Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Crutched at the four hour mark.

Edit: Forgot to post lunch. Lovely pork steak.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got delayed buying groceries and doing a bunch of other poo poo yesterday, and my pork butt ended up going in the smoker a few hours later than I planned. It’s been cooking at 225° for 13 hours and it’s about 165° now.

This would be fine if I didn’t have other food to smoke. Looks like I might have to squeeze a couple of things in with the pork to save some time. The pork has already taken as much smoke as it can and the temp is low, so it should be fine.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
https://i.imgur.com/yPnlfdu.mp4

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 25, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Made some "burnt ends" outta chuck.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally took my pork butt off at 7:30 PM. loving thing took 17.5 hours. I don’t know what the final temp was because my Egg Genius took a poo poo about 15 minutes before I pulled it, and I forgot to check it with my instant-read, but the last temp the Genius recorded before going offline was 196°.

I also forgot to foil it.

Whatever, it looks and tastes incredible. The meat was falling apart on its own when I first set it down on the counter. Pics will follow in a bit unless I forget to post them again.

:hai:

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

NomNomNom posted:

Other than square inches what limitations are you running into? I have a Weber kettle with a slow n sear and I've turned out some amazing bbq for way less money than some other setups. I'm considering adding a billows to make it fool proof.

Mostly space. Ribs are awkward even with a rack. Larger briskets and butt have to sit closer to fire then I would prefer. Those same cooks still turn out great so I probably don't need it.

An insulated cooker would help extend the bbq season into the colder Chicago months. I have to add a lot more fuel when the temperature drops.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brisket cranking. Haven't done one in ages and I did sort of a hack job on separating the point/flat. :v:

Tossed in some eggs. I'll see how those turn out.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Any charcoal people prefer? I got some Jealous Devil Briquettes and I'm not sure I like how variable every piece is. Theres a lot of charcoal on sale, should I switch to lump? I feel like the consistency would make it easier to guage how much to put in. I have a WSM 14.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

5436 posted:

Any charcoal people prefer? I got some Jealous Devil Briquettes and I'm not sure I like how variable every piece is. Theres a lot of charcoal on sale, should I switch to lump? I feel like the consistency would make it easier to guage how much to put in. I have a WSM 14.

Fogo
https://www.fogocharcoal.com/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ribs turned out real good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I had a bit of a challenge removing the silverskin from the top of my beef ribs over the weekend. Before I go into the knife thread and ask there, does anyone have a knife they recommend that's good for that job? My sharp knives are too big, and my smaller knives are either wrong or lovely.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

TITANKISSER69 posted:

I had a bit of a challenge removing the silverskin from the top of my beef ribs over the weekend. Before I go into the knife thread and ask there, does anyone have a knife they recommend that's good for that job? My sharp knives are too big, and my smaller knives are either wrong or lovely.

I use the handle side of a butter knife, spoon, or fork to pry under the silver skin at the base of a bone. Get a good amount pried and use it to pull the rest up. I try to get it up in one big piece.

5436 posted:

For the WSM I just use Kingsford blue bag or Weber briquettes when they’re on sale.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

5436 posted:

Lump is less consistent than briquette.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bob A Feet posted:

I use the handle side of a butter knife, spoon, or fork to pry under the silver skin at the base of a bone. Get a good amount pried and use it to pull the rest up. I try to get it up in one big piece.

Use a paper towel to grip the silverskin while you pull it off in one piece, it makes it so, so much easier.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lawnie posted:

Use a paper towel to grip the silverskin while you pull it off in one piece, it makes it so, so much easier.

I've read about doing that for the membrane on pork ribs, does it work as well on the opposite side of beef ribs?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone have recs for bbq grill scraper/cleaner? ive seemingly bought a dozen wire brush models over the years and they're never particularly great, plus you get to worry about the wire pieces making it into your food

i tried one of the pumice "grill stone" cleaners from home depot but for 5ish bucks it probably only lasted 3, maybe 4 grill cleanings. not great.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When my coals are fresh I just close the grill and let that puppy roast at 700+. If you're talking about a smoker, they're a chore to clean, so I just try and treat them like cast iron. Keep them well seasoned but not sticky.

