Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Internet Explorer posted:

For smoking hams, I realize there's a technique to it and the glaze is important, but are you generally just buying a pre-cooked and pre-smoked ham and giving it a bit more smoke and heat? 3 or 4 hours of work? Or am I missing something?

Nah, you are not missing anything and impossible to screw up.

If it is a spiral sliced ham you do have the danger of drying out. But other than that, ham at it.

Edit: Should add, treat it like you would in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Awful app.. if read a thread click post and it would bring me back to the thread I was just in and post there.. no clue if this will end up in Forza thread or smoked buttholes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tater_salad posted:

Awful app.. if read a thread click post and it would bring me back to the thread I was just in and post there.. no clue if this will end up in Forza thread or smoked buttholes.

On iOS or Android?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wrong thread sorry

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 18, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

On iOS or Android?

android.. it seems to have corrected itself. the only thing I can think of is I tapped both back and post at teh same time since they're close.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Smoked a baby sized brisket this weekend. It was pretty good but took longer than expected, though this happens every single time. After eating I noticed my wife didn't eat all hers so of course I started forking it off her plate. At this point I literally drooled on my own plate and she saw. My immediate reaction was me saying "I'm such a fat piece of poo poo" and then laughing with her and continue eating it anyway. :hampants:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like the thread title should be

Slow Smoking Meat: Brisket takes longer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Might as well crosspost this from the Pizza thread.

I. M. Gei posted:

Pizza Time!

Crust: Kenji’s New York style (not sure why I’m linking this again, I’m weird)

Sauce: Kenji’s New York style sauce with these changes:
  • Doubled the garlic (and I’ll probably add even more next time, because garlic is awesome)
  • Added some fresh thyme and freeze-dried parsley
  • Added some anchovy paste (thanks Gwaihir)
  • Doubled the simmering time (I like my sauce thick)
The sauce by itself was wonderful. I’m totally using this recipe again.

Toppings: Buffalo mozzarella, grated provolone (the good poo poo), grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (also the good poo poo), kalamata olives, sautéed mushrooms, yellow onion, sweet red pepper (not sure what kind; they came in a bag), shredded basil leaves, pepperoni, capicola.

Some mid-construction shots of one.

The other two, just before cooking.

The finished pies.

Some “crust” (or what passes for crust in this case) shots cuz I know you guys like those.

A couple underside shots.

Dough issues and lack of actual crusts aside, everything was loving amazing and I can’t wait to do this again. The grill imparted a nice smoky flavor that was loving incredible. If you’ve never done grill pizza, you should try it.

(Sorry for so many pics, I won’t post near this many in the future. I’m just excited because this was my first time making pizza.)

I already want to do this again. I really wanna try a barbecue pizza.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice. What temp were you doing? Did you use any wood for smoke?

Also how the gently caress do you get a pizza onto a pizza stone without an upside down or otherwise jacked up pizza? I've tried cornmeal and it never works. Maybe I'll try leaving it on foil next time?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Also how the gently caress do you get a pizza onto a pizza stone without an upside down or otherwise jacked up pizza? I've tried cornmeal and it never works. Maybe I'll try leaving it on foil next time?

Use a peel or use something else as a peel. I use parchment paper if I have to but usually flour or cornmeal is just fine so maybe your stone is too cool or your pizza is too wet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Might as well crosspost this from the Pizza thread.

I already want to do this again. I really wanna try a barbecue pizza.

You know...everyone here cranks out some good stuff...but my god...that is impressive and I wish I could throw some money at you to make me that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suburban Dad posted:

I think the Egg peaked at around 700° or 800° (would’ve gone higher if I hadn’t used the diffuser stone as recommended by AmazingRibs), but the temps the pizzas ended up cooking at were lower than that. Especially the last two because I didn’t wait for the temp to build back up between pizzas (we were too hungry to wait). Also I couldn’t use my DigiQ temperature probe because it isn’t designed to handle temps over 500° (and it’s wired to an alarm that maxes out at 475°), so I had to go off the lovely inaccurate front temperature guage. So... I think they cooked between about 550° and 700° or so?

I didn’t use any wood, but pizzas on a grill only cook for about 5 or 10 minutes at most, so adding wood smoke wouldn’t do much unfortunately.

Suburban Dad posted:

The Pizza thread is an awesome resource and can help you out with this a lot better than I can (since I’m still very new to it), but the short answer is there are a lot of factors that can influence how easy it is to move a pizza from the peel to the cooking area. Some of the bigger ones:

- How wet your dough is
- How long your pizza sits on the peel
- How much toppings you use
- How much cornmeal you use

One option you might consider trying is a pizza screen. You can build your pizza on it, put it on the stone/steel/whatever to cook, and then pull it out from under the pizza mid-cook after like a minute or two. They’re cheap as hell too.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Use a peel or use something else as a peel. I use parchment paper if I have to but usually flour or cornmeal is just fine so maybe your stone is too cool or your pizza is too wet.

If you use paper, keep in mind that parchment paper is only rated to handle about 500° I think, which is fine if you’re using a regular oven, but grills and wood fired ovens get way hotter than that.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 2, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Colostomy Bag posted:

You know...everyone here cranks out some good stuff...but my god...that is impressive and I wish I could throw some money at you to make me that.

........ you don’t say? :smugmrgw: *wrings hands greedily*

(also thank you, that means a lot to me)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Sprinkle down Semolina flour on your peel instead of cornmeal. That’s like putting a pizza on ball bearings!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Are you taking the remaining wood chunk debris out first? I grill on the egg all the time and I don’t find that it’s worse going from a smoking config than going from cold.

Super old but:

I guess I never thought about removing the actively burning wood chunks from the egg before I moved onto the sear stage?

I'm terrible at grilling on the egg anyway, so I just bought a dedicated charcoal grill.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I guess I never thought that this thread would complement gitmo on his grilling/smoking skills, but yeah those pies look great

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suburban Dad posted:

A good peel and cornmeal and parchment paper and poo poo will help a lot (as previously mentioned) but America's Test Kitchen has a grilled pizza recipe that involves quickly/partially grilling the crusts, yanking them off, going back inside and putting on the sauce and toppings and poo poo, and then putting them back on the grill. And it works like a champ. Getting a pizza full of toppings on and off a grill can be real tough (i.e. impossible especially when you're drunk) but getting a flat piece of plain dough on and off is about a million times easier and then when you do the second grill with all the toppings on the crust is already mostly firm so no issues there with getting it off or on (insert dong joke).

A decent amount of wood smoke is also awesome for pizza. Pizzas aren't on there that long but if you're using a decent amount of wood chunks you can absolutely taste it from my experience.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

ROJO posted:

I guess I never thought that this thread would complement gitmo on his grilling/smoking skills, but yeah those pies look great

It is truly incredible to me

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

It is truly incredible to me

:same:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The butterfly finally emerged from its cocoon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ROJO posted:

I saw the similar lovely avatar but didn't know if it was still him. I'm glad his dad let him make a good looking pizza.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cripes went to Meijer hoping to score a turkey on sale. Their store brand ones are 37 cents a pound. Felt like I was the robbing the place by buying a 19lber for a little over $7.

Anyways thought I'd let you guys know that have one in your neighborhood. Sign said 3 days only so I assume it ends tomorrow.

Cheapest I've ever seen in years and no minimum purchase required.

Butterball was @ 99 cents/lb.

YMMV.

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cripes went to Meijer hoping to score a turkey on sale. Their store brand ones are 37 cents a pound. Felt like I was the robbing the place by buying a 19lber for a little over $7.

Anyways thought I'd let you guys know that have one in your neighborhood. Sign said 3 days only so I assume it ends tomorrow.

Cheapest I've ever seen in years and no minimum purchase required.

Butterball was @ 99 cents/lb.

YMMV.

What Meijer was this? My local one is in Jenison.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Pen Express posted:

NE Indiana area. You seem to be only 3-4 hours away from me. :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is a real dumb question, but would there be any benefit to smoking a Thanksgiving turkey at a super low non-cooking temp like 170° or so for a few hours and then frying it, as opposed to just smoking it or frying it alone? Has anybody ever tried that?

I love smoked turkey, but my mom claims that fried turkey is the only kind of turkey she likes, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to combine the two.

EDIT: I already asked this in a different thread, but I figured I’d get a better answer here.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sounds interesting but probably easier to just cook multiple turkeys.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

This is a real dumb question, but would there be any benefit to smoking a Thanksgiving turkey at a super low non-cooking temp like 170° or so for a few hours and then frying it, as opposed to just smoking it or frying it alone? Has anybody ever tried that?

I love smoked turkey, but my mom claims that fried turkey is the only kind of turkey she likes, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to combine the two.

EDIT: I already asked this in a different thread, but I figured I’d get a better answer here.

No. Once it hits the oil kiss the smoke goodbye. Besides, smoking at 170 is probably not a safe thing to do.

I like deep frying turkey...just depends on the weather on what I decide to do. Snowing today...temps in the 30's and well my deep fryer can't keep up at those temps so smoking it will probably be.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

No way you'd be able to taste any smoke at all after frying, but really, that's sorta OK because cajun spiced fried turkey is loving *incredibly good*

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I have smoked and fried chicken a few times and you can definitely taste the smoke through the breading and frying. A turkey is going to have a longer smoke so it should hold up well. Just smoke it at a regular bird temperature like 275-350, pull it at 135, bread and fry it to 165.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Suburban Dad posted:

A little late but I thought I'd chime in. I worked at my dads pizza restaurant for a bunch of years growing up and I made lots of pizzas. Here are some tips:

Use a wooden peel. Metals peels are to remove pizzas from the oven, wooden are to put them in. (I just use 1 wooden peel).

Flour the peel, not too much but after you rub the flour into the peel it should be whiteish. Its better to put too much than not enough. (But don't go crazy)

Minimize contact time with the peel. Stretch the dough on another surface and only when it's ready should you put it on the peel. Once it's on the peel, the clock is ticking. If you take too long it will stick. Have all your ingredients ready and try to prepare the pizza as quickly as possible.

