Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm a big fan of Malcolm Reed's youtube channel for smoker inspiration, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZcTb_m_As

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

either a pork shoulder or a brisket. Probably brisket. So what's a good GWS-approved idiot-proof recipe for a first brisket smoke?

Not to be a downer, but there kinda isn't one. Brisket is considered to be the most difficult single cut to cook really well. As far as recipe goes, the classic is just heavy salt and pepper, that's it. There's endless debate about 225f vs. 275f vs. combo, wrap or don't, what to wrap WITH if you do, etc... Brisket is extremely unforgiving, and each one cooks differently.

Pork shoulder on the other hand is probably the easiest thing to smoke and end up with delicious results. Basic recipe is heavy of whatever rub you want, storebought, homemade, magic dust rub, whatever sounds good to you, then smoke at 225f fr about 1.5hrs per pound, or until it hits 190-195f, wrap in foil and put in a cooler, or turned off oven for at least an hour.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And plus if you fuckup a brisket you are out a ton of more $ versus a pig's rear end.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do a chuck roll, beef equivalent of pork shoulder. Way more forgiving than brisket.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'd figured a pork shoulder seemed a whole lot easier, but I really wanted brisket... Then again, I suppose I do want pork shoulder more than nothing-at-all-because-I-hosed-up-my-brisket, so I'll go with that then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doom Rooster posted:

As far as recipe goes, the classic is just heavy salt and pepper, that's it. There's endless debate about 225f vs. 275f vs. combo, wrap or don't, what to wrap WITH if you do, etc...

I really want some site that lays out all the (claimed) trade offs for this stuff.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, I'd figured a pork shoulder seemed a whole lot easier, but I really wanted brisket... Then again, I suppose I do want pork shoulder more than nothing-at-all-because-I-hosed-up-my-brisket, so I'll go with that then.

When you do decide to do a brisket, the most helpful thing you can do is get the highest grade of meat possible, prime if you can (Costco usually sells prime Packers for dirt cheap - not pork shoulder cheap though).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend's kid really liked the ribs I made, and demanded that his mom get the recipe from me. They don't have a smoker, so I was thinking of undercooking some and then freezing them, so that they could sauce and finish in the oven when they wanted. Does that sort of thing work, or does it wreck the texture?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ROJO posted:

When you do decide to do a brisket, the most helpful thing you can do is get the highest grade of meat possible, prime if you can (Costco usually sells prime Packers for dirt cheap - not pork shoulder cheap though).

They're usually 3.99 a pound here, but the issue is that the smallest packer brisket I've seen there was just shy of 12 pounds. It's hard to commit to a $40 piece of meat to practice cooking.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I followed amazing ribs' guide on smoking brisket and have never done one poorly. 225, salt a day before and dry rub right before throwing it in. No crutch, injection or anything special. Takes forever (203 pull plus resting if I didn't horribly under calculate cook time... Which is always) but is always pretty awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm new to smoking and have only done a couple of briskets. I haven't found it hard to make one that tastes good, other than making sure you give yourself plenty of time. Trying to get it done early and then wrap it and put it in the cooler gives you some wiggle room so you're jot starving when you thought it was going to be done 2 hours ago. I really like the pink butcher paper to wrap it when it stalls (180ish).

If you have your heart set on brisket, give it a shot. A 3 pound point isn't outrageously expensive. It wouldn't hurt to do a pork shoulder/butt first, but I doubt it will be inedible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I followed amazing ribs' guide on smoking brisket and have never done one poorly. 225, salt a day before and dry rub right before throwing it in. No crutch, injection or anything special. Takes forever (203 pull plus resting if I didn't horribly under calculate cook time... Which is always) but is always pretty awesome.

Yeah, amazing ribs guide to brisket is exhaustive. If you can read that and understand what it's saying, you have a huge leg up.

On the length of time, I think wrapping really helps. The first time I wrapped with foil and while it tasted great, the meat was more braised than anything. This video really convinced me to try butcher paper and I'm glad I did. Huge improvement and still shaves a couple of hours off vs unwrapped.

https://youtu.be/lnRRDSYgdmw

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

A friend's kid really liked the ribs I made, and demanded that his mom get the recipe from me. They don't have a smoker, so I was thinking of undercooking some and then freezing them, so that they could sauce and finish in the oven when they wanted. Does that sort of thing work, or does it wreck the texture?

An interesting question.

Are you cooking to at least 145 due to safe pork temps?

I think that yeah, should be ok. I'd foil/wrap what you cooked and toss in either apple juice or some beer at 225 into the foil for a few hours and would be good to go. Probably will lose some smokiness. Then of course sauce, yada yada.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Colostomy Bag posted:

An interesting question.

