Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Can I ask for some tips on slow smoking in a weber kettle? Ive got a weber smokey mountain, but I live in an apartment and cleaning it out on the balcony is a massive pain...cleaning the kettle is much more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

ObesePriest posted:

Heaps of great advice

Cheers, that tip with the brick is especially good. How do you stop the meat say a pork butt or brisket from burning on the side nearest the fire? Also, do you put a water pan in there anywhere for a long cook?

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks guys...it's shame not to use this weber smokey mountain but cleaning the water pan and charcoal are highly inconvenient on the 7th floor. I will try doing some pulled pork in the kettle next time and see how it goes.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

Stringent posted:

you absolutely should be double foiling the water pan.

as for the charcoal, i don't see how cleaning the ash from the grill would be any easier than from the smoker.

It's not just the ash. Pulling the smoker apart means I need to lay towels or paper over the balcony to keep from getting soot/grease on the tiles. With the kettle I can hook everything on the lip of the kettle and just sweep up any ash that spills during clean up.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
I've got a Weber smokey mountain and have mad a few attempts at doing brisket. But they have all come out tender, but horrible and dried out. Compared to the moist goodness I've had in Texas, this is garbage. Doesn't seems to matter where I hold the temperature 200F for 12-18h or 250F, result is the same. Am I cooking to the wrong internal temperature (180ish)?

The other possibility that occurred to me today is that being in Australia, grass-fed beef is much more common at the butcher but I believe feedlot beef is standard in the USA. Is the problem just that I've got crappy, lean brisket to start with?

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks folks. I haven't been wrapping it, so I'll try that. I didn't want to go to higher temperatures because it was already drying out and I thought hotter would make it even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

moctopus posted:

I'm yet to mess up a brisket and I'm surprised people have a difficult time. I wonder what could be happening?

I have cooked them any where from 225 to 325 in my 14.5" WSM.

Never had any turn out tough or dry.

Mine were consistently turning out tough and dry until I started crutching them and realised I was probably cooking them for way too long. I also suspect the grill temperature is getting too hot in my WSM, I had been relying on the dial thermometer for that but using a leave-in probe to get the meat temperature. If I crutch it in the WSM it is done in like 8 hours and juicy as hell.