Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So since my friends and I bought a smoker we have done 3 or 4 butts. They always turn out really tasty, but drat if it isn't a pain cutting and shredding the meat afterwards. I hear that if done right the meat just falls apart. What are we doing wrong?

Also damned if we aren't smoking a turkey next week. Shitshya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zerox147o posted:

Started a 8-9 pound pork butt this morning around 8AM. Its coming along nicely and is just rounding the 130-140 stuck point. The whole place smells like a camp fire and I love it. Truly an Opening Day miracle.

Yeah its the best part of the weekend. Friend and I are smoking a turkey right now, started at 8am and its already at 140 degrees. Hopefully we can slow it down a tad.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The book that came with our smoker said when the internal temperature of the butt gets to 170, it is ready. So our last two attempts it has always been a pain in the rear end to cut up and shred.

Took info from here, took it up to 190. It took significantly longer and showed that perhaps we need a better smoker (Started 7:15 AM and wasn't ready until 11:00 PM), and even then we had to finish the last hour off in the oven.

Anyway, the result.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So we cooked a boston butt last weekend, turned out great. I go grocery shopping on Monday, see ribs on sale and buy them, say we'll smoke them this weekend.

Fast forward we buy another butt, two racks of ribs, and some turkey drum sticks to smoke. WE are smoking the butt overnight in shifts, and the rest afterwards. From smoking a dinner for three into a gathering of people. How did this happen?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I got a new grill after moving and decided to go with a barrel shaped grill rather than a Weber. The Weber I previously used had an attachment that kept the charcoal off to one side, with a tray on top for water.

The barrel one that I got doesn't have anything like that, but I read that it is easy enough to get a tray for water, and put the charcoal the water tray, with the meat off to one side.

Does that seem like a solid plan, or are there better ways to do it without a formal smoker type add-on?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tenderloin posted:

For the first time ever, I invested in a grill that wasn't a cheap semi-disposable sub-$20 college special from Wally World. I managed to find a Weber 22.5" One-touch Silver on mega-clearance for just over $50 new.

Then I did a bad, bad thing. Before even cracking the box, I ordered myself a Smokenator thereby spending more than I did on the grill for what appears to be a glorified piece of bent sheet metal.

...and so it begins.

I've got your standard grilling accessories, but am wondering what else I should pick up to make my first smoking experience as idiot-proof as possible. Perhaps a thermometer and a Jaccard?

What cut should I give my first go? Pork shoulder? Mostly looking to build some confidence early, and then branch out from there.

I can't wait to begin experimenting with different rub recipes, as I'm fortunate to be just up the street from a Penzey's.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Yeah that's what I used before. It isn't bad but its a pain having to lift the entire grill just to replace charcoal, and good luck replacing wood chunks. But for that price even with the smokinator it sounds like you got a good deal.

And to the digital Jesus, yeah its horizontal. Appreciate your input. Just got it put together this morning. Going to start with some chicken his evening.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

cornface posted:

Last night I tried out the pepper stout beef from this site. Highly recommend it.

That looks awesome. Do you think that recipe would work for a couple of rump roasts?

This weekend I have a 5lb butt and 2 2 lb rump roasts (all together about $12 bucks). Its gonna be fun on a bun.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Its been too long since I smoked a turkey. Prolly will convince my mom to let me smoke one for the family when I get home for thanksgiving break. Tonight, I am practicing with turkey legs. Hopefully they turn out ok.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dattserberg posted:

So last week, after lurking this thread for quite some time, I decided to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Yesterday, I broke the bad boy out and decided to have a go with an 8lb pork shoulder. I marinaded the pork for roughly 2 days before smoking. As far as I can tell, this really didn't come through much with the flavor. What really came through was the combination of hickory and applewood I used. I put the shoulder on at about 9AM and let the waiting game begin. A football-filled Sunday is a perfect day to smoke as you stay distracted most of the day and there isn't that overwhelming feeling of just waiting around. The cook progressed pretty normally with the stall around 150 that I had anticipated. However, things were really slow between 170-190. I am not sure if this was a fuel issue (I would just stoke the coals instead of adding more
charcoal/wood) or if it was due to the weather (after dark it dropped down to the mid 30s).

Around 11:30 PM, it did finally reach 190 and was ready to be taken off the smoker. It was a thing of beauty. I let it sit, wrapped in tin foil, for about 45 minutes as I cleaned up.

I was really happy that the bone pulled so cleanly as a friend of mine who has done quite a bit of smoking said that would probably take a few go-rounds for that to happen.

Not a bad little smoke ring.

And here it is, plated, using a sweet BBQ sauce and a vinegar sauce I found on amazingribs.com

After last night, I guess these are the questions I have for you fellas. What type of wood is preferable with a pork shoulder? Do you typically use the same wood regardless of meat? What would a good follow up to the shoulder for a smoke?

That looks awesome. With my friends Weber and my barrel grill, it is too difficult getting the shoulder that hot without use of an oven in the last few hours.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I just got a leg of lamb on sale and I am considering doing two things:

1. Cutting up the leg to grill shashlik (basically shishkabobs) or
2. Not cutting the leg up, but marinating overnight in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and then slow cooking it.

Anyone have experience with lamb and have any good ideas for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I haven't been here since I had to move and lose my smoker. Finally I moved to a new place, but unfortunately it's apartment complex in Fairfax County which has an ordinance against open flames in the units. Can anyone suggest some alternatives or am I just out of luck again?