Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I want to get it nice and hot to kill off any microbes clinging to life in there.

Regular old firewood seems like the best solution.
You're not trying to kill thermophiles, there's a reason the food safety guidance is 165 degrees for 15 seconds. It's one thing if you're trying to carbonize mold or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I think wood burns too hot and can damage a smoker/grill. You should really only burn charcoal in there. It'll still kill the mold pretty dead.

edit: I'm dumb, I don't actually know why I've seen it recommended not to burn firewood in a smoker.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 11, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone here is saying to have a raging inferno, just pop some wood in like you would when smoking and open the vents. Any grill/smoker that's not an immediate fire hazard should be able to contain the heat generated with all vents open by design.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Infinite Karma posted:

I think wood burns too hot and can damage a smoker/grill. You should really only burn charcoal in there..

:thunk:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Yeah...me too.

Charcoal burns hotter than wood. Just fyi.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ZombieCrew posted:

Yeah...me too.

Charcoal burns hotter than wood. Just fyi.
That's what I get for repeating something without checking it, my bad, I'm dumb

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Decided to get the Big Joe from Atlanta Grilling Company since someone on reddit pointed out that the Kamado Joe Costco roadshow events are no longer listed. It's $1499 for the BJII once you are in checkout which I think is better or the same as the roadshow price.

Now I need to get charcoal and probably some accessories soon after! Oh and meat.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have seen drunk people use weber kettles as a firepit at campgrounds and festivals.

If you fill it with logs like a firepit you will get it hot enough to burn through the thin sheet metal weber uses.

However if you use a log or 2 in a kettle or smoker and have them on the charcoal grate it won't get hot enough to cause damage.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

um excuse me posted:

I don't think anyone here is saying to have a raging inferno

I'm sure I've read a post here where someone did exactly this. They loaded up their WSM with firewood and the resulting inferno broke their smoker. IIRC it just killed the enamel paint and warped the steel.

Personally, I wouldn't trust trying to burn out mold and would just give it a good cleaning with soap and the garden hose.. Just don't do what I did and use a powerful degreaser on the grass. I had to reseed that spot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you guys leave your Weber grills outside or is that asking to get robbed

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yes, but the only robbers I have to worry about are masked bandits aka raccoons. Those little bastards make such as mess if I forget to clean out the drippings tray.

gently caress you Bert.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Steve Yun posted:

I've left my webber kettle outside for 6 or more years without any problems from animal or man. That said, your location makes all the difference.

Part of that time I had a very enclosed yard which protected from people of course, but not animals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's crazy to imagine someone coming into my backyard to steal a grill, but I live in an area where a package can sit on your porch all day long without worry of getting stolen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grills are haeavy and big to steal, you can only like take what 1-2 in a pickup, plus you look suspicious as poo poo with 3 new lookign grills in the back. Then you gotta sell that poo poo locally, which means craiglist / Facebook marketplace which cops can find the grill sellers on. Theives around here just take amazon boxes and rifle through cars for change / cellphones.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 11, 2021

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

grills are haeavy and big to steal, you can only like take what 1-2 in a pickup, plus you look suspicious as poo poo with 3 new lookign grills in the back. Then you gotta sell that poo poo locally, which means craiglist / Facebook marketplace which cops can find the grill sellers on. Theives around here just take amazon boxes and rifle through cars for change / cellphones.

Nothing is too big, heavy or conspicuous to steal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Scrap metal collectors can go to extremes

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Someone would defiantly run off with it if I had it in my front yard but no one is going in the back yard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dukket posted:

Nothing is too big, heavy or conspicuous to steal.

absolutely, just ask the guys who stole my BGE out of my driveway :|

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

absolutely, just ask the guys who stole my BGE out of my driveway :|

:(

That sux

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have a wifi thermometer recommendation? I have a Thermopro TP20 which is like the best of the best, but it's not wifi. Now that I'm getting a Kamado for smoking, I feel like seeing that data logged over time would be important. Maybe not?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dukket posted:

:(

That sux

yeah its lame but it was a few years ago, i got some money from insurance and put it towards an XL BGE

