Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

I'll second both the Memphis dust rub and starting a lot earlier than you think. I've only done a handful of pork shoulders, but they've all been closer to the 2 hours/lb mark even with a grate temp of ~250.

This. Did a 5.5 lb butt last weekend. Got it on the grill at 9 AM and it stalled so hard it still wasn't done by 9 PM even when I decided to crutch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

For lifting a butt off the grill I've had success using Turkey forks. They're wide enough to support the meat without it falling totally apart.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I hate you because I had the ThermoPro brand on Amazon confused with ThermoWorks and my wallet was much happier for it.

Anyone have experience with the MEATER wireless probe thermometer? I use a Weber kettle for my smoking so having the wired probe means I don't get a tight seal closing the grill.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Isn't pork super cheap right now because of a surplus caused by trade embargo?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

revmoo posted:

- The intake vent on the bottom is basically the gas pedal, the vent on top is the brake. Ideally you want the top vent as open as possible, though I find that halfway regulates temperature well for me. Once I'm into the groove, the top vent is full open and the bottom vent is closed or almost closed. I never open the bottom vent past more than half way unless I'm trying to ignite coals

Granted I'm new to smoking on my Weber, but wouldn't you want to keep the top vent somewhat closed to keep smoke in longer? Rather than going right out the vent?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

8.65 lbs of pork butt on sale for $8.56 :hellyeah:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 2, 2019

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

You get the best of both cooking with charcoal and set-and-forget, plus it doesn’t cost a ton. Kamado grills are amazing.

Dumb question here, but what makes a Kamado grill "set-and-forget" versus a Weber kettle? Are the vent placements/settings that drastically different?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

revmoo posted:

Pork shoulder on the weber kettle.

Lately I've been going quite a bit higher on temps than most people, very pleased with the results.

Go on...

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What's everyone's go-to probe thermometer? I'm looking to upgrade to one with a wireless transmitter or bluetooth because I don't want to have to keep going out and checking temps.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Got an 8 lb pork butt smoking now. Temps are steadily rising and I'm at 140° now. Do I dare forego crutching? (Note, this is not hubris - I know it's gonna stall hard)

e: Crutched it after stalling in the upper 150s for about 45-60 minutes. Can't wait for this.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 7, 2019

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, good. You did what your heart told you.

Ha, yeah. Best cook I've had - Weber kettle held 250-275 the entire time and I've got it off and resting now in perfect time for dinner.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Ha, yeah. Best cook I've had - Weber kettle held 250-275 the entire time and I've got it off and resting now in perfect time for dinner.

This is the best pork butt I've ever smoked. Absolutely amazing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jan posted:

Strictly speaking, this isn't fully grilling related, but do you guys have some magic bullet/~lifehack~ style tricks to marinating and grilling burgers?

Why are you trying to marinate burgers?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, a meat slicer would be awesome to have. I have a 4 lb slab curing right meow, and am not looking forward to trying to slice it properly.

Would an electric knife be the next best thing? (I legit don't know)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thought I'd share with the thread:

Western brand smoking wood chips are on sale on Amazon for $3/bag

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

There's nothing wrong with letting a pork butt just hang out in the stall, correct? Wondering if it might dry out too much. But I'm not going to eat for another 3 1/2 hours and if I wrap it now it'll be done too soon.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Problem is stall times are so random. Murpheys law....

I'm still going to wrap it, just not now because it will finish too soon once I do.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Today's pork butt results:

It was loving amazing.

That turkey looks unbelievable too :swoon:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

So I’m going to an uncle’s house for Thanksgiving, and I’m gonna smoke a turkey there.

Does your uncle have any other kind of charcoal grill big enough for a turkey? Could be your plan B at least :shrug:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

They use cheaper hardwoods and infuse them with wood oils for flavor.

There's a class action lawsuit regarding this

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I don't think a 20 lb bird, spatchcocked or otherwise, will fit nice on a 22" grill. Especially considering you need a hot zone for your charcoal.

Thank you in advance for posting pictures!

I've done 20 lb birds on my 22" Weber kettle without any space issues.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

How? I'm looking at mine and I just can't see it. I was sure that some bit would be above the lit charcoal and get burnt. How did you do the charcoal? Snake around the edge?

I've done the snake before. Now that I have charcoal baskets though, I just use those on each side so the bird can sit right in the middle. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the setup Thursday or find an old one.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Trastion posted:

I do this too but I put it in my chili.

I might have posted this before, but I made this for a chili cook-off and won:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNk0tLGEpc

It's really, really good. Use less sugar than he recommends though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

qutius posted:

Not a bad work from home day!

:aaaaa: Why did I not think of doing this now that I have a WFH setup?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you guys foil/butcher paper your butts at the stall, or just let it keep on truckin?

Foil. Its just so much easier and more predictable.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

nwin posted:

This is for pulled pork, right? It’s bone-in.

I’m looking at amazingribs.com and they say plan on 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound at 225. If that’s true, then I’m looking at 6-7 hours, right? However, does that account for the stall?

Basically I’m trying to see when I’ll need to put this in the smoker so it’s guaranteed to be able to serve by 5:30 at night on Sunday.

It does not account for the stall. 6-7 is best case scenario. I'd say get it started at 8 am at the absolute latest and just wrap it in a towel and keep in a cooler if it gets done earlier.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over was the standard for handling hot foods. Works just fine for moving and pulling pork butts in my experience.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Slow N Sear guys - is there a significant difference using it versus charcoal baskets and a water pan? I've considered buying but I just don't know if it's worth the cost.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Edit: I think Kenji/Alton say that some baking soda helps, but I haven’t tried it personally, and I’m on mobile right now so can’t confirm.

Baking powder not soda, right?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

um excuse me posted:

The smoker he recommends is made of a cardboard box. Hotplate, cast iron pan, wood chips, box.

Pretty sure he's referring to an episode where Alton uses ceramic potting plants to make a ceramic cooker.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

:same:
I always have a couple in the freezer from when they are on sale at .99/lb

I'm legit tempted to buy a separate freezer to be able to do this. But the only room I have is my garage and I live in the desert.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God that skin :stwoon:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Huge benefit of working from home is being able to start a pork butt before logging on. The smoke rolling right now smells so good.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Smoke pork butt fat side up or down? Or doesn’t matter?

I did fat side up this last time and it's probably the best butt I've done.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I live alone and still got a turkey breast to smoke since they were on sale. Gonna have a ton of leftovers :getin:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A minor dilemma here. I couldn't get the turkey breast on in time for a normal lunchtime and I was starving even earlier than that so I ate versus waiting. Now the bird's done -- do I just carve it now or try to hold it over? It's just me and the original plan was to have it for one meal then the rest for leftovers. Is it worth trying to keep it warm in foil/blankets/cooler or oven until dinner time (~5 hours) versus carving now and just eating leftovers?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I wouldn't carve it. You'll just lose a bunch of juices and dry it out. I'd cool it and put in the fridge whole.

I ended up carving it. Putting it whole in the fridge just makes it harder to carve later.

e: Realized I should probably post a picture of it:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 13, 2020

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've always wondered, how are you supposed to control temperatures when getting started? Usually I get the fire going and put the water pan in and let it get to around ~250 for 5-10 minutes before putting the meat on. After I put the meat on, the temperature usually struggles to get back over 200 degrees. Are you supposed to just leave the vents where they were or open them up to get back up to temp? I usually open the vents, but that ends up overshooting temp by a lot later when the meat and water are hotter.

What are you using to smoke?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Well after 2 hours and change it's at 150 in a smoker that's been maintaining at the low 260s. Part of me wants to turn it down a bit, but on the other hand I don't know what kind of stall to expect. So I'm leaving it as is and not loving with it unless I really should.

You're probably right at the stall tbh

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hed posted:

If you rotated that picture 90 degrees CW, I think you’re on to something

Goddamit I was going to make the same joke :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Since we're talking about kamados/smokers, am I crazy for being totally content with just my Weber kettle? I feel like I've got it figured out where I can get temps dialed in and consistent for hours.