Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love love love my UltraQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Stringent posted:

I got a Fireboard and a fan for Christmas and it's pretty cool I gotta say.
I got this fan, and very important do not forget like I did the weber adapter.

I like that fan adapter a lot more than most I've seen, since it deflects down under the charcoal and looks kinda slick. Mix and matching might be the way to go.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"Yup, it looks like his head went so far up his own butt-hole that it exploded right back out his pee-hole and he died in a cataclysmic shower of his own blood and poop and pee."
- Too Much Mustard

C-Euro posted:

I've been told that this is the thread for cool people who grill and smoke stuff. I'm buying a house at the end of the month and will finally have outdoor space for some sort of grilling device. What's the best grill for someone who's new to the game? Just one of those classic black Weber grills? Let's say nothing over $200.

I'll always stan for the Weber kettle. Most versatile grill you can get for the money. The rain cover and lid hanger are nice to have, not need to have (the lid has a hook on it). And, having used it as a smoker for two years, it's not much more expensive than a Smokey Mountain. It just takes a lot more monitoring because temps can flare up pretty easily.

To stay within your budget, check Facebook marketplace and OfferUp in your area. You might get lucky and run into someone who essentially refurbishes grills (Although this is more common with gas grills in my experience).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Any tips on how not to overcook the thinner part of the brisket point? I got some hickory wood chips and was planning to go the more traditional route as far as rub, namely just salt and pepper and possibly sugar. I suppose this one I could sous vide before smoking to compare, as I know/am fairly sure the brisket point, being fattier, will take longer in the smoker anyway. But assuming I go the smoker route all the way, do I just get it to 195 and remove, then count on carryover? My principal mistake when I did the flat was to leave it in til 209F (I was away from the house for 3 hours and it went too long) which made the ends overcooked and tough. I threw the ends away, actually. I don't wanna make the same mistake with the point.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Uh well on a whole pig you control the temps to ensure everything finishes at the same time. Different areas get different amount of coals. 225 is close enough to the finish temperature on a brisket where it really shouldn't matter. If it's dry put it to the side and use it in a chili or just a snack while your cutting it all up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Any tips on how not to overcook the thinner part of the brisket point? I got some hickory wood chips and was planning to go the more traditional route as far as rub, namely just salt and pepper and possibly sugar. I suppose this one I could sous vide before smoking to compare, as I know/am fairly sure the brisket point, being fattier, will take longer in the smoker anyway. But assuming I go the smoker route all the way, do I just get it to 195 and remove, then count on carryover? My principal mistake when I did the flat was to leave it in til 209F (I was away from the house for 3 hours and it went too long) which made the ends overcooked and tough. I threw the ends away, actually. I don't wanna make the same mistake with the point.

This is why you make Burnt Ends.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'M JUST HERE TO KISS TITTIESS AND WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!
(AND GET EVERYBODY FIRED)

As mentioned, if you make the point into burnt ends you won't have that problem. This week I watched a few videos of how to trim (and how to separate) a brisket, and I learned that some people like to try to get their meat to a fairly close to uniform thickness by trimming off the thinner meat, which can then be ground into sausage or burgers if you like.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"Yup, it looks like his head went so far up his own butt-hole that it exploded right back out his pee-hole and he died in a cataclysmic shower of his own blood and poop and pee."
- Too Much Mustard

I didn't try it, but I had the idea of rolling up the thinner part as best as possible to get uniform thickness.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The point is fatty enough that you can easily take it to 210 and rest with carry over and be completely fine. Itís always gonna be juicy cause of the fat. That flat is generally what I worry about burning but Iíve never had them have crazy temp splits. At most I may have a few degree split but thatís to be expected over a cook.

Or you could sous vide it. Iím on mobile and donít see peopleís avatars... is it just one guy talking about sous vide a ton here or am I the only person not doing it? Ngl bro just smoke the drat thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Also makes great stew if it doesn't come out perfect.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Stringent posted:

I have this exact setup and really like it. No complaints at all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

Random Hero posted:

I have this exact setup and really like it. No complaints at all.

Thirded. Itís great.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Any of you have any recommended beef jerky recipes? Im tryin out a soy sauce/worchester sauce marinade that im gonna smoke tomorrow in my mes. I love the Loves/robertsons beef jerky. Im gonna look up copy recipes on that, but if you have any go to recipes, id love to see them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

ZombieCrew posted:

Any of you have any recommended beef jerky recipes? Im tryin out a soy sauce/worchester sauce marinade that im gonna smoke tomorrow in my mes. I love the Loves/robertsons beef jerky. Im gonna look up copy recipes on that, but if you have any go to recipes, id love to see them.

https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/
But make certain you reduce the dr pepper down a LOT before marinading.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

Here's mine that I've developed over the years. It's basically an umami bomb. The hot stuff at the end can bet replaced or eliminated. I like to sub on gochujang or sambal sometimes. I use London broil, cut with the grain. I would marinate overnight, probably minimum 8 hours. I've had enough people tell me this is their favorite jerky to feel good in recommending it. If you're missing one of the later ingredients it's probably not a big deal. But if you have them all by all means use them. You won't regret it.

2 pounds London broil, cut with the grain ⅛-ľ" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon fish sauce
Ĺ teaspoon maggi seasoning
⅛ teaspoon pink salt
Ĺ teaspoon msg
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I got this firepit for free (bottom of a water tank) and set up a little area, used it for a bonfire recently. But come summer I was wondering about using it for grilling with straight wood, and building myself a rotisserie and doing stuff like grilling chickens and meat on rotating spits.

The firepit is quite huge so for cooking I won't use the whole thing. I am thinking of doing it argentinian style and setting up a small fire to the side and feeding charcoal from the fire to some kind of cooking area that Išll fabricate. Something I can place inside the firepit, maybe hook to the edge.

EDIT:
The more I am thinking about this, I realize I might have to consider wind breaks. Though I moved the setup to a more secluded area now that will be in better cover later. Oh well experiment and see.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Stringent posted:

Ohhh, I didn't know you could just buy the Fireboard and use an old pitviper fan that I had from an old BBQ Guru (DigiQ). That's awesome!