Are you cooking to at least 145 due to safe pork temps?

I think that yeah, should be ok. I'd foil/wrap what you cooked and toss in either apple juice or some beer at 225 into the foil for a few hours and would be good to go. Probably will lose some smokiness. Then of course sauce, yada yada.

I can check the temps; I usually don't cook ribs to temp, but figure ~3 hours on a 225F smoker. Should be OK I think.

I was going to tightly wrap them in plastic wrap and then vac seal them before freezing, but they could wrap in foil when re-heating. I'd like to get it down to an hour of re-heating from frozen at like 250F if I could, because they don't have a ton of time to get dinner ready in the evenings.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Subjunctive posted:

I can check the temps; I usually don't cook ribs to temp, but figure ~3 hours on a 225F smoker. Should be OK I think.

I was going to tightly wrap them in plastic wrap and then vac seal them before freezing, but they could wrap in foil when re-heating. I'd like to get it down to an hour of re-heating from frozen at like 250F if I could, because they don't have a ton of time to get dinner ready in the evenings.

Why would you plastic wrap before vac sealing?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I have yet to have brisket better than a smoked chuck. Not worth the extra expense and hit and miss nature of the smoke.

Smoke report: jerkey came out decent. Am chewing it as I watch the billowing smoke outside from the local forest fires.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hasselblad posted:

I have yet to have brisket better than a smoked chuck.

I am sorry to hear that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi goons. I have smoked more things. Some old:

Some new: Smoked meatloaf(s)

One glazed, one dry rubbed, both delicious as hell.
This is one of those foods that I would highly suggesting putting on foil or parchment before you put it on the grate of your smoker though. Even though it'll firm up, it's still a dicey thing to get it off the grate cleanly when you're done cooking.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

qutius posted:

I am sorry to hear that.

:shrug:

Gwaihir posted:

Some new: Smoked meatloaf(s)

One glazed, one dry rubbed, both delicious as hell.
This is one of those foods that I would highly suggesting putting on foil or parchment before you put it on the grate of your smoker though. Even though it'll firm up, it's still a dicey thing to get it off the grate cleanly when you're done cooking.

Couldn't you sear the bottom and then transfer to the grates?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Had a coworker aggressively explain to me on friday that thermometers are for nerds and that he can tell when his grill is at 400 by holding his hand over for 5 seconds it and it felt like being in a conversation with door to door jehovahs witnesses where I really wanted to say that everything about that is wrong but wasn't worth the effort or upsetting the politeness of the environment so I just kinda nodded along.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Who wants a grill at 400 anyway? When I'm grilling, I usually want 600+, and that's physically painful after much less than 5 seconds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ROJO posted:

Why would you plastic wrap before vac sealing?

Abundance of caution. I guess I probably don’t need to. I was going to wrap and then foil before I remembered I had a sealer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"thermometers are for nerds" is a scorching hot take.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

"thermometers are for nerds" is a scorching hot take.

I can tell how hot it is by letting my eyes linger on the take for 5 seconds, actually.

Hasselblad posted:

:shrug:

Couldn't you sear the bottom and then transfer to the grates?

It probably would have been OK if I'd left the loaves in the fridge or freezer longer before putting them on the grill, but I started too late in the day to have that much spare time heh.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Gwaihir posted:

I can tell how hot it is by letting my eyes linger on the take for 5 seconds, actually.

Heh. I solve complex systems of partial differential equations in my head regarding my smoker and the geometry of the coal chunks / meat in it the takeverse and effectively simulate its behavior for the next 24 hours so I don't even have to worry about "hot" or "cold". Amateur.

Speaking of amateurs, that first ever piece of pork shoulder that's in the smoker is getting awfully close to the fated 205, and it certainly smelled good and looked good when I entombed it in foil at 160. I can think of worse ways to have spent the last 9 hours.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Had a coworker aggressively explain to me on friday that thermometers are for nerds and that he can tell when his grill is at 400 by holding his hand over for 5 seconds it and it felt like being in a conversation with door to door jehovahs witnesses where I really wanted to say that everything about that is wrong but wasn't worth the effort or upsetting the politeness of the environment so I just kinda nodded along.

Tell him to let you know when he can tell when his pork butt is at temp while watching football in the living room.

What’s that? Left it in too long and now it’s nine wasted hours of bone dry mess? Aww too bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

Tell him to let you know when he can tell when his pork butt is at temp while watching football in the living room.

What’s that? Left it in too long and now it’s nine wasted hours of bone dry mess? Aww too bad.

Or left it in when the temps were too hot kuz thermometers are for idiots.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Our first snowstorm from last week finally thawed out. It's caused work to be slow for a bit...

