Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Don’t cook a lean piece of beef to 200 degrees ever.

E. Also don’t add smoke honestly. 3 hours of smoke will make a beautiful piece of meat taste like an ashtray.

I'm curious about this, when you smoke a chicken or salmon for 3 hours it doesn't come out like an ashtray. Why would it make the tenderloin bad here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So:
I already bought it, so I have to use it
I can't make it inside, the wife is pregnant and any extended smells inside make her sick.
The only outside cooker I have is the smoker
I have to cut it because the mbs isn't wide enough without folding it

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I smoke filets before grilling virtually every time I cook them, and they’re loving delicious.

It shouldn’t take 3 hours for a whole tenderloin to reach 115. At 225, it should take like 90 minutes. As a whole muscle, I’d be worried about getting ENOUGH smoke flavor, not oversmoking.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

So:
I already bought it, so I have to use it
I can't make it inside, the wife is pregnant and any extended smells inside make her sick.
The only outside cooker I have is the smoker
I have to cut it because the mbs isn't wide enough without folding it

They aren’t saying don’t smoke it, they’re saying don’t take it all the way to 200 degrees because it will be tough chewy and totally dried out.

Source: Was wanting to do poor man’s burnt ends with Chuck roast to save money, only to find out that Chuck roast had gotten ungodly expensive for some loving reason, but they had sirloin tip roasts which I’d never cooked before on BOGO sale so I tried that. Two sirloin tip roasts went in the trash that night after sitting on the smoker all afternoon!

E: also probably wouldn’t really sweat cutting it to fit it on the smoker, I don’t see that as a problem either

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

T-Square posted:

They aren’t saying don’t smoke it, they’re saying don’t take it all the way to 200 degrees because it will be tough chewy and totally dried out.

Source: Was wanting to do poor man’s burnt ends with Chuck roast to save money, only to find out that Chuck roast had gotten ungodly expensive for some loving reason, but they had sirloin tip roasts which I’d never cooked before on BOGO sale so I tried that. Two sirloin tip roasts went in the trash that night after sitting on the smoker all afternoon!

E: also probably wouldn’t really sweat cutting it to fit it on the smoker, I don’t see that as a problem either

E: Phil said not to.

Anyways: I did smoke it, cut in half and pulled at 130. I did need to cut it to fit. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
Then the wife left for the day (!!!) so I got to sear it and while everything was good the seared section was The Best Ever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Uh...does this count?

/Edit: yeah, i had no idea that there are significant respiratory issues involved and not just dramatic webcam images, removed the link

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 7, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I smoked a beef tenderloin once. Did a couple chunks, maybe 45 minutes worth. It just overwhelmed the meat in my opinion. Maybe if you really want smoke flavored filet, go ahead. Beef tenderloin is such a great piece of beef, it was disappointing. Since then I stick to roasting. But one chunk probably won’t be end of the world if that’s what you really want.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I’d never smoke a tenderloin. If you want the mid rare and smoke combo go tri tip.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Tri-tip is good for that vibe, picanha is very similar and also good.

If I'm going to smoke a steak it's going to be a ribeye. Either the steak version or the whole shebang.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Did ribs.

Literally perfect in every way. I’m just experimenting with rubs and sauces at this point.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
They look extremely edible.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrYenko posted:

Literally perfect in every way.

Not every way. You didn't bring any to share with the class.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
And no cross section!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Any good tips for doing a tri tip?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Any good tips for doing a tri tip?

Tri tip might be my favorite cut to sous vide, but this isn't the thread for that :v:

I basically reverse sear to medium rare on my Weber kettle with a chunk of wood on the coals.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

a reminder for all you pellet grill users, vac out your grill it's probably real dusty.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tater_salad posted:

a reminder for all you pellet grill users, vac out your grill it's probably real dusty.

I have to vacuum mine a lot.

I started with an MES and smoke tube but didn’t get great results.

Moved onto a WSM and got great results with a fire board but sometimes things got too much smoke on them and it was a pain to reload charcoal for a long cook, in addition to cleaning out ashes.

Got a camp chef DLX and loving love it. Just enough smoke, has a smoke ring on everything, easy to monitor and clean up since I can get some ashes through the catch can underneath, but even after like 2 smokes I’ve seen a ton of ash to vacuum out. Probably the only thing I don’t like is hauling the shop vac out to clean it all the time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my smoker sits to the side of my garage that also houses my shop vac so it's easy to do.

