Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We have a client who want public (internet only) and private (internal company) wireless. They have an ADSL connection and would like their site to be covered. I assume the solution to this involves VLANs but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this with wireless units.

code:
Router----------WirelessUnit
		publicAP
		privateAP	
And then presumably bridge / repeat the accesspoints as needed throughout the site.

I guess we need:
1) A router with the ability to have multiple VLANs that can separate the internal network from an internet-only. Also it needs to be able to issue its own DHCP on the internet only VLAN because we don't want it talking with the DHCP server on the company network.
2) Some wireless units that can bridge multiple SSIDs. I've seen this on cheap TP-Link routers so I know it's possible

I hope this isn't too unenterprisey for the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

KillHour posted:

You've pretty much got it. Any business class router should be able to handle multiple VLANs, no problem. Just make sure your WAPs support multiple BSSIDs, and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend using wireless repeaters in a business environment, though. Every repeater you add cuts your wireless speed in half and adds a ton of latency. Past 2-3 repeaters, it becomes pretty much unusable.

Edit: If you need product recommendations, the following is helpful:

WAN speed
# of users on each SSID
Rough idea of how much area you need to cover with wireless
2.4GHz, 5GHz or both?
Budget
Do you need UTM stuff? (Content filtering, gateway AV, etc.)
Do you need VPN capabilities on the router?

1) So the DHCP server on the router can be configured on varying VLANS?
2) The nuumber of users would be between 10 and 15 MAX and about 4/5 average
3) The area isn't too important, I doubt there'll be a need for more than 1 or 2 repeaters, and even then the speed isn't vital since most users will be guests.
4) Both 2.4 and 5 would be ideal
5) No to UTM
6) Yes to VPN, but we already have an ADSL modem/router for that. Can't we simply make that router act as the gateway for this wireless router?

• Locked thread