Smokin' a big old pork shoulder with some Rufus Teeg's rub + garlic powder and cracked black pepper. Gonna toss some of it into a chilli and gonna toss some of it at my friends because I hosed up their moose roast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jonathan posted:

I hosed up their moose roast.

What

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I give that thermometer a meat plus, taste minus

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

jonathan posted:

I hosed up their moose roast.

Yeah I wanna hear more about roasting moose

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suuma posted:

I give that thermometer a meat plus, taste minus

Yeah it was set for 203 I noticed that after and put it down to 193.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Moose roast: Don't do moose roast. Turn it into ground moose or sausage instead.

My friend has a bunch of frozen moose and elk. He gave me an 8lb moose roast. I thawed it, oiled it and rubbed it the same way I would usually do beef: garlic, pepper, light on the salt, small amount of cayenne.

There's no way you could cook it medium rare and have it tender, so I figured maybe I could cook it like a brisket and possibly it would get tender ? I pulled it at 203 and tried a little bit. For one, the bark was horrid. It was nothing like the same rub on beef. And the inside, while stringy, was not tender at all. You could cut it easily but it was not edible.

Also that small amount of salt? It was as if it was drawn to the very center of the roast. Like the salt was extremely powerful even though I barely used any.

Luckily I was cooking solo and it was just an experiment. I ended up tossing it out. But I felt bad about tossing it so I did a pork shoulder for Chris. It finished at 1am, I shredded it, stuck it in a container and went to bed. Tried a bit this morning and it was good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

You smoke with the vent wide open? And what happened to all the buttons on the control panel? My display doesn't work right anymore due to getting rained on but it still works and the buttons are there still.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trastion posted:

You smoke with the vent wide open? And what happened to all the buttons on the control panel? My display doesn't work right anymore due to getting rained on but it still works and the buttons are there still.

If it can hold temp with the vent open (I also leave the chip loader pulled out) it keeps the heating element powered up more often which promotes a hotter bluer burn. I also load small bits of charcoal into the chip tray. Basically with a pork shoulder, I want as much smoke as possible for the first couple hours. So I open the vents to get as much airflow and chip burning as possible. With ribs or brisket I don't like to overload on smoke so I keep it 1/2 open or less. Also if it's windy or cold I'll keep them choked off.

As for the missing buttons, it's just the cover sticker missing. Buttons all work other than the under sticker text being french. It fell off because it's been outside in the rain, wind, snow and sun since 2012... It's out all winter in -40 temps (it actually works just fine when it's that cold. But the vents needed to be closed more.

I clean the whole thing with oven cleaner and a pressure washer. The cleaner 2x a year, and pressure washer more often.

Basically I'm a sadistic psychopath and my victims are smokers. The masterbuilt has held up exceptionally well.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yeah it was set for 203 I noticed that after and put it down to 193.

I was just referring to the buttons, not what you were doing.

"Meat plus taste minus" was funny in my head

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

jonathan posted:

If it can hold temp with the vent open (I also leave the chip loader pulled out) it keeps the heating element powered up more often which promotes a hotter bluer burn. I also load small bits of charcoal into the chip tray. Basically with a pork shoulder, I want as much smoke as possible for the first couple hours. So I open the vents to get as much airflow and chip burning as possible. With ribs or brisket I don't like to overload on smoke so I keep it 1/2 open or less. Also if it's windy or cold I'll keep them choked off.

As for the missing buttons, it's just the cover sticker missing. Buttons all work other than the under sticker text being french. It fell off because it's been outside in the rain, wind, snow and sun since 2012... It's out all winter in -40 temps (it actually works just fine when it's that cold. But the vents needed to be closed more.

I clean the whole thing with oven cleaner and a pressure washer. The cleaner 2x a year, and pressure washer more often.

Basically I'm a sadistic psychopath and my victims are smokers. The masterbuilt has held up exceptionally well.

You sound like my twin. I abuse the drat thing and the element gave out a year or two ago but was a $30 easy fix. The control panel is another thing...I can set it and off it goes, but if I adjust or basically hit any button it will "shut down" and I have to bring it back to life by unplugging. Basically has the stock the settings @ 100 F when it comes back to life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Re:MES - Those of you with issues on the panel, do you have it covered from rain and/or do you use a cover for it?

I've got mine exposed but I do have a cover on it. I also have the model with the flat button controls instead of the raised version. I had read that it holds up better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Mine is the raised button panel. It is inside the shed when not in use so no cover. When it is in use it is under an awning but if it is raining or snowing then the top gets wet a lot which is why my display is screwed up. But it is not really a problem because I do not rely on its temp probes and I just set it and then adjust to what my other thermometers are reading.