I've just started using a "smoke tube" for my smokes on the Pellet grill, we'll see how the pulled pork comes out, I always feel a little light ion the smoke for pulled pork so we'll see how this does when I eat it on lunch.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Time to prep another 30+ lbs of meat for this weekend.
Two packers and a knuckle for the smoker, and a fresh container of Butt Rub.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Chicken wings are actually on sale. I've only ever made them via Alton Brown's fridge method in the oven. Anyone have suggestions or can point me to something involving smoking them? Is it worth it?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

sterster posted:

Chicken wings are actually on sale. I've only ever made them via Alton Brown's fridge method in the oven. Anyone have suggestions or can point me to something involving smoking them? Is it worth it?

I’ve smoked wings a few times and I still usually have to finish them in the oven or the skin gets rubbery.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ll smoke then broil them to crisp up the surface or on a kamado you can just indirect them at a really high temp.

It’s good but I don’t think it’ll ever beat frying them.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sterster posted:

I use a vortex on my Weber kettle and use a chunk of smoker wood over the center and they turn out amazing, here's a video from Malcolm Reed on it: https://youtu.be/y9kC1rCIDHg

crondaily fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2023

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My method is an overnight dry brine in the fridge, put em on the smoker and in the last 15 minutes or so crank the heat up to crisp the skin before basting/tossing in sauce. Works like a charm and never any rubbery skin.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

crondaily posted:

I use a vortex on my Weber kettle and use a chuck of smoker wood over the center and they turn out amazing, here's a video from Malcolm Reed on it: https://youtu.be/y9kC1rCIDHg

Yes this is the way

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bluedeanie posted:

My method is an overnight dry brine in the fridge, put em on the smoker and in the last 15 minutes or so crank the heat up to crisp the skin before basting/tossing in sauce. Works like a charm and never any rubbery skin.

This seems very similar to Alton Brown fridge method. Probably just go this route as it'll work best with my equipment.

crondaily posted:

I use a vortex on my Weber kettle and use a chunk of smoker wood over the center and they turn out amazing, here's a video from Malcolm Reed on it: https://youtu.be/y9kC1rCIDHg

Do you also do the corn stratch, Asking because you didn't specifically mention hat? Wonder if arrowroot will work. That's generally what I have on hand as corn startch substitute.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sterster posted:

Do you also do the corn stratch, Asking because you didn't specifically mention hat? Wonder if arrowroot will work. That's generally what I have on hand as corn startch substitute.

I've never used corn starch on mine.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

I've never used corn starch on mine.

I do use the corn starch because the Boss is gluten intolerant, if she wasn't I'd likely use traditional flour, but I haven't done it that way myself tbh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I smoke em for like an hour then crank up the temps (when I had a smoker id toss em on the grill, with my pellet smoker i just turn the knob to like 450) and finish them by painting them with bbq sauce and they're delicious.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
God bless you fine cooks. I think I have some decent instructions to get me where my heart and stomach desire.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

:canada: Attention Canadian smokers :canada: - Real Canadian Superstore has cryovac AAA whole briskets on sale for $3.99/lb.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

sterster posted:

God bless you fine cooks. I think I have some decent instructions to get me where my heart and stomach desire.

No matter what you do, as long as they’re not under, they’ll be wonderful. Chicken is just fantastic to smoke.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

unknown posted:

:canada: Attention Canadian smokers :canada: - Real Canadian Superstore has cryovac AAA whole briskets on sale for $3.99/lb.

Do you just set those outside these days? :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Meat trimmed. I'm rusty. Two packers and a knuckle ready for the mesquite/hickory smoke tomorrow.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Welp, Home Depot was to deliver my rotisserie today, tracking says delivered, yet no box.

gently caress You OnTrac. You had ONE loving job.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Meat trimmed. I'm rusty. Two packers and a knuckle ready for the mesquite/hickory smoke tomorrow.

More photos please 😛

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sure thing!
This is Bear.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Sure thing!
This is Bear.

10/10, would scratch.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Meats are in, probes are stabbed, mesquite is smoldering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

toplitzin posted:

Sure thing!
This is Bear.

Best post in a thread of good posts. Love big dogs.