Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Recommendations for a wifi/bluetooth temp probe with 2 or more probes?

Cooking 2 vastly different-sized turkeys yesterday on my Traeger convinced me I need one.

I have both the Weber igrill and a thermoworks smoke.

I can’t get the Bluetooth from the igrill to penetrate the walls of my house more than like standing by the door. Which does let me stay inside most of the time but at the cost of interrupting what I was doing to check the temps.

The smoke is somewhat better in that I mostly don’t need to be that close but still doesn’t give me whole house coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Recommendations for a wifi/bluetooth temp probe with 2 or more probes?

Cooking 2 vastly different-sized turkeys yesterday on my Traeger convinced me I need one.

Thermoworks has a sale going right now that's pretty solid - just picked up a Signals for 180.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kalman posted:

Thermoworks has a sale going right now that's pretty solid - just picked up a Signals for 180.

The new Thermapen ONE is 20% off too. $84 instead of $105.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kalman posted:

drat this is wild but $180, woof. I have the thermopen and it rocks, so I’m guessing this is also good.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Every time probe chat comes up:

I love my fireboard.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yo those turkey deals are no joke. I just bought two more.

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020
We're all very happy with how this one came out

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Going to a holiday get-together next weekend and supposed to bring an appetizer and was wanting to do something with the smoker. Anybody got any go-tos for this sort of thing? Difficulty level: no pork, gluten free

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smoked salmon all the way, was a good recipe within the last page or so.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Going to a holiday get-together next weekend and supposed to bring an appetizer and was wanting to do something with the smoker. Anybody got any go-tos for this sort of thing? Difficulty level: no pork, gluten free

Chicken wings?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Solkanar512 posted:

Doesn't maple in particular give a lot of coloring during smoking?

Anything with a lot of sugar tends to darken stuff, but it wouldn't affect a smoke ring.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

This is the best answer. Just do a simple seasoning and let them rock hot and fast. The kiss of smoke is beautiful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Smoked salmon all the way, was a good recipe within the last page or so.

Absolutely. Smoked salmon is always THE star at our family gatherings.

Bagel chips/toast points, cream cheese, a bottle of brined capers, fresh dill and finely diced shallots.

Alternatively, just toast points, smoked salmon and a sauce made from 50/50 mayo/buttermilk, chopped capers, dill, shallot, black pepper, pinch of salt.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Record breaking temps plus a huge sale at Costco means I'm smoking 20lb of pork loin today!

Trying out 4 different rubs. Smoking at 200 until internal temp hits 120, then cranking heat all the way up until it hits 140.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Enos Cabell posted:

Record breaking temps plus a huge sale at Costco means I'm smoking 20lb of pork loin today!

Trying out 4 different rubs. Smoking at 200 until internal temp hits 120, then cranking heat all the way up until it hits 140.

I haven't tried pork loin yet, so let me know how it goes!

Is your plan to freeze a bunch of it, then just reheat it for dinner whenever? If so, what is your plan for reheating? Sous vide?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yup, those were two huge loins that I broke down into 4 parts each. We'll eat one today and then I'll vac seal and freeze all the rest for sous vide reheating. I've never tried it either, but my little bro sent me this video and it looks extremely promising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSHJJiq5w4w

Up to 105 now after about 80 minutes

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Pre-heat smoker to 500
Cut top off pineapple
Use a pineapple cutter to cut the outside crap off and to slice it in half
Cut off bottom of the junk
Coat each side of the halves with a cinnamon and sugar mix
Put pineapple halves on smoker
Flip after 12 mins
After another 12 mins, pull off smoker
Give another light dusting of cinnamon and sugar mix
Slice each half
Drizzle honey over all slices

My kids loving destroy this

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question, but do they have to eat around the core or does it soften up and become edible?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A bit of cayenne on the grilled pineapple is also excellent.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did not suck.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After Salmonchat I'd be remiss in not posting. I had probably the best ever batch of this out of all the ones I've made in the past.

A big part of it being so good is I got a cut that was barely trimmed at all, so it had a really healthy amount of belly fat on there.
After brining

Smoked it at 180 until the fish hit 125 internally and it was just perfect. Ultra tender and juicy, and those belly pieces were like cotton candy in how they dissolved in my mouth. A+, would smoke fatty rear end fish again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Stupid question, but do they have to eat around the core or does it soften up and become edible?

A pineapple… *googles it* wedger? cores it for you. Mine is like that except instead of cutting it in quarters it does halves.

e:
This would work as well, minus the cutting it into small wedges until the end.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 4, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Had a colleague over for some smoked goodness and decided I'd break out my first attempt at pulled pork on my stealth-smoking setup.
Went with the smallest possible pork shoulder I could find at 1,2kg and marinated it over night.

Threw it in at 6am, got up to the stall at 65° inside 6 hours, threw on a rack of ribs for my guest for the next 6 hours, and still felt fairly comfortable about my plans.

Pretty pic with the lone rack of ribs

Just before foiling

One degree before grabbing it off the grill and letting it rest

Gochujang-based buffalo wing sauce on the left, BBQ-sauce on the right

Just after pulling. Turned out absolutely perfect.

