Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Question: If I have three access points setup in an office all with the same SSID, how does a client choose which access point they will connect to? I assume it is based on signal strength?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

stevewm posted:

Unless you have a centrally controlled system that has options for client roaming, then its entirely up to the client itself.

I use a SonicWALL NSA 3500 with 3x SonicPoint Ne WAPs. I don't see anything in the configuration for that.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Is this normal?

Setup:
2 VAPs over 3 physical SonicPoint APs.
1 VAP is our Guest and the other is our corporate network where the SSID broadcast is disabled as you can see is blank in the left of the graph.

Why does the hidden SSID network drop signal like that? It does this on all 3 APs as you can see. It's not actually dropping though because if you're connected to it, it stays up just fine. What is causing the signal monitor to think these are dropping though? I assume it has something to do with the suppressed SSID?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 11, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

wolrah posted:

Hidden SSID networks can only be seen when they're in use. Networks that broadcast SSID do so fairly regularly, providing a reasonably constant signal measurement even if they're not actively in use.

I see, thanks.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Oh thank gently caress, we have 16 SonicPoints deployed, each one more lovely than the other.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Hey is anyone in here experienced with long distance PTP CPE equipment?

We currently use a mix of Redline AN50, Redline AN80i, and Redline RDL-2000 equipment to link our very rural remote branches together where broadband isn't available, not even DSL. We have a unique situation where each branch has a 130ft to 150ft tall structure we can mount the equipment on. However, it's getting relatively expensive to manage these loving Redline boxes so we've been looking at alternatives which lead me to Ubiquity. Does anyone have experience with Ubiquity Rocket M and Ubiquity Bullet M equipment? Some of our PTP links are 60 kilometers, something the AN50 and AN80i equipment can handle. Can the Ubiquity equipment handle these distances? I only ask because Ubiquity stuff is so god drat cheap, there has to be some "gotcha", right?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Well it's just branch locations that have like 3-4 people working at them, nothing serious, but they do need reliable internet and connectivity to the internal network.

What do you mean by "no sync"?

The current dishes are actually 2 foot panels. But if we went with Ubiquity, we'd probably get the Rocket dishes, either the 2 foot or 3 foot dishes.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

Hell no.

We've gotten nearly 20km out of a point-to-multipoint Ubiquiti link but I have no expectation that it would magically triple its effective distance when shooting point-to-point. They're good gear but not quite that magical.

How high is your equipment mounted? The data sheets on the Rocket M say they can achieve 50+km. The Air link tool they provide show an excellent signal.

Keep in mind, this is in a very rural flat area with the only obstacles being a few trees. If you had a good enough set of binoculars/telescope, you might even be able to see the other end with full los.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

What I'm going to do is just order the gear for that link and try it out at the 60km link and see how it goes. Ubiquity is so cheap it doesn't really hurt to try it, I guess. Worst case scenario, we pop the Redlines back in and reuse this equipment on a smaller link.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Caged posted:

60k is ambitious off the Ubiquiti stuff. What issues are you having with your current gear?

It's old (9 years) and time for replacement. We don't really want a mix of different equipment so it's either stick with Redline or find something else. However, Ubiquity is so cheap it doesn't really hit the wallet hard to order one set and try it out now that I think about it. That 60km link is sitting at a signal strength of -79.44 dBm currently which is actually quite poo poo so I'm not really holding my breath for this Ubiquity equipment. The link however has zero packet loss, 2-3ms latency, and doesn't have issues with VOIP and light internet browsing so it works for us. I'm not really sure what the bandwidth on the link is but the interface is saying 18mb/s using unlicensed 5.8 frequencies.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Luckily for us, there is barely any interference because of our location. Still on the fence about what we're going to do but if we do end up trying the Ubiquity gear, I'll let you all know how it went.

• Locked thread