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone here ever used a rotisserie? I just bought one for my Weber kettle and I can't wait to try it out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I could be wrong, but I think that's a direct heat tool. Get that nice crispy skin all the way around something. I'd be thrilled to try that on a 400 degree grill with a well seasoned chicken.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I like the kettle and the WSM outside without a problem, though I have a private patio with an 8 foot cinder block wall someone would have to scale to get in. And the bikes are certainly much more interesting targets if they went to that trouble.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some motherfucker wants to come try to drag my large BGE out of the back yard and past the garbage cans in the alley between the houses, I wish them luck and hope they get caught on camera for my later enjoyment. Homeowner’s insurance has me covered.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
My dad poured a small concrete slab and stuck a metal loop in it to chain his weber gas grill down. The downfall of that grill was a tumble out of someones truck when he volunteered to grill for charity. Broke the lid off at the hinges. I never saw him so mad. I also have never seen someone slam and toss a heavy grill lid like that.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Someone near me is selling a lovely Weber natural gas grill at a great price. Only problem is that NG is not available in our province, and Weber no longer sells conversion kits. If you look on ebay you can find some dodgy kits out of China, but any reputable manufacturer doesn't make them anymore.

If you know what you're doing I'm sure you could source the individual parts and do it yourself, but I wouldn't take the risk.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a wifi thermometer recommendation? I have a Thermopro TP20 which is like the best of the best, but it's not wifi. Now that I'm getting a Kamado for smoking, I feel like seeing that data logged over time would be important. Maybe not?

I love my fireboard

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Canuckistan posted:

Someone near me is selling a lovely Weber natural gas grill at a great price. Only problem is that NG is not available in our province, and Weber no longer sells conversion kits. If you look on ebay you can find some dodgy kits out of China, but any reputable manufacturer doesn't make them anymore.

If you know what you're doing I'm sure you could source the individual parts and do it yourself, but I wouldn't take the risk.

Actually pretty easy to do on older units (I've done it) - weber actually used to sell the full kit to do it. Biggest issue is the valves on the manifold. Some were okay with controlling the volume of either gas, others were designed for natural gas primarily (NG valves on LP basically only work as on/off) and replacing the manifold is expensive.

That being said, it's generally not worth doing unless the grill is very cheap/good value and you like repairing things.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dango Bango posted:

Has anyone here ever used a rotisserie? I just bought one for my Weber kettle and I can't wait to try it out.

I'm about to buy one as well, but probably that cheap Onlyfire version from Amazon since it's half the price of the real Weber and supposedly the new revision fits better than the real deal anyway.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm about to buy one as well, but probably that cheap Onlyfire version from Amazon since it's half the price of the real Weber and supposedly the new revision fits better than the real deal anyway.

This is exactly the one I just bought. Along with a grill cover since Amazon has a deal where it's 5% off if you order two Onlyfire items.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Thermoworks is doing an open box sale with some decent deals, if anyone is looking for some gear.

https://www.thermoworks.com/open-box-special-mar21

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dango Bango posted:

This is exactly the one I just bought. Along with a grill cover since Amazon has a deal where it's 5% off if you order two Onlyfire items.

Nice, please let us know how it goes when you use it first.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ada shatan posted:

Thermoworks is doing an open box sale with some decent deals, if anyone is looking for some gear.

https://www.thermoworks.com/open-box-special-mar21

Absolutely hell yea. Thanks for sharing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mother fucker. The lid on my wsm fell and got a dent in it, cracking the porcelain near the temp gauge.

It was a bit out of round but I was able to fix that so no smoke leaks out of the bottom, but the porcelain is gone in the outside in a 3” crack. The metal is fine though/just bent in.

I guess I can pound it out a bit and spray it with some high temp engine block paint to prevent rusting, right?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If it's worth it to you, take it to an auto body shop to pull the dent/reround it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My friend who goes to another school you wouldn't know him mom decided to start a wood campfire inside my smoker. Not a good idea, apparently (even aside from the very obvious "black wood smoke going directly into the meat" aspect):

Two questions:

1. Is this likely to damage the smoker? Melt anything important and render it inoperable?

2. The video she got the idea from involved a wood fire under a small cast iron smoker. Would that even sorta work with this tin (?) big guy, or would that just melt it completely?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

:sever:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just got out of the ER after being intubated for a piece of rib getting stuck in my throat.

Chew your meat kids...no matter how delicious it tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

nwin posted:

Just got out of the ER after being intubated for a piece of rib getting stuck in my throat.

Chew your meat kids...no matter how delicious it tastes.

I mean, if one must gag on meat...