Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I'm not terribly well informed on business-class wireless stuff, so hopefully this isn't too stupid. My company is moving to a new building that is about 120' square, basically wide open except for a block of concrete-walled rooms in the middle (bathrooms, server room).

I have about 60 employees to plan for who have phones, iPads, and a chunk of them with laptops. I figure I basically have to plan for 100 devices or so currently. In a space this small with few obstructions, am I right in assuming I want to have 6 or so APs that are centrally managed and load balancing the clients across available APs? Am I over-thinking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

ptier posted:

They work pretty well in multi ap situations. At the moment they don't communicate when to hand off between APs and just let the client take care of it. However with version 3 firmware they will be able to do this and it will work with all current APs in production.

I think that might be pretty important to my setup given the floor layout and seating plan (and the resulting density) I've seen. Do you know if that is something that will be available soon?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks guys. We're not moving until July at the earliest, and we don't have a "proper" wireless setup currently, so I may be able to afford to wait and/or buy them and see if I can get in their beta program or something. I imagine the update will probably be officially released by July anyway, but it wouldn't be the end of the world in my case either.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Aquila posted:

Juniper ex4200-48T can be had for ~$12-1500 used, also has 8 PoE+ ports for wireless gear. amazing switch.
HP 1910 can be had for ~$500, managed with console and ssh access, no poe though
Netgear makes a 48 port all poe with 8 poe+ for like $650, web management only.

Big fan of those Juniper switches too. I prefer the HP Procurve 2910 over the 1910 (3com) though, and they're about $650 used usually.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

Why wouldn't you do the 2530 over the 2910/2920? They're cheaper, and he didn't say anything about routing.

No reason other than that's what I'm familiar with and I haven't looked at the newer ones. We switched to Juniper for most of our stuff a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

Sorry for going wired instead of wireless here, but how hard was the jump to Juniper from HP? We're planning to replace our HP 2810s and 2650s and while we've had great experiences with them, we're also eyeing Juniper's stuff...

The transition wasn't bad at all, and I'm more of a server guy than network. The Junipers are fantastic so far.

• Locked thread