Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They sell those gasket kits for the WSM, I think someone (possibly me even) posted it earlier in the thread. Let me see if I can find it.

edit: It was indeed me:

McSpankWich posted:

and if you want to just sure up the seals instead http://www.bbqgaskets.com/catalog_4.html

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
On Saturday afternoon I decided to smoke a brisket flat in my MB electric smoker.

I let it sit overnight in the fridge before cutting it up Sunday morning.

I kept a little of it for tacos & a sandwich or two and the rest went into a chili with all of this. I only used one of the garlic clusters though.

All the veggies and the pork sausage to start.

Andoullie & beef sausages and the brisket.

I ended up having to split some off into a 2nd pot because it filled my pot to the brim and I didn't want it to bubble over. I let it simmer for about 8 hours.

The final product.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Here's the pork from last night.

Also made coleslaw, pickles, sauce, and bread rolls from scratch.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I finally got to test out my new Weber SM this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with the results. Started off pretty simple, just a bunch of chicken thighs, but I was really happy with the result so I'm planning on doing a pork shoulder this coming weekend before a poker game.

Could anyone tell me how doing 2 shoulders will effect the overall cooktime versus one (if at all)? I've read anywhere between 1-2 hours per pound at about 225 for one and wasn't sure if you would just use the total weight of both or some other way. I realize it's not always super exact, and a lot of variables could effect it. I'd like the pork to be ready at a specific time to feed guests and since it will be my first shoulder I wanted to time it appropriately. I haven't bought the meat yet so I don't the exact weight but I'm planning to have leftovers. I'm prepared to start it as early as necessary.

Second question: So far at the moment all I have access to is smaller wood chips of apple and mesquite. The first time I just threw a bunch on the coals during the smoke but I imagine there is a better way. Any advice on that would also be appreciated.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm prepared to start it as early as necessary.

Start it a couple hours early because it is easier to keep it warm than to make it cook faster because everyone is here and oh god no food. There are plenty of posts talking about wrapping it in foil and a towel and putting it in a cooler or the oven to keep until people arrive.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I did two at once about three weeks ago, they were around 10 and 12lbs each or so. The smaller one on the top rack took about 12 hours, and the larger on the bottom took 14. I don't foil my shoulders though, so it would take significantly less time if you did that.

Also the guy above me is right, always overestimate. I told my guests the food would be done at the 16 hour mark.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The only difference I've seen when cooking lots of meat is that essentially the meat acts like a heatsink and more meat = more time/fuel to come up to temperature. When I fill my 22.5 with pork it takes a long fricking time to hit 250. I don't use anything in the water pan when the smoker is loaded.

For chips, soak in water for a few hours, or at least 30 min, and put into a foil pouch. Poke a few holes in it and put on top of the coals.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

For chips, soak in water for a few hours, or at least 30 min, and put into a foil pouch. Poke a few holes in it and put on top of the coals.

Soaking chips is snake oil, don't bother.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Man, I'm loving my WSM. What a great investment. Haven't had enough time to do too many long smokes. I did one brisket and finished in the oven and it turned out perfectly. And have done chicken several times. I just want to smoke everything!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Woof! Woof! posted:

Soaking chips is snake oil, don't bother.

I've heard that smoking chunks is worthless but I thought soaking chips had merit.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I've heard that smoking chunks is worthless but I thought soaking chips had merit.

Basically it just delays the same results and makes it super hard to control the heat of your smoker.
That stall is around 212 degrees, the boiling point of water, and basically it sticks there till all the water evaporates.
Any steam you see during that stall around 212 is steam, not smoke.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 30, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hey smoking guys... In my restaurant people have a strong desire for brisket and buy it all the time. I hate making brisket. Is there a better easier cut to smoke? Is shoulder clod easier and less finicky? Anything?

I loving hate brisket.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Tri-tip takes about 1/10th the time of brisket, is great on sandwiches, and is fairly easy to cook. But its also roughly double the price of brisket and can be hard to find outside of the West Coast.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Hi friends, I'm looking for a multipurpose grill. Dude in the OP is jerking off to his BGE and while they do own, I can't get one. Should I just get that Weber bullet that this thread loves?

