Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I'll have to remember to take some pics of my smoked chicken this weekend. I always smoke off a bunch on sunday to eat all week, usually leg quarters or thighs. Usually cook it for about 4 hours or so @ 225F, always comes out fantastic and super moist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can someone recommend a thermometer to me? I've gone through three ikea probes. I need one that will survive a 12 hour smoke.

I mean one for in the meat, not for the air temp.

I've had really good luck with this one so far. Works great in meat, but lately I have been using it to read the air temp on my weber kettle and it is fantastic at that as well.
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Digital-Leave-Thermometer/dp/B002U1RNIO

As promised here is the chicken I smoked this weekend, well late last night. It was on for 4.5 hours according to my phone. Finished up around 1030pm so I didn't get a chance to taste any. Thankfully, lunch is in an hour and thirty minutes :)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

agentseven posted:

This looks great, care to give us some insights into your method here? Chicken is the final frontier for me, I've pretty much conquered everything else to my satisfaction.

I do a light coating of the chicken in olive oil then I cover in whatever spices I feel like putting on. Usually Cajun seasoning, chili powder, garlic power, pepper. I do both sides of the chicken. That chicken was one on my weber and it came out just as good as my BGE, I just had to watch the temps a bit closer but the weber is so much easier to add wood chucks mid cook.

The grill was about 250-275 for the entirety of the cook. I pulled the chicken when it hit 165 and that was mainly cause I wanted to get to bed. I am much happier with the end product if I let the internal get to around 180-185. The bones just come out so much cleaner and the chicken is still super moist even at that high an internal. The only thing is the skin will be a bit soft, but that doesn't bother me as I don't eat the skin anyways, I just peel it off. You could pull the chicken and the crank the grill up and put the chicken on a direct heat for a bit to crisp it up.

As far as setting up my weber for chicken I always use indirect and use a log of smoke wood to basically build a drat for the coals. Similiar to using bricks, but the wood the doubles as a charcoal drat and smoke generator. I strictly use natural lump charcoal as well as I like the way it burns so much better than briquettes.

I mainly stick to thighs or leg quarters when I do chicken and get pretty much flawless results this way.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Nosthula posted:

Chimney style starters work fine, but I've switched to using a small propane or butane tank with one of these attached:
http://www.thebbqguru.com/pdf/Guru_Golf_Club.pdf

You could buy the device but if you are the DIY type it would be a pretty easy project.

I'll use a chimney starter for briquette, works amazing, thought I hardly ever use briquettes. For natural lump I just use wax starters, the kind I get come in 1"x1" squares, but I quarter those and it is more than enough to get the coals going. Quartering them makes them last forever as well.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Cooked some ribs this weekend, came out so tasty. No real measurements on the rub, just through a bunch of my usual spices along with some brown sugar onto it the night before. They were on the egg just shy of 7 hours at about 225, the meat fell right off the bone.

Funny thing, the neighbor came over when I was getting the egg up to temp, she thought our house was on fire from all the smoke coming up. Had a good laugh about that one.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

You will love it! They are a real pleasure to use, and the versatility is fantastic.

Agreed, I love mine. As do the two friends who have bought one after seeing how happy I was with mine.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Had a huge throw down this past saturday at a friend's house. Cooked ribs, 2 pork butts, lots of chicken, brawts, shrimp. So much food there will be leftovers for days. Anyways, here's a pic of my chicken and stuffed jalapenos. Chicken was at about the 3 hour mark, with about an hour and a half left to go. Came out extremely juicy. No final shots as by the time it was all done all I could think about was eating.

Had to cook my stuff on the weber, as there was no way I could transport my egg. Did manage to fashion an extra grate that added almost double the cooking area.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

CapnBry posted:

That said, I am working on a writeup that provides step by step instructions on what to buy and how to assemble it, with photos of all the assembly steps. I'll check back in once that's done and maybe it will make more sense.

