Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Living in England the weather has been utter poo poo for nearly a month now. A chance to do a proper slow smoke haven't really been possible since getting the smoker. What do people recommend for the first attempt? Pork shoulder is my current thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've just taken 2 pork shoulders off the smoker after 5 hours around 220 degrees and they're now in the oven to finish off in foil for 3 hours. They looked amazing and the rub had formed a nice crust.

First time slow smoking and I can't wait to eat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Are you watching the internal temperature? 8 hours may not be enough.

Also the bark will soften up if its foiled. Not a bad thing for me as i dont like hard bark in my pulled po r k.

Its gone in at a higher temp for the 3 hours in the oven, they're also 2 not huge shoulders so I think the temp should be fine. I'll check it when I pull them though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wish I had a camera, that was far and away the best pork I've ever eaten. Everyone else agreed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Buy an extension cord and an electric fan :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the best way to stop the water tray being an absolute nightmare to clean after smoking? Put something else under the meat lined with foil so it can just be thrown in the bin once its done?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I did pork shoulder last weekend that I smoked at around 250f for 5 hours then it had around 3 hours 15 minutes at 150c in the oven to finish it off. I've done this before and it was fine but this time it didn't shred anywhere near as easily as before and there was definite connective tissue in it. I'm not sure it was any bigger but it was definitely a lot fattier.

Should I have left it in the oven longer or was it just a crappier cut of meat causing problems?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure, the meat thermometer I've got has been broken a while and I've not got around to replacing it so have largely been cooking by time. What should I aim for when I get a new one?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Brisket in England is totally different. It tends to be in a circle and tied with string. Is it just that cut tied up? Is it a different cut? Its definitely not as suitable to make pastrami from if only for the pepper cover

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How much easier are electric smokers? Whenever I eat smoked food its from my dads charcoal smoker but I'm definitely willing to put serious money for one. I get the feeling the easiness of an electric would make me smoke food more often

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just assumed they would have a temperature setting like an oven. Definitely changes things if they're all like that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If I smoke beef before I use it for chili what temperature should I be aiming for and what wood is best? What wood should I use? It would likely be inch thick cuts of meat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to be smoking some pastrami and bacon this weekend so might as well smoke something to eat immediately as well. The only problem is I'm going to be the only person eating. What should I go for?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I ended up going for a pork shoulder. For some reason I've just not been able to get the temperature past 200F. I think probably because its really windy and the wind is quite cold. I plan on sticking the shoulder in the oven for 3-4 hours to make sure its totally cooked so I can eat it at a reasonable time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Reasonable is just eating it today. I think the charcoal I was using just isn't very good. I can't see why else it wasn't producing as much heat as I was expecting. The pastrami I made is absolutely amazing though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm in England so smoking in general isn't very common. Ended up with around 4 hours at 200F on the smoker and then 4 hours in the oven at 150C so I could eat it today. The pastrami though was something else. The stuff available in the supermarket just doesn't compare in the slighest. Its a bigger difference than making my own bacon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It can always be finished in the oven if you're tight on time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What causes the stall?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Boiling water and enough time for it to cool to put your hands in helps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If anyone in the US wants to get an electric smoker cheap amazon are having a sale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jonathan posted:

Pork Tenderloin. I have 5x1 lb tenderloins. Is there a low n slow technique for these ? Thinking I will just put them into the oven, get them up to 200 then smoke/brown them over charcoal for 1/2 hour to create a bark.

Opinions ?

A proper cold smoking that doesn't cook them at all is probably the best way so you can grill them after or whatever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to smoke some bacon in a bit and I was wondering whether to smoke the beef I'm going to use for beef and guinness stew would be a good idea? The only problem would be that I'd be smoking it long before I'd be making the stew

Edit: I decided to just use the space to smoke some tomatos and onions instead to see what they're like

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 15, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

So, what were they like?

I had trouble getting the smoker over 150 due to the cold weather and lack of me trying very hard. The tomatos were alright but not particularly noticeable over general cooked tomatoes. The 2 onions weren't cooked in the slightest but were very nice in the stew I ended up making. An extremely subtle smoke flavour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Trip report:

My first smoke went well! If anything the meat wasnt smokey enough. I only had cherry wood chips instead of chunks, and they'd burn away and stop making smoke within 5 minutes so when I wasnt constantly opening the smoker and losing temperature to throw more chips in there, it wasnt making smoke.

If you're using wood chips you need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. Did your smoker come with a tray to hold them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The chips always seem to fill more of the bowl after soaking but maybe thats me not really paying attention :v: I might try weighing them before/after next time anyway and then stop soaking them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If anyone in the UK knows where to get either of those I'd be really grateful

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

Ruhlman does this for pastrami and its really good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Its not much better. I paid £21 for a 6.5lbs brisket. with conversion rates and stuff, that would make a 12lbs brisket 50 euros or 70 USD here. This is UK Brisket though and the cut is a bit different to the US stuff. Here is what I got:

Pork shoulder is much more reasonable here and can be had for about half that money.

For some reason brisket in the UK is rolled and tied. If you unroll it it'll probably look more like what gets posted here usually but probably not as neat/even on the side without the fat due to how its been butchered.

Beef is a lot more expensive here in general though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you have an oven tray that has a rack that fits inside it, put the pastrami on the rack and fill below it with water then wrap foil around it all and stick it in the oven at 200-250F. Ruhlman recommends roasting it straight off the smoker for 30-60 minutes then steaming it for 2-4 hours

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend if the weathers good but I usually use home made chilli powder in the rub and my uncle doesn't like any heat at all. Any recommendations on a rub and sauce I can make that aren't hot? I'm not sure how he is with mustard but I doubt he likes it much.

I was thinking about doing some beans for the first time under it too but have similar problems for that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll make that and try something else that he'll probably like. If I do the amazing ribs boston baked beans recipe and stick it under the meat I can just do it at the start of cooking right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I can get away with paprika so was going to do that with onion/garlic powder and salt/pepper. Not sure if I'll give baked beans a go but probably if I can get disposable foil containers big enough in a supermarket here in the US.

Aside from beans and coleslaw, any other sides people recommend?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its raining and I'm not sure when its going to stop, although not particularly heavy. It doesn't matter right? Its not exactly cold at least

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got about an hour left before I'm taking my pork shoulders off the smoker, but I've got the amazing ribs Boston Baked beans recipe under them. They're really sweet though and the recipe says they shouldn't really be. I'm guessing this is because I used black treacle instead of molasses that isn't as readily available here, although I did use what I thought was less to compensate. Any recommendations on things to help cut the sweetness? I'm thinking either more dijon mustard/Worcestershire sauce/tomato puree

I also made the south carolina mustard sauce. Since I've got no experience of the real thing, I'm guessing its supposed to be really tart/sour and used fairly sparingly?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to be in the US for a couple of months soon, where are the best places for smoked food? All states really since I'll probably only be able to see one or so per state

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jamsta posted:

^^
nom!

Beauty of slow cooking is low power needed.

Since you're in the UK, where do you get your wood for smoking? Do you just order chips online?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My parents have a wood burning fireplace in their house and have wood delivered a couple of times a year. I was wondering if it would be suitable to use in a smoker or whether sticking with wood chips is a better idea? I'm not certain of the wood but I think some is sycamore and poplar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its a WSM equivalent so no offset smoker. The wood comes in chunks rather than full logs so cutting it down any smaller turns it into kindling rather than wood to burn for a while. I couldn't say if its hard or soft wood though I can probably find out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

When I was using water in the water pan I found foiling the pan made cleanup easier.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there any real difference between using wood chips/chunks for smoking?