Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Out of curiosity, is there any particular brand of lump charcoal that is better than most? I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw) and I've mostly used Cowboy or Royal Oak and I'm just not 100% happy with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I'm planning on doing a 5 lb bone-in rib roast on my Vision Kamado instead of the oven for the 4th, because...gently caress yeah :dance: it's a massive delicious bit of beef and I've started cooking damned near everything on that thing. I am wondering if anyone has any experience to share on doing a rib roast like this? I'm thinking of 225-250 till I hit an internal around 118 to 120 before I pull it (around 4 hrs?), but I can't make up my mind on doing a pre or post sear or about adding a little smoke from cherry or apple and such. Also, what and how to do the drippings?

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Ezrem posted:

Is that grill the one at Costco? If so how do you like it?

I love it, I'd toyed with the idea of getting a Big Green Egg for years after my buddy got one but couldn't bring myself to spend the $800(if I was lucky)-$1200 to get a decent setup. When I saw the vision at costco this spring my wife insisted I at least try it out since we could always take it back without a hassle if It ended up not working out.

It's been the best purchase I've made in a long time. I've played with my friends Egg a few times in the past and I honestly would choose the vision again without a second thought. You just get so much bang for your buck, hell even my friend said he'd do the same after I showed it to him.

I'm even happier with it right now than I was after what happened this afternoon at costco. I was picking up a few things and noticed that it was now on sale for $399 (Down from the $569 I paid 4 months ago). Went up to customer service and walked away 5 minutes later with the price difference without the slightest hassle.

coronaball posted:

I did this once and it came out oversmoked. Use a very, very light touch with the smoke. A handful of cherry chips is probably best.
Aye, I learned that lesson after my first chicken on the kamado. I think I'm going to go with a light amount of chips for maybe the first half hour or so and leave it at that.

Safety Engineer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 4, 2013

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

My wife brought home some beef back ribs from the local farmers market today to experiment with, they've got about 2-3 inches of meat between each bone but not really anything to speak of above or below that. I haven't done anything with beef ribs in a long time and even https://amazingribs.com isn't giving me a whole lot of help.

So, anyone have some good advice? I'm sort of leaning toward doing them with a mix of pecan and cherry wood for the smoke but I can't decide on what temp to bring em to since there isn't a lot of meat to play with on the suckers.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I probably would have added too much rub without giving it a second thought.

I get the feeling now that I'd be disappointed with the end results if I did a standard cook on the the back ribs. I took another look at them last night when I was in the fridge and realized they were even bonier than I initially thought, for some reason I didn't notice that the bone was exposed on the tops of almost each rib :smith:.

I did see an idea for cutting them down in to 2-3 inch segments in order make kind of a bastard version of riblets.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

What's the meat? How long has it been going already?

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I know its probably too late but I'd give them 2 hours of smoke, wrap in foil and put em in the oven at 250 until they hit 190 internal and sear on a hot grill to finish.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

If you want a meat side you absolutely cant go wrong with meatloaf either, I do mine on a cedar plank and the flavor is so good that family asks for it damned near weekly.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

How is it for leakage? The price makes it so tempting.

I really want to get a kamado of some sort but the Rec Tec pellet smoker is calling my name...

They're pretty damned great for the price, I got mine from costco this last march and I love it. My best friend got a BGE last year and after using it I started seriously looking for a kamado style grill to call my own. Mine doesn't leak at all and has gone a full 18 hours on one load of lump, even had some left over after that cook. After trying out my vision this summer, my buddy said he couldn't tell any genuine difference in quality and said that while he loves his BGE it's nowhere the bang for your buck

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

pr0k posted:

I've had one at Schlotzsky's back when there was one here. Pretty good. Made one or two myself. Better, but can't get that bread right. Maybe if I had a proper one in nawlins it might be in the top three.ikn

Its one of those foods where you can get a hint of what the original truly tastes like, but never get closer than even half as good as one from the area that spawned it. A lot of the local ingredients just can't be replicated anywhere else, the bread being the most obvious. drat, now I feel kinda homesick for New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

urk the quack posted:

For a standard BBQ rub my go-to is still making Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe. I haven't found a commercial rub yet that I like better.

This is also my go to rub, It accents and improves the flavor of just about everything without being overwhelming. The only meats I don't use it on are fish and beef.