That would be extremely helpful, a step by step would be much appreciated.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Cooked what I think may have been my best smoked chicken to date over the weekend. Had a big family gathering on Saturday. Ended up smoking 24 leg quarters on my Large BGE. Well not quite 24, managed to fit 19 in there, had to do a few on my weber kettle. If I had a third grate I could have easily done all 24 at once.

Had to be careful removing the chicken as it just wanted to fall apart on me. I let it rest for a bit, then wrapped it up in tinfoil and put them in a cooler for transport. It was a few hours later than we ended up eating, and they were still nice and hot when I went to serve them.

No one could believe how juicy the chicken was, kept getting compliment after compliment on it. I was happy everyone enjoyed it so much.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I know its not necessarily slow smoking, but I just got the weber rotisserie attachment for my 22" kettle. Can't wait to check it out this weekend. Leaning toward a turkey, use it as a trial run for Thanksgiving. Will make sure to post pics.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do they have such a thing for the 18.5" model too? I would be quite interested in one for making döner kebab or gyros.

I do not find any mention of one for the 18.5" model on weber's site.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
as promised.. the chicken turned out amazing. I could stand to seal up some air gaps with the unit though, but over all I am super happy with the results.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I am on hour 20 of my 6lbs pork butt smoke. My BGE has been rock solid at about 210 the entire time. I've been really good and haven't opened the lid once, Can't wait to see what it looks like once it is done. Internal temp is about 186 and slowly rising. I figure a full 24 hours and it will hit temp to pull it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

$1500 will get you in the door with a new large BGE with nest and other poo poo, or a used XL BGE with nest and other poo poo from an Eggfest. However there's plenty of gadgets from auto temp controls, plate setters, racks, etc. $1500 would go a long way but I don't think you need that to start.

I guess I am super lucky with my local dealer, they used to sell Large eggs for 629.00. Until the BGE company told them they had to sell for list as every other distributer in a 3 state radius was bitching. So to make up having to sell for suggested retail they include enough eggcessories to bring the price back down to 629.00 :)

I got my large egg, table, and all the basic stuff to go with it for just over $1000. Needless to say they have very loyal return customers

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Seconding the wrapping a pork shoulder in tinfoil and blankets and placing it in a cooler. It will stay hot/warm for hours. I've also had good luck doing that with turkeys and chickens as well.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Its not meat, but it should be drat tasty. 3 blocks of Habanero Jack, a Sharp Cheddar, and Mozzarella. Can't wait to try them in about a months time.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

McSpankWich posted:

That looks awesome, I've tried to try smoke cheese, but every time it's been awful. What exactly is the process? I noticed you've sealed them inside an airless thing, how long does that actually have to sit in there? Does that matter? The two time's I've tried I ate it right off the grill and it was terrible, and then I put it in a ziplock in the fridge for a week, and it was still awful.

When you say awful, did it just taste really bad. Everything I have read says basically let it mellow out for atleast a month after smoking. That is why I vacuum seal it, since it lets me put it right into the fridge for storage without having to worry about having my fridge smell like smoke. I did notice on my last batch the Habanero Jack got way spicier the longer it sat after smoking.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

McSpankWich posted:

Yes, it tasted really bad. They both tasted like I was eating smoked oil, basically. If you could just run me through your process it would be most beneficial, thanks man.

I don't really do anything special. In order to keep the temps to a minimum I use an old soup can which I put a bunch of holes in for airflow. I then put a small amount of lit lump charcoal and then pile on wood chips. This time I used maple chips, mostly I stick with Apple wood as I am usually smoking chicken and I think it pairs well together. Once the smoke gets going past that initial burst I'll put the cheese on. I usually let it go for about 2 hours, this time I let it go for close to 3, so we shall see how that alters it when I get to try it out.