Guest POV:

Decided to keep serving up the contents of my smoker to my one guest for clicks/content despite their inability to consume any more

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

So I picked up a 4.5 lbs standing rib roast for christmas dinner and was thinking of cooking it on the pellet grill. Normally I use the reverse sear method in my oven (learned it from Joshua Weisman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD1bZz_YNc). I got a couple questions though.

What's your guys experience with cooking times to get to an internal of 118°F? I'm thinking of setting the grill temp to 250°F but am wondering if it is going to skyrocket to temp super fast, or take longer than it would in a regular oven.

If I did a oil/garlic/rosemary rub before cooking, is that going to take the smoke well or do something funky? So far I've only salt and peppered my meat before smoking and haven't done an oil rub.

Anyone done a reverse sear in a pellet grill (get the temp to 450°F or higher and cook for 10-15 minutes to get the color on)? I have a slider plate over my burner to sear stuff on exposed flame, but I don't think that's practical for a full roast.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not pellet grill, but I smoked a prime rib on my mom's Weber kettle last year. Also seasoned with SPG and fresh rosemary and thyme. I want to say temps were around 250F but I don't exactly recall. Turned out amazing. Planning on doing the same thing this year.

e: Went and found my post from last Christmas:

Dango Bango posted:

My. God. This is the greatest thing I've ever smoked.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 22, 2021

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Dango Bango posted:

Not pellet grill, but I smoked a prime rib on my mom's Weber kettle last year. Also seasoned with SPG and fresh rosemary and thyme. I want to say temps were around 250F but I don't exactly recall. Turned out amazing. Planning on doing the same thing this year.

e: Went and found my post from last Christmas:

Yea, that looks fantastic.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

sinburger posted:

What's your guys experience with cooking times to get to an internal of 118°F? I'm thinking of setting the grill temp to 250°F but am wondering if it is going to skyrocket to temp super fast, or take longer than it would in a regular oven.

250f is 250f, doesn't matter where it is. That being said, the usual differences between a smoker and oven is that your oven's heating element is way way more powerful, and the box/structure of your oven is insulated better than the smoker (this is the biggie). Your oven's thermal mass is a lot higher than your smoker and is also insulated so all the radiant heat coming off the walls are forced into the food - in addition to the ambient heat. (This is why you preheat an oven for baking - gotta heat up the thermal mass).

Because you basically don't have the insulated thermal mass to get that extra radiant heat, it'll take a longer to cook than normal in a smoker. Some people load up their smokers with sand in the water trays to help increase the thermal mass.

So set your smoker higher than you'd think. Especially if it's a cold day and it's not insulated.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sinburger posted:

Yea, that looks fantastic.

I totally skipped out on your question about time :doh: I think mine a little over an hour to hit around 118F.

e: okay I was way off looking at the videos I referenced for the cook last year. Alton's suggests THREE hours at 250F for a three-bone roast to hit 118F.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 24, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Doing a smoke-vide brisket. Tossed some peppers and salt together smashed it into a bag, and puddling till tomorrow afternoon to finish smoked on the Keg.

Feeling lazy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People in this thread like to put competition levels of effort into cooks for friends and family. People are more than willing to convince themselves your food is better than everything if it's free. That's why my crowd pleaser are pork ribs. One of the easier and cheaper things to make.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guys help I'm smoking a prime rib for Christmas dinner but I keep eating the sauce I made to go on it

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Well, got my roast on. It's a balmy - 7C out here but the grill seems to be warming up nicely.

Figured I'd start it at noon and try to have it ready around 4, including rest time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MY CONVECTOR STONE BROKE IN HALF FUUUUUUUUUUCK :cry:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By some Christmas miracle, my prime rib smoke went pretty drat good despite the convector stone breaking. Also I have completely burned the poo poo out of my arm-hair and fingers and my heat-resistant barbecue gloves are almost melted.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

guys help I'm smoking a prime rib for Christmas dinner but I keep eating the sauce I made to go on it

What sauce did you make? I’m just going to smear mine (New Years) in bacon fat and salt before it goes on low and slow.

I saw a thing about after the roast has cooled but before you sear it (if you are doing reverse sear) to slather it in softened butter to really make the fat crisp up and add those brown butter notes which is easy enough that did try it and see how it goes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

um excuse me posted:

People in this thread like to put competition levels of effort into cooks for friends and family. People are more than willing to convince themselves your food is better than everything if it's free. That's why my crowd pleaser are pork ribs. One of the easier and cheaper things to make.

Chicken thighs or chicken quarters are my go to for this.

But man, there’s nothing better than your own spouse picking up something you smoked and being told, “you’re getting really good at this!”

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

um excuse me posted:

That's cool, I'm cooking for my satisfaction not anyone else's. It's great when people love food I cook but ultimately I'm doing it because it makes me happy.

Hasselblad posted:

Doing a smoke-vide brisket. Tossed some peppers and salt together smashed it into a bag, and puddling till tomorrow afternoon to finish smoked on the Keg.

Feeling lazy.

Share your method?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Even better than last year's!

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

um excuse me posted:

What is your point here exactly because its not hard to read this as making GBS threads on people having fun doing project cooking.

So on another note: I'd like to find a really ethical butcher - I'd like the animals I eat to have nice lives. Does anyone have a good suggestion that sells on the internet?

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My post was directed at no one specifically yet here you come in defensive as hell. Look at the original post I was replying to and calm down. The context is all there.