Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I posted in the product recommendation thread as well, but anyone with a Weber kettle grill should consider the Smokenator 1000. Yes, the name is a bit silly, but this thing works as advertised. I did a 9 pound pork shoulder in 50 degree weather with 25MPH winds and kept a steady temp on it for 8 hours. (It started getting dark so I finished in the oven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

MoosetheMooche posted:

A few questions, since I'm about to purchase this beginner smoker: Master Forge Charcoal Smoker from Lowes.

What tools will I need to start my first smoke, other than charcoal and wood?
Do I need some kind of charcoal starter (I was raised with propane)?

You'll want a chimney style starter. They look like a giant coffee can with a handle.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Is a new thermometer absolutely necessary and if so, what type?
You should have two thermometers. One to keep track of the air temp in your smoker and one to read the temp of your target meat. Your smoker may have a thermometer on it, and it will probably work for your first couple of smokes, but they're not to be trusted.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Is pulled pork a good thing to try my first smoke or is something with shorter cook time like chicken or ribs much easier for a beginner?

I did a pork shoulder for my first smoke. It took almost 10 hours. But smoking isn't about instant gratification. I'd say the pork is just fine for a first trip.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Finally, do you guys have any good bbq sauce recipes you like to use? What buns do you recommend for pulled pork sandwiches? I think the traditional is just plain white bread but I had a sandwich on a nice sweet brioche bun and it was delicious.

Check for a local bakery that makes soft rolls. Much better than white bread or grocery store buns.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I smoked my first butt a month or so ago, and like Canuckistan said, its very forgiving. It started getting really cold near the end of the smoke, so I finished mine off in the oven.