I know when I take the cheese off, mainly due to the fact that I am not pure cold smoking it, it is pretty oily. I will pat it down a bit with some paper towels before I go to put it in the vacuum bags. The first time I smoked cheese I of course tried it right away, I thought it was okay, my wife really liked it. I let it rest for a month and it was much much better.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Melthir posted:

So my fellow goons I have a ponderous question for you. Is free ever bad? I have a buddy that is getting out of the military and has a Chargriller duo
that he is giving away because he cannot fit it in his U-Haul. Is it worth taking to my house and picking up a Side fire box and attach it to the side for use as a smoker or would my money be better spent saving for a WSM, Egg, or Backwoods smoker?

My recommendation would be to save up for a dedicated smoker. I used a model that looked exactly like that but it was made by Red, I believe. It was last year 4th of July at my inlaws. It was an absolutely horrible experience, and I hated every minute I had to use it. The separate grill areas seemed really small, and the side firebox was so badly put together I had a massive problem with getting it to seal properly. I had to put a cinderblock on the top of the firebox to get it to stay down and seal.

I felt bad for them when my mother-in-law told me how much they had spent on it. They could have done so much more with a weber kettle and spent tons less.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I always smoke my chicken's at 225, but I never eat the skins so I don't care how rubbery the skin is. 225 till the chicken hits like 180-185 on my Egg and the pieces are literally hard to take off the grates without them pulling apart.

If I do chicken wings I will bump up the temps to 350-400 so I get crispy skin for my guests.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I highly recommend the weber rotisserie attachment if you have the larger weber. Food comes out amazing with it. Only not is that it doesn't seal as well as I would like between the top and bottom. I got a gasket kit for a XL Big Green Egg which I am going to place around the top and bottom of the ring insert to get a more air tight seal, planning on installing that this weekend.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Haha, thats hilarious. I had a similar experience, although the neighbor didn't call the fire dept, but she did come over into our yard freaking out thinking our house was on fire. the wife and I had a good laugh about that one. One the other hand, it is nice to know you have neighbors that kind of give a poo poo and are aware of something other than themselves.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Astronaut Jones posted:

Or, the HeaterMeter that a few of us have built (which kicks the WiFi Stoker's rear end.) :)

Have the instructions been updated recently. I really want to build one, but every time I have looked at the instructions or parts lists its just hella confusing to me.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Well I finally got around to building one of those Mini WSM's using the Smokey Joe Gold and Vasconia 32-qt steamer pot. It was pretty easy, only took a few hours this morning and I am super happy with how it turned out. It's so nice and portable I can bring it pretty much anywhere and smoke some meat. I am seasoning it right now, and plan on cooking some chickens on it tomorrow. It's been going for a few hours now and the temps are super stable at 225F so I am really happy about that.

Link to more pics
http://imgur.com/a/rZewc

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I was pretty surprised yesterday when I went to try out the first cook on my new little smoker. I had two 6lbs chickens and figured I would put one on the bottom rack and one on the top rack. I then quickly realized I could fit them both on one rack. So this little thing can hold 4 whole 6lbs chickens, way more than I thought it would be able to handle. They turned out really good too.

All in all a fun little project.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Steve Yun posted:

Can I ask about cold-smoking cheeses in here?

I just bought a cold-smoking kit
http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers/product/proq-cold-smoke-generator

If I do this in my Weber kettle and decide to smoke some cheese or salmon, should I also be putting tupperwares full of ice in there to keep the temperature cool? Is leaving cheese out at room temperature for 5-10 hours okay or a bad idea?

edit: VVV cool, thanks!

With the device you bought you should be fine. You can put some ice in there to help lower the temps, but it shouldn't matter to much, I've done it both ways with and without ice and neither seemed to affect the temps all that much in my BGE. Biggest advice I can give is to do it early in the morning or late in the evening when it is a bit cooler, and keep your grill out of direct sunlight. Also shouldn't need more than a few hours, I think I've done 4 hours before and that was probably overkill imo.

Here are two pics of my setup I posted a while back. This was the one time I decided to use ice. I generated my smoke using a small soup can with holes and just a lump or two or charcoal and some wood chips

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post413976792

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks wonderful, the skin looks crispy and all (keep hearing that smoking chicken makes the skin rubbery). Recipe / cooking procedure?