I've never had a concern with getting wires in food. They should be nowhere near each other. The top rated grill brushes look a lot better than the wide toothbrush looking ones that I use, though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 28, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have a bge but i definitely get stuff stuck on the grate and need to scrape it with every use.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a32733/wire-grill-brush-dangers/

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/wire-grill-brush-danger/

nobody is using the brush while they are cooking, the issue is that wire bristles come loose, stick to the grill and can get into your food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao okay looking at reviews for wood grill scrapers and found this review, definitely getting one now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1T3VT9G85NM5C/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He punished his sub with his Grill Dog Cedar Hog

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Smoking a couple of spatchcocked chickens today. I want to do a higher heat and try to get a better skin. I’m using my WSM 22.5 and thought I’d use lump (Jealous Devil) instead of my usual briquettes. Is this a good idea? Maybe 4-5 pounds of lump? Ambient temp is in the 70s.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butt last weekend was a great success. Tonight I'll be starting 4 butts and distributing 3 of them to family members in town who were very jealous of the pics from last weekend.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Smoking a couple of spatchcocked chickens today. I want to do a higher heat and try to get a better skin. I’m using my WSM 22.5 and thought I’d use lump (Jealous Devil) instead of my usual briquettes. Is this a good idea? Maybe 4-5 pounds of lump? Ambient temp is in the 70s.

I never measure my lump. Usually have tons of leftover and just close up the vents and use it next cook. Thing is, nobody knows how efficient your smoker/grill is to advise how much lump to use.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2020

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Hasselblad posted:

I never measure my lump. Usually have tons of leftover and just close up the vents and use it next cook. Thing is, nobody knows how efficient your smoker/grill is to advise how much lump to use.

That makes sense. I think I’m going to just do briquettes and see how hot those will get for me. I’ll try lump when I’m not on any kind of schedule.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Well that worked great. I used 2 chimneys of briquettes and it was more than enough. I had no problem keeping the WSM in the 350-375 range. I did 30 min skin side down then flipped them. 75 minutes total and the skin was great. A big hit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Easychair Bootson posted:

Well that worked great. I used 2 chimneys of briquettes and it was more than enough. I had no problem keeping the WSM in the 350-375 range. I did 30 min skin side down then flipped them. 75 minutes total and the skin was great. A big hit.

Was 375 the hottest you could get them, or did you adjust the smoker to stay in that range?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Based on the volume of charcoal it can hold and the 3 kettle-style air inlets, I bet you could shoot for the moon, assuming you left the top off.

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
I'm really happy with my Signals + Billows combo on my Weber Smokey Mountain. Took me a little bit to figure out exactly how to set it up with the vents and everything, but it'll hold this thing at rock-steady temperatures as long as it has enough fuel.

Yesterday I did some baby back ribs and it kept it at 225 F with almost no fluctuation the whole cook. Haven't experience any reliability or connectivity issues.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Hasselblad posted:

Was 375 the hottest you could get them, or did you adjust the smoker to stay in that range?

At the beginning I had to close vents to keep it under 415. I think i would have no problem holding it around 400 for 90 minutes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Did back ribs for the first time! Slightly too much sugar in the rub, but the bark was really great. Otherwise it's mainly pepper and coriander, with some garlic powder and mustard powder added in.

And then the best part was using the leftover ribs to make tacos!

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I managed to get a brisket flat recently despite the crazy prices. Here it is before the smoker addition. Smoking it with oak wood which isn't common around these parts. , I'm in hickory & pecan country.

Hope you guys are able to find decently priced meat. Prices are whackadoo right now.

Edit: Finished product. Not much of a smoke ring, but it tastes perfect. Vac sealed a bunch away to munch on over time.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 5, 2020

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Having a real hard time getting good bark/ambient temp on my parents fancy gas grill on two racks of ribs. Crazy temp fluctuations and I'm suspecting that I put the air probe in a hot spot and that the air has been way under temp for the last three hours. Fucks sake. This thing is good for grilling, but I can't get it to hold a low air temperature worth poo poo.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Was going to swear of B&B lump because my first bag I ever used was ALL tiny chips, rocks and dust. I never got around to using my second bag until today....it is all log sized chunks with zero dust??

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Some of the mesquite has tiny pieces in the bags but usually they have good sized chunks.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Smokers dilemma:

A-wake up early and start smoking a 9lb (prob 7.5 once trimmed) pork butt and quite possibly not eat it until 9pm

B-overnight smoke through the outer bands of the tropical storm hitting the gulf. Under the eaves of my garage but plenty windy.

C-be a smart adult and save it for another time.

Should’ve bought ribs damnit!!!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

D: smoke it for two hours then overnight in the oven.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doing the 3-2-1 method for some ribs.

When you reach the 1 and paint the barbecue sauce on them, do you leave the foil on the bottom or completely remove it?

Edit: took the foil out.

How are you supposed to get them off the foil without them falling apart? One fell off and I was careful with the rest

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 7, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I completely remove.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got some pata negra pork rack, cut it into chops. Check out the marbling:

Well that was loving delicious. I appreciate not exactly slow or smoking but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

knox_harrington posted:

I got some pata negra pork rack, cut it into chops. Check out the marbling:

Well that was loving delicious. I appreciate not exactly slow or smoking but whatever.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing