Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That is a lot of smoke ring.

Seriously, that thing is like half smoke ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Those look amazing! What is the white stuff under the ribs? It looks like rice pudding...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Doom Rooster posted:

Those look amazing! What is the white stuff under the ribs? It looks like rice pudding...

Looks like mashed cauliflower to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Risotto?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm guessing Grits

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
EDIT: Wrong thread!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
EDIT: Whoops!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

qutius posted:

Looks like mashed cauliflower to me.

Ding ding.

Subjunctive posted:

That is a lot of smoke ring.

Yeah they were thin but I needed to cook them. Only a 2 hour smoke but sous vide’d before and drat we’re they good.

Rub was “Carolina Cooker” blend. Really good stuff and doesn’t take much at all.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah they were thin but I needed to cook them. Only a 2 hour smoke but sous vide’d before and drat we’re they good.

What was your cook SV? Did you cool the ribs prior to smoking?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

12 hours at 160 then straight to the grill. 24 hours normally with thick ribs.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I did a batch of sous vide ribs, one rack with just a dry rub and finished in the oven and the other finished with some smoke and a bit of sauce. They both turned out so god drat good!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Moar ribs!

Beef ribs - Dry brined for 24 hours, then sous vide 36 hours at 150, then cooled and refrigerated. Smoked today for 5 hours with hickory. I was hoping to get to 200 but pulled them at 185 because I'm too drat tired. They're still tender as gently caress anyways so I don't know if going to 200 would have gotten me anything. Rub was just pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

My kitchen smells like the best hickory beef jerky smell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are beef ribs meaty enough that you can do them by temp?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Subjunctive posted:

You could probably do them if there's enough meat on top of the bone, like if you get plate ribs with a good 1-2 inches of meat you could probably do temp. Back ribs you usually can't because there isn't that much space between the bones and they're usually cut as close to the bone as possible so they can sell more as ribeye

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

There should be enough meat to temp them but that should used as reference only. You really want to check the tenderness of the meat and if the membranes between the bones is broken down enough where you can easily poke through it with a temp probe/skewer.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Beef ribs are too rich for me and to be honest so is brisket

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RisqueBarber posted:

Beef ribs are too rich for me and to be honest so is brisket

Wow. That's a pretty ballsy thing to admit in this thread. Props. :cheeky:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow. That's a pretty ballsy thing to admit in this thread. Props. :cheeky:

I appreciate the effort they each take but I can't have more than a few bites. They are also the most expensive cuts aren't they? Beef ribs are always the most expensive item at bbq joints and I think brisket is always 2nd.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

I appreciate the effort they each take but I can't have more than a few bites. They are also the most expensive cuts aren't they? Beef ribs are always the most expensive item at bbq joints and I think brisket is always 2nd.

1) Nothing in bbq is the most expensive cut.
2) Brisket and beef ribs are better than pulled pork and pork ribs so the slight difference in price is worth it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Beef ribs are like meat candy when done properly.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

I totally get it. I love me some nicely done beef ribs and brisket but I've definitely over done it in the past and wish I ate a bit less. As for prices, beef ribs aren't exactly cheap considering you're paying for the weight of the bone too, I pay about $5-$6 for prime plate short ribs at the butcher.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

1) Nothing in bbq is the most expensive cut.
2) Brisket and beef ribs are better than pulled pork and pork ribs so the slight difference in price is worth it.

They are the most expensive cut in BBQ. I'm not talking about steak in a slow smoking meat thread.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

They are the most expensive cut in BBQ. I'm not talking about steak in a slow smoking meat thread.

My point is that still isn't expensive so bringing it up is really dumb and I've seen plenty of places selling beef for cheaper than pork ribs. It is especially weird if you're buying it from someone else since all of those prices are inflated and balanced to cover the cost of everything else. Beef ribs are easier to cook, easier to eat, have more meat and taste better. They're so much better than pork that any slight price difference is insignificant.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's somewhat in bad taste, IMO, to tell someone else what financial difference is significant to them. I might not care about the difference in price between chuck and tenderloin, but that doesn't mean you're wrong to distinguish.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It's somewhat in bad taste, IMO, to tell someone else what financial difference is significant to them. I might not care about the difference in price between chuck and tenderloin, but that doesn't mean you're wrong to distinguish.

That's also a dumb thing to say since you're comparing completely different cuts on the same animal that are cooked nothing alike.

Beef ribs are more meat per pound and not always more expensive than pork so get out with that bad comparison.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People smoke both tenderloin and chuck, I believe -- I will probably do both this summer -- but you're missing my point.

Whether a given difference in cost is significant or not is very specific to a person's preferences, values, and situation. Could be cars, cuts of beef, houses. To declare it as a universal fact is at best tone deaf.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

People smoke both tenderloin and chuck, I believe

Nobody is making edible tenderloins by slow smoking them. Reverse searing doesn't count. If a guy doesn't like beef ribs that's fine but he's also making poo poo up about the price. Pork ribs are also the most overrated thing in bbq and you people need pushback.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amazing Ribs recommends 225F with smoke. Why doesn't reverse searing count?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Amazing Ribs recommends 225F with smoke. Why doesn't reverse searing count?

Do you reverse sear a brisket? They cook in different ways, if you took a brisket off at 145 degrees it would be indedible. If you smoked a tenderloin to 195 it would also be disgusting.

Edit: vvv We were talking about brisket you dumb-rear end. The entire conversation was about brisket and beef ribs compared to pork ribs.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We're not talking about brisket? I might sear hot-smoked salmon to crisp the skin, though.

If you're the is-smoking gatekeeper, could you provide a definition such that the rest of us don't inadvertently misuse it?

E: actually, please don't

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Nobody is making edible tenderloins by slow smoking them. Reverse searing doesn't count. If a guy doesn't like beef ribs that's fine but he's also making poo poo up about the price. Pork ribs are also the most overrated thing in bbq and you people need pushback.

Nice meltdown.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've seen plenty of places selling beef for cheaper than pork ribs.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

he's also making poo poo up about the price.
Details plz. I only buy pork ribs at $2/lb or less, and I've never seen beef ribs come even sort of close. Where are all these places with such cheap beef ribs? I seriously want to know because I will buy and eat them if I can get them that cheap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you reverse sear a brisket? They cook in different ways, if you took a brisket off at 145 degrees it would be indedible. If you smoked a tenderloin to 195 it would also be disgusting.

Edit: vvv We were talking about brisket you dumb-rear end. The entire conversation was about brisket and beef ribs compared to pork ribs.

Why are you so mad in such a chill thread?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DiggityDoink posted:

Nice meltdown.

Faster than rendering fat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If a guy doesn't like beef ribs that's fine but he's also making poo poo up about the price.

I'm in Texas, the heart of beef country, and beef ribs are $4.50+ per pound on a good day, for the ones that have had most of the cap already taken off. Baby backs are usually around $3.00 per pound. So, maybe it's different where you are, but probably don't call people liars about it.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Pork ribs are also the most overrated thing in bbq and you people need pushback.

What in the everloving gently caress? Are you the objective decider of what is good and people should like? And "you people" what the gently caress?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Yo, the USDA website has a bunch interesting spreadsheets showing the prices for meats

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That is kinda interesting but it doesn't have any data for any ribs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And it’s averages, which isn’t all that useful for purposes of this discussion (individual choices of meat).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like smoking meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

That is kinda interesting but it doesn't have any data for any ribs?

Yeah not sure what category they are including beef ribs in. I checked Pecan Lodge's(in Dallas) menu and Blacks(in Austin), the only two places I've had beef ribs, and their most expensive items are. 1.) Beef Ribs and
2.) Brisket