Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's what I assumed but didn't want to assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

tater_salad posted:

That's what I assumed but didn't want to assume.

There's a lot of fat on a packer brisket. If you haven't gotten one before, trim the outer fat layer down to 1/4". Don't be afraid to trim. You will likely end up trimming a pound or two off. There is still a ton of fat in the meat that will render out and make it nice and tender.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Whooping Crabs posted:

From a packer, yes

Yeah, in the past I have actually filled a gallon ziplock bag of trim from a prime costco packer.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Gallatin posted:

Yeah, in the past I have actually filled a gallon ziplock bag of trim from a prime costco packer.

Same. It's sitting in my freezer right now- not totally sure if there's a good use for it- certainly open to suggestions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

Forgot to put my brisket in the smoker last night, so I'm back to doing it at 6AM and hoping it's done by dinner time (like every loving time I make brisket, I never learn :v:). It's only a 7 pound packer (like the veal of beef breast) after trimming so hopefully it works. Gonna up the temp to 275ish and see what happens.
It was good.

Only slightly tougher than usual but the probes psyched me out, so I might have pulled it early. It was reading 190, then I pushed it in further and it said 210. :wtc: I tried several other spots and they all read high so I pulled it, but it still felt tender with the probe so I figured good nuff.

Total cook time was 9 hours at 275-290 and left it to rest for 2 hours, cut it at 165. This was 7lbs after trimming. Everybody says brisket is less forgiving but I swear now I've done it at all temperatures (215-290), crutched and not and it's always good. Way better bark without crutching so I'll keep doing that or try butcher paper maybe, but me and wife are always satisfied.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm back to doing it at 6AM and hoping it's done by dinner time (like every loving time I make brisket, I never learn :v:).

Uh, what's the alternative? Put it on the smoker the night before and hold it if it finishes before dinner?

Asking because I'll be doing a packer brisket for Super Bowl Sunday. Last time we did a small cut of flat, started at 2 AM and it ended up being ready far too early. It just shot past the stall around 1 PM and I ended up having to hold it in the oven and reheat a bit. Could totally have avoided taking shifts checking on the smoker every hour. :negative:

I'd rather avoid waking up at 2 AM again, but I keep reading these 16-20 hour cook times and I'd also rather not run into that and eat at 9 PM long after the game is over.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Jan posted:

Uh, what's the alternative? Put it on the smoker the night before and hold it if it finishes before dinner?

Asking because I'll be doing a packer brisket for Super Bowl Sunday. Last time we did a small cut of flat, started at 2 AM and it ended up being ready far too early. It just shot past the stall around 1 PM and I ended up having to hold it in the oven and reheat a bit. Could totally have avoided taking shifts checking on the smoker every hour. :negative:

I'd rather avoid waking up at 2 AM again, but I keep reading these 16-20 hour cook times and I'd also rather not run into that and eat at 9 PM long after the game is over.

A cooler and a bunch of towels/newspapers/whatever is a great way to hold something until serving. If you're in for a real long haul between when it gets done and when you might be ready to eat, pre-warm the cooler with hot water for a bit.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
Wasn't slow but I bought a rotisserie and smoked/roasted the gently caress out of some pork loin. Used a mixtuer of lump and kingsford applewood charcoal and some applewood chunks. This was easily the best thing I've ever made.

No other photos because I was on the cans and forgot.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Gallatin posted:

Same. It is commical how much excess fat many briskets have.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Veritek83 posted:

Same. It's sitting in my freezer right now- not totally sure if there's a good use for it- certainly open to suggestions.

Two things: if you're in a not-totally-urban area, run it through a food processor until it's in a fairly coarse grain, blend in some bread and seeds and many, many local birds will be grateful. My mom used to buy suet to do this.

Option 2: render that poo poo down for some tallow, nature's most perfect frying media. That's what McD's used to make their fries with and back in the day they were awesome. Then some dick got his panties in a bunch over OMG, this common fried starch is sooo bad for you! And they switched to veg oil. Some site did a comparison for younguns between tallow, oil with flavor and just oil to make McD fries and they couldn't believe how great they were.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

Two things: if you're in a not-totally-urban area, run it through a food processor until it's in a fairly coarse grain, blend in some bread and seeds and many, many local birds will be grateful. My mom used to buy suet to do this.

Option 2: render that poo poo down for some tallow, nature's most perfect frying media. That's what McD's used to make their fries with and back in the day they were awesome. Then some dick got his panties in a bunch over OMG, this common fried starch is sooo bad for you! And they switched to veg oil. Some site did a comparison for younguns between tallow, oil with flavor and just oil to make McD fries and they couldn't believe how great they were.

It also has to do with the fries having been listed as vegan-friendly, when obviously beef tallow is not

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That was after the switch. They tried to get the same flavor from veg oil by adding flavorings which it turned out had been beef derived. That was the "it's not vegan " complaint, since they had already cut the tallow by then.

Also, rendered tallow makes a great roux for beefy dishes that need thickening like stew, stroganoff, shepherd's pie, etc. I always try to use fat from the critter for my roux: turkey fat for gravy, chicken fat for chicken & dumplings, etc. The fat carries a lot of flavor.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

sterster posted:

Be careful taking them out of the bath/bag. They will most likely fall apart if I had to guess. I try to use my really long tongs to grab the length of rips from one end to the other. ( note these are pork rips so maybe you won't have the same problem.)
Also you better post picture.

(Reheated) Trip Report Pics:

72 hours in the puddle, 20 minute ice bath, 30 minute smoke, tossed in the fridge in a tupperware, fridged for 2 days, resealed and puddled at 144F for an hour, seared in a smoking hot cast iron...Gonna call it a success.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 28, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jan posted:

The very sentence you quoted says "I forgot to put it on last night" :v: I usually do this before I go to bed since mine holds temps very well once it's set up. Fill the water pan to the brim and then lights out.

