Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Caged posted:

I think this probably qualifies me as an idiot, but I definitely saw something in a thread about Wi-Fi that was a small cheap (<£100) device that plugged into a home workers router and established a VPN link back to the office without any input from that user, then shared it out over a built in AP and had a single ethernet socket in case you wanted to plug in a desktop.

I've gone back through this thread and can't find it, and looked at any VPN type threads in here as well, but I have no idea where I saw it. If this sounds familiar can you jog my memory please?
(it actually has two ethernet sockets for tunneling back to the HQ)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps11579/data_sheet_c78-651456.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Langolas posted:

I use a Cisco 5508 controller with my corp network and I tied it into WCS.

Get that WCS upgraded to NCS!

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Langolas posted:

I was digging into NCS a little after I saw this, what would be one of the key features you like to force my hand to make the upgrade? I only monitor a few things in WCS currently. I hadn't even heard of NCS til you posted about it, Cisco has too many products for management imo

WCS will not support new wireless software releases (7.2) and will probably go end of life soon. Also it is only supported on Windows 2003.

NCS is a new shiny (web2.0) generation of WCS that soon(tm) will be able to manage switches. It is normally delivered as an Vmware appliance and has a new DB backend making it much faster.

If you do upgrade now an upgrade to NCS will only cost you the software itself, you will get to migrade your WCS licenses over. Also you get 25 bonus licenses when migrating so you can get started with monitoring your switches.

Basically no huge changes yet but WCS is dying, bail out while you can.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Burning_Monk posted:

Is there a Cisco or Juniper AP that does smart trade-offs without a central controller?

Just about any Cisco Aironet does WDS:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Partycat posted:

Uh, ideally your session should roam because it's the same network, but, whatever.

Anyways the big deal for me at the moment is Cisco lightweight, and Android devices, running 802.1x, EAP-PEAP, and WPA2 Enterprise.

I had a Motorola i1, Android 1.5 worked like a charm. Upgrade to a device running ICS, drat thing will not roam, will not stay connected, and if it sleeps, it will not reconnect promptly. Plenty of people having this problem with other Android devices.

I don't even know where to begin with it. I set up "Internet Calling" on my phone, and people have asked about the Cisco Jabber client or similar but there's no way to use it when you can't walk 50 feet without dropping WiFi.

I use WPA2 at home and have no issues with it, I believe it is 802.1x related but I've not found any useful info so far :/

Cant say I have experienced the same myself - what code are you running on the controller?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Mierdaan posted:

Our Cisco 1131AG APs are like $400 w/ smartnet.

Keep in mind that is technology from 2006...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

KillHour posted:

It's kind of funny that they bought Trapeze and didn't do anything with it.

Polishing a turd still makes it a turd :)

• Locked thread