Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«247 »
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

This Red Text Is Brought To You By The Fact That Paul Stastny Had To Go To FUCKING WINNIPEG To Get A Shot At A Stanley Cup.

P.S. Missouri is full of nothing but meth and so am I.

Fun Shoe

Wrap a tenderloin in bacon and smoke it at 250-275, until its 150 or so, and it is amazing. You can stuff it with just about anything you can imagine also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sorry, it was indeed loin, not tenderloin.

You can make your own Canadian Bacon, which comes out a whole lot better than store bought stuff.

Jan
Feb 26, 2008

I have a prime rib roast drying in the fridge. Is it worth smoking prime rib, or should I just roast it as normal?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jan posted:

I have a prime rib roast drying in the fridge. Is it worth smoking prime rib, or should I just roast it as normal?
When a rib roast takes on too much smoke, it develops flavors that, IMO, mask the best flavors of the beef, but a little bit of smoke gives it an awesome boost, especially if you obliterate the outside with salt. I'll usually give it 2 hours of smoke and finish in the oven.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

a little Friends-giving action going this afternoon, so this guy just went on the PBC

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Jan posted:

How do they want their beef done?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it even possible to smoke a chicken or turkey without the whole thing turning black on the outside and looking burned?

Of course, of the dozens of chickens and turkeys I've smoked over the years not one has looked burnt. They're all a beautiful deep reddish-brown. The only time I get some blackening is when I throw a chicken breast-side down directly over the coals to really supercrisp that skin.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

here's that turkey after ~4 hours on the PBC.

this is how most poultry I've grilled/smoked/PBC'ed comes out- decidedly not burnt looking

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

Hair Elf

I suspect mine ended up pretty burny looking thanks to too much sugar in the rub, but I'd have to do more for science to really see.

Jan
Feb 26, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

When a rib roast takes on too much smoke, it develops flavors that, IMO, mask the best flavors of the beef, but a little bit of smoke gives it an awesome boost, especially if you obliterate the outside with salt. I'll usually give it 2 hours of smoke and finish in the oven.

Yeah, that's a good point. We ended up smoking for 1 hour and finishing in the oven at 225. With a black pepper and rosemary rub, the bark was amazing, slightly reminiscent of corned beef...

It was good, but you're right, the prime rib itself stands out on its own and probably doesn't gain as much from smoking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks like Home Depot might be not carrying my go-to Royal Oak Lump Charcoal anymore.

What's another recommendation for a BGE-style smoker/cooker? I'm in SoCal which isn't exactly prime BBQ country so bonus points if it's available nationwide.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you’re a costco member the Vision grills are basically a BGE with all the major accessories for half the cost. Other warehouse clubs may have similar Kamado style things.

Restaurant Depot has Royal Oak all the time in my areas and has the best price outside of HD Lowe’s holiday weekend sales.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry I meant charcoal for that type of cooker — ie no briquettes. I have my bge.

Good idea about Restaurant Depot but don’t you need to be a reseller to get a membership?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

The internet is the universal sewer.

made a sammich

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sellouts posted:

Sorry I meant charcoal for that type of cooker — ie no briquettes. I have my bge.

Good idea about Restaurant Depot but don’t you need to be a reseller to get a membership?
Many national Restaurant Depot locations honor the Kansas City Barbecue Society membership and will offer their own membership to KCBS members.

Are you living someplace that doesn't have many other hardware stores? Every local mom-and-pop I check around Long Island has a ton of charcoal options, always including lump, and most of them also carry a few varieties of smoke woods. If your options are really limited to just big-box (I lived in Watertown, NY once where this was definitely the case), the Frontier stuff that BJ's sells isn't awful.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

here's that turkey after ~4 hours on the PBC.

this is how most poultry I've grilled/smoked/PBC'ed comes out- decidedly not burnt looking

The PBC is so good with birds. I actually modded mine specifically for Turkeys. I put another grate in about a foot higher than the coals so that the turkey juices could drip into a pan and I could use it for gravy.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I tried that once and the drippings were much too smokey for me.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

So I'm trying to make some smoked salt and smoked peppercorns as gifts and after 6 hours on the smoker neither are taking on much flavor or aroma. I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain and apple wood. Both are in chafing pans and I stirred about every hour for six hours. I'm thinking of trying it again but with some moisture in the pans. Any other suggestions or tips?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

lifts cats over head posted:

So I'm trying to make some smoked salt and smoked peppercorns as gifts and after 6 hours on the smoker neither are taking on much flavor or aroma. I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain and apple wood. Both are in chafing pans and I stirred about every hour for six hours. I'm thinking of trying it again but with some moisture in the pans. Any other suggestions or tips?

When I did my smoked sea salt a couple years ago I just put shallow pans with salt in with my other things I was smoking but it seemed like I had to put the same salt in during multiple smokes to get a good color and smokey taste. I think most of the lighter smoke flavors like Apple were in for close to 12+ hours total. Sriracha with Hickory smoke was good and probably took the least amount of time for both color and taste of smoke.

Edit: I was using a MES without a AMAZEN at the time tho so it might be quicker now that I have the AMAZEN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

If you don't figure this out, you can just make some taco bell salt.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/make...kets-1828393224

«247 »