Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Dad wants to start with the pork roast, because we already have it and he wants to get rid of what we’ve got before we buy more food.

I don’t know what specific cut of meat a “pork roast” is though, but when I find out I’ll let y’all know so I can get some recipe ideas.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-marinated-pork-tenderloins-recipe-1948375

That's my favorite marinade for a pork that isn't a pork shoulder. I'd take it easy on the lemon zest though. Ends up too lemony for me if you put much zest in. I've never used that marinade and then smoked it though, always either grilled or ovened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

I'd never use a chimney for slow temp startup. My SOP is an electric igniter under a few lumps just to get them started.

I used electric only for years but couldn't find it after I moved and have used a chimney the last few times and I haven't noticed any reason not to. If anything it speeds up the process.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

atothesquiz posted:

You're forgetting that he's not allowed to buy a 99cent a pound pork butt ($10!!!) and instead must use mystery pork that's not ideal for the $2000 appliance he so desperately needed.

I'm having flashbacks of the AI thread about some kids 300ZX.

This post is wrong in basically every way, including that I'm pretty sure it was an Altima, not a 300Z.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sellouts posted:

Doesn’t anyone use a parafin cube?

I use the Weber cubes for lighting my full chimneys. Cheap, effective. Good poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

You're forgetting that he's not allowed to buy a 99cent a pound pork butt ($10!!!) and instead must use mystery pork that's not ideal for the $2000 appliance he so desperately needed.

I'm having flashbacks of the AI thread about some kids 300ZX.

Dude, I’m allowed to buy food, I just don’t because my dad is the one in charge of buying food at my house, and also I don’t have a lot of money of my own right now.

Also the Egg isn’t mine, it’s my dad’s. I just cook on it.

Mikey Purp posted:

Also...not to pile on, but where the gently caress in the world do deliveries not happen due to rain?

They could’ve delivered it in the rain, we just didn’t want them to because we didn’t want the Egg getting messed up.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

P.S. The Egg is here! It got delivered this afternoon and I can’t wait to try it out. :neckbeard:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

also I don’t have a lot of money of my own right now.

Maybe you should..........

Get mo money, son.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Get a job dude

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Get a job dude

I JUST HAD ONE

And then I lost it last week. :cry:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dy. posted:

Buying a pellet smoker (GMG Davy Crockett) in a shady craigslist deal tomorrow morning. Excited to make my first foray into the world of smoked meats. Anything in particular I should know unique to a pellet smoker?

Keep an eye on the quality of the pellets. Fillers, etc. to avoid.

Pellets attract moisture. So try to keep air-tight. You can always dry them off in a microwave or oven.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

They could’ve delivered it in the rain, we just didn’t want them to because we didn’t want the Egg getting messed up.

Messed up?

I suspect that $2000 investment is not going to be used all that much.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
FYI, I was at Costco yesterday and they had a Pit Boss kamado style smoker/grill for much cheaper than it's listed online. I think $599, but I wish I'd paid closer attention. Looked pretty drat nice.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FYI, I was at Costco yesterday and they had a Pit Boss kamado style smoker/grill for much cheaper than it's listed online. I think $599, but I wish I'd paid closer attention. Looked pretty drat nice.

IIRC they had it marked down in their recent coupon mailer. Still would not trade my double-walled Broil King smoker for one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This might be better in the Cast Iron thread, but what’s the best way to season the cast iron grate we got with the Big Green Egg?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like coconut oil. Just rub it in all over really well and let it cook for an hour or so. Also if it's smooth black it came preseasoned and you don't need to do anything. I've never seen grill grates not preseasoned. It would be silver if it's not seasoned.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got maybe the best packer brisket I've ever seen on the smoker right now.

had soccer game

...propane tank went out

Surely an hour at a hundred degrees won't ruin it, right

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Well... it'll still be safe to eat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I’ve asked for this before, but what are some good bacon recipes? I wanna try some out on the Egg.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I haven't tried it personally but I remember the Ruhlman recipe being tossed around GWS

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That recipe is insanely salty. Like you can totally halve the salt.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

veiled boner fuel posted:

This post is wrong in basically every way, including that I'm pretty sure it was an Altima, not a 300Z.

Everything I said was accurate, especially the comment about Sperglord Firecock's 300Z.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Umm, can someone who knows how to use the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 on a Big Green Egg tell me how to put the fan mounting onto the damper door? I tried putting it in longways, but it doesn’t fit all the way and leaves a bunch of air gaps, and I can’t seem to get it to go in the other way.

I checked YouTube, but I’m not seeing any videos that explain this.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a video on the BBQ Guru website that showed me what to do.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 26, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Umm, can someone who knows how to use the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 on a Big Green Egg tell me how to put the fan mounting onto the damper door? I
I was going to say triumphantly "I'll show you how!" because I have the grill adapter but drat if I don't see how it is supposed to fit together either. It is definitely a little fiddly to get in.

I also found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOWypRf4t0&t=175s

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ I think that was the first video I watched to set it up, but his looks a little bit different from mine.

Okay now I’m having another problem. I’ve got the Egg burning with the ConvEGGtor and the DigiQ and everything set up, and I set the DigiQ to put it at 300°F, but it’s been about half an hour and the temperature is a little over 400°F. How do I get the temp to go down? I’m adjusting the top vent every few minutes but it doesn’t look to be doing much. I think the top vent is 2/3rds of the way closed now.

I had to set the DigiQ to 390° just to get it to stop beeping. If it’s lower in an hour I’ll set it again.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 26, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

^^^ I think that was the first video I watched to set it up, but his looks a little bit different from mine.

Okay now I’m having another problem. I’ve got the Egg burning with the ConvEGGtor and the DigiQ and everything set up, and I set the DigiQ to put it at 300°F, but it’s been about half an hour and the temperature is a little over 400°F. How do I get the temp to go down? I’m adjusting the top vent every few minutes but it doesn’t look to be doing much. I think the top vent is 2/3rds of the way closed now.

If you got the coals going to hot it will take a long time to get the temp down because of how well insulated it is. Don't get the fire going so hot before you close it and let the regulator go to work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you got the coals going to hot it will take a long time to get the temp down because of how well insulated it is. Don't get the fire going so hot before you close it and let the regulator go to work.

I filled the coals to a little below the line and let them light for around 15-20 minutes before I put in the ConvEGGtor and closed the lid. So I don’t know how hot that is. The top coals weren’t lit when I closed the lid.

What do you mean by “coals going to hot”?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

dy. posted:

Buying a pellet smoker (GMG Davy Crockett) in a shady craigslist deal tomorrow morning. Excited to make my first foray into the world of smoked meats. Anything in particular I should know unique to a pellet smoker?
Trip report: this thing rules, I can't believe it has wifi and I just made some fantastic wings with a nice mild smoke flavor that fell right off the bone.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

I filled the coals to a little below the line and let them light for around 15-20 minutes before I put in the ConvEGGtor and closed the lid. So I don’t know how hot that is. The top coals weren’t lit when I closed the lid.

What do you mean by “coals going to hot”?

You don't want to light all of your coals at once; that generates too much heat and that many smoldering coals will never get down to the temps you want. Instead what you're looking for is slow, steady heat from a couple of coals which will gradually ignite the coals around them as they burn up. That way, a new coal is ignited to replace the coal that is spent, which leads to a slow, steady supply of heat. Think of your coals the same way as a tank of gas in a car. You want to burn just enough gas to provide the energy you need to keep the motor running. If your car burned all of the gas at once it would loving explode.

Follow this guide: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/500-starting-a-fire-for-low-and-slow-definitive/

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You really should learn how to use the egg without the DigiQ first.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would add that you can easily extinguish the coals entirely if you simply close all vents. Overheating is why I mentioned only using an electric coal starter.

Got a late start on a butt around noon today. Realized it was relatively mild and somewhat humid and jumped on the conditions.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Mikey Purp posted:

You don't want to light all of your coals at once; that generates too much heat and that many smoldering coals will never get down to the temps you want. Instead what you're looking for is slow, steady heat from a couple of coals which will gradually ignite the coals around them as they burn up. That way, a new coal is ignited to replace the coal that is spent, which leads to a slow, steady supply of heat. Think of your coals the same way as a tank of gas in a car. You want to burn just enough gas to provide the energy you need to keep the motor running. If your car burned all of the gas at once it would loving explode.

Follow this guide: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/500-starting-a-fire-for-low-and-slow-definitive/

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > If your car burned all of the gas at once it would loving explode

5:30PM and very much in the stall.

To the fellow above with the pristine egg, here's my process:
- Minimal ingredients in rub. (1 type of sugar most often brown, some kosher salt and a single type of pepper)
- Light edge of 3-4 lump charcoal (I love Fogu) and load charcoal around them
- Open all vents (close lid, eh) and allow smoker to get within 25-50 degrees of target temp.
- I put meat on at this point because when you open to put meat on you are letting a metric ton of oxygen in, which can cause it to heat up quickly
- only when the temp is 10-20 degrees from target temp do I almost entirely close the vents and THEN turn on the pitmasterIQ stoker. If it is comically frigid outside (10F and below), the stoker will run on high airflow constantly in an attempt to get up to temp, which adds oxygen but all that frigid air cools it down at the same time which often causes it to simply not stop blowing. In an ideal world the stoker is only putting virtual puffs in to keep the coals alive and nail the desired temp.

Once you get your procedure down, you will find that only a tiny number of coals are actually used during a 14 hour smoke.

I am not going to shame you/your dad for dumping cash into an egg, but I use a Broil King Keg. Metal and double-walled. Relatively lightweight, snug insulation, won't shatter and costs a fraction of an egg. That said the same principals apply for use.
I use a PitmasterIQ IQ110 stoker. There is a roll of metal duct tape with my smoking stuff that I use strips of to seal around the stoker vent. If you haven't yet, invest in a decent grill thermometer separate from the stoker's. The dial on the stoker is just a ballpark which I adjust based on the "good" thermo.

In closing: Never rush getting your grill ready prior to putting the meat on. Taking your time up front saves you from the overheating nightmare you just experienced.

In additional closing: Cleaning is fun as I just open up the vents after a smoke and allow the Keg to get to 800F+. (Only once did I forget I had the probes inside it :doh:)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 27, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thanks for the tips, guys. I’ve done charcoal grilling and smoking before but this is apparently a different procedure from what I’m used to.

I shut the vents on my Egg awhile ago, and after two hours the outside was still warm to the touch. When I opened the lid, there was still a good bit of heat and the grate was too hot to touch.

I fuckin love this grill.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I had to set the DigiQ to 390° just to get it to stop beeping. If it’s lower in an hour I’ll set it again.

https://biggreenegg.com/getting-started/ posted:

Do NOT Cook at High Temperatures Your First Use
This may damage the gasket before it can properly seat itself. Your first few cooks should be under 350°F/177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG. If you do damage the gasket, you can easily replace it with a self-adhesive high temperature replacement gasket available from any Big Green Egg dealer.

Slow the gently caress down man. I know you're excited your dad got a new toy but slow down. Plenty of others in this thread warned you not to run it too hot for the first few cooks, such that you properly set the gaskets. Hopefully you didn't gently caress it up running it at 400F+.

Take your time and use some common sense:
- If you put in a large basket of screaming hot coals, you'll get a screaming hot grill.
- A temperature controller does not have "brakes." It cannot take temperature out of a grill, it can only stop stoking it (making the coals burn hotter/faster).
- Lack of oxygen will help extinguish the hot coals. This will lead to a dirty smoke which is not good eats.
- Slowly approach your desired temperature using the least amount of lit coals as possible, at least for your first (too late) couple of smokes.

Ultimately I'd recommend you to stop using the digiQ controller until you understand how this new grill works, because it's somehow much different than your other charcoal grills/smokers. Waste some coal just playing with temperature control without any food on it otherwise you'll be wasting both food and coals because you can't keep a desired temperature consistent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Next post:

quote:

My dad's Egg became sentient and is currently burning down my house and eating my family what do

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ah, Human Eradication Mode.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

El Jebus posted:

Ah, Human Eradication Mode.

I wonder what type of wood they would choose to smoke us with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hope it's Hickory!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hasselblad posted:

I wonder what type of wood they would choose to smoke us with.

Internet Explorer posted:

I hope it's Hickory!

As someone who has slowly become more pig-like, Apple seems like a fantastic choice. Or peach. I’ve got a large box of wood that is one of those.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He’s not going to gently caress up the gaskets at 400. Relax.

If it was 650+, you might have a problem.

Maybe it’s different than my HeaterMeter but why wouldn’t you drop in a parafin cube, close grill, start controller at temp you want and leave the top wheel open about a toothpick’s width? And let the controller pump in the air it needs to stoke the fire appropriately?

This will usually get me going at 235, if I want 225 I have to be a bit more careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

Do NOT Cook at High Temperatures Your First Use

MOTHER

FUCKER

I DIDN’T KNOW

I DIDN’T KNOW :gonk:

It was going at a little under 430° for around 4 hours. Is my (dad’s) baby ruined now? :ohdear: