Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Require each booth providing it's own access point be enclosed within a Faraday cage. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I think I'm one of the only people that has had bad luck with the UniFi devices.

After some period of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, every Android device in the building is suddenly no longer able to connect to the AP. They'll get caught in a loop where they constantly disconnect and reconnect after trying to obtain a DHCP lease. Sometimes iOS devices act the same way, and we've been only seen a Windows device suffer the same problem once.

RMA'd the unit, the replacement does the same thing. Tried the 3.1.1 beta firmware, no luck. Their support guys have no idea what's going on, and we can't reproduce the problem on demand.

What are the sane alternatives? We only need one AP, as long as it can cover the same range as the UniFi LR. We don't need anything remotely fancy, just WPA2 and the ability to assign a tagged VLAN to an SSID.

I still want to get my hands on the EdgeRouter Lite...

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 21, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

InstantInfidel posted:

That sounds suspiciously like something else in your network could be the issue. What routers/switches/modem are you using?

stevewm posted:

I vote something on your network is definitely suspicious.

Na, it wasn't. We picked up another AP from another vendor, and it demonstrated the same behavior. The exact same behavior. Yet a simple consumer device running DD-WRT had no problems at all.

So we now had three different APs to work with (the UniFi, the "replacement" and a cheap consumer unit running DD-WRT), so we proceeded to go through every single possible thing that could cause problems, and couldn't cause problems.

At first we thought it was something wrong with the Atheros SoC in both the UniFi and the other unit, but that didn't end up being it.

Both the UniFi and the other new unit do automatic "best" channel detection. When we forced the units to sit only on one channel, the incorrect Android behavior disappeared. It's been stable for a few days now, with only one device causing any sort of trouble... and, well, it's running a very not-stock Android version, so we're just blaming it on the phone vendor.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 16, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Cavepimp posted:

No reason other than that's what I'm familiar with and I haven't looked at the newer ones. We switched to Juniper for most of our stuff a while back.

Sorry for going wired instead of wireless here, but how hard was the jump to Juniper from HP? We're planning to replace our HP 2810s and 2650s and while we've had great experiences with them, we're also eyeing Juniper's stuff...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Caged posted:

Speaking of switches, who wants to be the first to see how Ubiquiti do them?

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/

:q:

If it's anything like their other products, half the features on the spec sheet haven't been implemented yet, and you can't actually buy them.

The 48-port ones with the 10GbE uplinks are now on my short list for my edges to complement those sweet Junipers recommended above.

Once pricing is out. Oh, and the devices. And warranty information.

I really really really want to love Ubiquiti...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The innards of the UniFi devices are just Linux on MIPS and an Atheros chipset doing the wifi. It wouldn't surprise me that you can create similar hardware very cheaply.

All of their magic is in the marketing software anyway.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread