Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Wow 17 hours and you’re still at 175? How many pounds is the butt?

8.5ish, baby got back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Bob A Feet posted:

Stall into the fridge is a bold move.

I wouldn’t got direct to fridge, don’t want to wreck everything, going to let it cool some on the counter. I’d throw the foil in a garbage bag and then into a cooler full of ice, but my fridge makes a pitiful amount of ice.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Before you go crazy, my last butt stalled at 188 so I checked doneness and it gave zero resistance to the Thermapen. It's the lowest I've pulled a butt, but done is done.

It was fantastic too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ControlledBurn posted:

I wouldn’t got direct to fridge, don’t want to wreck everything, going to let it cool some on the counter. I’d throw the foil in a garbage bag and then into a cooler full of ice, but my fridge makes a pitiful amount of ice.

This is the most SA sentence I’ve ever read. God speed good goon sir enjoy your pork slices

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I always start my big chunks if meat the night before. I'll put a pork butt or a brisket on at like 10pm the night before if I want to do it for dinner.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Internet Explorer posted:

I always start my big chunks if meat the night before. I'll put a pork butt or a brisket on at like 10pm the night before if I want to do it for dinner.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm planning to do from now on. I've started my cooks earlier and earlier, and they're just not getting done consistently. I'll just have to plan to start dinners the night before, and if it ends up being lunch, or held in a cambro, that's what I'll have to do.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It’s 6AM and my pork butt just finished. I leave for work at 8. Just enough time to rest and destroy some pulled pork before I leave!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

Anyone use a HeaterMeter these days? I ordered the kit as an excuse to 3d print something, so I've got lots of soldering in my future. Definitely looks leaps and bounds ahead of the Linksys router hanging off of CapnBry's smoker on the first page of this thread.
I do! I actually use a prototype 4.2 (even though 4.3 has been out for like 3 years now) in a misprint case. I had my wisdom teeth removed and gum graft surgery last week though so I am just staring wistfully at the photos in this thread imagining what I might smoke first once I can chew food again. arisu's beef ribs looks flippin' amazing.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Fans are required for the complete experience with any of these gizmos.
Fans are great for startup time but the servo-controlled damper is where it is at these days. Once the smoker is going the fan rarely ever turns on which means I'm getting just natural smokin' without the fan blowing extra air in and lowering the smoke density. I also can open the top vent more and not worry about air naturally being drafted through the fan when it is off, and no stale smoke getting trapped because the top vent is so closed off.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Has anyone been to Snows? Just watching the chefs table BBQ now. Looks amazing.
Any idea on the recipes? It’s way to expensive to ship their sauces to the uk haha

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bob A Feet posted:

Stall into the fridge is a bold move.

Lol same

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've held pork butts wrapped in towels in a cooler for 8 hours before, they were still at 150f when I unwrapped them. Can't say for sure it was the extra resting that did it, but those were probably the best butts I've ever smoked.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Lol. Whomever writes those must get a kick out of it. I think Twister lists "Dangerous winds" or something similar.

My wife has been binging English Baking Show, and the warning at the beginning is always simply "gore".

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone do a chuck until its pulled beef?

Yes, but at 150F I transfer to a roasting pan with some beef broth and foil tightly until done.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 13, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hasselblad posted:

My wife has been binging English Baking Show, and the warning at the beginning is always simply "gore".

E1M1 plays as Mary Berry picks up her piping bag

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bluedeanie posted:

E1M1 plays as Mary Berry picks up her piping bag

She added a bit of class to the show. Pity the producers went the manufactured drama reality TV path, causing her to get fed up and leave.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

I do! I actually use a prototype 4.2 (even though 4.3 has been out for like 3 years now) in a misprint case. I had my wisdom teeth removed and gum graft surgery last week though so I am just staring wistfully at the photos in this thread imagining what I might smoke first once I can chew food again. arisu's beef ribs looks flippin' amazing.

Fans are great for startup time but the servo-controlled damper is where it is at these days. Once the smoker is going the fan rarely ever turns on which means I'm getting just natural smokin' without the fan blowing extra air in and lowering the smoke density. I also can open the top vent more and not worry about air naturally being drafted through the fan when it is off, and no stale smoke getting trapped because the top vent is so closed off.

:) hey CapnBry! I love my HeaterMeter 4.2 and RD3 damper/fan. Thanks for the project.
I’m curious what you’re doing to adapt your damper to the BGE, I have a series of brazed pipe and a reused BBQ Guru bracket, and still it isn’t very airtight so I often use duct tape when it gets cold and the smokes get long.

The setup is great and I like that my blower control cable is just the right color Ethernet that it matches my BGE.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CapnBry posted:

I love the damper idea. I wonder if I can hack one into my Guru.

Or even better, a damper/fan combo!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

:) hey CapnBry! I love my HeaterMeter 4.2 and RD3 damper/fan. Thanks for the project.
I’m curious what you’re doing to adapt your damper to the BGE
Thanks! Glad you like it. I just cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal from the big box hardware store with some tin snips into a rectangle that's 80mm x ~50mm and then cut a hole in the middle big enough to fit a 1" NPT pipe nipple (plumbing section) through it. I used a conduit lock ring / nut (electrical conduit section) on each side of the sheet metal to hold the nipple on, then just screw the RotoDamper's threaded connector on the nipple (JB Weld epoxy works too). It's like $3 for the nipple and nuts, but then you need to but like a $10 piece of sheet metal to cut a tiny square from it. Anything thin enough that fits in the vent slot will work-- I used cardboard for like 3 years. I also put a little piece of leftover BGE gasket material on one end, but it seals just as good without it because the vent door closes over it.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I love the damper idea. I wonder if I can hack one into my Guru.
Or even better, a damper/fan combo!
There are a few designs on Thingiverse. The one in the photo is based on the MicroDamper. There's also the Adapt-A-Damper, the RotoDamper (need to email the creator to get the STLs), and the Offset Rotary Valve. I bet there are even more custom ones that work with other projects, but these are the top HeaterMeter designs. Anything with standard hobby servo works, and our fan output is just analog voltage 5V-12V.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
This is my first overnight cook with a BBQ Guru on my WSM 22.5, and it held temp within range +- 20 for 12 hours now. It was a windy cold night with some rain and my WSM is leaky as hell, so I consider this a success. It was grand not having to get up in the middle of the night to fiddle with the vents or refuel. I filled that coal basket up with almost a full bag of Weber charcoal, and topped it up off with another third of a bag of Kingston.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 14, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

There's at least one episode where someone slices their hand open and a bunch of blood is shown. I assume that's why the rating.

Although some of the more spectacular failures might count.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Canuckistan posted:

This is my first overnight cook with a BBQ Guru on my WSM 22.5, and it held temp within range +- 20 for 12 hours now. It was a windy cold night with some rain and my WSM is leaky as hell, so I consider this a success. It was grand not having to get up in the middle of the night to fiddle with the vents or refuel. I filled that coal basket up with almost a full bag of Weber charcoal, and topped it up off with another third of a bag of Kingston.

drat, that really is fantastic. I have had my eyes on a Campchef Woodwind for quite awhile now, especially after their semi-recent improvements on their new models, but stories like these keep turning me to just upgrading what I actually have in-hand. Which guru do you have?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The battery powered Party-Guru. I think it's discontinued now, but I put four new AA batteries in and it ran no problem for the 16 hour cook. I needed to put in a dozen or so briquettes to get me past hour 15. I also ran with no water in the pan, because 6 butts is enough of a heat sink as it is.

Where do you guys put your controller probes? I had mine clipped to the middle bottom of the top rack, and it was consistently reading 30 degrees cooler than at the built in thermometer. I know that's at the top of the dome so it's obviously going to be the hotter, but where's the best place?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I wish I could do overnight cooks, but with my cheap rear end smoker I’m out there every twenty minutes messing with the vents.

Next spring I’ll go hunting for a used WSM on Facebook Market or Craigslist.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I wish I could do overnight cooks, but with my cheap rear end smoker I’m out there every twenty minutes messing with the vents.

Have you considered a stoker of some kind?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hasselblad posted:

Heh, we've been binging it here as well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Hasselblad posted:

Have you considered a stoker of some kind?

I use a webber kettle with a slow n' sear and I get consistent heat that I can dial in for about 5-6 hours without fiddling. I have the vent openings down for 225, 250 and 275.

The biggest issue is that cheap charcoal (Kingsford) seems to leave a lot of ash which reduces airflow enough that temps drop. Using good charcoal with low ash and I am pretty sure I could stretch to 8+ hours without touching it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Murgos posted:

I use a webber kettle with a slow n' sear and I get consistent heat that I can dial in for about 5-6 hours without fiddling. I have the vent openings down for 225, 250 and 275.

The biggest issue is that cheap charcoal (Kingsford) seems to leave a lot of ash which reduces airflow enough that temps drop. Using good charcoal with low ash and I am pretty sure I could stretch to 8+ hours without touching it.

Maybe trying some different charcoal is the way to go for me and see what happens. I do use Kingsford. What do you recommend?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Maybe trying some different charcoal is the way to go for me and see what happens. I do use Kingsford. What do you recommend?

I had good results with Weber hardwood briquettes. I hear that Stubbs also has pretty low ash.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Murgos posted:

I had good results with Weber hardwood briquettes. I hear that Stubbs also has pretty low ash.

Where do you guys buy this stuff? I have had pretty poor luck locating non-Kingsford briquettes anywhere (Amazon included). At least, anywhere in stock and with a reasonable lead time. All the hardware stores have is either Kingsford briquettes, match-light, or a dozen different types of hardwood lump. And they sometimes have smoke-flavor briquettes, but obviously that's a non-starter.

