Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Partycat posted:

How do I survey, basically? Cisco WCS doesn't do a good job in predicting coverage 'IRL' it seems.

Ehakau Heatmapper is what I've used in the past. It sounds like you need to step up from the free solutions to something like Ehakau Site Survey or Visiwave Survey, maybe in combination with Wi-Spy spectrum analyzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Are you guys running Ubiquiti UniFi stuff also using the software controller? I'm having a hell of a time getting it to run as a service and I'm pretty sure it's Java's fault. 2008 R2 VM, tried following the instructions and video, installed both 32- and 64-bit Java. Service appears to start but can't reach the management website.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

stevewm posted:

Sure something else is not using one of the ports the controller needs?

Take a look at the server.log file to see why it may not be working: http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#I_saw_.22Start-up_failed.22_or_.22Server_taking_too_long_to_start.22._What_happened.3F

Nothing is binding to those ports. It runs fine when launched from a logged in user as an application. There wasn't anything in the log file showing any kind of problem.

ThinkFear posted:

Yeah, though I'm using an appliance. Don't know if that's an option for you.

This is perfect since I'm already running a VMware environment. I'll find out if it works tomorrow since the download is going to take a few hours. Ubiquiti should offer an official appliance like this.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It looks like there's an OpenBSD port so that's even better for me.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

My experience as well. I've put probably a solid man-week in to trying to get UniFi's controller to run reliably on Windows, but Java being a piece of poo poo plus Ubiquiti doing a few things weird just makes that not worth the trouble.

Anything worth using these days has virtualization support, so as far as I'm concerned the correct answer for UniFi on Windows is to virtualize a minimal instance of your favorite Linux or BSD and go from there. Making a VM start on boot is a lot easier than putting up with UniFi's poo poo. I usually roll a business card install of Debian, add Ubiquiti's repo, and install.

I didn't waste quite that much time on it, but yeah. This install with a simple OpenBSD VM is working great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
What's a good Ubiquiti product for a wireless bridge between two buildings about 100 feet apart? Line of sight is clear and 100 megabit is enough bandwidth. I'm open to any other brands that are similarly priced and available fairly quickly.

• Locked thread