To be clear, the most important goal is to do low and slow but the significant other will occasionally want to let her rip and grill food in a high heat environment.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How hot is high heat to you? WSM isn't getting that hot in my experience.

I mean you can crouch on the ground and grill steaks on it but that heat isn't touching BGE level.

It's a hell of a low and slow smoker though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

Hi friends, I'm looking for a multipurpose grill. Dude in the OP is jerking off to his BGE and while they do own, I can't get one. Should I just get that Weber bullet that this thread loves?

To be clear, the most important goal is to do low and slow but the significant other will occasionally want to let her rip and grill food in a high heat environment.

Have you tried looking for a used one? I've gotten a few loving awesome deals on BGEs on craigslist. RSS autosearch is your friend.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Woof! Woof! posted:

Basically it just delays the same results and makes it super hard to control the heat of your smoker.
That stall is around 212 degrees, the boiling point of water, and basically it sticks there till all the water evaporates.
Any steam you see during that stall around 212 is steam, not smoke.

:science: This is excellent. Thanks. :science:

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Paper With Lines posted:

There's not really an option here for you other than either an expensive BGE or a more expensive Offset Smoker.
You could theoretically remove the water pan on a WSM and get direct heat, but you'll be so far from the coals it won't be worth it.

I'd consider just saving more for a small grill, as well.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Woof! Woof! posted:

You could theoretically remove the water pan on a WSM and get direct heat, but you'll be so far from the coals it won't be worth it.

I used to do this with my cheapo brinkman vertical smoker, and it worked very well for deer/pork/chicken/sausages. I don't care for steak(or beef in general) though, so if that's your aim ymmv.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Paper With Lines posted:

Since a BGE is out of the running, I'd just recommend going with the WSM and then buying an appropriate sized weber kettle for your needs.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone used the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER with an electric smoker like the MB 40"? I know someone posted about it a while back. Just wondering if it actually helps get more smoke in an electric.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Alas. I'll probably just do this thing:

niss posted:

Since a BGE is out of the running, I'd just recommend going with the WSM and then buying an appropriate sized weber kettle for your needs.

but thanks all.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

Trastion posted:

Has anyone used the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER with an electric smoker like the MB 40"? I know someone posted about it a while back. Just wondering if it actually helps get more smoke in an electric.

I use the original a-maze-n pellet tray with my (newer model) 40" MB and it works great. I set it at the lower left under the water pan area with the outer wood chip cute pulled out about an inch and a half. I normally light it from both ends to extra smokify things.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Cyborganizer posted:

I use the original a-maze-n pellet tray with my (newer model) 40" MB and it works great. I set it at the lower left under the water pan area with the outer wood chip cute pulled out about an inch and a half. I normally light it from both ends to extra smokify things.

Do you only use that then? Or still use the electrics box for chips too? Does it give more smoke flavor and better smoke ring penetration?

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

Trastion posted:

Do you only use that then? Or still use the electrics box for chips too? Does it give more smoke flavor and better smoke ring penetration?

I just use the a-maze-n and it gives off plenty of smoke if your airflow is right. You'll never get a true "smoke ring" in an electric, but you'll definitely get the flavor.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's more to it than that. I get nice smoke rings on my Traeger which is electric.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Cyborganizer posted:

I just use the a-maze-n and it gives off plenty of smoke if your airflow is right. You'll never get a true "smoke ring" in an electric, but you'll definitely get the flavor.

I get pretty good smoke rings with my GMG pellet electric at work. Although I smoke brisket for 14 hours on the thing.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
I could never get the AMNPS to frigging light in my MES 30.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Chemmy posted:

There's more to it than that. I get nice smoke rings on my Traeger which is electric.

Nitric Oxide and Carbon Monoxide are what produce smoke rings, these two compounds adhear to myoglobin in the meat and oxidize it, keeping in pink even after the myoglobin in the rest of the meat breaks down. The ring is formed because NO/CO do not penetrate beyond a half and inch into meat at the concentrations normally provided by smokers. Of course nitrites can impart fully pink coloration (such as in salt cured pastrami), but smokers won't.

Anyways, Traeger's are not the same as regular electric smokers. They are built different, use different fuel, and do so at different temps. Traeger heat elements get much hotter and actually combust the pellet wood added to them. Electric smokers do not achieve the necessary temps to produce NO/CO exhaust at a significant level from the wood chips they smolder. Pellet Smokers are often 500-1000 degrees hotter at the point of combustion than an electric smoker is. So basically, a conventional electric hotplate smoker will produce about 2ppm of NO and a pellet smoker will produce 25-50ppm.

So, electric smokers as defined as hot plate chip smokers, do in fact fail to produce significant smoke rings - even though your electric Traeger does.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012
Hey goons, please excuse me for being a total noob, but what exactly is a stoker and how does it work?

At first glance it seems like a fan controlled by a thermostat that will either blow on the coals to heat them or not to let them cool. Is that right?

Thanks, and bring on the trolling lol

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Element1290 posted:

Hey goons, please excuse me for being a total noob, but what exactly is a stoker and how does it work?

At first glance it seems like a fan controlled by a thermostat that will either blow on the coals to heat them or not to let them cool. Is that right?

Thanks, and bring on the trolling lol

Yep you're correct.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Woof! Woof! posted:

Nitric Oxide and Carbon Monoxide are what produce smoke rings, these two compounds adhear to myoglobin in the meat and oxidize it, keeping in pink even after the myoglobin in the rest of the meat breaks down. The ring is formed because NO/CO do not penetrate beyond a half and inch into meat at the concentrations normally provided by smokers. Of course nitrites can impart fully pink coloration (such as in salt cured pastrami), but smokers won't.

Anyways, Traeger's are not the same as regular electric smokers. They are built different, use different fuel, and do so at different temps. Traeger heat elements get much hotter and actually combust the pellet wood added to them. Electric smokers do not achieve the necessary temps to produce NO/CO exhaust at a significant level from the wood chips they smolder. Pellet Smokers are often 500-1000 degrees hotter at the point of combustion than an electric smoker is. So basically, a conventional electric hotplate smoker will produce about 2ppm of NO and a pellet smoker will produce 25-50ppm.

So, electric smokers as defined as hot plate chip smokers, do in fact fail to produce significant smoke rings - even though your electric Traeger does.

Huh... Must be why my GMG makes a smoke ring as well. It has a big rear end glow plug that burns the pellets with a worm drive and a hopper that feeds them in and a fan that kicks on to control the temp and smoke.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

BulimicGoat posted:

Don't lite it in your MES. Lite it outside, let it burn with a flame for a few minutes, blow it out and THEN put it in your MES. You actually need to make enough coals at the end of the row with the pellets to sustain it smoldering away while cooking. Also, crack open your wood chip slot an inch or so to let in more oxygen to keep it burning away.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Woof! Woof! posted:

I guess I didn't know that other electric smokers worked crummier than the Traeger.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Chemmy posted:

I guess I didn't know that other electric smokers worked crummier than the Traeger.

The good news is that you own a relatively nice smoker (for a pellet smoker WHICH loving SUCKSSSS STICK BURNING FOREVER)

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

BulimicGoat posted:

I have this problem in my regular smoker when I'm also using charcoal. It's great for cold smoking, but completely refuses to work for me when I'm doing a shoulder or ribs or whatever, unless I put it on the rack above the coals, which also doesn't provide the intended results, but it makes smoke for a couple of hours. I just mix the pellets in with the charcoal, and that seems to do the trick for most things.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I chose the Traeger because I live in a townhouse and the rules explicitly forbid non electric smokers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chemmy posted:

I chose the Traeger because I live in a townhouse and the rules explicitly forbid non electric smokers.

I chose a GMG because I don't have time to gently caress around with fire while I'm running a restaurant. Electric smokers FTW.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Woof! Woof! posted:

The good news is that you own a relatively nice smoker (for a pellet smoker WHICH loving SUCKSSSS STICK BURNING FOREVER)

Bah. I have a Rec Tec pellet smoker and a WSM. They both make fantastic BBQ, but I like the Rec Tec far more just because of convenience. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

I was just kidding you guys don't need to get all Real Talk.