Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

PainBreak posted:

words

Mid-Level: Weber Smokey Mountain

Pros: Everything the Brinkmann does, but better; more efficient design and larger fire pan means 11-12 hours between firepan reloads; adjustable air vents means that with practice, you can hold a range steady temps without a water pan in place (allows for smoking poultry at a higher temperature)

Cons: $300

words

At the end of summer, watch your local stores for the Smokey Mountains. I got my WSM 18" for $150 at Home Depot. It was a steal.

nummy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Canuckistan posted:

Good call on the 18. I have the 22 since I occasionally cook for 15-20 people but the extra fuel use sucks when I'm cooking just for myself.

Sears Canada used to carry the WSM series and if you can catch one on sale they were quite a bit cheaper than Home Depot.

I second the 18" WSM. You can really cook a good amount of food on it. I love mine.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

jonathan posted:

Doing my first brisket tonight. Going to do 3 hours on the smoker, then foil and put in the oven until the thermometer says 200f.

Doing to do a basic rub, salt, pepper, cayenne and mustard.

Some things I am unclear on:

I don't have a means to inject the meat. Is this a deal breaker ?

Some videos on YouTube show people using beer or other things as a liquid that they put on in the foil. Does this help with tenderness or just cook time ?

I haven't done a ton of briskets, but my last turned out fantastic.

I inject mine with au jus and some other stuff, but it really isn't necessary. I didn't foil my first 2 briskets. They sucked - could never get them past the stall in a timely manner, so we would eat them too early. Way too tough. Foiling is the way to go and gets it up to temp much faster. Getting the meat beyond the stall = tenderness. I think most people add liquid when they foil just to help keep it moist.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

And no other people telling me it needs to be done now. I noticed the brisket seemed to have run into a stall wrt temperature and should probably have been foiled and given more time to get to 185F or more, it was stalled at 170.

Yup. I hear ya there.. That's why my first briskets sucked. I wasn't on MY schedule.

Pretty much everyone says that the meat doesn't take any more smoke after about 4 hours, so that's usually when I foil. If I want a good bark, take the foil off after it reaches temp and let it go for another half hour - 45 minutes.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

Got my WSM set up yesterday. Thinking I'm gonna try some chicken and pork butt this weekend. Anyone have a guide/scale for how much charcoal to use for a given time length? As I understand it chicken is pretty quick relatively (2-3 hours). I would hate to waste 12-15 hours with of charcoal to do them.

I did a pork shoulder, brisket and turkey breast one year for Thanksgiving. The pork shoulder and brisket were put on early in the morning. About 3 hours before dinner time, I put the turkey on to start getting some smoke. An hour later I took the pork and brisket off to rest in a cooler, and let the temp climb to better suit the turkey.

It's not hard, just takes some planning.

As for worrying about wasting charcoal - it's cheap.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

Anyone done deer on their smoker? I got a number buddy getting me some cuts and don't know how best to do it. Just jerky? A whole roast? :iiam:

I bet you could wrap a tenderloin in bacon, and smoke it at a higher heat and it would turn out decent. Like Crazy Dutchman said, it's pretty lean, so you'd have to be careful with it.

What about a neck roast? That might be pretty good smoked.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

jonathan posted:

So smoked turkey... Is the white meat juicy and/or tender ?

Or does the smoking just add flavour ?

Ive had deep fried turkey before which is the best so far.

What about smoking individual pieces or a quartered turkey ?

I haven't done a full turkey, but I have cooked a few turkey breast roasts. They come out fantastic. Juicy, tender, little bit of smoke flavor...

The problem with a whole turkey is that different parts finish before others. By the time the dark meat is ready to eat, the white meat is overcooked.

Try a breast roast. They cook quick and taste great.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

LTBS posted:

I didn't have this problem at all. It was all juicy and had a good smoke flavor. I used apple wood for the smoke on the turkey and it was perfect.

I did pull it off of the smoker when the breast was at 165F.

Nice. Like I said, I haven't done a whole turkey. That's just what I had heard. As far as I'm concerned though, smoked turkey is the only way to go. Deep fried is good too, but smoked is better. If it isn't smoked or deep fried, don't eat it!

I think I used apple as well, though there is a chance it could have been cherry.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

bunnielab posted:

Behold my Cold Smoker Mk 1!

I haven't been happy with how my bacon comes out when I hot smoke it and I had all these block laying around and a free weekend so here we are. It is ugly as sin but it does work. It is way too fussy to control the air intake so Mk 2 will have an improved opening/vent for the fire box.

I have never attempted this before and would love any advice involving time, temp, and air control.

Holy crap! What a mess.

I love it.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Cimber posted:

I would imagine lamb shanks smoked with hickory wood would be fantastic.

Ooh.. I bet that would be great.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

This link should have everything you need: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wheels.html

Does anybody have any tips on adding lit coals to a WSM 18.5"? That little door is just a fire hazard waiting to happen. Even replacing the water pan with a smaller one, there isn't enough space to dump lit coals from a chimney safely through the door. Maybe some kind of funneling system?

I lift the whole drat center section off the bottom, add coals, and replace.

Takes 10 seconds.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I'm guessing you take the food and the water pan out separately? Doesn't it take a while to get back up to temp afterwards?

Nope.

First - I don't use water in the water pan, so I'm not worried about spilling that or the weight it would add.

Second, I haven't had any issues with the grates being held up. I keep all the food on and whatnot. Works great.

If you're concerned, try it a few times before your cook to make sure it's all fitting together correctly and not in danger of falling apart. If you've assembled it correctly, I'm not sure how the grates would fall out at all. It shouldn't be that loose.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

The 18.5" model is 300 and worth every penny. I occasionally long for the larger version but for most anything done ibn a back yard the 18.5 handles with ease.

A few days ago at WalMart I found out that they make a 14.5" WSM for $199. Have they always had that, or is it new?

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Woof! Woof! posted:

The good news is that you own a relatively nice smoker (for a pellet smoker WHICH loving SUCKSSSS STICK BURNING FOREVER)

Bah. I have a Rec Tec pellet smoker and a WSM. They both make fantastic BBQ, but I like the Rec Tec far more just because of convenience. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

I own one and love it.

I have a WSM as well. Love the WSM, but the RecTec is way more convenient and makes drat good BBQ. When I want a heavier smoke flavor, I just add a tube smoker. Works great.