Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm sorry op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gei have you ever considered you're cursed?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Warbird posted:

Got the old man one of the Flame Boss units for his egg, but I screwed up and didn’t get one of the kamodo units so he can’t use it. Anyone figure they would send out a mounting plate if I called or should I just have him swap it out?

It’s a 3 cent piece of sheet metal so I assume they’d send one. Or you could just make one with a pair of tin snips.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Looking back on this year, I think I’ve finally figured out my brisket process. I did maybe six or seven over the year and they all turned out almost perfectly. I started one on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day and while it wasn’t the best this year, the results are something I only dreamed of when I started bbqing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thanks for the reminder I was supposed to smoke something today
(also: Beautiful)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Did a brisket the week before Christmas. It turned out horrible. I think I forgot to flip it because while most of the point was good, the flat was basically carbon. I also fiddled with the temperature to try and speed it up since I had to catch a movie that evening but a couple of hours at 250-275 instead of 225 probably didn’t ruin it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I did pork shoulder on my new pellet smoker a few weeks ago.. and it turned out lovely, it wasnt fatty enough and cooked too hot (was hotter than I set it to) and it ended up dried out and not too great. I should have pulled it and rested it at 10am instead I went shopping which took longer than I exected.

Still ate it. Will try again soon so I can get this thing dialed in.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Also my food processor is now broken because a little plastic piece on the lid broke off and now the whole goddamn thing doesn't work. Very merry Christmas at my house!

This happened to me last week too! We super glued ours back on but ended up having to buy a replacement lid from cuisinart.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did a brisket the week before Christmas. It turned out horrible. I think I forgot to flip it because while most of the point was good, the flat was basically carbon. I also fiddled with the temperature to try and speed it up since I had to catch a movie that evening but a couple of hours at 250-275 instead of 225 probably didn’t ruin it.

I never do wholes. Always point or flat separate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It is offically too cold for my MB, got stuck at 200, and internal temprature (when set to 275) got stuck at 188.
Finished in the oven, and wife got angry about the smell.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 28, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Get a divorce.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

Looking back on this year, I think I’ve finally figured out my brisket process. I did maybe six or seven over the year and they all turned out almost perfectly. I started one on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day and while it wasn’t the best this year, the results are something I only dreamed of when I started bbqing.

I’ve done a handful of them over the last few years, probably 5, and while I have yet to be 100% satisfied with the results, I’ve realized they’re far and away better than any cooked brisket you can buy. Did a brisket among other things for Christmas meat basket gifts a few weeks ago and I was kinda beating myself up over the finished product, but I made a brisket sandwich with point slices a few days later and it was incredible, and my family all told me how much they loved it. Then the girlfriend and I went to a BBQ place last weekend and I got a brisket sandwich to compare and it SUCKED (AND was $20!) No smoke, no moisture, totally bland. So I think I’m gonna not be so critical of my smokes from now on lol.

On the other hand:

Hasselblad posted:

I never do wholes. Always point or flat separate.

I think I’ll be doing this as well. I’m gonna give a full brisket one more shot to see if I can get a good flat and good point, but yeah the flats always end up being over cooked. I just like the appeal of a big honkin hunk of beef on the smoker :shobon:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve given up on brisket at any place that isn’t highly reviewed in Texas somewhere. Even then, I ask or try to see what it looks like before I get it. Too risky not to!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ve given up on brisket at any place that isn’t highly reviewed in Texas somewhere. Even then, I ask or try to see what it looks like before I get it. Too risky not to!

Yeah that’s kind of the curse of getting into smoking… it makes it almost impossible to enjoy bbq out anywhere.

Over the last few years I can only think of two places that I’ve had excellent bbq at, that wasn’t a home-smoker’s backyard.

One was Rollin Smoke BBQ in Las Vegas. The other was a food truck that has since disappeared.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I used to live in Austin and still have family there and there are some godly barbecue places in the area. I currently live in Oklahoma and in the decade and change I’ve been here I haven’t found a place better than “fine”.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I had awesome brisket in a place in West Yellowstone but I consider it a rarity to find good brisket like that. I find myself avoiding BBQ altogether out of fear of disappointment. I’m the same way with Mexican food too if it’s not one of the border states.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Honestly anything that prevents me from spending $40/lb on restaurant barbecue seems like an unalloyed positive

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

My favorite breakfast combo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks great, but it's missing some pan fried toast.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bob A Feet posted:

My favorite breakfast combo.

