Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I'm toying with the idea of setting up some Unifi Pros as standalone APs for our branch offices. They'll be behind NATed DSL internet connections, so I'm guessing that running them off a controller is out of the question.

Am I wasting my time using them as standalone APs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

ptier posted:

You may have to play with the DHCP / DNS at the site to point to the right public IP but otherwise you should be fine.

http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#L3_.28Layer_3.29_Management

Cheers, I've seen that one and have been assuming it'll work (most sites have cisco routers so I can configure DHCP option 43). I wasn't confident in the fallback option of configuring them and then deploying them as standalone units, but I'm about to grab a unit and give it a go.

stevewm posted:

Do you have a VPN setup between your branches? You could just install the controller software somewhere that all your branches can reach... Bandwidth use is negligible as the only thing going to/from the controller is status updates and events.

I have several UniFi APs now spread across several branch locations. The controller sits in the main "data center" that all the branches can reach via VPN. I utilized the DHCP Option 43 method to get the APs to see the controller.
I'll probably look at that down the track if I run into problem without it.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 24, 2012

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Question: If I have three access points setup in an office all with the same SSID, how does a client choose which access point they will connect to? I assume it is based on signal strength?
As far as I can tell, that's it. Roaming/handoff isn't managed by the controller like it is on an enterprise Aruba/Cisco system costing 10x as much.

I'm planning to have enough units set up to test this some time before Christmas, assuming the morons in my org's finance department actually pay our supplier on time.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Controller roaming is 802.11r as mentioned before, limited but 'enterprise' use case: continuing VoIP calls between zones.
I'm not sure what you're responding to . You've got a sarcastic link to this post:

adorai posted:

Unifi does not support 802.11r, which is the technology that APs use to assist client roaming.
Which doesn't really add anything.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 7, 2012

• Locked thread