Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I am actually glad this thread came up, right now we're using a three Cisco 1131 units. At the moment we're using WPA2-Personal with a single SSID.

Once I fix our backbone network I'm looking to roll out VLANs and have an employee setup using WPA2-Enterprise alongside a WPA2-Personal guest network, but not quite sure what the best way to go about this is. I'd rather not buy one of the $1k+ controllers, but if it's what we have to do then it is what it is.

e: holy poo poo, this UniFi stuff looks really awesome and ridiculously cheap. Maybe I should junk the Cisco... Does it do WPA2-Enterprise?

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I just installed two UniFi access points as part of an evaluation to potentially replace my (stupidly expensive and lacking central management) Cisco 1131AGs.

Holy crap these things are awesome. The price point and feature set seemed too good to be true, but after playing with these for a bit I'm highly impressed.

Now I need to figure out how to get a RADIUS server up and running so I can test rolling out WPA2-Enterprise.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Partycat posted:

However, Ubiquiti's UniFi AP is 2.4GHz only.

Their Pro AP does support 5GHz (as well as dual Gig-E uplinks), but it's around twice as much as the standard AP. Still pretty cheap though, if you need it.

Following on... I can't get RADIUS authentication working for some reason. I'm not even seeing errors or anything useful to troubleshoot with.

Authentication server is Windows 2003 using IAS. I followed this guide. It's double-annoying because I'm getting hits in the IAS log, but they look like successful attempts, yet Windows 7 won't connect... and gives no reason why.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2012

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Last night I powered down our old wireless network, 2x Cisco 1131AGs with a third acting as a guest. Stupid, horribly config. gently caress my predecessor.

Now we have 3x UniFi access points, for roughly 50 devices. Everything is better in every way... and I rolled out WPA2-Enterprise. Never looking back.

On that note, I have three 1131AGs up for sale now. PM me if interested.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

diehlr posted:

It is my understanding that it is up to the device to roam from one access point to the next. I don't think Unifi has the ability to force which access point a device is on.

Correct. I haven't seen any major issues yet or had any devices not properly roam, however.

• Locked thread