Now chop it all up and put it in a tortilla with some salsa.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

I made beef rib roast for Christmas and that was one of the uses for the leftovers, delicious steak quesadilla

I'm putting a nice big pork shoulder on the smoker tonight for yummy pulled pork New Years feast tomorrow

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm putting a nice big pork shoulder on the smoker tonight for yummy pulled pork New Years feast tomorrow

Pulled pork breakfast tacos are all I eat some weeks. Absolutely on par with brisket breakfast tacos.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

Hell yeah brother. My wife makes a few dozen flour tortillas every time I barbecue. I think most of them get eaten by the kids plain over the ensuing days but drat are they good.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

I made beef rib roast for Christmas and that was one of the uses for the leftovers, delicious steak quesadilla

My oven broke Tuesday and so I have a rib roast on the grill @225 creeping almost ready. Threw on some oak to give it a little smoke kiss.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
On our walk last night the dog and I found someone throwing out a small Traeger. I came back later and loaded it into the car. It looks like the travel-size one, it's very short? More as develops.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody do picnic shoulders by choice instead of regular butt/shoulders? I did them a few times before proper smoking, crock pot or pressure cooker. They are a little cheaper. The skin ratio is higher but I feel the meat is not as nice. I'm back in action having fixed the moisture issue near my masterbilt control board. Feel dumb I waited so long to fix something so easy. Shoulder in there with mustard, rubbed with Knorr Pork Bouillon cube crumbled, Lowry's Season salt, coarse Montreal steak seasoning.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I got a Food Saver recently and used it to save some extra brisket in the freezer. It is probably the best antidote to wanting to cook another brisket. I took some out of the freezer this morning to have some brisket and eggs. My wife and kids ate all of it. It’s a pretty big complement to someone always worried about how their food comes out!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody do picnic shoulders by choice instead of regular butt/shoulders? I did them a few times before proper smoking, crock pot or pressure cooker. They are a little cheaper. The skin ratio is higher but I feel the meat is not as nice. I'm back in action having fixed the moisture issue near my masterbilt control board. Feel dumb I waited so long to fix something so easy. Shoulder in there with mustard, rubbed with Knorr Pork Bouillon cube crumbled, Lowry's Season salt, coarse Montreal steak seasoning.

I would treat a picnic the same as a smaller ham personally. Absolutely works in a smoker but I'd be looking to slice it instead of pulling, like a full shoulder.

Speaking of ham, I did a double-smoked Costco ham with a cherry bourbon glaze for Christmas this year and I turned out fantastic. A good value for how much meat you get and was delicious. Super easy, too.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 10, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

I got a Food Saver recently and used it to save some extra brisket in the freezer. It is probably the best antidote to wanting to cook another brisket. I took some out of the freezer this morning to have some brisket and eggs. My wife and kids ate all of it. It’s a pretty big complement to someone always worried about how their food comes out!

I love mine for this. I don't smoke stuff often just because of how long it takes. Pork butt freezes great when vacuum sealed.

Did two since it takes just as long and they were BOGO.

Freezer now has this in it from the weekend.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you smoke meats and don't have a vacuum sealer, you owe it to yourself to get one. And then might as well get a sous vide so you can heat up leftovers from frozen.

Going to try to keep a lot more on hand this year for the cold months.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
It’s awesome for keeping other leftovers and raw meats as well. I’ve found so many uses for it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ah thanks so much for posting the vacuum sealing/freezing suggestion. I just got a sous vide setup for Christmas and then added a vacuum sealer for that. Glad to have another use for it!

...and an excuse to buy brisket more often :getin:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Internet Explorer posted:

If you smoke meats and don't have a vacuum sealer, you owe it to yourself to get one. And then might as well get a sous vide so you can heat up leftovers from frozen.

Going to try to keep a lot more on hand this year for the cold months.
Can you explain this to me?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You vacuum seal the leftovers, freeze them, and reheat with sous vide.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, it is by FAR the best way to reheat bbq to get it as close to original quality as possible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smoker/vac sealer/sous vide is the holy trinity.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Enos Cabell posted:

Smoker/vac sealer/sous vide is the holy trinity.

It really is. Along with a digital scale, I always vacuum seal individual 8oz portions so I can easily reheat just what I need. I think I have brisket, pulled pork and pastor in my freezer right now, and I can have those ready in 30 minutes (with sous vide) tasting as good as if they were cooked that day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Can you explain this to me?

Others got it, but yeah, it's as easy as it sounds. Smoke something, part out the leftovers into reasonably sized chunks, store them in a freezer for pretty much however long you want because they're vacuum sealed, then when you're ready drop them in the sous vide. It only takes a couple of hours to heat up, even from frozen. Like others said, it's a great way to heat things up because it doesn't let moisture escape, heats evenly and thoroughly, doesn't over heat fats, etc.

Even last year I kept extra barbacoa, pork shoulder, chicken thighs, etc.

Plus then you have a vacuum sealer and sous vide and can do all the normal sous vide stuff like making perfect steaks, even from frozen. And also cool combos like starting it on the smoker and moving to sous vide or vice versa.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What kind of temps are you running to heat up via SV?