Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I put 3 Unifi APs in some new office space we got. It's not a very large area, but the space is U shaped with concrete walls (old building). The setup was a piece of cake, but you can't use special characters in the wireless keys. I noticed some problems when you walk around the office, it doesn't seem to handle roaming from one AP to another very well. I don't know how much of this is a cheap laptop problem, versus an actual problem with the APs. There should be 20 or so people connecting to each access point with company laptops this week. I won't be surprised if half those people connect their phones as well, so that number could be a bit higher. I believe we will have twice that number in another week or two, so that will be a bit of a stress test.

So far, for a little over $200 worth of APs I'd say things are going well. I'm only running a single SSID, and no captive portal or anything. If I get frantic phone calls about citrix not working this week, things have not gone well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

That's what I was worried about. Oh well. For the cost, it should work for our needs. In the long run we'll probably end up trying the solution from Fortinet, since that's what our other edge equipment is.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

Jumping on the Unifi bandwagon here. I had a couple standard APs at a branch location for a few months a year ago, and they worked very well. When that location closed, I brought them back to our corporate office. I replaced a pair of Apple TimeCapsules that were used as wireless APs (with one bridged to the other). Now I have 4 unifi APs, each broadcasting our 3 SSIDs. We have a Corp, Guest and one for a bunch of training laptops. I've seen over 120 devices active at a time, and we've never had a problem. I had wanted to use their built in guest network feature for a captive portal, but I ended up just running it all through our router and handling the VLANs there. I've had probably 50 devices connected to a single AP before and haven't seen any problems.

I do wish that I could block devices from connecting to a particular wireless lan, but not the whole system. The V3 stuff with no drop roaming looks pretty cool too. I don't think people have any problems with that, but it will make me happy to see it work a bit more smoothly. For less than $400 in hardware, we are very pleased with it.

• Locked thread