The skin was more crisp than usual, but it was still a bit on the rubbery side, def not up to grilled chicken standards. Those cooked at 210 for about 6 hours, the temp got up to 230 or so for the last hour. I realized I didn't need to fill the pie tin/heat diffuser with water on this cooker. I never stick to any particular recipe, just grab whatever spices look appealing in my cupboard, I always have pepper, garlic and onion powder, and the rest is usually just whatever else i feel like grabbing. I think had some sage on them if I remember right.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Found a semi-local BGE dealer going out of business.

Niss and those who have one, what's a fair offer on a large? He tried to sell me one for 1100 with nest, wings, ash tool and 20lb charcoal and I laughed at him. He said to make him an offer.

I don't really want the nest as I'd like to build a table.

Thoughts?

If its new I wouldn't go any higher than $800 at the most. 1100 is crazy. I guess it all depends on how badly he wants to get rid of his stock. Make sure he throws in a plate setter as well.

niss fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 22, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Yeah. I don't want any of the accessories mostly because I am going to build a table. Plate setter, etc i can buy anytime.

I will probably offer 550 for just the egg considering I will have to schlep to get it and set it up myself. I suspect he will say no and that'll be that.

Edit: and LOL this guy went off the hinges when I offered 700 for just the egg.

Try back in a week or two when he is more desperate for cash.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Smoking three of these today, can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll make sure to post pics of the results.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

I broke that dealer's will to live and the BGE comes home today. I beat the used egg fest price by over 200 dollars so I am pretty happy.

Building a table too.

Awesome. Glad it all worked out for you.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
The fatties were a huge hit, everyone loved them. I thought they turned out really well for my first time doing it, though I think I could have pulled them from the smoker just a bit earlier than I did. They did get a pretty nice smoke ring going on which I was happy to see. Used my new little mini smoker for these, since I was not at my house to do them on the BGE.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Potential BFF posted:

My dad recently bought a BGE and his birthday is coming up. He's got a wireless meat thermometer but he's mentioned he'd like to get a wireless sensor for the dome as well. Does anyone have any recommendations? I checked a few BGE forums and they mentioned this Maverick setup. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just got that same Maverick setup this past weekend, and I am really happy with it so far. Only done one cook with it, doing another today but it worked great. Very pleased with it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Why this over the Heatermeter?

Obviously a Heatermeter or one of the other devices with automatic temperature control is going to be superior. For not spending extra money for a prebuilt unit, or tackling building one myself I think the Maverick is a good compromise. I'll eventually either get up the nerve to tackle building one or just go lazy and buy one of the prebuilt units.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Digital_Jesus posted:

I use Dragons Breath: http://dragonbreathcharcoal.com

Fantastic stuff.

Seconding this, Our local BGE dealer carries it and it is great. They push it over the BGE brand and they sell both for the same price.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Check out the ceramic grill store online. Maybe their spider product is what you're looking for?

I have used the spider with their smaller stone in place of my plate setter quite a few times, works out well.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

ixo posted:

There's always the XXL option too, though I've never seen one for sale

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/xxl-is-a-big-hit/ :byodood:

OMG. my local dealer told us this was in the works but they thought it was going to be another year and a half or so. I so want one.

Speaking of hi temp cooking, did some burgers last night on my egg, forgot I left the dampers wide open, came out ten mins later and the temp guage was wrapped back around to 250. I figure thats pretty close to 1000 :)

niss fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Anyone that is around the NW Florida area and is interested in a BGE Demo Day Egg, here is your chance.

http://pensacolaeggfest.com/?page_id=83

This is being put on by the same place that I purchased my egg from. Brand new it was a really good deal, so I imagine that demo units will be priced pretty reasonable as well.

A friend and I are planning on cooking at the event, should be a good time.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
any time I have had to do a massive cleaning on my weber kettle I just usually purge it with fire. Does a great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I went with the Maverick, and have been very happy with it.