Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Where do you guys get wood chips locally? I'm inspired to smoke something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

Where do you guys get wood chips locally? I'm inspired to smoke something...

Welp! Probably oversmoked and definitely didn't leave it on the grill for long enough.

Temp control on a regular old Weber was *way* more difficult than I thought it would be. Giving it enough air to keep the coals going made it too hot (seemed to hover around 300F), and anything less was killing the fire.

I had to finish the pork in the oven, but it actually turned out to be not too bad.

I think I'm going to have to throw a pan of water in for the next go 'round, and I need to tap a hole in the lid, so I can get a thermometer in there. The oven thermometer I put on the grill got smoked along with the meat :doh:.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Good stuff. Increasing smoke and salt is easy for next time. Tender brisket is trickier, so you licked the hard part.

Whats the trick for more smoke flavor? More chips? I did a pork shoulder this weekend, and it turned out ok, but I wouldn't mind stronger smoke. I tossed a handful of chips in every 30min or so for the first couple hours (propane smoker). Is there a better way to do it?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Just use more chips. It's very easy to over smoke so the fact that your cooks aren't smoky enough means you're being very conservative.

Alrighty, doing some ribs this weekend, I'll use more chips.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

coronaball posted:

It's much easier to oversmoke ribs than it is a pork shoulder. You still need to be judicious about how much wood you're putting in, and you shouldn't need any after the first 60-90 minutes.

Good to know. I'm still figuring this out, which is half the fun.