But man, it's wild how much ash the Kingsford briquettes produce versus hardwood lump. Definitely took me by surprise when I did my first smoke.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
LowesDepot has Royal Oak but most consistently competitive around me is Restaurant Depot, which is open to the public right now (no membership required).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My local Ace Hardware seems to keep a pretty good selection in stock.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Where do you guys buy this stuff? I have had pretty poor luck locating non-Kingsford briquettes anywhere (Amazon included). At least, anywhere in stock and with a reasonable lead time. All the hardware stores have is either Kingsford briquettes, match-light, or a dozen different types of hardwood lump. And they sometimes have smoke-flavor briquettes, but obviously that's a non-starter.

But man, it's wild how much ash the Kingsford briquettes produce versus hardwood lump. Definitely took me by surprise when I did my first smoke.

My local Lowes and HomeDepot both carry Weber briquettes. There are lots of charcoal reviews online where they talk about residual ash so you could try alternates of what's around your area? Alternatively, HD and Lowes are pretty good about shippin3g to your local for free so you could put in an order for some?

It's $20 for 20 lbs, so two to four times the cost of Kingsford depending on if you buy on sale. Kingsford also has a few premium lines (Professional and Long Burn?) that might be worth checking out if your store carries it.

Someone did a comparison test:
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford-long-burning-weber-hardwood-charcoal-burn-test-2017/

Edit: The Weber coals in that test produced as much ash over the entire burn as the Kingsford blue bag BUT I think this supports what I was saying because per unit of time there is less ash. In the test all the coals were lit at once and the Kingsford burned through completely producing their total volume of ash in two hours while the Weber was still burning strong at that point.

With a low and slow cook where you light one corner I would expect that at a time when the Kingsford was mostly expended and was ashed up and blocking airflow the Weber charcoal would have produced significantly less ash as fewer coals would have been consumed. You would have a longer burn still reserved as well.

This matches my experience pretty closely but it does suggest that you might be able to do even better with an even less ashy super premium charcoal briquette.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 16, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
What a flippin' weird way to test. I took 100 of three different charcoals that come in two different sizes and measured which lasted longer. I compared them to 56 of another charcoal that is in a massively different size, but the weight of 56 isn't the weight of 100 of any of the others. They don't write on the bags the number of briquettes in the bag so why not, I dunno, test as close to the same weight? It would be a lot clearer if they didn't use 6.8% more Weber than any Kingsford when comparing the burn time where the extra mass should result in an 8.2 minute advantage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CapnBry posted:

What a flippin' weird way to test. I took 100 of three different charcoals that come in two different sizes and measured which lasted longer. I compared them to 56 of another charcoal that is in a massively different size, but the weight of 56 isn't the weight of 100 of any of the others. They don't write on the bags the number of briquettes in the bag so why not, I dunno, test as close to the same weight? It would be a lot clearer if they didn't use 6.8% more Weber than any Kingsford when comparing the burn time where the extra mass should result in an 8.2 minute advantage.

I thought it was odd that he didn't just go by weight but when I eyeballed it the mass of 56 Webers looked pretty close to 100 Kingsford blue bag so I didn't get too critical. 5.8% is healthy but looking at those images there appeared to be substantially more than that of the Weber coals left at the 2 hr mark.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 16, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I thought it was odd that he didn't just go by weight but when I eyeballed it the mass of 56 Webers looked pretty close to 100 Kingsford blue bag so I didn't get too critical. 6.8% is healthy but looking at those images there appeared to be substantially more than that of the Weber coals left at the 2 hr mark.
Yeah agreed. I don't think it changes the conclusion I took away from it because there were a lot of weber coals left, probably more than 8 minutes worth, but it would have been easier to compare if the weights were the same. I'm guessing they might burn longer because they have a lot less surface area, so the others may have burned hotter for shorter. The ash percentages are weight agnostic though so that's still pretty interesting that the kingsford professional had so little ash.

I kinda want to burn 2kg of the Publix Greenwise Lump I usually use just to measure the ash I get from that to compare.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

URGENT:

Impulse bought a 17lb packer.

What's the best way to cut it up for smaller servings of like ... Way less brisket

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Just do it all at once. Do that cow justice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They said the same thing about my Mom

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Fair enough 😁

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

TheReverend posted:

URGENT:

Impulse bought a 17lb packer.

What's the best way to cut it up for smaller servings of like ... Way less brisket

You're going to trim off 3 pounds of fat and it will lose a lot of weight cooking. It's a lot of meat but a lot less than it seems.

Now I want some brisket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Billows is 20% off but I'd have to modify my Weber kettle for it. Don't really want a project especially for a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Someone talk me into it :getin: