Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just bought a new weber kettle and I plan on picking up a WSM soon. I was wondering where everyone buys their charcoal. Most of the stores around me only carry Kingsford and Costco doesn't have the big bag for cheap right now. Any brand/location recommendations? I'm in socal but have amazon prime, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LTBS posted:

Posting this here too -

Replacing my current 22.5 WSM and 22.5 One Touch Silver. The WSM spent too much time uncovered because I hosed up and started rusting and had issues with mold. I get a huge discount through work, so I figured it was time to get a new one.

Now I have to decide on whether to get a CyberQ WiFi or something else for a temp controller.

Wife and I recently went with the Performer Gold with a cover. Thing is amazing. Love the table, bucket for charcoal, timer, and hooks for brush and tools. You don't need any of that if you have a picnic table and a cheap trash can, but it makes it so convenient (and we just moved and didn't have any of those other things).

WSM is next, any reason to go with the 22.5 over the smaller 18.5 other than size? I don't ever plan on cooking for so many people that I would need that larger size, but if there is anything else that makes it worth it, I could be convinced.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I smoked an 8 pound pork shoulder on the weber performer two days ago. Just shy of 12 hours on. Fed 6 people and still had 3 pounds left over. Down to a pound and a half, gonna make breakfast sandwiches tomorrow morning and probably finish it off. Fantastic, but I might have shot myself in the foot. I had convinced the wife that a WSM was needed and now she thinks I don't need one at all...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

toplitzin posted:

It's the older model: http://tools.woot.com/offers/masterbuilt-analog-electric-smoker-30-inch?ref=gh_tg_5_s_txt

The newer one with digital control is $50 more on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070210-30-Inch-Electric-Analog/dp/B0034VXAY0/

With shipping on Woot the difference is 35-20 ($5-20 on shipping speed) or "free" 2 day prime on amazon for the newer model.

If I already have a nice Weber grill, is there a reason to do the WSM in any size rather than get one of these?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got the WSM cleaned and burned out multiple times, never been this clean since I bought it.

Trying my hand at smoking meatloaf.

What temp and for how long did you smoke that meatloaf?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

^^^
Almost 4 hours at 250F or a bit above. I ran it a bit hotter than I normally do.

Yeah that's basically it, I drain them myself and use water so it's not too salty but that depends on your preferences.

Is there an internal temp I should shoot for?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

What are using? That's like weber kettle level of inefficiency.

I've been using my weber kettle grill to smoke pork shoulders and I've only ever had to add fuel once over the four times I've done it. You just need to make sure there is enough charcoal in there to last as long as you need it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

M

coronaball posted:

:siren: The $10 for 40 lbs of Kingsford Memorial Day Sale is on at Lowe's!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_361268-308-...1&storeId=10151

I bought 200 lbs last year, and I'm just finishing up the last half a bag so perfect timing. :)

My local Costco has the competition 2pack for $15 right now, too. 18lb bags.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

This is why I ain't got no love for hoas

To be fair it is a town house, so he shares walls or something with neighbors and it is often a rule at many apartments. It makes sense if it is in an area where fire code is the reason more than hoa or coa or whatever rules, too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I would just add more unlit charcoal to the side of whatever is in there and hot. Also, pork shoulders are pretty forgiving. I fell asleep once and my temp spiked around 300-325 for a couple hours and people still loved it even though I thought it was not as good as what I usually produce. Relax, have a beer, put some unlit coals against the side of the hot coals so the new coals slowly burn sideways.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

So I've been put in charge of smoking pork shoulders (from Costco) for maybe 50 people. Will be the star of the show but won't be all there is to eat. I'm away from home and without a real smoker. We have a full bag of Apple pellets but I'm worried I won't get enough smoke flavor. Any tips for using the traeger that I should know? There will probably be enough food that even if the pork was stolen we would all be full anyways. Thinking 25lbs pre cook might be enough but I've never done such a large batch or for such a large crowd.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Jo3sh posted:

Traegers, especially with the Traeger brand pellets, do seem to give a milder smoke flavor than other methods I have used. Use a good, flavorful rub and start the shoulders (I use a variant of Meathead's Memphis rub) at 225 at least 12 hours before you want to eat. Mine took about 12.5 hours to hit 201 internal. I have a Texas and it would have no issue accommodating 25-30 pounds of shoulders (that is, 4-6 good size pieces), but if you're on a smaller unit, you may have issues. The nice thing about the Traeger is that you can start the cook and then go to sleep without having to tend the fire. If the meat's done early, wrap in foil and towels and put in a cooler until just before eating time, then shred them up. If you want more smoke flavor, you can use a 100% flavor wood pellet, or you can add an AMAZEN smoker or similar.

Oh, and a full bag (20#) is good for a 12-hour cook. I figure I used a little more than a pound an hour for my recent overnight. On the off chance that you run out of fire, foil 'em and put 'em in the oven at 225-250 until done, then into the cooler to rest until eating time.

Thanks! Yeah, we are gonna pick up more pellets the day before. Unfortunately he has a smaller traeger. Maybe I'll see if my brother can bring the old brinkmann bullet smoker out and let me use that too. I'd be comfortable enough to run it overnight without issue.

BraveUlysses posted:

General rule for pulled pork is about a 50-60% loss of raw weight after smoking (depending on how much fat and membrane you remove). Assume most people will eat 1/4 to 1/3 lb of meat.

I thought it was about 30% loss plus bone? I'll be doing the Costco butts so they will be boneless.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Trastion posted:

The Costco butts I used to get always had bones in them. Did they recently make them boneless? Or maybe it is different brand or whatever at different stores?

Boneless at the Hillsboro Costco in Oregon. Butts butts butts.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

therobit posted:

Anyone here make chili out of leftover pulled pork? I smoked a Costco 2 pack a few weeks ago and froze a bunch of it. It occurs to me that it could be good in chili and I have a potluck coming up this weekend. I'm looking for recipes if you have a good one; a lot of the ones I ran across online seem a little weird.

I know this isn't what you were asking but I love reheating the leftover pork in a little butter and then adding lime and making carnitas tacos. Easy to just add it to a crock pot or Dutch oven and let people make their own.

Hadn't thought of doing chili with it but I look forward to seeing some of the responses. I agree with adding it real late because I fear it would get mushy really quick and would detract from the rest of the chili.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Speaking of using a crutch, I've foiled my pork butt but I was wondering if I should just put it in the over at this point. Never had one take this long! At 175 internal and I started at 6:15am. It is 6:10pm (1810 for you that like that), I have people expecting food in an hour and I'm hoping time in the over would fix this? Or is the fact that I've already foiled it going to be about all I can do to speed this along?

Temp was 210-235 and mostly near that 235 end. I've upped it to 300 now. Should I go higher on the smoker or what? Save me from myself goons!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Foiled and up to 300 in the kettle, the pork finished at 202 at about 7:20. I have two digits thermometers but I think it is new battery time. It was delicious. Abyss from Deschutes Brewery 2007-2014 was also delicious. I should have taken pictures. It wasn't that thick but I guess it was just a particularly whatever piece that required more time than usual.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

There's plenty of other fish in the sea

But try to get a different smoker for them.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

coyo7e posted:

oh man, foil in the smoker thread is rapidly turning it into the cast iron thread

Foil your cast iron!

But what oil do you use to season your foil !?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

That all sounds like the perfect storm of bad poo poo happening. I think it should be fine as long as you can get the heat back to your target before the meat has a chance to cool. Others will certainly know more and know specifics. For just you and your wife I'd imagine it will be fine.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Others will give you more details but finishing early is better than finishing late. Pull on location, store/transport in a cooler with hot towels.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

It's these people who drove the price of brisket up to like $7/pound. I make pasta now. Fuckers aren't gonna make ravioli unaffordable anytime soon.

You just haven't been using the right flour...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Yea, I test drove a 14 pounder last weekend, it took about 3.5 hours at 335 or so. Just tossed it on there breast side up, it came out awesome. Unfortunately, my stepmom's family is afraid of the prospect of smoked turkey and doesn't want it for Thanksgiving :wtc:

We always have two thanksgivings because my family is way more into it than the wife's. Thursday is 30-40 people with 1-2 turkeys my parents raise (one was 38lb dressed a few years back, or so I'm told) and then Saturday is a low key affair with 10-15 people and her uncle always smokes a couple turkeys on his hand built bullet smokers (smokers made from old Webber kettles) with a rotisserie. Very few times has the oven cooked (and quartered to fit) turkey comes close to being as good as the smoked turkey. Then my mother in law makes super spicy smoked turkey soup for the next few days and we are so full. Afraid of the prospect of smoked turkey... Heathens.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

mastajake posted:

Could I get a general recipe for this? It sounds amazing and I have quite a few leftovers (wife is vegetarian).

I'll try to get you the actual recipe. I don't know even the general recipe but I believe it is from the Oregonian newspaper from a while back. If I can't find it I'll get her to write down a general recipe for us both!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

mastajake posted:

Could I get a general recipe for this? It sounds amazing and I have quite a few leftovers (wife is vegetarian).

Sorry for being late and you probably over eating turkey sandwiches, but I found online versions of the recipes she uses.

http://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/southwestern-turkey-soup-linda-faus

And the broth

http://recipes.oregonlive.com/recipes/lindas-post-thanksgiving-turkey-broth

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I, too, received a smoker for this holiest of days of consumerism. 22.5" WSM. Picking it up on Friday since we are visiting the parents a state away and I have no room in the car (gonna be filled with books and beer). Father in law says he bought it for us so he could have good ribs. I look forward to not disappointing him. Any tips or tricks or accessories I need for it? I'm thinking of getting the cajunbandit $200 kit with the new door and everything.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

sellouts posted:

Season it with some cheap bacon or something, line the water pan with foil so it stays clean (and don't use water) and have fun.

Did this.

Asked the wife what she wanted me to smoke first (aside from the bacon): brisket. Picked up 15lbs of brisket from Costco and having an impromptu party tomorrow. I don't think there will be any left (not after a day or two of leftovers) but is there an acceptable way to freeze cooked brisket? Vacuum sealed? Water displacement ziplock bag? Or is the reheated product just so not even worth the trouble?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Alternatively: place smoked brisket in delicious, delicious chili. Freeze chili.

Hmm, that does sound amazing. I was actually going to make the hakata ramen recipe again and use the brisket instead of pork belly/tenderloin. See how it works.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Thanks everyone for the leftover brisket recommendations. Made a lot of sandwiches, lots of hash for breakfast, and the rest is waiting for me to make chili.

So I turn my attention to the next smoke: pork shoulder. Done enough that I know what to do wit the leftovers. My question is for the next day, red beans and rice. Wasn't planning on putting any shoulder in, but I could be convinced... I'm more interested in smoking my own ham hocks and maybe some ham, too. Anyone have experience here? Is this the sort of thing that needs curing first?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there a certain brand of wood pellets people recommend for the AMNPS? I'm reading a bunch of descriptions on Amazon showing some brands have hardwoods mixed in with the flavoring woods for temperature or burn control purposes. Is this good, or should I try to buy the 100%-flavoring-wood pellets?

Also where the gently caress do I find these pellets that isn't Amazon or online? Because Home Depot doesn't appear to sell them in-store and Lowes doesn't appear to sell them at all.

Costco has them sometimes.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Low and slow cooking is real, real hard at that altitude. Near sea level, you want to smoke at around 225 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about 15 degrees higher than the boiling point of water. At 7500 feet, the boiling point of water is going to be under 200 degrees, which means you're going to be smoking around 210-215 -- this doesn't leave you a lot of headroom between the internal temperature you want for most of your meat (180-190 degrees) and your cook temp, so you're going to be smoking for a loooooooong time if you don't want everything to dry out badly. Plan appropriately.

I love being at or below sea level here. Great for cooking, even better for the carb on my bike!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

sellouts posted:

Wear latex gloves.

And still wash your hands thoroughly when you finish and before touching your junk/eyes.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

I assume the flour is unrelated?

My first thought as well. Then I had an even better thought. Smoke pork shoulder biscuits and gravy the next morning with a fried egg on top. Hashtag put a heart attack on it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

My local costcos have Kingsford competition briquettes on sale, $4 off with a limit of 3. So about $15 for two 16lb bags or whatever they are. Might check your local store if you want in.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Words and pictures!

That looks like an awesome event, flooding and all!

In other news, I'm smoking a whole Costco pack of pork shoulder, so 15 pounds boneless. Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, small dash of paprika for color, small dash of chipotle chili powder for a subtle heat. On at 6am pacific at about 235 and vents open to hit 250.

I have 4 Cornish game hens I'll be adding towards the end, is there any reason 325 would be bad for the pork for the last hour or two?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Braggo posted:

Shoulder is so forgiving, you should be fine.

That's what I figured. I've had pork cook cook too hot for part of the session and turn out fine but never at the end so I didn't know if that would be an issue.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

fyodor posted:

15 pounds started at 6am? Won't that take nearly a day to cook? I guess there has to be an upper limit for 10 or 12 hours for a shoulder?

It's two pieces, so normal time frame.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Hed posted:

My Costco shoulders end up taking 16-20 hours if I really stick to 225:

Hmm, I usually cook a little higher than 225 since I'm often putting other items on, but I've only had it take that long once or twice and that was due to poor temp control and being a bit lower than 225 for a few hours. I am also just below sea level, too.

They already look so good...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Pictures will be added once I figure out imgur on the iPad.
Fired up the WSM at 9pm Saturday. The small piece on top was done around 7am and I woke my wife up with a big bark piece. Increased the heat from ~225f to ~270f. Big shoulders came off around 10:30am Sunday at ~201f and went straight into a foil wrap and straight into the cooler, wrapped in hot towels. The first shoulder was gone by the time I thought to take pictures but the second I was able to grab a shot before being sent with guests and frozen for future snacking. loving delicious.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 31, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Traeger at costco is a traveling sale. They probably won't have floor models because they'll be at a different store soon.

http://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

I don't know, they routinely have a model available at one of the two costcos near me. The rich one that sells all the booze, not the poor one with way less booze choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

And yes, my 22.5" has air leaks -- they basically all come with them unless you fix them. One of these days I'll get around to ordering that Cajun Bandit door and some kind of better gaskets.

Same. Mine has insane leaks. Actually, maybe I can borrow my buddy's FLIR and take pictures of said leaks. Then I can address them directly. Anyone have luck using high temp silicone as a gasket maker on their cookers? Just brainstorming but I have access to some and that could work better than nothing at all, at least until I blow $200 at Cajun bandit for the big 22.5 kit with everything...

I typically run out of coals around the 9-10 hour mark but I also fill the pan with water. I think if I could fix the air leaks it would probably be perfect. I use the Kingsford competition briquettes from Costco that are currently on sale for about $15 for two big bags.