Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
What's the deal with Ubiquiti moving most of their standard wireless products to their Legacy hardware page? Is this a sign they are getting out of the market and more into higher end gear? I don't want to start purchasing equipment that is no longer going to be supported or sold in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
It is my understanding that it is up to the device to roam from one access point to the next. I don't think Unifi has the ability to force which access point a device is on.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003

lOi posted:

My boss just gave me a task.

Find a way to provide a rock steady wifi connection to 150-200 ipads in a 500sqm area that is really prone to interference. Its in a trade fair where there are other vendors also setting up their wireless networks.

This show happens like 4 times a year and i'm the lone moron that has to set it up by myself. Oh yeah, he wants it to be done as cheaply as possible. Is this even remotely possible?

How many other vendors are there and why does he want this?

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003

stevewm posted:

With UniFi the controller is basically just a central point for configuring and status updates, firmware updates are also distributed through it as well. The APs themselves have no interface for configuration. Traffic is not forwarded though the controller. Unless you are using the guest portal, the controller is only contacted periodically to send status updates. In fact once the AP has been adopted to the controller and configured/updated, you can shut the controller software down, the APs will operate fine without it.

Will they remain functioning properly without the controller indefinitely, in case of power loss, etc? I've been thinking of deploying these in residential scenarios where there is no computer that could be dedicated to hosting a controller.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

Woah! It looks like SonicWall actually has plans to update their firmware to make the wireless suck less.
http://www.sonicwallonline.co.uk/News/SonicOS-5-9-Imminent-Biggest-update-ever.html

The biggest complaint I hear is that is flat out doesn't work well. New features look good on paper, but don't really count if they don't work.

• Locked thread