Yeah, for larger packers I've had them take up to 26 hours on the smoker if I was doing it at 225ish. People say 1-2 hours per pound, but it's always closer to 2 in my experience if I'm doing it at 225. Always put it on sooner than you think you should and just rest it in a cooler if it finishes early. I prefer that to "crank the heat up, everybody is loving starving" and then it gets little or no rest time. Generally I don't like to crutch mine either (that delicious bark) so I expect them to take longer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrUnderbridge posted:

It was a sad day when did away with the fried apple pies.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm thinking of smoking a turkey this weekend. Anyone got any good tips?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Brine it (ie: generous sprinkle of kosher salt all over/inside/under skin) 24-48hr in advance and store in the fridge. Throw some spices/herbs (no additional salt needed) on it and smoke it at like 275-300f (poultry doesn't need low+slow).

Take it out and if the skin isn't great, just blast in an oven for like 10min to crisp it up.

Then slice and enjoy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Spatchcock it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

unknown posted:

Brine it (ie: generous sprinkle of kosher salt all over/inside/under skin) 24-48hr in advance and store in the fridge. Throw some spices/herbs (no additional salt needed) on it and smoke it at like 275-300f (poultry doesn't need low+slow).

Take it out and if the skin isn't great, just blast in an oven for like 10min to crisp it up.

Then slice and enjoy.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Spatchcock it.

Everything you need is right here.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Everything you need is right here.

Yes, doing either of things and taking the time to do to a little carefully will yield a Great Dish You Will Remember

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Ribs and wings on the WSM over the weekend. So drat good!

Wings were dry brined over night, light rub of the classic Butt Rub, and smoked with mesquite. Toss with our version of a buffalo sauce which is always killer.

Ribs were un-trimmed spares, also rubbed with Butt Rub, smoked with apple and a bit of mesquite as well. Perfect amount of chew to them, they turned out delicious as always.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Absolutely dry brine + spatchcock, makes things so good.

Just be careful not to let temps get too high. You can cook poultry all the way up to 350 or so, but if you use a rub with any sugar in it (I think some brown sugar goes really well in a rub, so) then letting the cooker go over that will char the gently caress out of the sugar in the rub and you'll be sad.

325 was totally fine for cook speed + moist juicyness + not turning the skin totally black.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I like birds at 325. It's a nice happy medium with getting the skin somewhat decent and juicy (of course the juicy part is make sure you have the meat temp nailed.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Only other thing I'd note with turkey is that it might take a few tries to find a good place to put your temp probe if you have a smoke thermometer or something. If it looks like your cook is going way way too fast you have to go and poke the bird a bunch to find the coldest spot to make sure you're getting the whole thing up to 150f. Compared to a pork butt or brisket where you can just slap that sucker right in the middle and know you're getting a good reading.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 28, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Right, always nice to stab it with an instapen a few times on something you can rely on for a good temp vs. the usual smoker probes. A few degrees off on poultry can ruin a few persons' day.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Suburban Dad posted:

The very sentence you quoted says "I forgot to put it on last night" :v: I usually do this before I go to bed since mine holds temps very well once it's set up. Fill the water pan to the brim and then lights out.

Yeah, I thought as much, I just wanted to clarify. If I'd done that with the brisket flat I had last time, it'd have finished way too early... Putting the brisket on the night before also sounded like it'd finish too early. But I think for a super bowl afternoon hangout kind of thing, it won't matter as much.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The smoker's creed is "best laid plans..." and there you are staring at a chunk of meat and a deadline due tomorrow and wondering how you are going to pull it off.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s everyone doing for Super Bowl Day? I’m smoking a bunch of chicken wings.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Well most of America hopes LA falls into the ocean and Brady can too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress the NFL forever

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress the NFL forever

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, but it gave us the national treasure that is Puppy Bowl.

The commercials aren't as fancy, but those players!:swoon:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What woods are good for fish steaks and mushrooms? I’m thinking oak, cherry, and alder.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cedar is common when smoking salmon.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I often do pecan for fish.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Made bacon for the first time!

Picked up some great looking belly and for my first go at this I followed this recipe: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-bacon/

After a week in the fridge, I got the Green Egg going at ~200˚F with some oak lump charcoal and chunks of apple and cherry and smoked each until they hit 150˚F internal.

After ~3 hours, I pulled both and chilled them in the fridge and then freezer before slicing. I left one slab whole and vacuum sealed that for later. I sliced the other and vacuumed up half of the slices for the freezer as well.

I fried up a few slices but they didn't last long enough for pictures. Overall, this was pretty simple and the bacon is delicious. I really want to try some other recipes and seasonings to see what you can do with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Both times I’ve made bacon it ended up too salty. I’ll try that recipe next time!

And yes, you found some very nice belly!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Both times I’ve made bacon it ended up too salty. I’ll try that recipe next time!

And yes, you found some very nice belly!

I think this recipe is a solid start and I rinsed it very well to make sure I got as much salt off as possible. And yeah, I have an awesome butcher near me that asked what I wanted the belly for and when I said bacon, he went back and cut it fresh off a pig they had in the back.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Random Hero posted:

I think this recipe is a solid start and I rinsed it very well to make sure I got as much salt off as possible. And yeah, I have an awesome butcher near me that asked what I wanted the belly for and when I said bacon, he went back and cut it fresh off a pig they had in the back.

Beauty of a bacon. Since once it's smoked, it's technically cooked, did you try any "raw"? Always wanted to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

baquerd posted:

Beauty of a bacon. Since once it's smoked, it's technically cooked, did you try any "raw"? Always wanted to do that.

Yeah, I did. It was very "hammy" and didn't have near as much chew as I was expecting.