Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He's referencing the plateau which may or may not happen at a different temp at altitude (I'd guess not, but the quicker loss of moisture may)

Ultimately the temp at which it occurs doesn't matter so long as you're monitoring it, you'll see it occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The internal temp probe is what you use to monitor for the plateau. Let us know, but from a quick search I suspect not as nobody mentioned a change in the plateau. People do cite having dryer meat than sea level. Some compensate with a waterpan, slightly higher heat (i.e. 250 instead of 225), foiling early or basting during cooking.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes, I do. I missed your post about already doing the beef so I thought we were all in hypothetical. You got the stall about where I'd expect it, so no worries there. The dryness would have occurred due to the comparatively higher moisture loss after the stall. Did you tent it with foil at any point? That'll really help block convection as Vulture pointed out.

I have no idea how a dry age like a steak would work out, unless I'm doing a brine or wetmop I try to age my beef in the fridge uncovered for a day or two for better bark.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

lol if you don't buy bbq shredding claws just because they're metal as hell

This is all I'm asking for. Decent insulated gloves with a non-cloth surface, that I can use for pulling bones out of hot meat, among other things.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a certain set of gloves they prefer, since Amazon has a bunch with 5-star reviews but a lot of them only have like 2-4 reviews total.

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

those were goon recommended like 2 years ago.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you want them nonslick as you're using them to directly handle the meat? Their sole purpose is handling that and that only. The ones you linked would be good for handling a steel or cast iron on the grill.

/e- Look at the orange pair if you want something textured, but you will not want cloth for handling the food directly, pretty gross. The only review I see mentioning that they're hard to clean is throwing them in the wash when you should be able to clean with water + soap only...

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It seems to be more of what you want, but there are likely better silicone gloves.

/e- The question is do you want a multipurpose glove or something that will help preserve the integrity of your bark.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 27, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wrong thread

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

That's my point. You're losing out on the unique characteristics of SV when you smoke it after for that long. What's the point of SVing first if you end up with something on with with a traditionally smoked result?

The difference between the 140 SV finished ribs coming out of the water, and the resulting ribs after smoking for 3 hours is the same difference as a medium steak and a well done steak. Embrace the 140 SV characteristics. Don't smoke them back above that temp.

no, the break down on a pure smoke still requires you to get past a plateau which SV avoids entirely.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Sure, but you're getting past the stall turning collagen into gelatin either way. You accomplish the same results, connective tissue broken down, meat cooked to above 160f (well done), just using different methods, so what's the point? I guess if someone only wants to have to smoke the ribs for 2-3 hours, instead of 5, and are willing to SV them for 24 hours first to accomplish that, okay, but it just seems like a wasted opportunity.

If you're going to the trouble of using 2 different cooking mediums, embrace the benefit of the SV and don't smoke the meat above 140f IMO.

160 is less than 180+ so even well done there's benefit. For layman's presentation you'd want 160 regardless (referencing the pink/red SV chicken people freak out about.) I agree 2-3 hours is likely better than 5, but until you're going past plateau temps there'll be different results.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SoftNum posted:

E: I want to smoke some this weekend, and I've done a variety of things but I need to do something < 8 hours. I probably do a couple racks of ribs, and I was thinking some chickens. Anyone else have some good ideas that don't take butt-levels of time commitment?
ducks

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

therobit posted:

Am I the only one who uses dry mustard powder in the rub?

no

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sellouts posted:

Please tell me you’re using Kingsford briquetttes and not lump charcoal.

How open is your bottom vent? I bet yours is too open.

why would you ever imply the user of kingsford is good.

I'm trying to go through my stock after a labor day sale a few years ago and it hurts.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My issue with kingsford specifically is the bindings they use which make it non compostable and generates so much loving ash. Stuff from restaurant supply is generally better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

imo yes. The dry brine will also obviously help dry the exterior which is good for everything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

only half of ya'll would die anyway after a tsp

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

No for real, you can smoke bread. I’ve talked about it in this thread before. I have a cookbook recipe that says to smoke the flour before making the dough, but I didn’t have the ability to do that this time so I’m smoking the actual loaf to see what happens.

Look, it’s an experiment okay? I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

I think the crust will form very fast due to lack of moisture and it'll end up dense and sad. You should start it in a dutch oven and form the crust after the spring via the smoker imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have that particular webber. I'm not a huge fan of the bottom vents/ash cleaning but I can set and forget for 2-3 hr smokes. Good for chicken or smoke > oven or SV; I couldn't imagine doing anything like a brisket in it. The grate doesn't really need to be upgraded which is where many cheaper grills really slack off. The middle part that detaches for their various grill attachment things is nice to use on a chimney as a reverse broiler.

It's a good grill, not sure if there's a german equiv.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I have done many 12+ hour cooks in my Weber kettles, the snake method of laying the charcoal works wonders.
let me peak your seasoning! When I do pizzas I burn it off and find it more trouble than it's worth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

whole foods dry aged was about that 2 years ago iirc

It's really what beef should cost imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You gotta pressure cook for that.

I did a butt in the webber and while the temp and cook time were amazing the bark was a bit weak. I need to get one of those cheap steel vacuum kamodos.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

stuff it with something the consistency of a turd.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just checked and a half rack of beef ribs cooked is 40 here and 16 for pork. I don't think I've ever seen raw beef ribs on sale. Pork is about 1.80 lb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

no don't shred immediately off the grill

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

!cowboy

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've had literal furniture pieces in cowboy

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my problem with this is finding good briquettes is hard as hell. Kingsford is complete poo poo and then there's??? Can't compost the ash either.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

She literally tried to get a court to prevent them from hanging it in their own backyard with their family and using the grill barbie.
ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nobody can tell you, but if it smells and feels fine it probably is. Hams can be very or not very salty and fridge temps are also variables.