Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«243 »
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Re:MES - Those of you with issues on the panel, do you have it covered from rain and/or do you use a cover for it?

Hell no. All panel issues I've had were from doing everything the owners manual says not to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

That's good to know. I try to keep good care of stuff as much as I can, so I've always covered my grill and the first thing I bought with my MES was a cover for it. Got blown away, so I bought another and secured it with a bungee cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-...r/dp/B002VZZ1W4

I've actually been thinking about getting the legs for it to, that way it's not sitting somewhere that water could be pooling under it.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-...n/dp/B00Q1VJG52

I was grilling on my father in laws grill about a year ago. It was super dark and he didn't have any lights so it took me a moment to realize that the entire bottom of the grill had rusted out. Essentially, all it had was the heating elements. It was bad, to the point where tall grass was growing up into the grill. I was wondering why I was having a hard time getting things up to temp....

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

Don't get me wrong. I treat my stuff with respect... But the masterbuilt can take a beating. If it was a big chief or a Webber, I'd be much more careful. But the masterbuilt is stainless all around, and what isn't stainless is thick plastic. It'll survive. But I do need a new sticker to cover the buttons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'm more of a tech guy so I tend to baby my mechanical things, probably overly so, because I am less able to fix them.

It is a great testament to how durable the MES are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

jonathan posted:

Hell no. All panel issues I've had were from doing everything the owners manual says not to do.

Explains my marriage.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

jonathan posted:

Don't get me wrong. I treat my stuff with respect... But the masterbuilt can take a beating. If it was a big chief or a Webber, I'd be much more careful. But the masterbuilt is stainless all around, and what isn't stainless is thick plastic. It'll survive. But I do need a new sticker to cover the buttons.

Uh, every Weber model I've owned has endured the ages like it's meant to survive humanity. The first time I've had issues with one was with the ash removal spinner thing on the one my dad gave me from 1996, so it lasted for pretty much 18 years before showing the first signs of deterioration.

I know they're comically overpriced, but not lasting long isn't a complaint I've ever heard about Weber models

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I literally set my weber on fire and it was fine. Only thing that burned off was the wheels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

In case of natural disaster I move my valuables into my Genesis Silver and push it to the end of the driveway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

I'll douse my MES in gasoline, set it on fire, hook a chain on it and tow it around the block while it is in flames. And somehow it will still make a great brisket. (That is if the 2000' of extension cord doesn't run out.)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/xhkDqVS.jpg

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

My cheap offset smoker survived Harvey (it was tucked in a corner and there wasn't much rain in my area).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My cheap offset smoker survived Harvey (it was tucked in a corner and there wasn't much rain in my area).

Just why didn't you smoke something in a hurricane?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just why didn't you smoke something in a hurricane?

I made kolaches or empanadas instead since I couldn't keep a fire going with the wind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made kolaches or empanadas instead since I couldn't keep a fire going with the wind.

You are a drat good person.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

My friend's 22" WSM (minus the plastic handles) survived the Santa Rosa fire, which completely burned his house down around it. It was literally the tallest thing left standing on his lot. You don't have to baby it.

Weber sent him replacement handles for free.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I am smoking a prime rib for my dad's bday this weekend. My only concern is how I will transport it to his house an hour away without it cooling too much. Thinking I may do the majority cooking on the smoker and reverse sear in the oven when I get there to finish. Thoughts?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

If you like pineapple slices on pizza, I hope you like pineapple slices on your children's graves because you're weak, your bloodline is weak and you will not survive the winter.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am smoking a prime rib for my dad's bday this weekend. My only concern is how I will transport it to his house an hour away without it cooling too much. Thinking I may do the majority cooking on the smoker and reverse sear in the oven when I get there to finish. Thoughts?

Wrap it with foil and towels, put it in a cooler. Will stay nice and toasty that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

The oven reverse sear will work OK for the outer bits, but if it has any effect on the center of the meat then congrats you've overcooked it after all your hard work.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

What about a Iron skillet at max temp out on his gas grill or something? Just 30 seconds a side would finish the prime rib off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Keyser_Soze posted:

What about a Iron skillet at max temp out on his gas grill or something? Just 30 seconds a side would finish the prime rib off.

Sure, but it won't solve the "roast generally cooled" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

How big is it?

«243 »