Once it's ready, I like to grab the peel by the handle with one hand and give it a sharp bump on the side with my palm. The direction of force should be away from you (So you're holding it steady with the handle to prevent it from moving much). It should be forceful enough that the pizza will slide a tiny bit but not so forceful as to make the pizza fall onto the floor :( If the pizza doesn't move at all then it's probably stuck. You might be able to unstick it and add flour and then try again.

After that, bring the pizza to the stone and tilt it slightly and shake as you remove the peel leaving the pizza behind. Quick and forceful motions but not long motions. Try to adjust the motions to keep it circular as you release it.

Good luck! I never use cornmeal, never needed it and I don't like the texture, unless it's deep dish.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Ran outta fuel 6 hours in and finishing beef ribs in the oven :( :( :( :(

Still prolly gonna be good and go some quality smoke and fire in em, but it's a bit like having your laptop battery die halfway through a movie.

Also while I'm here....any advice on keeping a Weber Kettle clean? Should I be using a drip pan? The side that I do my indirect cooking on drips fats and leaves a gnarly layer of ash and assorted grease underneath it to such an extent that I've managed to bend the metal
arm that covers the vent in that third of the grill by turning it while forgetting to have scraped it off. Doesn't really seal anymore (it's not the biggest deal in the world but it would be nice to have a tighter fit), and I can't figure out how to bend it back in place without taking the grill apart which I don't really wanna do.

I suppose the obvious answer is "scrape the inside of your grill more often you dumbass".

e: on the plus side, after 3 more hours in the oven, ribs turned out amazing.

Guajilo chili, coffee and cocoa based rub. I know some people are strict on no sauce for beef, but out of curiosity I sauced two of them lightly with bourbon BBQ sauce I had leftovers of. Ate one of those and it was unreal.

I feel like beef ribs vary wildly depending on who's cutting. These were a pickup from the farmer's marekt, I think they're English style short ribs, but they're cut way wider than I usually find short ribs so you get the real big bad dinosaur bone feel. Super happy with em.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 12, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Also while I'm here....any advice on keeping a Weber Kettle clean? Should I be using a drip pan? The side that I do my indirect cooking on drips fats and leaves a gnarly layer of ash and assorted grease underneath it to such an extent that I've managed to bend the metal
arm that covers the vent in that third of the grill by turning it while forgetting to have scraped it off. Doesn't really seal anymore (it's not the biggest deal in the world but it would be nice to have a tighter fit), and I can't figure out how to bend it back in place without taking the grill apart which I don't really wanna do.
Drip pans are cool, but honestly, heavy-duty tinfoil is probably fine.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Pen Express posted:

Grandville (Rivertown) is the superior Meijer. :)

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
need a second opinion.

im moving my electric smoker from the garage / patio to my screened in porch. (Its screened in on three sides). Should I be concerned with using the smoker on the porch? Or will I likely just smoke stain the celing?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I smoked some wings yesterday.

Patted them dry, did a round of salt and rub from Meat Church, and let them dry overnight in the fridge.

Smoked them on a WSM, ran it pretty hot (above 275 the whole time) with a bit of hickory for about 2 hours, and tossed them in doctored up buffalo sauce. Came out amazing, as always!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CoolHandMat posted:

need a second opinion.

im moving my electric smoker from the garage / patio to my screened in porch. (Its screened in on three sides). Should I be concerned with using the smoker on the porch? Or will I likely just smoke stain the celing?

Your going to get smoke smell everywhere. Stains probably not so much unless you are using a AMAZEn Smoker (which you should be). Can you put it outside when using it? I store mine in my shed and bring it out under the roof overhang when i use it.

Also my biggest fear would be a fire...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Went to my favorite local bbq restaurant today and they had changed my favorite bbq sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that was very sweet and good, I put it on everything (fries, meat, etc). I asked about it and they said it was because the new one was GF and had less sugar in effort to be more healthy. Uh, sir I'm eating a pig covered in more pig (pulled pork with bacon on top) sandwich, that wasn't high on my concerns list. They have almost no "healthy" options so this was high on the :wtc: list.

Anybody have a good mustard based bbq sauce recipe? I tried a couple but none have come close so I'm guessing there must be a pound of sugar in it. :v:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Went to my favorite local bbq restaurant today and they had changed my favorite bbq sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that was very sweet and good, I put it on everything (fries, meat, etc). I asked about it and they said it was because the new one was GF and had less sugar in effort to be more healthy. Uh, sir I'm eating a pig covered in more pig (pulled pork with bacon on top) sandwich, that wasn't high on my concerns list. They have almost no "healthy" options so this was high on the :wtc: list.

Anybody have a good mustard based bbq sauce recipe? I tried a couple but none have come close so I'm guessing there must be a pound of sugar in it. :v:

Ask them for the recipe. Since they don't use it any more maybe they will just give it to you?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I went to a place called A Casa do Porco in São Paulo and it was fantastic.

From tartar to smoked bbq’s pork it was an awesome tribute to a pig.

Not sure if you can see the cracklings here but hot drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pork tartare in South America?

:thunk: