new device comes out. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Edit: I'm in the, I don't have time to work on this I just need it to work out of the box and I can pay a premium, camp.

With your edit, you will be very happy with Merakis. I have also done a lot with them and they are fantastic APs if you are okay with the cost. Like others have said, their support is great as well. We just ran into issues where clients were balking at the cost and Ubiquiti was a great fit underneath that, where we started to lead with Ubiquiti and bump up to Meraki if necessary.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti's zero-handoff from the original UAP line involved just setting every AP to the same channel and a virtual BSSID (I think, going from memory here) so the clients only ever saw 1 AP. I think that became more or less impossible to do for 802.11ac due to MIMO and interference issues, so roaming is handled by 802.11r and requires the client devices to support it, which most do. I think Ubiquiti were quite early on the ac bandwagon so might not have had .11r support.

I think that is the source of my main problem, we're using WPA2-Ent and without 802.11r or ZHF when the devices decide to randomly jump AP's it causes a lengthy disconnect/reconnect process.

Sounds like Meraki has a lot of love here, looking forward to this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think there was at least one other vendor that did the same thing, I think it was Meru. It just doesn't scale since there's a finite amount of capacity available in a given channel.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The home networking thread loves Ubiquiti stuff. When people say they have issues with first gen ac, do they mean the current 802.11ac access points, or something else? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the home network users skipped the square UniFi AC access points - the original UAPs were $100 a go and amazing value, the current round AC UAPs fall into the same box. The square AC APs were three times the price.

I have a few UAP AC Lite's dotted around the house and they are brilliant. Just waiting for the 8 port UniFi switch to be available over here so I can have everything managed from the same portal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the home network users skipped the square UniFi AC access points - the original UAPs were $100 a go and amazing value, the current round AC UAPs fall into the same box. The square AC APs were three times the price.

I have a few UAP AC Lite's dotted around the house and they are brilliant. Just waiting for the 8 port UniFi switch to be available over here so I can have everything managed from the same portal.

Thanks. I'm going to be getting a couple of the round AC Pros for the new house.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They had a v1 and a v2 of the AP-AC Pro. As someone already mentioned, they had some hardware issues with v1 and they very quickly came out with v2. You can see them named differently at the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The bluesocket stuff may not be high performance for large client density - but :

You don't want to run a large open area with 150-200 people with a bunch of omnidirectional APs at minimum power.

The people and equipment in the room will impact the RF environment, and turning the power up fucks your device roaming. If their stuff is like it was pre-virtual, trying rf calibration drops all your clients.

Directional antennae aimed at pods of seating is the way to go. Not Unifi APs. Do with what you can I guess but you may kill yourself with too many APs in the area and clients roaming or latching, and the APs not handling the client load.

• Locked thread